Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hard posted:

This is a really really bad post.
Tell that to my new weapon charm I want to equip all weapons with, or to the Spetsnaz and shield operators that have been useless for ages. :colbert:

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Also good lord, that chart is hideous.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

literally no one thinks that you loving weirdo. what's he going to do? plant subliminal messages in it?
Obviously go full Nazi with censorship, why do you think game is designed so that Ash and Smoke are in the opposite teams? :rolleye:

Hard this is your bi-daily reminder that not being able to mute an single person in chat is an epitome of stupidity in game design.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Imagine how much better the game would be if it wasn't saddled with a gently caress load of garbage ubisoft software.
It's too depressing to think about potential state of the game if the idea was adopted by a competent studio. In Planetside 2 the glaring problems at least were funny.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Caffeine IV posted:

I feel like I remember something about Thunt recoil being different from pvp, but maybe I'm insane???
I have seen this as well, but without any conclusive proofs. Some "pro" players appear to be practising aim on t-hunt, so it ought to be good enough to check the pattern difference.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Found that reddit post about t-hunt gunplay differences. As I was recalling it, nothing to seriously build upon.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I wonder if we will get a likeable map by season 8, when they release New Zelandese operators and rearrange furniture in House.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

my kinda ape posted:

All the DLC maps are good besides Yacht. Also I would totally love if they just released like 5 new maps that are just different houses.
No DLC maps are good, Border can be tolerable under certain circumstances.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

slap me and kiss me posted:

This, and use the same name and map picture for the loading screen, so you don't actually know which house you're playing in until you get to the prep phase.
Remove prep pictures too, and name all spawn points identically on all maps.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

What are the type of places castle's super boards good for? Can they still melee them?
1 Sledge swing or 12 melee hits. Good Castle barricade placing depends on map.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Foehammer posted:

I still maintain that Castle's value increases 10x if he saves his barricades until:
a) There is less than ~1 minute on the clock
b) There are only 1 or 2 players left on the enemy team
b) is why you Castle was useless earlier in the game, when the meta was to take breaching charges on every possible attacker. Conversely, that's also his strength in "pro" games, where people don't take breaching charges, but it is diminished due to nearly constant Sledge/Buck/Capitao picks on attack.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

We still really need the ability to chat mute single players on either team, tia.
The technology is not there yet.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

At least Uplay is better than Origin right now.
While Origin itself is fine, they didn't quite think straight designing the UI/UX for Battlefield 1.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ularg posted:

Finally finished my placement matches and got Silver 1. Perfect representation of how painfully average I am.
That's way below average.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Thief posted:

i must have lucked out because i have a .2 K:D ratio and placed in gold through matchmaker roulette.
That's not necessarily a function of performance, it depends on what you do. My K/D is garbage as well, but I constantly play with one-two tryhard roamer types so I just play as a support, babysitting reinforcements, gadget placements, cameras, and whatnot. There are diminishing returns to everything in this game, fragging including.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

My consistent problem is understanding when a room is just a death trap. Like, the entire room is 12 open angles one way or another. I feel like I need to hug the objective and die for it.
That and I'm really jumpy so when I get surprised by a sudden taking fire my hand jolts and I lose my orientation. I'm decent at fighting people I'm aware of though.
Jump scares and spooky spetsnaz ghosts will go away, just give it time. As for death trap rooms, just don't cross rooms across the middle if you don't know where is every enemy on the map. Work your way along the walls, walking not running, and just monitor majority of the entrances to the room. Cameras and drones help greatly in this regard.

Generally speaking, however, murderboxes vary in shape and form. Generally speaking, you should avoid making noise around any whatsoever destructible surfaces, unless you have a good hang of enemy position, and some sort of an action plan.

Black Griffon posted:

Is there something wrong with my sound or does no one ever talk in casual games? I'm on my last match before rank 20 now, and I've never heard a single word uttered.
Casual is bad for that kind of Siege, it certainly is not your sound. Unless you have explicitly disabled voice chat incoming audio in settings, which is enabled by default. If you don't see headphone icons around your teammates on the scoreboard, they don't have microphones at all. Even if they do, it takes higher ranks for people to start communicating, which is very ironic given that waste swathes of people in the lower ranking tiers are there only because newbie (and chronically bad) players do not tend to communicate, regardless of the game. It's slightly better in matches where you have separate button for basic callouts that can not be skipped, but it still is an issue.

Heran Bago posted:

Do you see the little headset icon but hear nothing?

