Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Saw AC/DC in the early 00's on their Stiff Upper Lip tour. AC/DC was awesome, but "Slash's Snakepit" opened for them. While this normally would have been awesome, Slash was sick (literally) and don't play. As a result, we just saw the Snakepit, who were meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
James Brown. 20 minutes of repeating the same loving bit over and over. For gently caress's sake, take it to the bridge already.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Tool are the laziest sacks of poo poo.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I once got to witness the tail end of a miserable cover band playing I am from Austria which is like the inofficial anthem of Austria and virtually everybody can sing along by heart and does so gladly. And then those morons came and apparently had forgotten the second stanza, just playing the first one again and again until they packed it up and left, lmao

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I've only been to They Might Be Giants concert, because i'm poor and when i get spending money music usually isn't on my mind, but I didn't pay attention and it was a kids show. Although it was a late addition and there was no 'adult' show in Dallas, I didn't really think there would actually be kids at a band's show that more or less peaked in 1990, but yeah there were tons of kids and instead of playing a good set list it was their educational stuff plus particle man and birdhouse in your soul, that was really diappointing. I got a cool shirt out of it though, and my uncle took me to El Fenix after.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
No concert I've been to was outright terrible, but I've been bored at a number of shows.

When we were in college, my best friend and I went to see Bob Dylan play at the University of Delaware in 2000. We went with her entire huge family (all Bob Dylan fans), and we were all bored to death and pissed off at him for playing only songs from his latest album which no one gave a poo poo about. The acoustics were really bad, too, so we could barely make out the music from the surrounding noise of 20,000 bored fans talking to each other. The only highlight for me was the novelty of seeing Bob Dylan with my own eyes.

Also with my best friend, I saw Rachel's + Matmos at the Black Cat in DC in the early 2000s, and it was so drat boring we left after 45 minutes of whispered arguing whether we should stay or leave.

The most disappointing concert I've been to is seeing Mark Lanegan at the Electric Factory in Philly in 2012. He's my favorite musician,, but I wasn't crazy about the album he was promoting and which made up the bulk of his set, the sound mix was a mess and we couldn't make out a word he was singing, and my mom had died a few months previous to this and I had lost the ability to feel good about anything anymore anyway. :v: I had known ahead of time that I probably wouldn't enjoy it, if only because I couldn't enjoy anything at the time, but I made myself go because I had never seen him play live before and I didn't want to miss the chance. On the upside, he did play some of my favorite songs in the encore and his voice was great.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Somebody gave me free tickets to see a 72 year old Joan Baez. Since I'm not a hippy lesbian baby boomer (the entire crowd) it was as boring as poo poo.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Who has a 30 minute set when headlining a big concert venue? Well NIN the one and only time I briefly saw them.

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
i saw down in wilmington nc and phil was pretty lovely. it was the last stop on the tour so i cant really blame him, and he wasn't drunk as gently caress or anything but he was still a little drunk i think. his voice just sounded really lovely. we bounced right after he sounded like poo poo for stone the crow, my favorite down song. thanks phil. at least the rest of the band played well

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Devo at the loving Denver Western/livestock show in it's horrible, horrible concrete and steel 200' high dome. I have never heard music so distorted by a space before. No exaggeration you'd have to hear a song for 20 or so seconds to recognize what they were playing. This was about 50 feet from the stage. I'd never seen them before and went by myself as I wanted to see them live so badly.

There was a dad and his teenage son on one side of me. The dad was a hardcore fan and his son had become one too. About 3 songs in the dad was so pissed and disappointed he pulled his son out of there and left. The son had such a sad mega dejected look in his face when he walked by.

On the other side of me was this nice quiet couple in their early 60s who had no idea who Devo was. They claimed to have seen them on a TV show but they were clearly out of their element and stayed the whole show, as did I.

Devo was killing it on stage but it just sounded like mud. It sucked balls being so close to something great that came out wet fart.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

me and some friends saw a feminist punk band who had songs about chopping of men's hands so we waved our hands in their faces

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Sten Freak posted:

Devo at the loving Denver Western/livestock show in it's horrible, horrible concrete and steel 200' high dome. I have never heard music so distorted by a space before. No exaggeration you'd have to hear a song for 20 or so seconds to recognize what they were playing. This was about 50 feet from the stage. I'd never seen them before and went by myself as I wanted to see them live so badly.

There was a dad and his teenage son on one side of me. The dad was a hardcore fan and his son had become one too. About 3 songs in the dad was so pissed and disappointed he pulled his son out of there and left. The son had such a sad mega dejected look in his face when he walked by.

On the other side of me was this nice quiet couple in their early 60s who had no idea who Devo was. They claimed to have seen them on a TV show but they were clearly out of their element and stayed the whole show, as did I.

