Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Perromancer posted:

Counterpoint: Blood Brothers are awful but I once saw them open for AFI in Los Angeles and it was awesome. Last time I saw AFI circa 2003, they were still not mainstream and really killed it

I missed them come through town in the mid to late 90s, but finally got to see AFI support Offspring in Wembley Arena in January 2001. Art of Drowning had only come out a few months earlier, so of the 10,000 crowd who were mainly there because they'd heard some Offspring tracks on the radio when Pretty Fly broke it big were never gonna know who they were. Spelt disaster really.

They come out one by one except Davey, and start playing the intro to Fall Children, and barely a few seconds in the guitar head blows. So drum and bass loop the intro while stage hands quickly swap it out for a spare one and the guitars come crackling back in. Then without a moments hesitation, Davey runs from the back in some crazy spandex suit thing, grabs a mic and jumps down to the front row to do the gang chorus and they loving owned that place like it was their crowd. Amazing.

To make it thread relevant, hopefully long forgotten British 'punk' band "A" opened and sucked poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

I like going to concerts, and when I was a kid and didn't live in civilization yet, I was desperate and would take whatever I could get. This lead to a lot of great concerts (I think the best was a science fiction themed grind band called Bloodhag that only played biographical songs about science fiction authors, and who refused to play their closer Douglas Adams until they saw a satisfactory number of library cards held up in the crowd. This was all in some dude's garage, I think he used to post on here actually), and a lot of intensely bad ones.

I think the worst one was this band called Synesthesia. Bunch of washed up old ROCK AND ROLL type rock and roll guys. They were already pretty bad, but this was in a pretty much economically dead area without any consistent all-ages venues, so this show ended up being held in the middle of a failing roller rink after normal rollerblading hours. Nothing particularly offensive happened, it was just sad to watch dudes in their forties ROCKING OUT with Metallica covers for a crowd of ten to fifteen teenagers in a room that smelled like public shoes and nacho cheese. I ended up with a free shirt that I was later able to trade to an irony-minded pot dealer I befriended, so that part was good.

My least favorite as an adult was probably when GG Allin's old band came through a venue I was bouncing at. Singer was shooting dope in the filthy bathroom, the fans were awful, the music was worse, and there was a certain tradition with that band I was unfamiliar with. Apparently the drummer does a thing where he puts his drum sticks into his decrepit rear end in a top hat, and then at least in this case, just leaves them on the stage. You have never seen a more spirited debate about the contents of everyone's official job description. In the end we made the sound guy do it, because it was decided that what happens on stage is his domain, plus he was considered to be less important than the bartenders and found to be smaller than the security team.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

theperminator posted:

That and the crack addicted opening act they had for Crowded House at the Sydney Opera house https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC0OdEjMGeU

Managed to catch Kirin J Callinan by chance, opening up for Mogwai earlier this year. No idea who he was but I loved how much he divided the crowd and I genuinely loved what he did onstage. Had to look him after, and would probably go see him again.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
Xiu Xiu opening for Swans was the single worst performance I've ever seen. People flocked out of the concert hall over it. I down the street and ate oysters until I was sure it was over. Just ear-splitting feedback and treble on the guitar, and Jamie's drunk singing like Uncle Muscles, "hamburgers and hotdogs too, I want to have a barbecue." No bass. No beats. loving ridiculous. Just feedback and whining.

That said, that was the third time I've seen Xiu Xiu, and both of the other times they were completely different and pretty good.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Went to a Beach Boys concert when I was 10 or something. Even at that age I could recognize what a sad spectacle it all was. People generally ignored the band the entire show and were more wrapped up in hitting a beach-ball around. At one point Mike Love was trying to get the beach-ball removed so people would start watching the show.

Got dragged to an Oasis concert in high-school. They came out, played for 20 minutes, then someone tossed a water bottle. They threw a hissy fit, and left.

