Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I saw Duff McKagan's Loaded opening for Down back in 2011 and they weren't bad but I was bored and wanted to see Down. Whitesnake in 2005 was meh too, but then Judas Priest played next and they kicked rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

gobblefobbl posted:

anything acoustic

i am being this so hard

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I've seen Coheed and Cambria more times than anyone should and usually they put on a goddamn incredible show but the concert I was most excited for, the Neverender:IKSSE tour, I saw them on their second or third to last stop and Claudio seemed absolutely wiped out.

Also at one of their shows the opening act was Russian Circles which is apparently really really really lovely instrumental electronic prog bullshit and it was like the longest, most terrible 40 minutes of pseudomusic ever.

Neither of those, however, compare to the time I had to chaperone a bunch of people at a Stacy Oricco/ Plus One concert. It was hell in every conceivable way.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

food court bailiff posted:

I've seen Coheed and Cambria more times than anyone should and usually they put on a goddamn incredible show but the concert I was most excited for, the Neverender:IKSSE tour, I saw them on their second or third to last stop and Claudio seemed absolutely wiped out.

Also at one of their shows the opening act was Russian Circles which is apparently really really really lovely instrumental electronic prog bullshit and it was like the longest, most terrible 40 minutes of pseudomusic ever.

Neither of those, however, compare to the time I had to chaperone a bunch of people at a Stacy Oricco/ Plus One concert. It was hell in every conceivable way.

russian circles is... good??:confused:???

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Motley Cru. I loving hate cheesemetal, but a friend showed up with a free ticket. He was so sure I'd just love them if I saw them live, and he sweetened the pot by inviting this girl that had a huge crush on me. She got me high as gently caress on the way there, and once they started playing I got so bored I fell asleep a few songs in and woke up for the encore. Neither my friend or the girl would speak to me on the ride home, and I was super pissed of for wasting a Saturday on that poo poo.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

unpleasantly turgid posted:

(compulsory "MY GENERATION SUCKS" meme)

CYBER IDIOTS WITH PIERCED SCROTUMS COPULATING WITH ANIMALS IN CARS PARKED OUTSIDE THE RAVE PARTY

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Frankenstyle posted:

Motley Cru. I loving hate cheesemetal, but a friend showed up with a free ticket. He was so sure I'd just love them if I saw them live, and he sweetened the pot by inviting this girl that had a huge crush on me. She got me high as gently caress on the way there, and once they started playing I got so bored I fell asleep a few songs in and woke up for the encore. Neither my friend or the girl would speak to me on the ride home, and I was super pissed of for wasting a Saturday on that poo poo.

i mean i dislike them too but i cant imagine not enjoying the spectacle of a hair metal band and fanss when high? especially since it was free and you got high for free? lighten up francis

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Smash it Smash hit posted:

drat straight.

I guess I'm blessed that after hundreds of gigs I can't think of anyone who was that bad that it left an impression. I tend to care more about some poo poo singer songwriter types who set up and play loudly at the bar while I'm having a conversation. They always suck. Open Mics should be outlawed and their acoustic guitars burned as a message.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Smash it Smash hit posted:

When they eventually remember what they were doing and break into an actual song, yeah

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I saw Pere Ubu and the fat gently caress singer sat in a chair in a big leather trenchcoat the whole show. Then they started playing dead boys songs and that was a fridge too far so i hosed off.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

EL BROMANCE posted:

drat straight.

I guess I'm blessed that after hundreds of gigs I can't think of anyone who was that bad that it left an impression. I tend to care more about some poo poo singer songwriter types who set up and play loudly at the bar while I'm having a conversation. They always suck. Open Mics should be outlawed and their acoustic guitars burned as a message.

i agree with this

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Modest Mouse wasn't that great live. The Black Keys were a huge let down, those dudes have 0 stage presence.

And loving Bob Dylan is terrible. I don't know why he still performs.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
money

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

I got yelled at by AJJ when I shoved a drunk guy who had been running into me and my friend over and over again. Kind of soured the whole experience for me.

A Wavves type band was on tour and a friend of my girlfriend's was opening for them. His first song, he used his guitar looping pedal, but it was clearly off beat from what he was playing over it. Drove me so crazy, I had to go out for a smoke. I would check in every couple of minutes and it became obvious he did not know how a looping pedal worked and that he had only been playing guitar for a few months.
For how pretentious he was before the show, I would have thought he had some decent talent.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
A couple years ago Todd Rundgren came to play at a local venue. It was 40 bucks but hey, Todd-is-God loving Rundgren! I'm pretty old, but when I got there I was the youngest pup in the house. Todd played nonstop attempts at techno, lasers shooting from his fingers with bass & drum players who looked like Daft Punk that you couldn't hear anyway.
I could endure it since I did some shrooms but these dudes in their 60's were bewildered and pissed. Welcome to your first rave, dad. He kept that up for 2 hours, not playing a note of any of his classic hits. He finally closed with a techno medley of his familiar work (barely). I've heard that he's much better now though.