Devo was killing it on stage but it just sounded like mud. It sucked balls being so close to something great that came out wet fart.

i saw them on their own tour outside of a festival and they were amazing. especially a band like devo, they have to have their own set up to get the mixes right. whichever band headlined that stage would probably explain the lovely mixing.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Oh, i also went to a think called lakewood stock in dallas the first year it was held and a neil diamond cover band was playing, the drummer was pretty good but seriously it was just really leathery looking middle aged ladies grooving to some badly overed neil diamond, but there was other stuff going on at least

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I once was at a Smashing Pumpkins concert (in the mid 90s when they were kind of a big deal) and Billy Corgan forgot the words to 'Bullet with Butterfly Wings'. Otherwise the concert wasn't bad though.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Smash it Smash hit posted:

i saw them on their own tour outside of a festival and they were amazing. especially a band like devo, they have to have their own set up to get the mixes right. whichever band headlined that stage would probably explain the lovely mixing.

I'm taking Smash with me to explain mixing for the next show I go to. I ended up going to Seether in a really, really intimate setting which was awesome and they played a ton of Deftones songs which was also awesome so maybe the mixing and setting is more crucial then I previously thought?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Captain Yossarian posted:

I'm taking Smash with me to explain mixing for the next show I go to. I ended up going to Seether in a really, really intimate setting which was awesome and they played a ton of Deftones songs which was also awesome so maybe the mixing and setting is more crucial then I previously thought?

oh its huge, every room is different. You have to take in account of the shape of the place, the size ,what the walls/floors/ceiling is made up, the sound proofing, where the speakers are, and then you have to figure out what the band is doing what frequencies they will be pushing- ect ect.

thats why bigger acts having their own sound person is crucial because they know what the band is going for. Usually in festivals they have to rely purely on the "house" guy who generally has no idea what the band is listening for/playing out of.

usually when we play out of town, i prefer not to use a sound person because they always want to do what they think is best. I just crank my amps and mic the drums/vocals because that leaves more control in my hands.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Aimee Mann during her solo phase where she refused to perform any 'Til Tuesday songs

Lilith Fair ruined many good female acts by compelling them to stand onstage with a guitar for 2 hours with no backing band

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I saw Drive-By Truckers a few years back and the show was really bad. They might have played OK but I had no idea because everything was so loud you literally couldn't tell what songs they were playing. It was past the threshold where your ears can comprehend what they're taking in.

I do not doubt this.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

tenspott posted:

Tool are the laziest sacks of poo poo.

I spent something around $45 as a teenager to see TOOL at the United Center and it had to have been the lousiest stage presence I've ever seen in a performance.
Maynard jumped around a little bit, but they relied on the huge television setup behind them playing wacky gel splashes and some music video content from their earlier days. Yawn.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i was kicked out of the local ampitheater and evicted for a year for trying to start a mosh pit w my friends at a papa roach show in 2001

Bill NYSE posted:

I spent something around $45 as a teenager to see TOOL at the United Center and it had to have been the lousiest stage presence I've ever seen in a performance.
Maynard jumped around a little bit, but they relied on the huge television setup behind them playing wacky gel splashes and some music video content from their earlier days. Yawn.

i saw tool there a couple years later and maynard did the whole show sitting on a stool facing away from the audience w/ no lights on him

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Smash it Smash hit posted:

They were the only act that on stage that night. The building is used to show actual livestock , cowboy poo poo. I'm not a pro by any stretch but I've been in performing bands and know you can get things wrong and right but this space may just be hosed. If it really could have been cured by the guy at the mixing board then he should have been fired on the spot. I'm not saying you are wrong just saying it seems hard to swallow that it could have been fixed. The songs were unrecognizable. I assume they were using the house PA for everything beyond the stage but I don't know if other bands could make it work with their music or not.

I guess there's a small chance that all the way back at the board it sounded OK but everyone walking out at the end seemed pretty bummed.

It's funny because we played a new years party at Union Station in Denver a few years ago and suffered the same fate - the sound was OK 15' or so or closer to the stacks but beyond that it was just noise but that was a bunch of amateurs with lovely equipment. But it was also a very high hard surfaced area not built for music.

Sten Freak fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 2, 2016

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I saw creed as part of some fest. Singer came out in a wife beater and did the whole one leg on the monitor thing. Pretty bad imo

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Sten Freak posted:

They were the only act that on stage that night. The building is used to show actual livestock , cowboy poo poo. I'm not a pro by any stretch but I've been in performing bands and know you can get things wrong and right but this space may just be hosed. If it really could have been cured by the guy at the mixing board then he should have been fired on the spot. I'm not saying you are wrong just saying it seems hard to swallow that it could have been fixed. The songs were unrecognizable. I assume they were using the house PA for everything beyond the stage but I don't know if other bands could make it with their music or not.

I guess there's a small chance that all the way back at the board it sounded OK but everyone walking out at the end seemed pretty bummed.

It's funny because we played a new years party at Union Station in Denver a few years ago and suffered the same fate - the sound was OK 15' or so or closer to the stacks but beyond that it was just noise but that was a bunch of amateurs with lovely equipment. But it was also a very high hard surfaced area not built for music.

yeah it definitely could be the room, and the gear not working well together - youre right that there is sometimes nothing you can do to polish the turd youre handed. The sound guy mixing it for his spot could also definitely be an issue but sounds like that place just wasnt built for large live music in mind.