Was hanging around downtown during new years, and happened to pass by a concert stage where Lou Bega was playing. He had gained about 50 pounds, and couldn't sing for more than ten minutes without having to stop and sit down to catch his breath.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Was hanging around downtown during new years, and happened to pass by a concert stage where Lou Bega was playing. He had gained about 50 pounds, and couldn't sing for more than ten minutes without having to stop and sit down to catch his breath.

"one, two, threefour .... ah dammit, gimme a minute .... five wheeeeze"

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine
bone thugs n harmony on a terrible date. started like 2 hours late, i was so bored i wasted my dates wallet on tequila and even drunk i couldnt get into it, it sounded just awful. at the end of a very short set they just let any girl who wanted to get up on stage up and poorly attempt to shake their asses. they looked so disinterested in everything about the whole show and just walked off without a goodbye, leaving this trainwreck of like 50-something girls on stage for security to deal with

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

JnnyThndrs posted:

I hope this is a troll, but in the event it isn't, you might wanna look up the shared history of both Pere Ubu and Dead Boys before you say something this dumb again.

Shared history of sucking and boring motherfuckers to death. A fat guy in a chair singing pere ubu songs: moderately ok.
Same fat guy singing the songs of the shittiest punk band: too bad.

Hatebag fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 7, 2016

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

EL BROMANCE posted:

I missed them come through town in the mid to late 90s, but finally got to see AFI support Offspring in Wembley Arena in January 2001. Art of Drowning had only come out a few months earlier, so of the 10,000 crowd who were mainly there because they'd heard some Offspring tracks on the radio when Pretty Fly broke it big were never gonna know who they were. Spelt disaster really.

They come out one by one except Davey, and start playing the intro to Fall Children, and barely a few seconds in the guitar head blows. So drum and bass loop the intro while stage hands quickly swap it out for a spare one and the guitars come crackling back in. Then without a moments hesitation, Davey runs from the back in some crazy spandex suit thing, grabs a mic and jumps down to the front row to do the gang chorus and they loving owned that place like it was their crowd. Amazing.

To make it thread relevant, hopefully long forgotten British 'punk' band "A" opened and sucked poo poo.

Old AFI was p. dope.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Real Mean Queen posted:

smelled like public shoes and nacho cheese.

Olfactory memory triggered.

I have to agree with all the posters naming Dylan, but it's an easy target as the show itself is a souvenir at this point. No one in the last 10-15 years capable of reading a review or looking up a video clip can honestly say they expected greatness. If you're in the audience, you're the modern equivalent of an old lady in Vegas circa '71 hoping Elvis throws you a scarf.

Coincidentally, it was Dylan opening act Foo Fighters doing an acoustic set that I found so tedious and dull I wandered outside until they were through.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
my first phish show was Coventry (when they went on haitus) and my main memory of that is pissing against this wall along with a thousand other guys but there was no trench or anything and there was a foot of mud so the pee just ran right back at you so everyone was just standing in pissy mud, pissing, and it was a few days of this so it was just mud and piss and more mud and more piss and there were some bright spots in the music but mostly it was just really not good and everyone was sad and covered in mud and piss and poo poo

on the bright side i bought a bubbler from a guy which i still use today

edit: i saw Dylan once and he was aggressively awful

Mozi fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 7, 2016

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Bret Michaels was supposed to do a show here two years ago with his solo band but it got rained out. He did a make up date last summer.

it was about 90F with 85% humidity and no wind. There were two opening bands - a local Journey tribute and a local hair metal tribute. Journey band was told by the tour manager that they couldn't play "Don't Stop Believing" because Bret was gonna. Okay - tribute band forbidden to play their subjects arguably most well-known song. The hair tribute was, of course, told no Poison tunes.

When Bret took the stage, he started with his, "I missed playing for you last year so we're in NO hurry to get off stage and are gonna party ALLLL night" shtick. He played all Poison's hits, had his drummer do a solo, played approximately 20 seconds of the first part of "Don't Stop Believing", and played "Sweet Home Alabama" in its entirety.

The entire headlining set lasted one hour. So much for "partying all night" with Bandana Bert.

