Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
My brother bought me this game on PC, and it's completely unplayable multiplayer. It won't let me log into the Rainbow Six Servers at all, even though I'm logged into Uplay just fine. As soon as I load up the game, it hangs on server connect, and I get Error - [3-0x0001000B].

I checked Reddit for this issue, and there have been 3-4 threads per month for the last year regarding this error code without any clear solution. It randomly goes away for some people, others fix it by fooling around with their router, and others had to refund the game entirely.

What's the deal with this issue? I feel like it being around for over a year without being addressed is a really bad sign in terms of the game's quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Well this is the first game I've refunded on Steam. Nothing I did fixed that error code. Tried tons of different router settings, reinstalled, etc... Unbelievable that this has been out for a year, and there's still 3-4 threads a month on Reddit with this issue. Probably dodged a bullet if that's indicative of the game's quality control.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

I'm not sure why it's funny that I couldn't even get the product to work after 2 hours of tinkering.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

ItheWelp87 posted:

I think what's funny is you saying you "dodged a bullet" when it has been one of the most popular and lasting games released in recent memory.
However, that's not to say you have a legitimate gripe about not being able to play the game despite 2 hours of effort. Such is the reason refunds have become standard for the industry.

That comment was not in regard to the gameplay at all, which I'm sure is great. It was regarding the backend of the game and the support provided, given that the issue I was having has been brought up by many people over the course of the entire last year, and doesn't seem to have an obvious solution.

It's not like I was threatening a refund because the game wasn't living up to standards. I had to go forward with the process, because I was literally unable to connect to servers after port forwarding, setting the router to DMZ, turning UPNP off and on, successfully getting the NAT to read "open" in the R6 settings without any change in the issue, etc... The last time I've had to tinker with router settings to get a game to work was at a minimum over 5 years ago, so I'm not sure what backwards rear end process they used to make this game's multiplayer infrastructure.

Edit: It was a gift so the refund process is still waiting on my brother. If anyone wants to tell me some easy solution to fix this issue I'd love to hear it, because I actually do want to play the game.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 3, 2017

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Well looks like we can't get the refund because I spent too much time in the game, even though the entirety of the time was trying to get the game to work. Since that's the case I'm going to get this drat thing to work if it's the last thing I do.

Current Situation:
Uplay connects just fine, but once the game boots up it fails to connect to the R6 servers, and I get Error[3-0x0001000B]. I appear "offline" in the little square box in the top left. When I open the settings menu it does not show me as connected to any server, and it says my NAT type is "strict". When I close the game, uplay hangs and the fails on on "synchronizing saves with the cloud", forcing me to press "skip".

Things I've Tried that have no Effect
1. Port Forward Game Port UDP 6015 -- No Difference from above
2. Resetting the Windows hosts file -- No Difference from above
3. Turning Windows Firewall off -- No difference from above
4. Manually changing the default server using gamesetting.ini -- No difference from above no matter which server I choose
5. Changing my DNS to 8.8.8.8, which is a public DNS server provided by Google.

Thing's I've Tried That Lead to a Different Result

1. Run my Router in DMZ mode -- NAT type in settings menu changes to "Open". Game still fails to connect to the servers, and I still get Error[3-0x0001000B].

2. Use a VPN/Proxy Service - When initially attempting to connect to the servers I will get a different error message: Error [0x0-0FFFFFFE]. Despite this error message the game will appear to successfully connect. In the upper left box I will see my Profile Name and + symbols to add players to my team for matchmaking. In the settings menu box it will list a server and my ping (EUS Ping 52 since I used a Chicago proxy). However, once I attempt to click on multiplayer and use matchmaking services it will then go back to the "connecting to R6 servers" screen, and eventually give me Error [0x0-0FFFFFFE] again. Interestingly, When I close the game using the proxy, Uplay is able to sync the save files successfully. As mentioned above, without the VPN, UPlay will usually fail here, and I'll have to click "skip".

3. Port Forward Uplay Ports TCP: 80, 443, 14000, 1400 -- Uplay fails to connect when I do this. If I attempt to even boot Uplay separately without booting Rainbow Six, it will fail to connect, and I will have to use offline mode.

That's where I stand now. Before anyone asks I cannot try plugging directly into the modem, because I have a combination cable modem/router. How should I interpret how the game acts when using a VPN-- where the game appears to connect fine in the menu screen, but then when actually trying to find a match I get a different error. Why is the VPN able to connect at all, when my regular set up cannot? Given the information I've presented above, does anyone have any idea on what could be wrong or what I should try next?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 4, 2017

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

causticBeet posted:

Try a different DNS maybe?

I did try that. Forgot to include that in there. Changed the DNS to the exact one the guy below, the public DNS by google.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Dvsilverwing posted:

Go to your documents folder, into "My Games" and then "Rainbow Six - Siege", go into the random character string folder and then into a .ini file with your settings. Go all the way to the bottom, and try manually changing your default data center to some of the different ones that are available.

Edit: Also, my R6 ALWAYS hangs up on the synchronizing pop-up thing when I exit the game. I always have the skip it as well.

Number 4 on things I've tried that didn't help :(. Thanks for the suggestion though!

I know I could probably fight harder for a refund if I explain that all the time spent in the game was trying to get it to work, but my brother really is excited to play the game together, so I figure I should give this the absolute best shot that I can at getting it to work. I'm just totally befuddled, because I primarily play multiplayer games, and haven't had an network issue since maybe 10 years ago when I had to deal with college network stuff.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Zaodai posted:

What ISP do you use? If it is residential Comcast or one of the smaller Comcast resellers, they may have ports blocked directly on your account for "security". You'll usually need to hit at least a tier 2 to even find somebody who knows how to check, though if you have specific ports to have unblocked you can usually get a tier 1 to submit a request to the engineering team to get it unblocked if you're super persistent. I'd suggest making a bit of a stink about it to them and see where it leads. Customers I provide IT for who have cheaped out and used residential connections for their businesses have run into similar issues for other applications that were only resolved after fighting with the ISP for a bit to get them to acknowledge that the ports are being blocked and it's not on our end. If they start giving you static, the burden of proof is on them. Connect directly to your modem again and have them prove to you that it is working fine to the modem.

I'd love to be able to provide you more specific advice, but you're working with the devil magic that is Uplay. If it really comes down to it, try getting a separate router and having your ISP put your modem in bridge mode. You'll get more control (and easier troubleshooting) out of having even a consumer grade router than you will using the garbage all-in-ones most ISPs provide.

BadLlama posted:

Have you tried calling your ISP and seeing if they have some poo poo on their end loving you over? Also, you could order a standard modem from amazon to try and connect directly to your modem to test and if it doesn't work just return that poo poo.

What would I ask my ISP exactly? Are there certain ports I should be asking about? This is my fifth year living here, and during that time I've probably played 20-30 unique multiplayer PC games without any issue. Is there a specific thing about Rainbow Six we are looking at in this case that I should be asking my ISP about?

I think buying a modem will be my very last resort, unless I can get one for very cheap just to test things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I tethered my phone's 4G/LTE, and the game is able to connect to the servers this way. I guess that tells me the issue lies somewhere with our router/modem. We still have no idea what that issue is though.

• Locked thread