Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So hey, I'm looking for a new shooter, and apparently this has matured into a legitimately good game by now. So now I'm mostly just wondering about two things: How approachable is this for a newcomer at this point? Can you pick it up and do reasonably well in short order, or am I just gonna get murdered 24/7 by the veterans until I know all the ins and outs?

Secondly, how grindy is it on average? They're offering that starter edition right now, which is cheaper but makes all the regular characters cost 12,500 of the in-game currency. Is that the kind of thing you could reasonably get over the course of a few days/weeks of active playing, or would I be stuck grinding for months on end until I can afford the next character? How important is it to have a wider selection of characters, and how much of the ingame currency do you need for other assorted stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Alright, gonna roll with the regular edition, then. Thanks for the input y'all!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So, after the servers of course decided to crap out on the very day I got this game, I finally had the opportunity to get a few rounds in. I'm still at the "get shot in the back of the face because I forgot you can just make holes into barricades" stage, but I'm slowly finding my footing and had a few fun successes. Best moment so far was rappelling in through a window and shooting three dudes in the back while they were busy having a firefight with my allies on the other side of the objective. Worst moment was a dude on my team repeatedly calling me a "level 8 retard" and teamkilling me at the start of the round for picking IQ, which is apparently just not done. But I voluntarily took on that risk when deciding to roll with pubbies in an online shooter, so who cares. :v:

Anyhow, I'm looking for a little advice on the weapon selection. I mean, it's easy enough to decide between a shotgun and an automatic weapon, but I don't really know what to take when there are several assault rifles, SMGs, or LMGs available for a character. At this point I'm not really looking to min/max my dps or anything of the sort yet, I'm mostly just wondering whether there are any standout weapons that are particularly good or garbage that I should look out for. Same question for attachments, so far I've just been slapping reflex sights, vertical foregrips, and compensators on everything, with the occasional suppressor on certain attackers when I'm feeling fancy. Also, is there ever a point to rolling with a ballistic shield on Fuze?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Alright, thanks for the gun advice! I hadn't expected the machine pistols would be any good, but they've actually served me pretty well so far. In return, have some gifs:

Judicious marksmanship right there. I'd just started reloading as he came around the corner, hence the pistol switch:
http://i.imgur.com/UpDnhYJ.mp4

Fuze.mp4 (this was Hostage):
http://i.imgur.com/OGanxJ6.mp4

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 13, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

AbortRetryFail posted:

Max Speed + Minimum gadget:

Ash / IQ / Capitao
Jaeger / Caveira kind of

Slower dudes with minimum gadget:

Sledge / Buck / Blackbeard
Rook

Gadget user but you might like:
Thatcher (destroys electronic gadgets with EMP grenades, sometimes pretty important you throw one at a wall your team is trying to breach though)
Pulse (heartbeat scanner gadget but it helps find people to shoot)

Yeah, even as a garbage newguy I've had a lot of success with Thatcher so far. He's got good guns and the gadget is both useful and dead simple to use. Just throw the thing at electrified walls and into the objective room and you've already contributed a fair bit. Additionally he seems to be a fairly rare pick, so I'm not feeling like I'm gimping my team by keeping an important pick out of the hands of somebody who actually knows what they're doing. IQ is pretty similar that way, but with her most of the time it seems to boil down to "Oh hey, there's a gadget there... and now I have no idea what to do with that information."

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

afkmacro posted:

That's a garbage concept imo that a lot of game devs have latched on since the days of the first gpus when they figured out lens flares and crap. It should never look like a camera would work, it should attempt to emulate the human eye.

I think Splinter Cell actually did that for its multiplayer. When you moved from a bright area into a darker one, it would initially be very dark but gradually brighten as your eyes adjusted. From what I remember it was a bit gimmicky and superfluous since there were so many other ways to enhance your vision, but it was a nice attempt.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 27, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Man, I wish I was up more often against dudes that happily shoot into your shield when I'm rolling as Monty or Blitz. Sometimes it feels like my shield is just for decoration while everybody accurately nails me in the gun arm or head. :arghfist::saddowns:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

A comedy in three acts:

I even heard him run in, but I figured, "oh, that's just my teammate who was right next to me just a second ago". :downs:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CJ posted:

Out of curiosity, what causes the downgrades from first reveal to launch like Siege's reveal video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wlvYh0h63k

The Watchdogs downgrade makes sense because it was before the console specs were launched, but this trailer was a year after the current gen of consoles launched. Don't you know what you're working with at that point?