The other one I can think of offhand is the Black Crowes played our Labor Day Weekend festival about 10 years ago. I didn't recognize a single song and they just did these awful extended jams.

jlechem
Nov 2, 2011

Fun Shoe

This right loving here. It was an outdoor concert and the sound was so loud you could barely tell what song was playing. Plus his voice was so loving terrible it was a mumble mumble over everything. It sucked donkey balls.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
gorgoello bordello is poo poo

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

A $7 contemporary Christian music concert I don't really remember why I went too. It was mostly the people there that made it bad.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
If we don't count like established musicians then yeah my worst concert was a free christian punk rock concert.

christian punk is easily the most WTF thing I've ever heard of.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

i am kiss u now posted:

Kid Rock (absolutely amazing, he surprised the hell out of me)

Same. We got free tickets about seven years ago or so and I figured, what the hell, why not. He loving rocked my face off, it was really good. Probably the most effort I've ever seen anyone put into a show. So much energy and the whole backup band was really into it.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

If we don't count like established musicians then yeah my worst concert was a free christian punk rock concert.

Oh my god Christian youth group types are the most annoying loving people on earth. They all have way too much pent-up energy and have this really annoying laugh. All of them.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I saw The Lucksmiths about ten years back, they were ok but their support act's only equipment was an accordion and a loop pedal. I stayed at the bar for that one.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

if you've got limited talent and aren't all that motivated the christian circuit is the safest career move if you want to be a musician

ForceKin
Dec 22, 2009

The worst was probably the time some twink I knew in college dragged me and my roommate to Talleyrand, an outdoor festival in Jacksonville FL. There were no good bands whatsoever, he insisted on being there for The Polyphonic Spree's entire lovely set, and nobody I was with brought drugs. Complete waste of time, just awful.

Second worst was another outdoor show in Jacksonville (seriously, don't go to Jax for concerts, everyone I know has had bad experiences there) where the opening local cover band was just so energetic and got the crowd hyped, only for Tears for Fears to come on and play a boring half-assed show. We walked out after like 2 songs.

Honorable mention goes to a show that I didn't attend, but was forced to hear through my dorm walls when they played on campus, some lovely band called Ludo.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

I'm certainly not the first to say it but Modest Mouse was a letdown live. The band played just fine but the sound system at the venue was waaaaay too loud and lacked any real definition so all the instruments just blended together into a sonic wall of mediocrity.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I'm certainly not the first to say it but Modest Mouse was a letdown live. The band played just fine but the sound system at the venue was waaaaay too loud and lacked any real definition so all the instruments just blended together into a sonic wall of mediocrity.

I got really into MM again recently and people always say they're disappointing live, bummer.

garbage horse
Jul 31, 2015

lovin it
I'll share my Modest Mouse experiences too:

Saw them twice in Rochester, NY within a few years of each other. The first show was right after We Were Dead came out and they pretty much only played that album. The sound was awful and I was super disappointed. Like two years later I saw them there again and they played waaaay more old stuff. I think the sound was still kinda poo poo but they rocked out a bit more on songs like Doin' The Cockroach and Truckers Atlas so I was happier. I was a huge fan of them at the time, so I think I enjoyed the shows despite them really being kinda mediocre. I've passed on seeing them like two or three times since then though. Their new album is mostly awful. :(

sout
Apr 24, 2014

garbage horse posted:

I'll share my Modest Mouse experiences too:

Saw them twice in Rochester, NY within a few years of each other. The first show was right after We Were Dead came out and they pretty much only played that album. The sound was awful and I was super disappointed. Like two years later I saw them there again and they played waaaay more old stuff. I think the sound was still kinda poo poo but they rocked out a bit more on songs like Doin' The Cockroach and Truckers Atlas so I was happier. I was a huge fan of them at the time, so I think I enjoyed the shows despite them really being kinda mediocre. I've passed on seeing them like two or three times since then though. Their new album is mostly awful. :(

yeah it kind of is.
apparently they've only got one confirmed live performance of Beach Side Property, which dumb song though it may be, I think would be awesome to hear live.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW6zI9iy27Y&t=48s

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
In high school our student council raised a bunch of money to bring second place Canadian Idol contestant Gary Beals to play a concert. It was so loving lovely. His background video didnt work, the sound cut out a few times and he only sang a couple songs. I went to get out of class but honestly I would have rather sat in class.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Same and that was like 2005 I can't even imagine how bad he must be now

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

One of my biggest surprises in life was about 8 years ago when the girl I was seeing at the time told me Bob Dylan was still alive

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Willie Nelson opened for him when I saw him and was actually pretty loving good and seemed like he enjoyed playing in general so that was cool.

