Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BarDown posted:

That's up for debate these days...
I imagine that going down to childish extremes, Siege is significantly worse than Overwatch both in accessibility and appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Siege hats seem geared towards a certain age group
That's what I said looking at the unveiled elite Thermite skin.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I think I've heard a kid talk only once, and they were playing Jager/Buck.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Duggler posted:

So you just have a whole bunch of background game noise playing over your voice chat?
Yeah, unless he has shotgun/cardioid pattern microphone, which is unlikely.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I find hearing myself to be way more distracting than some background game noise tbf.
How do you even hear yourself in R6, even with microphone+speakers?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ularg posted:

I can't say off the top of my head what mic I have but it's not some lovely desktop or headset mic. I basically have to talk right into it. Constantly I join mumble or discord and am told "Hey I can't hear you can you turn your volume up?" because I leaned back in my chair.

Edit: Actually I do have the microphone name: http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/sm/sm48-vocal-microphone
Oh drat, that's one of the better low-end serious microphones. Yeah, with this you won't get much speaker noise, the pattern is similar to the shotgun one. You probably then also have a decent pair of 2.0 speakers positioned well, which would explain how you manage playing without headphones.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I'm surprised I haven't seen a plague of glazs myself considering this is a modern military shooter. I guess with the way gun play works in the game they dont need to be a sniper to have an inflated sense of skill and become operator as fuk.
I wonder who is the people who think they know what they're doing but don't character.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say with the last sentence, but Glaz is one of the least useful operators in the game. It's a dead weight on the team in any situation that isn't Plane with defenders going for spots other than the cargo hold. Even then, Glaz will often be just killed from the side by a peeking defender.

~Le Operator~ tryhard instalocks Jager usually. Attack has broader variety.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hard posted:

Speaking of headphones, I personally think it's worth investing a bit in them. If you don't roll your fat dxracer on the wire too often they should last a while.
I use a pair of HyperX's Cloud II (with custom R6 side panels mind you). I can hear your magnificent mouthbreathing in glorious simulated 7.1.
Please don't invest anything in ~gaming~ audio or furniture. Also please fix your game Hard, my friend's HyperX Cloud II is still not being recognized by the game.

Ularg posted:

Yea, the thing is, I can't really play with headphones anymore because of my chronic migraines. It takes about 15 minutes of headphone use before my entire head is throbbing back and forth and I can't focus my vision or think straight and start getting easily confused and angry. So it would always between the decision of "Do you want to sometimes hear the game/your voice, or do you want to deal with an agitated Ularg. But the answer I would come to is I just wouldn't get on voice chat anymore at that point.
:rip: Fair enough, video game is not worth a migraine.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Well, my voice comes out of the speakers and back into the microphone, and then it's relayed to me through their voice chat. Which I find disorienting.
Yeah that's my question, what exactly is the situation that your voice comes out of the speakers? :confused:

Cup Runneth Over posted:

~Le Operator~ usually picks Ash, in my experience. And Glaz can be kinda scary, his rifle does a LOT of damage. You have to be good at the game to clutch with him but he will gently caress you up.
Every operator can be scary, Tachanka's LMG does plenty of damage as well. Problem is that much like Tachanka, you are physically unable to position yourself well as Glaz in the majority of scenarios. Another problem is the inherent weakness of single-action weapons, where they will consistently lose in damage dealt to anything automatic due to personal aim and movement of all parties, so long as we talk about any indoors shooting. That's why it is uncommon to see Twitch or Recruit with 417, or Buck with CAMRS. Sure, the one shot power there is superior to anything short of a shotgun put to your ribs, but in a ~sustained engagement~ they will lose to automatics, especially considering that you can't just spray the head area for an instant kill.

Otherwise I think you have a good point about ~Le Operators~ picking 3 speed attackers, in line with current meta.

Edit: "Position yourself well" as in the optimal way.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 7, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Maybe I'm wrong but I always felt it was a trend that people who over estimate themselves gravitate to the "hard to use" class/character to prove themselves. But it ends up being nonsense like 3 snipers on 2fort
That's rarely the case, usually the play whatever is "the best" fad at the moment, to maximize their stats. Sure, some try to make point by playing "hard to use" classes, but they usually are over it fairly quickly, and in Siege it's either useless or okay.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

He said he wears earbuds so that voice chat doesn't come out of his speakers. If it did, then it would come out of his speakers and go back into his microphone, where I'd be able to hear it.

The rest of your post is pretty spot on.

lohli posted:

Player 1 says something over VOIP
Sound comes out of Player 2's speaker
Player 2's mic picks up audio from the speakers and transmits game audio and/or voip whenever Player 2 hits their PTT key.
I was so close but yet so far away from figuring this out.