It's often not so much a deliberate downgrade, but rather that very early demos like that are functionally almost separate projects from the intended final product. At that point you usually don't yet have the game just laying about in a playable state and just need to load up the most recent build and record a round or two. Instead, you split off a team and have them slap together something playable to present a vertical slice of what you plan to have, rather than what you actually have. That often involves quite a bit of original work on their part, using placeholder assets and stuff made only for this particular demo. And yes, since a demo is intended to look nice, they often crank up the graphical fidelity as far as feasible when they have no firm idea about the hardware requirements and art direction of the final product yet.

Or, to put it another way, imagine that making a game or another piece of software is like building a house. People tend to imagine that a demo like this is just like going into a room that's already finished and taking a couple of pictures. But in actuality, at that point in time you actually don't have any rooms yet. Hell, you probably only just have a bare framework of the house, if that. So instead you assign a couple of people to go out and essentially build a tiny little miniature house. They'll use the same materials that you use for the main house, follow the same general design, but in the end they more or less make the thing from scratch and it doesn't really have much to do with the main house except from looking sort of similar.

Well, at least that's my general impression of how things tend to work. For all I know some Ubisoft exec might have been giggling his head off while ordering the devs to cut out volumetric lightning because the peasants don't deserve it. :v:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Take the French shotgun. Take it, use it, love it. FBI shotguns are garbage, Frost's is good, haven't used Valk/Cav/Mira/Jackal's enough to know.

Truth. I've recently started ditching the MP5 in favour of the shotguns for Doc and Rook and it's hilarious. Particularly as Rook, where you can just absorb their pitiful little bullets with impunity and walk up to them Terminator-style before blasting their face off. Plus you get the revolver along with it, and beaning a guy in the head with that from across the map is a super smug feeling as well.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh hell yeah, just got my first ace. Even managed to turn around a game where we were 2-5 behind. Behold as pure dumb luck manages to carry me through my inability to lean properly and spot cameras in time: https://streamable.com/hsaa9

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 7, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

swims posted:

Yeah that's the gun I use use with IQ but I hate the drum mag aesthetic.

Thatcher has the 33 and I use that with 2 burst but was hoping there was a legit maxed out heavy G3.

Twitch has the HK 417, which I guess is sort of an updated G3. Buck has the CAMRS, which is a souped-up FN FAL. No idea whether either of those are any good though, they're locked to semi-auto so I haven't really given them a try yet because my aim is too garbage to deal with that. :shrug:

Also, count me in for the AR33 users, because gently caress the L85 on general principle. :colbert:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I don't care that they're not technically as optimal as assault rifles, I'm gonna be rocking shotguns forever just for moments like these:

http://i.imgur.com/FZ2vHP5.mp4

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Orv posted:

I don't understand why the GROM operator is Strictly Worse Echo.

I guess it might boil down to how big and conspicuous the mines and up being. If they're small enough to easily hide behind doorways or even on ceilings (if you can actually throw them) I could see them being useful as it'd be easier to coordinate and exploit their effect than with Echo. But if they're a big old Jäger-style "look there's a thing here" affair you might as well go with Frost or Kapkan instead, since their traps actually kill people.

Come to think of it, I wonder whether Lesion's thingies will be visible to IQ. If yes, that might give her a nice boost in general usefulness.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

IceOrb posted:

Finally got my first ACE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEm8wDvrMcY

Can cross that item off the list now.

Goddamn, I need to get into the habit of using my drone way more.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

http://i.imgur.com/4hMwkQA.mp4
:discourse:

It only contained some ugly garbage Castle helmet, but it's the thought that counts.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Rectus posted:

That could be workable if it was the operators primary weapon. Good against corners, but counterable by rushing them while the gun is turned.

