Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Yeah honestly it just sounds like you need to play more Loopoo. I was also frustrated initially at spawn peeks and defenders popping out of windows, but it's part of the game (aside from one or two bullshit spawn peeks). You'll learn the common peeks soon enough and keep a wary eye for windows with bits knocked off of them. On a lot of maps there are windows facing common rappelling surfaces across the map. You have to drone those out or clear them personally before attacking the main objective.

For Fuze you have to keep in mind that rappelling is loud as gently caress. If you scootch up to a window on the objective and place a charge when everything is quiet, you're gonna get blasted. I try and save my Fuze charges for floors or walls imo. Much harder to hear that placement and often more unexpected.

EDIT:
Also when you're trying out peeking for yourself, be sure to check surroundings for drones. If a defender spots you setting up for a peek just give it up. Pop a hole in the boards before the round starts if possible, to avoid making noise when the attackers have already spawned. Don't hang around the window once you've gotten a few shots off. Unless you're using a silencer it's usually pretty obvious where you're shooting from.

IronDoge fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
Like on Kanal, if you spawn far right, don't run up the little hill. Run down behind the shipping containers. People often peek from the third floor server room.

Or spawning from entrance of Chalet, always run to the side behind the trees.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Loopoo posted:

Spawn peekers and defenders who jump out of windows to kill you as you're rappelling the wall infuriate me to no end, especially when they get away scot free. I was playing as Fuze, stuck one of my cluster charges on the window of the 2nd floor, Valk smashes the window and vaults out. She kills me then manages to leg it back inside before my teammates kill her.

How the gently caress can I utilize Fuze's cluster charges if most enemies at Gold rank have the hearing of a loving bat and can either spray me at the window or vault out and kill me?

The game has a sick and twisted way of letting things play out: enemy spawn peekers seem to always be alright, even if I'm looking out for them. However, when I try to spawn peek, I'm instantly punished and shot down.

That's really the hot and cold of this game. As infuriating as that stuff is, countering it is equally(or even more so) rewarding. Setting a drone up inside when you see someone prepping for a runout or spawn peek, then baiting and destroying them through the wall or while they are helplessly in the vault animation is one of the most beautiful parts of this game. Stay on top of youtube videos and blindfire the newest spot serenity has made popular. Do the kill-cam head shake to show your disappointment with their lack of originality.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Bank is still the worst for spawn peeking and it really hasn't been fixed all that well. Instead of jumping out and doing it from 2 feet like you originally could you can now spawn kill once you move out 6 feet.

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
claymores are the only weapon worth using

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFSH3-MLKjk

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Something weird's going on - I can get through a single round without problems, but from the second round onwards, any time the game plays a new sound, my fps drop to 0 for at least half a second. I've verified the game's integrity a few times, and this keeps happening. Anyone else encountered and resolved this problem before?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

It's the worst feeling in the world to get killed by sombody rushing/peeking outside. But it's the best feeling in the world to counter that.

Bonus points if the person quits after you kill them :allears:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

automaticswim posted:

claymores are the only weapon worth using

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFSH3-MLKjk

i never even thouggt of trying this, thats amazing drone bait

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I was super tilted last night, but reading all the advice and feedback you posted was awesome.

Played some casual today with a friend who just got the game, and god drat was it an ego boost. I was flashbanging rooms and rushing in and clearing out whole swathes of enemies. My mate was like "drat you're good", and my ego was getting fed like crazy. He's pretty drat good himself, he's got thousands of hours of CSGO under his belt, so he has sick reflexes. Just everything else he has to learn anew, like map layouts, what not to do, etc etc.

Play some casual and hope you get a garbage enemy team, it'll completely remove your salt.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
The only trick to this game is getting your map knowledge down. It takes a long time, but once you start developing a feel for the flow of maps, you're golden.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Rolling around in a 3-man team on Discord makes all the difference. Our ranked matches aren't so brutal anymore because we can watch out for each other and give pointers. If Friend A gets into an engagement and the enemy gets away, they'll throw intel out there that can help the rest of us catch the person fleeing.