:negative:

lohli posted:

I've noticed the further from release you look the less popular Glaz is, it took a while but I think people eventually realised that you can't just be the dead-weight sniper every game.
The maps help a great deal with this, I feel. There hardly are situations where you can make kills with a sniper without wishing to be literally anything else, so even if you're channeling your inner Chris Kyle two hours every morning, you end up picking something else to get to the actual shooting.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 7, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hard posted:

My gaming chair is awesome. Well adjusted, comfortable and sturdy. Also my headphones works just fine so it's not my problem. Fix your friend :colbert:
Wow rude :(

Seriously though, this microphone problem is the least decipherable problem I have encountered in a while, albeit I suspect that his OS might be hosed up a wee bit. Although, apparently there's plenty of Russians complaining about VoIP accessibility.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 7, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hard posted:

Is Siege the only game he has issues ? ( If that's the case sending me his DXdiag wouldn't hurt.)
Yes, this is the only game he has any whatsoever issues with microphone. The problem is that the game does not detect the microphone at all, rather than a volume issue of sorts. The headset itself works in the game, for listening, just not the microphone. The microphone did work until some patch before Red Crow, then it just died. The headset is connected through USB dongle thing. Swapping between USB ports, multiple 3.0 and 2.0 options, does not help. I'll PM you his dxdiag in a moment.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 7, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Speaking of loudness though, while my perception might be skewed by living in land where literally everyone yells into Cold War era radio equipment for in-game voice communications, I've never faced any audibility issues. I mean, my own asides, but they are not game specific. I have a slightly weird-rear end microphone, so regardless of the program I am using it in, there will be no sound recorded with Windows microphone volume level below 93. As soon as it is 93 I can be heard yelling over from the hallway.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Same, Thatcher feels like a very straightforward pick for a disorganised play. There's a Thermite or Hibana in your team? Piggyback them to the nearest wall, then throw grenade when they ask or look at you with gadget in their hands. Otherwise, just throw it at the walls or doors around the bad guys, but not in so Jager doesn't nullify the EMP. His AR is very good either, so it really feels like one of the few safety picks where you can't really gently caress things up.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Same, grabbed S1 pass shortly prior to Red Crow launch, planning to get S2 pass around Season 5.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

IceOrb posted:

Yeah come swim with the Whales of this siege community Hard.

We sing beautifully.
I'm having flashbacks from the extended edition of the first Hobbit movie, thanks.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

What the gently caress did I just click?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Looking at the recent developments in Polish politics, the defensive operator should be a battle pope with gadget that floods the all chat with psalms in Polish.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Captn Kurp posted:

I hate to be "that guy" but I'd love an "examine weapon" action. I'm also "that guy" who went back to CS:GO when they added weapon skins.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Heh-bah-nah or Heh-ban-ah?
Khi-bah-nah with i as in "interesting".

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

While I'm not fond of the gamble wall in front of the customisation systems in Valve games, I do think that they are cool, given the existence of player market where the skins can be traded. As for the skins themselves - in my opinion, if it helps to keep the game running, just add it in. The majority of players loves to customise their characters, so who cares about glove or boot skins so long that they are within reasonable boundaries with respect to personally positive gameplay impact via reduced visibility, even though a fair system should also consider against significantly increased visibility to level the playing field for all customisation options.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Inside Out Mom posted:

Welp. I know what I'm trying to do any time I get to play Sledgey Wedgie.
Go hog wild, especially if you play on a console:
http://i.imgur.com/6e2HEyK.gifv

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Even on PC you can do that, but it is not trivial to take down anyone aware of you, hence it becomes a problem solely around positioning yourself properly. Some of the better opportunities for a sledgehammer kill on PC are when the last defender is being simultaneously pressured from multiple directions, or when your rusher gets a temporary hold of the objective, and you sneak around a potential roamer return route.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I'm waiting for this on the shields:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hard posted:

Keeping the 360 feature for when you touch one of Bandit's battery where you start convulsing and emptying your mag, because gently caress trigger disciple imiright.
That'd be a fantastic feature, especially if you could get a penalty system free team kills by ramming an electrified wall with a charged grenade out.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I'll settle for basic charm UI, I still haven't equipped my new unicorn charm on all guns, because I can't find enough time to do so.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

British, French, and especially German, shotguns are fantastic to use. American and Russian not so much. Don't put laser on majority of things that aren't defender shotguns. Never ADS with shotguns, seldom ADS with secondaries, and ADS with non-shotgun primaries at all times you don't have someone taking literally a half of your screen. If you have no idea what to do, just approach and observe places where your teammates are dying. If you want to use holographic sights, play more aggressively so you're always close to enemies.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ularg posted:

Why wouldn't I want to ADS with a pistol or machine pistol? I wouldn't hit poo poo otherwise, much less a headshot.