Dylan sat at a piano the entire time off to the side, never faced the audience or said anything and he did entirely unrecognizable versions of his songs in some weird Vegas show style? I'm not sure how to explain it. He was halfway through Memphis Blues like 20 mins into his set when I finally realized he was playing songs I knew but in a way that was horrible, I had barely caught some of the lyrics through his mumbling

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

All these oddball Dylan reports actually kinda make me want to see him. Maybe if it was free.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
His shows are still really hard to get tickets for. He came to Milwaukee maybe 5 years ago, and there were stinky young hippies out everywhere. They were all like 50 years younger than him. I think it's more of a status thing than actual enjoyment of his live show.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
lee scratch perry was pretty underwhelming imo, but what can you expect from an ancient dude like him

otoh mala played an amazing set afterwards which more than made up for it

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I saw Sleep open for Hawkwind in the mid 90s, and while I was really there for Sleep, figured I'd stay for Hawkwind since I'd liked that one good album they did. Well it was some smoking hot garbage that made me embarrassed for everyone involved. Just goofy pointless noodling all around.

Funny part was years later when I mentioned the show to a coworker who was there too but went for Hawkwind. He loved it! Different strokes I guess but it was hard to take him seriously after that.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Snowy posted:

I saw Sleep open for Hawkwind in the mid 90s, and while I was really there for Sleep, figured I'd stay for Hawkwind since I'd liked that one good album they did. Well it was some smoking hot garbage that made me embarrassed for everyone involved. Just goofy pointless noodling all around.

Funny part was years later when I mentioned the show to a coworker who was there too but went for Hawkwind. He loved it! Different strokes I guess but it was hard to take him seriously after that.

Was Sleep good at least?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sleep loving own live. Al and Mike da gods

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I saw Deftones at Northern Lights in upstate New York back in their Saturday Night Wrist tour. It was during a Fat Chino era so he didn't have as much stage presence, but more importantly the AC in the building was broken and it had to have been at least 120 degrees in there, no poo poo. To their credit, they sounded great and despite not running around as much, Chino did interact well with the crowd, and also Chi came out between songs with a super soaker to try and cool off the audience, but it was the only show that I've actually been miserable at. I legit thought I was going to pass out by the end, it was just so loving hot. Deftones did not do an encore, the only time I've ever seen them and they didn't, and I was thankful because I just wanted to get the hell into an air-conditioned car. Not the bands fault at all obviously but it was still a huge bummer.

Also I've seen Deftones 6 times and they were really loving good each time. Seen Coheed 4 times and they are also a really goddamn good band live, especially once they got Josh back in the band.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Went to Oslo to see Rush. They killed it, but the venue was loving weird. There was no way to stand during the show because the whole place was filled up with seats (so they expected us to sit down through an entire Rush set wtf) and people were eating popcorn and hotdogs and poo poo.

Southern Norwegians are nice, but boring.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
One time I saw Beck in Trenton NJ and there was a part where him and a bandmate were supposed to do dueling banjos. The problem was they were just faking playing it to a recording and they both missed their cues on who was supposed to go first so the banjo recording happened while they both stood there looking like idiots. they knew the gig was up so they just looked confused and then danced around with the banjos like idiots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

haljordan posted:

Was Sleep good at least?

Hell yes they were amazing, and it was in a church with a huge screen behind them showing the moon slowly turning. Just incredible poo poo. Followed up by laughable Hawkwind, it was crazy they were the headliners but there weren't a lot of Sleep fans yet.

• Locked thread