Yeah, if it'd be just a pistol like in that picture I could see it being alright. Unless you nail a guy right in the face, they would still have an opportunity to react. Perhaps add a mandatory laser sight to it, so the defenders would actually have a chance to see it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Thief posted:

you've never encountered someone running hibana shotgun/pistol setup for the lols yet in ranked games, have you?

flashes in general are considered "broken" comedy options by most of the ppl that play this game even though they work well enough imo.

e: simply bringing them into a match can cause tryhards to rage - they're the same kind of ppl in cs:go that sperg out about eco rounds and the exact optimal guns to buy using a highly upvoted flowchart @ silver II

One time a guy got super mad and teamkilled me (in casual) because I was using the P90 as Doc. I just thought it looked pretty. v:shobon:v

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

IceOrb posted:

It's part of Tachanka's buff.

See he gets turrets that regenerate over time and can place a maximum of 7 turrets.

Next update is a long piece of string, so that you can link all the turrets together and fire them at the same time. :getin:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

I don't know how the gently caress you would ever be able to see these in a normal game. It's the absolute ultimate troll OP because you basically force the enemy team to run IQ/thatch and once they're dead you're hosed (especially on hostage)

Plus you get loving 7 of them!

If they're detectable by IQ, wouldn't that imply that they're also destructible by Thatcher's grenades? That seems like something that might help against the spam as well.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Hey all. I've been lurking this thread for a few weeks and watching stuff related to this game because I need a PC shooting fix (been out for long playing RPGs and such) and was wondering about jumping on this game.

I missed the free weekend on steam to test out how well will it run on my pc ( i72600k, GTX960 2Gb, 16Gb DDR3 @1600 and two Samsung SSD where I can install it), and while I don't care for ultra or high settings, I don't want to jump if it'll chug even on medium. I'm confused about the starter edition, gold, year 2 pass and that. I played the mess that the open beta was years ago and I see the game came a long run wich is nice and see that is a fun romp.

Any tips on what pack should I pick on steam? (I know it runs on uplay but I hate not having it on steam, also sales!) and if it's a big grind if I just pick the starter edition.

I also noticed that there's no console thread at all so wondering if there are console goons in here or is just PC players.

I was in the same situation a few weeks back, and the resounding thread consensus was "for the love of god, don't pick the starter edition". And after playing for a while, I'll absolutely agree on that point. I was able to unlock all the 20 vanilla operators (plus assorted weapon customisations) after about ~15-20 hours played, and one of the DLC ones after about the same time again. By comparison, with the starter edition I'd only have been able to unlock a grand total of 4 operators in the same time. So unless you're looking to play with the same handful of operators for literally hundreds of hours, just go with the standard edition. Really, half the fun of the game is trying out whatever operator you currently feel like at the moment, and the starter edition just cuts that out for you.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Trap meta is real.

Also, I dunno where they zeroed the default ranking for the new casual matchmaking, but so far my experience has been getting shot in the head within .0003 seconds of showing my face anywhere.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ran into what appears to be a reproducible bug: If you're playing Secure Area on plane, the container will sometimes be un-spottable by the drones in the pre-game phase. You can do donuts right in front of it but it'll never be marked. Specifically when it spawns in the middle section among the seating (why yes, I am garbage at calling locations :downs:).

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Roobanguy posted:

tactical yoga pants

Still more appropriate than Lesion's silly-rear end knickerbockers.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of weird bugs:
http://i.imgur.com/xK90TYK.mp4

I'd only just joined, so everything was still loading in

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Sultan Tarquin posted:

https://streamable.com/b3qir

I call bullshit on kapkans traps. On my screen I didn't touch the laser and it exploded as I was walking backwards away from it :colbert:

The Kapkan trap isn't actually triggered by the laser. No, like Kapkan himself, it senses your fear.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

Please stop including the red crow/dust line whatever head gears in the drop list, it's just insult to injury then since they're already cheap and awful looking.