Also, Buck or Frost? If I had to just unlock 1.
Maybe I should've said to sometimes ADS with secondaries. Thing is that unless you are Smoke, Sledge, Caveira, or a shield attacker, you'll seldom be in a position where you at a meaningful range, and reloading your primary weapon is not the optimal choice. Pulling their handgun when there's more than enough time to reload the primary weapon is a very frequent mistake. If I had to guess, absolute majority of my secondary kills (as I don't really pick Smoke or Sledge) happen from a distance of a few yards at most, when it's generally more efficient to just hip fire.

Buck by far is more ~meta~ than Frost, but your mileage may wary. If you play for fun, the buy what seems more fun to you. If you play for efficiency, there are literally no cases when Buck is useless, and when Frost is the optimal choice.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lohli posted:

The Russian shotgun is the only one that feels "bad" to me just because I've never had any real luck with it, it's always felt too much like a pea-shooter though I haven't used it since it got buffed(when all the other semi-auto shotguns got nerfed).

Though looking again at the notes from that update, it looks like it was the shittiest of them before they all got nerfed.

I can't say that any shotgun outright feels "bad" to me, but, especially since the latest balance changes, I strongly prefer anything to semi-automatic shotguns. Pump shotguns still feel satisfying, even though I don't go for shotguns in general, unless the objective calls for shredded walls somewhere. The only operator I'd pick with shotgun primary is Smoke, and almost never pick Smoke.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

diapermeat posted:

Same. I've killed a few people with 1 shot to the head while lining up my red dot on their forward. Works about once every sixth bullet or so.. the rest fly randomly.
With moderate amount of practice, you can get a still-standing headshot by right-clicking and then left-click shortly afterwards, using laser sight as a pointer. It does require both parties to be still, however, hence it is not a working long-term tactic.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BadLlama posted:

I need to get back into this game. I played it a ton for the first few months when it came out but a number of frustrating things about the game just stacked up until I just didn't want to play anymore, but it sounds like a lot of stuff has been fixed? Are there any plans to do anything more interesting with T-hunt in season 2? While I pretty much just played multiplayer I did enjoy a good T-hunt from time to time.
It's season 5 (season 1 of year 2), but no, there's not a word about terrorist hunt.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Speaking of chess rankings, as a former amateur chess player I must say that it indeed takes more accomplishment to acquire each consecutive sports rank in chess. Sure you may drink half a cup of krokodil and start channeling your inner Kasparov, but the likelihood of such event equals to that of 100 win streak in Siege.

The problem in the last paragraph is the lack of individual player evaluations, which, if you think about it, is a blessing in disguise, since otherwise the player base would just abuse the relevant set of mechanics to jack off their points. Either though is a consequence of mentality where the competitive ranking of an individual is perceived as a reward or a strictly personal accomplishment, while it actually is just a quantitative measure describing the overall performance of a generic enemy team you face.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Thief posted:

hong kong op's special ability is to throw a fake iphone into the defender's safe space and then call it. if they go to answer it , it automatically marks their position for the rest of the round.
Why fake iPhone when you can have Samsung Galaxy Note 7? :smug:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:yikes:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CortezFantastic posted:

Does Matchmaking not work for anyone? I get queued with a team and then we take forever to find a game and eventually error out
Sorry it's the official evening of the broken multiplayer. Path of Exile instances are crashing, Battlefield 1 party invites are going AWOL.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

New operator should be able to pick up drones and install a chip that lets them take control of that drone. Two uses maybe, and the drone tells the user it's been hacked so they have to decide if they want to destroy it or not. Only one person can drive it at a time and the other person can only watch through the camera, not steal control until the user gets off it.

Hire me, Hard.
He'll hire you. As a programmer.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Speaking of which goddamn Hard hurry up and fix this matchmaking issue. I got my friend to play this game with me and while i was training him up in T-Hunt we kept getting disconnected from each other :arghfist::sigh:
T-Hunt is peer-to-peer, it's your own fault if it was just the two of you playing.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hard posted:

and before you ask, no I'm not there but I'm tempted to bomb it.
Looks like Hard took it too literally, the stream is already 3 minutes late. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ah, so there is just no YouTube stream. Fantastic, I've just been sitting there on the stream page on YouTube. Good job, as usual!

• Locked thread