Most satisfying thing ever is when you're slowly closing in on a singled out enemy away from the objective, and you've covered all the exits. It's great when the crossfire tears their rear end apart.

PSA: having a level 3 friend who just got the game today playing ranked opens up a whole lot of toxic behaviour: "reported for hacking" "gently caress off you smurf". No one stops to think that this friend of mine has an insane amount of hours on csgo, so his twitch reflexes are up to scratch. Observing him in spectator is so hilarious, cause he's ridiculously jumpy and his crosshair just snaps onto the enemy's head. It's great. Only reason I do better than him is cause I've got more experience in the game, but his aiming and reflexes make me look like a chump. Every defender match, he just roams and gets about 3 kills.

Edit: Can enemies hear when you shout "Reloading" or "Drone is active", or when Pulse whips out his sensor and yells whatever it is he yells? Or is that teammates only?

Qubee fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 21, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Voiced lines are team only but they didn't use to be. I snuck up on a hiding Thermite once; I only found him because I heard him yell out he was getting on the drone. You could also hear them yelling about reloading.

I'm glad they changed it.

Edit: They can hear all other gadget sounds though. They won't hear Pulse yelling but can hear his gadget go on and off.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
A thing happened last night and I put it on the internet for your viewing pleasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXXxto7iy9g

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Voiced lines are team only but they didn't use to be. I snuck up on a hiding Thermite once; I only found him because I heard him yell out he was getting on the drone. You could also hear them yelling about reloading.

I'm glad they changed it.

Edit: They can hear all other gadget sounds though. They won't hear Pulse yelling but can hear his gadget go on and off.

This isn't exactly true. I know for sure you can hear the "wall reinforced" callout as an attacker if someone is reinforcing a wall near you.
But yeah, gadget sounds are global for sure.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

There is some leeway like that. I imagine anything that you could hear being done (reinforcing a wall, putting up a door/window) will still have the voice associated. I just never really paid attention.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
What gets me in this game is that I will hear a sound, and swear it's coming from just down the hall, but really it travelled from upstairs but sounds like it's right next to me.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Nickname Pending posted:

What gets me in this game is that I will hear a sound, and swear it's coming from just down the hall, but really it travelled from upstairs but sounds like it's right next to me.

Yeah thats cause you're not used to sound propagation of this kind in video games. It gets extra fucky with Mira windows, those things let no sound pass throught.

It's great.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Glaz is making this game unfun imho.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Basticle posted:

Glaz is making this game unfun imho.

I haven't seen him so much now after the nerf. Only on certain maps and they were Glaz maps before the buff.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm sitting on a whopping 40k renown and I can't do poo poo with it. I've got all operators, AFAIK I can't unlock skins with this. Is there a way to gift it to a friend, or buy an operator for him? Poor guy is grinding his rear end off trying to get the new season operators, and I'm poo poo outta luck when it comes to helping him.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Loopoo posted:

I'm sitting on a whopping 40k renown and I can't do poo poo with it. I've got all operators, AFAIK I can't unlock skins with this. Is there a way to gift it to a friend, or buy an operator for him? Poor guy is grinding his rear end off trying to get the new season operators, and I'm poo poo outta luck when it comes to helping him.

You can unlock skins with it. Go on a fashion shopping spree.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Loopoo posted:

Use it to buy dildos.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Use it to buy dildos.

Dildo Charms*

Nothing like a great big dragon cock attached to the side of my P90 to strike true fear into my enemies hearts.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Zaphod42 posted:

:eyepop: WOW. That's seriously hosed up. This is like, "the guy who wrote that code got fired and nobody understands what the gently caress he did" or "the code has become such a mess of spaghetti that nobody can debug it" It shouldn't happen.

Lol dude have you ever worked in enterprise level IT? It happens all the time. My giant faceless corporation has to call dudes on the regular that we don't employ anymore and beg them for their insider knowledge on how old poo poo is built. Or hire them back as "consultants" at twice at what they were making.

Nickname Pending posted:

This, I hate this. This game needs proper 5.1 support.