Do you live in Europe?
Europeans talk, just not always in a common language. Talking doesn't get frequent until upper gold or so.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The VoIP in the game is terrible and I can't gear anyone and no one can hear me.

Can't drone on defense or I'd be all over that :(

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I try to use voice chat in casual but siege has the problem where its voice chat is loving total garbage and never works properly.

Siege is the only game where my friend's microphone is not not just not working, but not even being recognized by the game as existing. :(

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Heran Bago posted:

Echo can, but oddly it can't scan enemies or place markers.
That is a very wise design decision. Echo would be noticeably weaker if the developers did leave idiot teammates ability to mark from the drone.

Heran Bago posted:

I had this problem on the hearing side.

Try this: right-click on the volume icon in the taskbar, choose recording devices, set the one he's using to the default device and default communications device, then disable all the others.
We've already tried that and number of other things. Swapping devices, renaming them, alternating between defaults and non-defaults, doing that with Uplay/game relaunches to see if it can reattempt to figure out that there has been only a single loving recording device enabled on the computer from the dawn of ages, and what not. We both have spent good 30 hours of actual efforts to try and get this thing working, and no luck.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Duggler posted:

Have you changed the settings in the uplay overlay? Shift F2 and go to the settings tab
That is Uplay's separate voice chat, entirely separate from the game.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Thief posted:

mappers tend to forget about bathrooms because they only use them irl once every 3 liters of energy drink consumed
I think I would literally get an ailment of sorts after that much energy drinks.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Nope. Valkyrie cameras are the only type of camera/drone besides the basic one that your teammates can see and mark through. Only dead teammates can see through your Yokai, and only when you're looking through it.
So, I said that Echo's drone can not be used by teammates to mark enemies, and now you are disagreeing with that and saying that Echo's drone can not be used by teammates to mark enemies?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I mean, maybe I should clarify that only garbage players mark enemies from drones or cameras, select few scenarios asides, and doing so is the number one reason for either being shot. Less so with static cameras and the Twitch drone, but Valkyrie cameras and regular drones, generally speaking, can live indefinitely. But they seldom do because there's always that one trigger happy teammate to ruin it all and given enemy team endless stream of "WELP MATE, THERES AN ENEMY SPYING DEVICE LOOKING AT YOU RIGHT NOW" flashing across the screen in block-capital red letters.

Hence, I do believe that inability for teammates to mark from Yokai is a strong buff to Echo in public games.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

No. I am saying it is not a good design decision for the reason you provided, because that reason would not be applicable either way. Teammates could not mark through your drones even if you could.
I see what you mean now, but that seems to be a very convoluted angle to approach the argument, given that teammates can mark from every other drone. I can't say that it is a good design decision to partially restrict the view from the camera of the Yokai indeed.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I only mark people because I do not trust in my ability to communicate where the enemy is and their ability to understand me. I know better already than to do that crapwhen I have a group
That is a problem, yes. I usually start marking if none of my stack are alive, and the remaining team is not giving any indications that they have figured out the intel I gave.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Echo being 3 armor sort of makes him a meh pick for me, to be honest. The fact that you can't shoot the drone unless it's a) jumped and b) jumped in a room with a specific ceiling height (meaning you can't jump it in larger atrium areas) also negates much of its advantages with cloaking.

The MP5SD is great but not 'deprive yourself of a potential c4 or gadget operator' great.
I don't like how finicky the Yokai can be with respect to sticking to a particular ceiling part, but giving it an unlimited height ceiling would be too much. Likewise, shooting from the ground would be too much as well - Echo would just corner-spam through the drone hole or some props in the room in question.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 6, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

See, the thing is having to use the jump to fire off means you can't do the opposite of twitch drones; IE go out of drone holes and kill the charge being emplaced. Would force people to pay attention at least.
Well, that's how defenders work. You get a portable, reasonably invisible camera, and you also want it to be an active combat gadget? HARD WHERE IS T-34 FOR LORD TACHANKA {-}7

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

Still wouldn't make Tachanka good. :v:
Right, Hibana would be a hard counter then. :smithicide:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Me too, brother :smithicide:
I can't say I prefer Blitz over Montagne all that much, but, heck, same. Again though that's mainly due to extended Montagne being the least fuckiest shield form we have for now.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Koramei posted:

hm, weird inconsistency, looks like Hibana's doesn't count. I was trying to get the terrorist hunt challenge with her but it wasn't registering. Sledge's SMG11 works fine still though.
If I remember correct, Japanese shotgun didn't could for t-hunt objective, so this might be the same thing.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hard posted:

0.5% are diamond.

