Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
You're not alone in feeling bad, I'm loving awful at this game. I played maybe 30 hours when it just got released and picked it up again for this first time since this weekend. I got placed at bronze 4 after my ranked matches which luckily immediately got upgraded to silver 1, yeesh, the shame! I'm having a great time though, but the abuse I get after going something like 0-2-5 is incredible (I do also have good games one in a while).

I usually do ok on defense but am often the first to die on attacking. I generally try to pick dudes I think are fundamentally useful, like rook and the anti-nade guy, but on attack I'm in love with the manliest of men, sledge and montagne. Unfortunately I clearly have no idea what do with them. In my defense I usually pick last, so I don't steal them from anyone competent. I think what I lack more than anything is map knowledge, and maybe some headshot accuracy. Compared to cs and bf, where map knowledge is already super duper important, and which I used to be reasonable at, I really think it's even more important here, so I hope it'll get better once I don't spend most of the drone-time desperately trying to find out where the stairs even are. For some reason I usually do well on favelas, so it's become my favorite map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Have been having some pretty annoying connection problems, get disconnected from matches (uplay servers down) while friends keep playing etc. also getting in a squad is a massive chore. Any easy solutions?

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 7, 2016

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I'm not so sure I like the weird, 'lower/higher certainty', more accurate, part of the mmr system Since it's based on wins/losses it's essentially just an ELO system, but imagine if chess rankings had a part where the more games you've played the less points you gain/lose per game? That doesn't make sense at all. I'm not sure I entirely understand it though.

For example, if I play the first 100 matches with my goofball friends who are even more terrible than me, the system thinks it has figured my skill out and reduce the uncertainty of my skill evaluation, leading to lower gains/decreases in mmr-points, right? Meaning, once I ditch those losers I'll have a harder time moving up the ranks, because the system thinks it has pinpointed my skill with a low degree of uncertainty (or can the system re-evaluate? Like, oh boy, I sure pegged that dude wrong, he is winning all his matches now! Or is that just each 'season' reset?). Thought experiment: I lose the first 100 matches and win the next 100 matches (massively improving my ability) as I understand this system, that will get ranked lower than winning 100 matches, then losing 100 matches (a massive degradation in your ability). Right?

In the end it seems like this means that if you want to move up the ranks, you shouldn't play with newbies or bad friends, because it will literally make it harder for you to move up the ranks at a later point (even if your actual, real, skill doesn't change). If that is the case, then the system massively emphasizes playing with good players, "rewarding" (I know rank is not a reward) that play style even more than these types of games usually, and already, do (teamwork OP!). Realistically, you'll contribute 20% to your wins/losses, while other players contribute 80%, over enough games those 20% will be the deciding factor, but that only really holds true if you're playing solo, and if you're getting less and less points, depending on how well you did initially, doesn't that sorta gently caress the system up?

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Hard posted:

e: ^^ Exactly

The system attributed your initial rank based on the performance your team had in the placement matches yes but will constantly reevaluate depending on your streak and who you play against. Using 100 matches as an example is kind of intense since theres no way you're going to lose/win 100 games in a row. ( Unless you're that guy on reddit who aimed for copper1) Having bad placement matches won't ''stain'' your progression forever if you prove the system wrong by winning your next ranked matches.

You said it yourself the Ranks are not meant to act as rewards but more to ensure that you are in the right bracket and have fun ''fair'' matches against equally skilled players. If you're in squad with your friends while you being more skilled won't drag you down much since the system will try to match you against a fair group composed of your tryhard alterego and 4 other scrubs counterparts. Your copper friends won't have fun being matched against a 5-man plats squad as much as the plats won't really enjoy steamrolling your squad. (Well maybe but that's not manageable yet)

I do believe that everyone improves at their own pace and that a team with good comms can work wonders but if you feel like your internet buddies are a hindrance in your ascension to internet fame&glory then yeah, tell them to git gud or ditch them and queue solo.

Also to be noted that next season shouldn't hard reset like it did for season4. This was a major change and the reset was necessary but unless a major flaw has been found you should expect a soft reset like the previous seasons.

That's really cool, thanks for explaining it.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Me and my terrible friends are screwing around at the bronze/silver level, got matched against a silver and 4 coppers. Lost 200 points and got downgraded by 2 ranks. Harsh.

E:Usually get like 50 points on a win :(

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I managed to hit copper 1 without actually trying to do poorly. Granted I was mainly playing with friends who are not very good either. The potato bracket hell is real though, I'd say something like 80% of the matches has a person leaving or getting disconnected (uplay being loving awful doesn't help of course), and I even had someone complain about his touchpad not working properly :psyduck:

I spent yesterday evening soloing my way up to top silver, just because it was so awful.

I lost the most points by being pitted against teams of two good players with 3 potato league people. When I win those I gain maybe 40-50 points, but when I lose I lose around 150-200 (meaning I need a 3-1 win-loss ratio to break even). It's not happening THAT often, but each of those have a massive impact, and is demoralizing as hell.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I really like Hibanas rifle, but the 20 round mag is really bad in a lot of situations.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Kikas posted:

My buddy was killed by a Fuze explosion when he was setting up to breach the room Fuze was supposed to clear out. One of the grenades went right through the window into his face.

I lost 90% of my health by putting up the fuze injector on a side wall, rushing around to prepare to breach a door on the other side of the room (while the thing was firing) and one of the nades bounced hella far and exploded in front (below?) the door I was standing by.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I don't know how it is in the higher bracket, but since the patch, down in the wood league, fuze is even more of a terror than he used to be. Basically, whoever picks fuze the fastest is on top of the scoreboard.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Cup Runneth Over posted:

That depends on his certainty. He didn't say how much he gains each win, only that he was 20 points away from the next rank. If he loses 120 points for that defeat, he probably gains a somewhat similar share for a victory. As MMR certainty increases through completing more ranked matches, that should go down to a less volatile level.

I've several times lost around 150-200 points a single game, and for the most part i gain 30-40 on a win. For me it mostly has happened when the opposing team was 1-2 silver/gold with 3-4 unranked/copper.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

There is such consistent discrepancies between what I see in play, what I see in kill cams, and what spectators tell me I totally saw that I really never have any idea what's actually happening in this loving game

This is exactly my fetish issue as well. My ping is always very low and I've done terrible things to my router in order to try and see if I could fix it. It doesn't happen that often, but when it's really bad I only see the slightest pixel move on my screen and then I'm dead, but on the replay I see a dude stumbling into a room, looking around ponderously before finally putting his crosshair over my dude, empty his magazine and by sheer force of probability finally get me. Que the whole team laughing their asses of at my awfulness (in their defense I am pretty awful). I'm going to see if I can figure out to record and giffify it when it happens.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

CortezFantastic posted:

It's just the game itself. I have a 4690k and 16GB of RAM and this game just sometimes takes forever.

I think the thing is mainly an indicator for people using the 4k textures, but also people playing on a potato powered toaster connected to an etch-a-sketch on McDonalds wifi, or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
When I was real low in copper, I had a game, where one of my team-mates was complaining about how his trackpad was loving up. Which almost made me have shitfit about using a loving trackpad, until I realized I was in low copper, the awfulness was indeed inside me all along. People do fun/weird things,I'm sure a couple of people are using the steam controller and stuff. Pretty sure the vast majority use m/k on pc though.

• Locked thread