Gr4vyB04t fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 22, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AnElegantPeacock posted:

Lol dude have you ever worked in enterprise level IT? It happens all the time. My giant faceless corporation has to call dudes on the regular that we don't employ anymore and beg them for their insider knowledge on how old poo poo is built. Or hire them back as "consultants" at twice at what they were making.

I work in enterprise level development :v: Yes, I know, but its still a huge fuckup and isn't supposed to happen. Good teams work hard to prevent that kinda stuff, even if in the real world lots of teams are lovely and that stuff happens.

Like, yeah, it does definitely happen, but its stupid. Good documentation and code review prevent that kinda huge waste of time.

Its more common to have some bastard operator from hell in IT than in dev I guess.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Zaphod42 posted:

I work in enterprise level development :v: Yes, I know, but its still a huge fuckup and isn't supposed to happen. Good teams work hard to prevent that kinda stuff, even if in the real world lots of teams are lovely and that stuff happens.

Like, yeah, it does definitely happen, but its stupid. Good documentation and code review prevent that kinda huge waste of time.

Its more common to have some bastard operator from hell in IT than in dev I guess.

I work in enterprise level operations :v:. Please stop blaming us for your lovely code.

Nah nah, I kid, you dudes are alright. I get a kick out of calling you nine to fivers at three in the morning when something breaks.

I totally agree about good documentation and all that nonsense saving a bunch of headaches but man, I work in the super serious financial sector and our documentation is a mess. I can't imagine how bad it is in some free wheeling "creative" enterprise like game development. Give Hard and company a break. Making games is hard. Making online games doubly so.

Sorry for the derail.

Back to more pressing matters.

That glaz sure is something. He makes folks glow yellow. Can you believe that?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Casual is so messed up, I feel bad for new players. It's a hit and miss whether you'll be up against Plats or utter rookies. So being brand new to this game and getting matched against such high ranks is probably off-putting. I remember when I first bought the game, I played Casual, and it seemed my luck was at an all time low. I was matched against players way out of my league and it made me put the game down for a few months, before I just braced myself and played until I was level 20 and could go Ranked.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Heads up: There's currently a Union Jack weapon charm available if you complete a challenge to win 10 rounds in defensive mode.

I'm not exactly sure what 'defensive mode' means though, I figured it meant wins in multiplayer on defense, but those don't seem to be counting... is it terrorist mode??

AnElegantPeacock posted:

Nah nah, I kid, you dudes are alright. I get a kick out of calling you nine to fivers at three in the morning when something breaks.

I totally agree about good documentation and all that nonsense saving a bunch of headaches but man, I work in the super serious financial sector and our documentation is a mess. I can't imagine how bad it is in some free wheeling "creative" enterprise like game development. Give Hard and company a break. Making games is hard. Making online games doubly so.

Sorry for the derail.

Yeah, I had a past job where even the devs had to take beeper duty and be on call, and I had to fix a few servers at 3 in the morning when it was raining outside and I couldn't SSH in so I had to drive to the drat location... overall not my thing. I like the 9 to 5 grind.

Its both, but in some ways you'd be surprised. As much as game companies are "free wheeling creative types", businesses tend to be run by execs with no technical background whatsoever, and so they overlook how important certain things can be, and refuse to pay the extra money to do things the right way (and then pay way more in the long run fixing the mistakes) but the game industry can surprise you, more of the people in charge tend to have a understanding of how critical development is, and games industry somehow manages to attract good programmers and convince them to work hard for less pay, so they can get away with more. I only worked in the game industry briefly, and things weren't perfect, but from what I saw people do give a poo poo about doing things the right way. Plus most successful businesses have learned to cut the costs on development, and avoiding those kinds of major issues is a good way to keep your games on-budget and on-schedule.

But its not unheard of. I remember hearing the developers for EVE Online admitted they wanted to patch the warp code long ago, but none of the current employees understood how it worked or wanted to try to figure it out. They finally re-wrote it and improved it, but they put off doing so for a long time because of how much work that was involved in either reverse-engineering how it worked or just re-writing it completely.