Para: Bragging rights means nothing.

Intuition over stats and facts. You sound like my girlfriend Para :psyduck:

e: I guess what I'm saying is, Para you're genuinely really good at this dumb game. Might alter your perception. That or EU are bad because we can still get hosed while playing against plats in US.
EU consistently is better than US at any competitive PC FPS. That was so 15 years ago, and continues to be now. We have 750 million population with overall Internet infrastructure significantly better than any given US state or Canadian province, hence at equal game popularity levels Europeans can practice far more than Americans do, and they don't have to fight the infrastructure in the process.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

slap me and kiss me posted:

Lost me right here.
That's just extra confirmation that he is a game developer.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Counterpoint: every time I've played on the EU servers we've absolutely crushed them.
That would be counterpoint if I were saying that there are no bad players in EU, which certainly is not something I'll ever say.

Ularg posted:

Yea well your face is dumb and games usually come out later in Europe.
This implies that Americans are even worse, by the way. And no, it has been quite a while since any major games have released in Europe later than what amounts to a glorified time zone difference correction.

Also look at my face

vs yours

>:[

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

Yeah, all of two weeks.
Steins;Gate visual novel does not count as a major game, I am sorry.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fair enough, Pokemon is one thing I certainly didn't consider, having never played any of the games, nor known any who has. Nor have I really seen a handheld console in these parts anywhere in the past decade. Looking at the sales figures for it, the game is selling 6 times worse in Europe than in the US, so I am not really surprised.

Either way, major games from modern franchises owned by non-Japanese publishers do tend come out on the same day more often than not, across the three major non-handheld platforms.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

IceOrb posted:

Hard, make player dialog audible for both sides so we can hear IQ scream at the top of her lungs about how she's got her scanner out.
That used to be a thing, so you could keep rushing as every operator would yell RELOADING.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:eng99: Glad that it is gone by the way, sometimes you'd kill or get killed because the characters would yell for no apparent reason (even in video game terms)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Heran Bago posted:

A lot of games these days have a button labeled "ranked" or "competitive" that allows you to play exclusively with really angry people.
Don't play competitive if you don't intend to compete.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

dogstile posted:

You can compete without being a raging fuckface though. I'm pretty high up in OW but you'll never hear me get angry because its a fun game and I know i'm not going pro anyway.
I can and do so, raging is counterproductive from any angle. Consider the flipside that people will often call an angry gently caress someone who tells them to shut up at a generally inappropriate moment.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Give information about your death first, then rage or whatever.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ularg posted:

The point I made wasn't that "I just got this game and I'm gonna play ranked" because you forget you have to be rank 25 to start playing ranked, it's not like these people still need to learn what key you use to reinforce a wall or that you should reinforce walls. My point is that people get really mad at anyone who isn't already the best player. If I know what I'm doing, and I'm just not skilled enough so I have a low KD or whatever then why the gently caress play this game at all if I can't use Ranked to help get better at playing this game seriously instead of casual where you end up just getting stomped by people way outside your skillset and getting yelled at anyway.

And that's the other thing, people will bitch at me for making GBS threads up ranked, and others will bitch at me for making GBS threads up casual. There's no loving winning and they just expect me to play private matches or play Thunt for the rest of my life until I learn how to be a pro player through osmosis or something.
You should grow some skin, and just mute ragers. Well, in voice chat at least, Hard does not think it is important to allow you to exclude specific players from chat.

No competitive game has a community where you are not implicitly expected to know your poo poo* before heading out into ranked. In ideal world you learn in casual, and refine in ranked, but casual usually is a steaming pile of afterthought poo poo in general, and even worse than usual in this game.

*Your poo poo as in slightly more than any of your teammates.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I solved my sound problem by installing Equalizer APO and finding settings that made my sound better and louder.

Then I went too loud and blew some of my headset, I get crackles on real bassy stuff now. But I can hear footsteps and other things much more clearly! Any recommendations for $50-75 headsets that won't blow out easily and also have a mic?

EDIT: My current set is the Microsft LifeChat LX-3000.
Headsets generally speaking are a very poor investment. You have to go into >$150 range for them to start being worth their money. With your budget, I would get an attachable microphone and, say, these or these. Alternatively you could buy just a desktop microphone, or something similar, for less, I just remember Modmic being recommended by American goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

afkmacro posted:

imo OW players are on average way more saltier and toxic than in R6.
I imagine that younger as well.

• Locked thread