Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
I saw Coolio when I was in sixth grade and he sucked poo poo. He kept stopping mid-song to talk about practicing safe sex and he was constantly out of breath. Overall a very disappointing experience. I saw The Mars Volta not long after Deloused came out and they were awful as well. Tell me about the worst gigs you've seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How in the poo poo could Mars Volta be bad?

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Awful mixing mostly, it was just a wall of noise. I've seen them again since then and they were a bit better but Cedric's voice has always been godawful live

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wizard Master posted:

Awful mixing mostly, it was just a wall of noise. I've seen them again since then and they were a bit better but Cedric's voice has always been godawful live

Man that's crazy it's like some of the best poo poo vocally.

GuitarJunkie
Sep 8, 2004

"Boy, have we got a vacation for you."
Blood Brothers opening for Coheed and Cambria. Constant piercing feedback, drummer seemed to have difficulty keeping the beat, they frantically flailed their skinny limbs but it was worse than a high school talent show.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
I saw Kraftwerk in concert in like 2008/09. They played a lot of their best songs, but the show basically amounted to some 60 year old Germans dressed in neon black light day-glo Tron spandex suits on stage where all they did was hit play and the song played itself.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

the polyphonic spree. i unironically wish death on all those stupid assholes

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
dylan

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Red Hot Chilli Peppers never failed to disappoint at festivals.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Kings of Leon

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i saw crazytown open for 311 and smash mouth and i was utterly shocked that it wasn't a very good concert

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Bad Brains in the nineties. They stopped mid set and said it was because the crowd wasn't cool enough and ready for them. They were right.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Forgot who it was but their poo poo stopped working mid way through the set and five minutes later they kicked everyone out

Ecstatic Elastic
Oct 30, 2008

She's just spun

Screama posted:

Kings of Leon

Aww, when was this? I saw them during their Aha Shake Heartbreak tour in a little rear end venue and it was a lot of fun.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I went to see Elvis Costello, but I didn't realize it was his "gently caress all my old poo poo, I want to croon lovely lounge music while I play a piano without a band tour"

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
Six Feet Under played a show at a tiny venue in Peoria Ill. and they had their bass mixed so loud it blew an entire wall of speakers on the right side of the stage. The resulting sound wave pushed open the emergency doors next to me and I couldn't hear out of my right ear very well for about a month.

I also saw ICP and 2 live crue at the same place at a later date but despite both acts being really bad it somehow turned into a really fun show to be at.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

My ma saw chuck barry back in the day and he played for 45 minutes and left

SpaghetioSexNoises
Aug 16, 2015
One time I was dragged to see Interpol by my pretentious ex-gf and that lead singer can't sing for poo poo. The crowd didn't seem to give a gently caress even though they were the headliners and the guitarist threw on some crazy sfx loop at the end of the show that hosed up my ears. gently caress you interpol

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Kompressor. The only equipment he had was a CD player, a microphone, and a distortion box for his microphone. The distortion box was broken so he spent like 30 minutes fiddling with that before giving up. Then during his performance he started getting hot so he took the mask off and just sat down sweating, singing along to the CD while two fat goth girls were dancing around him. It was also daylight saving time so the bar was closing early so he had to skip around to songs on the CD and skipped about half of them because he wasted so much time messing around with his distortion pedal. It was almost art how bad his set was.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Runner up: Eyehategod opening up for the Deftones/Pantera/White Zombie show. Singer said they weren't going to stop playing feedback until the crowd got into it, which they never did so they just blasted feedback for like 5 minutes straight. Then the singer kept going on about how he loved huffing paint.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
mc chris at first Unitarian sometime in the late '00s -- he kept stopping to talk about how he would prepare for a zombie apocalypse/fight a zombie horde, and he kicked at least two people out for dancing too vigorously

runner-up: claim the throne, not because the band was bad (they were awesome actually), but because they headlined a bar on a Tuesday and didn't go on until midnight, by which point the crowd had dwindled to single digits

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Kompressor. The only equipment he had was a CD player, a microphone, and a distortion box for his microphone. The distortion box was broken so he spent like 30 minutes fiddling with that before giving up. Then during his performance he started getting hot so he took the mask off and just sat down sweating, singing along to the CD while two fat goth girls were dancing around him. It was also daylight saving time so the bar was closing early so he had to skip around to songs on the CD and skipped about half of them because he wasted so much time messing around with his distortion pedal. It was almost art how bad his set was.