I've been there, I've been in enterprise situations where you're supporting some code you wrote 2 years ago that you thought would barely get used and now everything depends upon it and you can't go back and re-write it and you're stuck with all these limitations, but... all the more reason to be cautious of that kinda poo poo in the future!

But yeah anyyyyyways.

First match of Siege tonight and I got some guy spamming "eat my anus" in chat over and over. :sigh: It was just casual though so I just dropped the match and queued up again. Had a few good rounds, got MVP twice. Booyah.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

I get u bb. Let's stop fighting and shoot mans in the face together 😘😘😘.

I was almost MVP last night twice but got deposed by two goons. I believe it was Tythas that scanned a bunch of dudes in the last round just to knock me off the top of the leaderboard :argh:

Gr4vyB04t fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Apr 22, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Union Jack charm is fifteen rounds I thought.

And defensive mode is just defense rounds in multiplayer.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The only charm worth a poo poo is the toucan charm.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How is Thatcher these days? I tend to play Twitch and Buck as my attackers but sometimes they're both taken. Am looking for a third attacking operator and was tempted by IQ but she doesn't feel that great sometimes? I just need as much practice as possible tbh

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Flipswitch posted:

How is Thatcher these days? I tend to play Twitch and Buck as my attackers but sometimes they're both taken. Am looking for a third attacking operator and was tempted by IQ but she doesn't feel that great sometimes? I just need as much practice as possible tbh

Thatcher is awesome because almost every round requires his EMP grenades: whether it's wiping out Mute's poo poo, or getting rid of Valk cams that you just can't find. His gun is really nice too, I've been using him lately and it's really satisfying and doesn't have awful recoil.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

AnElegantPeacock posted:

I haven't seen him so much now after the nerf. Only on certain maps and they were Glaz maps before the buff.

what nerf?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Basticle posted:

what nerf?

He can't blow massive chunks out of walls so easily, and he can't shoot Castle's barricades out with like 4 bullets. Shooting at destructible walls now takes a lot more shots to reveal a smaller piece, and Castle's barricades need a hell of a lot more bullets to destroy.

About drat time, Glaz was waltzing through maps and making kill holes everywhere before this nerf, it was ridiculous. Shooting the ceiling out from above you and just sniping everyone, and you can't do poo poo, cause peeking against a Glaz that you aren't 100% sure of his position is suicide.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Wish they made these country charms unique instead of the lowest effort poo poo imaginable. The Commonwealth one was really sad.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Thatcher has the same problem that pre-Hibana Thermite had; his gadget is boring but almost required and his guns are nothing special. Sure, you have Twitch that can replace him but the Shock Drone is far less reliable for removing batteries and jammers.

Maybe Thatcher's grenades could disable the announcer for the same amount of time that gun sights are disabled? Get caught in the blast and you won't know when someone enters the objective, grabs the hostage, or plants the defuser until it wears off. Gives him something to do besides take out a wall of jammers.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Disabling in game comms from the announcer would be good. I'll keep playing old man Thatch I think he is cool. Like I said I play a lot of Twitch as well as I like that supportive element of gameplay.

I've been wanting to learn to play Kapkan a lot better too, been wondering if it's worth planting his EDDs after the planning phase as you're flanking and roaming so you can get your regular prep done with his slow rear end.

That or just play Frost.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Thatcher has the same problem that pre-Hibana Thermite had; his gadget is boring but almost required and his guns are nothing special. Sure, you have Twitch that can replace him but the Shock Drone is far less reliable for removing batteries and jammers.

Maybe Thatcher's grenades could disable the announcer for the same amount of time that gun sights are disabled? Get caught in the blast and you won't know when someone enters the objective, grabs the hostage, or plants the defuser until it wears off. Gives him something to do besides take out a wall of jammers.

Maybe disabling the HUD as well, or at least the outlines/icons of teammates. It would force the hit defenders to play more conservatively to not shoot teammates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Rectus posted:

Maybe disabling the HUD as well, or at least the outlines/icons of teammates. It would force the hit defenders to play more conservatively to not shoot teammates.

The problem there is that you can disable at least the outlines in the options already, not sure about icons. Has to be something you normally can't disable or need to rely on.

• Locked thread