When I saw them it was at an amphitheater which I think all big bands should play in because it is structured specifically to hit everyone in the place.

thats a bummer.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Grateful Dead two or three times in the late 1980s, Nitzer Ebb 1989, Genesis 1992, Public Enemy 1992, Dylan 1999... All complete wastes of time, money, and drugs.

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
Going to this in April. Will report back.

Edit: the one in going to is actually only gunna be Vanilla Ice, Salt-N-Pepa, Spinderella, Rob Base, Color Me Badd and Young MC

Only registered members can see post attachments!

i can still taste him fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 2, 2016

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

poverty goat posted:

i was kicked out of the local ampitheater and evicted for a year for trying to start a mosh pit w my friends at a papa roach show in 2001

i saw tool there a couple years later and maynard did the whole show sitting on a stool facing away from the audience w/ no lights on him

what a fitting band name

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I once went to a Motorhead concert and I was bored to death. The band had no energy, they played a bunch of indistinguishable songs until they reached Ace of Spades and that was it. But after them came Megadeth and Rammstein and that was pretty cool.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

i can still taste him posted:

Wasn't Color Me Badd supposed to be at this too? I don't give a gently caress. Sounds like a blast no matter what happens.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Oh man.

I went to the "Korn Family Values" tour at the pepsi arena in Albany when I was probably 14 years old, but Korn bailed out of their own show and were replaced with the stone temple pilots.
First up was this band Deadsy (frontman is Cher's son), and were just horrible - just truly awful noise nonsense, just moaning into the mic.
Next up was Static X, who weren't actually that bad.
Then was STAIND, easily one of the top 5 worst performances I've ever seen, I remember leaving to get a hot dog.
Then, the band I was most excited to see, Linkin Park came on and absolutely loving sucked. Just so whiny and screamy in the worst way, and they did a lot of stopping mid song and point the mic at the audience so it was just a lot of silence.

STP comes out and absolutely kills it, puts on an incredible show, and thats how I got into grunge and never listened to LP or Korn again.

Runner up is Tomahawk opening for Tool - they all came out dressed as babies? Or had some men in diapers on stage, very odd, very bad.

Most recent bad one was DJ Khalad, at the panorama festival in nyc over the summer. He showed up nearly an hour late, and just danced around while drake played in the background. He actually got booed the entire time, it was pathetic.
The dome tent he was playing in was also dangerously overcrowded, and the only exit was also the VIP entrance, and people started to panic and started leaving en masse and almost started a deadly stampede. I had just watched the RI nightclub fire video, so I too got the gently caress out of there.

I'm sure I'll think of some more, Ive been to a shitload of bad concerts.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i saw fear factory headline at a hardcore festival and they played all their weak clean singing songs and the crowd spent the whole time throwing rolls of toilet paper at them

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

Robokomodo posted:

Wasn't Color Me Badd supposed to be at this too? I don't give a gently caress. Sounds like a blast no matter what happens.

Oh ya, that's a poster from this year's tour. We get the dialed back version: Vanilla Ice, Salt-N-Pepa, Spinderella, Rob Base, Color Me Badd and Young MC

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

I bet these groups will all work hard for their cut of your $25. Desperation is a hell of a thing.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Bauhaus opening for NIN in ~2006. The lead singer literally spent half a song humping an amp/speaker. And that's on top of the terrible songs.

E: just remembered there was this couple in front of us dressed in steampunk who left after the Bauhaus set. They didn't stay for NIN :psyduck:

E2: they paid $90 each to see loving Bauhaus.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 2, 2016

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
First concert I ever saw was Rammstein, so every concert consists of me thinking that this band/rapper needs some flames!

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Wizard Master posted:

Awful mixing mostly, it was just a wall of noise. I've seen them again since then and they were a bit better but Cedric's voice has always been godawful live

I've never seen the Mars Volta or ATDI live but anyone I've known to see them says essentially the same.

Worst concert I've ever been to was Sevendust at the Webster theater; pretty sure they were lip syncing and that venue sucks so hard its not even funny. In the entrance lobby I saw a girl pass out and the staff attempted to have her sign a waiver while she was laying on the floor of the lobby before they would give her water. I hope that place burns down Station nightclub style.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I think someone said Macy's playground earlier, but I saw them open for everclear, fat Singer had on track pants and they were boring, but to be fair I never liked them anyway.

gobblefobbl
Dec 2, 2016

by merry exmarx
anything acoustic

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Edit: the one in going to is actually only gunna be Vanilla Ice, Salt-N-Pepa, Spinderella, Rob Base, Color Me Badd and Young MC

My friend recently went to this and it loving sucked hard. Lol ton loc had a seizure or some poo poo

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

Captain Yossarian posted:

My friend recently went to this and it loving sucked hard. Lol ton loc had a seizure or some poo poo

Funky cold angina?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
i have no bad experiences :)

i saw les claypool do a set consisting of seas of cheese tracks + a few singles.

their guitarist sucked as usual but the rest were really good :)

edit: i was only 12 or 13 but i think i still had decent taste in music

(compulsory "MY GENERATION SUCKS" meme)

• Locked thread