RIP forums poster M R CRACKER

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
The Go! Team in Brighton at Concorde2, was such an awful gig. I don't really know how to describe it, but it sounded like.... You know if you try and vocally explain iambic parameter and you sorta go 'de durr de durr, de durr de durr', every single song sounded like that. Like the bassist was rocking back and forth with every single beat, for every song, it just sounded like every song was a nursery rhyme? Like you know when dickheads clap along to stuff, and instantly whatever it was suddenly just sounds like lovely oompah music? It was like they'd somehow done that to themselves. Only gig I've ever left, and I've been to two squarepusher gigs that were just him screaming at his broken equipment.

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008
I saw Eminem and Jay-Z in Detroit and boy was it poo poo. idgy but no one would play a full song, like it was all half songs it was weird.

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008

oh man (not that you were mentioning them) but Deftones was another one. Like the lead singer was swallowing the mic the whole time they were poo poo

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i bought afroman tickets freshman year of college but i smoked so much weed beforehand i didn't want to go anymore so i didn't

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008

Man that's crazy it's like some of the best poo poo vocally.

Mars Volta opened for system of a down waaay back like early 2000's, I'd never heard of them before that show but yeah vocals were impressive, I never got into them though.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Singer said they weren't going to stop playing feedback until the crowd got into it, which they never did so they just blasted feedback for like 5 minutes straight.

I can't believe that didn't work.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i went to see major lazer a few years ago before all of their radio success. the openers were Lunice and some other guy i can't remember

so we show up to the venue in kansas city right as it opens and there's a bunch of 20-something hipsters trickling in. lunice is loving rolling his rear end off dude. like he's super loving hype, fist bumpin and blaring the sick nasty tunes, calling out poo poo to the audience - and nobody gives a poo poo. it's just a bunch of art school dorks standing around looking bored while this dude is blowing the fuckin speakers out

by the time major lazer starts they all dissappeared and the crowd was replaced with a conspicuous amount of literal children in rave garb with helicopter parents who dont want to be there in the back of the venue and middle aged people rolling their rear end off and dancing alone repeatedly bumping into everyone around them. but hey at least they were hype

was a pretty good show on diplo's part but holy poo poo the crowd was terrible

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

Uncle Wemus posted:

My ma saw chuck barry back in the day and he played for 45 minutes and left

my dad saw hendrix. he collapsed on stage and died two weeks later

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I saw Sonic Youth in like '99 and they were super into beat poetry at the time and didn't play any of their older stuff with giant walls of discordant feedback like usual. It was really disappointing, but I've seen them like ten or eleven times, so it wasn't the end of the world.

The absolute worst show I ever saw was Joe Walsh in a fairly small theater in about 1996, he looked incredibly bored and played his stuff with all the intensity of a wet fart. It was partially my own fault though, 'cause, like, what did I expect?

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
The worst show I went to was Kanye West at Bonnaroo 2014. After ~15 minutes of music he stopped and started ranting about the press for around 30 minutes. I then left and watched Mastodon which was ok.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I recently saw a Michael Jackson tribute band and I was pretty hyped. The sound mixing was all hosed up so you could barely hear the vocals and the bass... loving sucked poo poo

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
thats why i never go to big festivals the sound is usually set up to accommodate on particular band so if a band of another genre plays the mix is all hosed. and because festivals tend to have abunch of poo poo going on the sound techs dont have alot of time to do a proper sound check. thats why bigger bands tend to only have one or no other act because they sound check early and get poo poo figured out and the other band has to deal with their specific parameters

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Wall Balls posted:

my dad saw hendrix. he collapsed on stage and died two weeks later

rip dad

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Metallica on the back of a truck in a Tower Records parking lot sometime in the 90's it just sounded like a huge mess

I've seen them a few times and sometimes they are great and sometimes terrible, well specifically some nights Cedric just cannot sing in tune and sounds awful

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I go to lovely concerts when I'm travelling alone for work. One time, I think fall 2010, I was bored so I decided to go for a walk from my hotel in Shreveport. I heard music so I followed it to see what was going on. Marcy Playground was having a little concert under a bridge. You could hear the music from anywhere but if you wanted to buy a drink you had to pay a $5 cover to get into this little fenced-in area outside of a bar. There were about 20 people hanging out and everybody looked pretty bored. It was a little sad.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
juicy j showed up 2 hours late. his DJ played his tracks mostly through the first verse and hook, juicy rapped over his own vocals, DJ queued up an explosion sound, and then he would ask the audience for pills and leave.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

Ecstatic Elastic posted:

Aww, when was this? I saw them during their Aha Shake Heartbreak tour in a little rear end venue and it was a lot of fun.

Same, one of the better shows I've seen imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Oh and after the show that just ended on the walk some guy tried to sell me heroin for more money than I had

• Locked thread