Yeah, sometimes I wish I could just outright disqualify some items from the list because gently caress that:

http://i.imgur.com/7u1S3CB.mp4
Never went from :haw: to :saddowns: so quickly.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kikas posted:

What the hell dude that's a sick skin

Pulse almost always looks like a massive dweeb, but with that skin he looks like an edgy teenager cosplaying at the local airsoft range. :colbert:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Sometimes Montagne can be pretty fun even if you never get to personally kill anyone: https://streamable.com/cc7q3

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tumble posted:

Is it possible to get into this game now, or will I get my noob rear end stomped into the ground if I buy it?

As somebody who's been in the same boat two months ago, it's really not bad at all. Basically, no matter how bad you are, there will always be people worse than you. The initial learning curve is a tad steep since a lot of the game relies heavily on map knowledge, but as long as you can just imitate what your team does and click heads you'll do alright. Hell, I actually managed to get an ace just a few weeks into the game, which I'm still unreasonably smug about.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fourth ranking match, proceed to get absolutely murdered. Just being utterly ruined each round, and getting only a single kill when I got lucky and managed to catch an enemy from behind. Afterwards it turns out it was me (still in ranking, usually around bronze/silver), two other guys in ranking, and two silvers, up against one diamond and one gold in the opposing team. Apparently the diamond guy was some fancypants esports bigwig, too, and scored about 80% of his team's kills.

I... guess that's matchmaker's way of telling me I have potential? v:shobon:v

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

https://streamable.com/emkws

Pubbies :psyduck:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

They should steal the three-dot Predator-style lasersight that one of the Battlefields had. I'd slam that sucker on every single gun I have.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

This is on the test server. People have been posting and showing off these changes on the subreddit.

And here's some of the recoil patterns. I'm still on the side of "this is stupid as hell."

https://imgur.com/a/7hhIc

I mean, I can kinda understand the idea of having some guns pull more to one side, and others pulling upwards harder. But why the gently caress would they go in a zigzag shape?!

:psyduck:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

quote:

We do not want to overwhelm the players with an insane amount of recoil patterns to learn, so he have divided them into families. Each family will all have the same kind of pattern, while having small differences to make sure they still feel different from one another.

The weapons have been divided as such:

AUG A2, Type-89, F2, C7E, AR33, G36C, L85A2, 556xi, PARA-308
552 commando, AK-12, C8SFW, 416-C, R4C
G8A1, M249, 6P41, T-95 LSW, PDW9, P90, Scorpion EVO 3 A1
MP5k, MP5, FMG-9, T-5, MP5SD, MPX, 9x19VSN, MP7
MK17 CQB
SMG-11, Bearing 9, Vector .45 ACP

So, the division is:
-A bunch of assault rifles
-A different bunch of assault rifles with no particular thing distinguishing them from the first group
-Machine guns and a few submachine guns (:psyduck:)
-A different bunch of submachine guns
-One single rifle for some reason
-Two secondary machine pistols and one primary SMG

That seems like an intuitive and reasonable way to group these weapons together.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tumble posted:

Is there any reason to use a red-dot or holographic sight instead of a reflex? it seems like the reflex takes up less space on the gun and gives you more side view, so i don't really understand the point of the other ones

The relatively bright green colour can sometimes be difficult to see against lighter backgrounds, compared to the red. I'm pretty sure the red dot is also smaller than the reflex triangle, making it a bit easier to actually see your target at longer ranges.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Finally got me an ace, and now I'm feeling unreasonably smug about it: https://streamable.com/ofgwe

You can see the exact moment where I realised I'd just taken down the carrier :v:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 6, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/mPsoiGx.mp4

Pubbies :negative:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/2OLfpjq.mp4
:feelsgood:

Also just got my first hackusation, because I shot a guy through a barricaded window after he punched a hole into it and stood in front of the hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Thief posted:

gently caress you if you aren't excited for a cyberpunk waifu

also lol if each operator has their own ringtone

IQ's is totally gonna be https://youtu.be/51bhB7EKHdQ?t=43s

• Locked thread