Carol Channing rocked harder ffs.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Any band that opens for Gwar because they're not Gwar and that includes Gwar when they opened for Gwar as X-Cops.

More serious answer: The Lt. Dan band featuring Gary Sinise on bass.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

I saw Mindless Self Indulgence in maybe in 2002, it's was awful, they literally didn't know how to play their instruments. It was mostly just the lead singer jumping around like a loving rear end in a top hat screaming poorly over pre-recorded music while the other bandmates gave the illusion that they were creating sounds from their instruments.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

TwoStepBoog posted:

I got yelled at by AJJ when I shoved a drunk guy who had been running into me and my friend over and over again. Kind of soured the whole experience for me.

A Wavves type band was on tour and a friend of my girlfriend's was opening for them. His first song, he used his guitar looping pedal, but it was clearly off beat from what he was playing over it. Drove me so crazy, I had to go out for a smoke. I would check in every couple of minutes and it became obvious he did not know how a looping pedal worked and that he had only been playing guitar for a few months.
For how pretentious he was before the show, I would have thought he had some decent talent.

looping pedal dudes have to be amazing for me to even give them a chance. praying for bural is a band that does loop that people seem to love that is absolutely loving boring live

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
My cousin (15 at the time) and his friend were going to avenged sevenfold, but his friend had a relative die and the funeral was the same day, so I had to bring my cousin.

Some lovely screamo band opened in white makeup and skinny jeans, none of them looked like they weighed over 80 pounds wet. Then avenged sevenfold came on to the cheers of tons of teenage chubby goth girls. It was 90 minutes of bad metal, and the singer was wearing sunglasses inside. You only get that pass if you're Lemmy. At the end I learned their names are sinister gates, johhny christ and shadows.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

Skeleton Ape posted:

CYBER IDIOTS WITH PIERCED SCROTUMS COPULATING WITH ANIMALS IN CARS PARKED OUTSIDE THE RAVE PARTY

is that an anagram

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i saw crazytown open for 311 and smash mouth and i was utterly shocked that it wasn't a very good concert

Hot dog, we have a wiener!

Edit: I paid $400 for a floor seat to see Springsteen at The Garden and I snuck in a bunch of whiskey - which I then proceeded to imbibe copious amount at a loving hella pace - and passed out drunk sometime during the first few songs. Got woken up at the end of the show by the people sitting next to me. That sucked.

Kleen_TheRacistDog fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 2, 2016

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Buckethead was just awful. It's really repetitive guitar noodling while he throws dollar store toys into the crowd. Left after about 15 minutes.

I remember this rumor going around in middle school that lil kim drank so much semen before a show she had to cancel it to get her stomach pumped. Thats a lot of cum

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
^^^ it's good to see the Rod Stewart story repeated

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Dylan and Brian Wilson. Wilson's voice was gone and it was sad.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I saw Helmet back when I was in high school and even though they sounded fine, they were about as exciting to watch as the Chuck E. Cheese band. I kept joking after every song finished "Who's putting the next token in?"

Antifa Sarkeesian
Jun 4, 2009

yo les digo que no, que no soy la madre de nadie, pero que, eso si, los conozco a todos, a todos los jóvenes poetas del DF, a los que nacieron aquí y a los que llegaron de provincias, y a los que el oleaje trajo de otros lugares de Latinoamérica, y que los quiero a todos

bone app the teeth posted:

Buckethead was just awful. It's really repetitive guitar noodling while he throws dollar store toys into the crowd. Left after about 15 minutes.

I remember this rumor going around in middle school that lil kim drank so much semen before a show she had to cancel it to get her stomach pumped. Thats a lot of cum

lmao back in the day that rumor was said about everyone: david bowie, prince, elton john etc.

anyway it's funny so many people said the mars volta were bad live because they're the best live band i've ever seen and i'm not even a fan. i won some tickets to a festival in 2005 and was pretty excited to see some other acts, including cat power who was touring after the greatest came out and played a really awesome set with an awesome band of session musicians which i usually hate. TMV comes on and just totally blew me away. they played for an hour and a half, a solid half hour or more of which was jamming in between songs which usually sucks too but these jams were really, really good. cedric impressed me the most though which is why it's funny people are saying he sucks live. maybe he does usually but he was getting the gently caress down that day dancing like michael and he was 100% singing in key the entire time with strong vocals. i was loving floored.

edit lol yes and rod stewart too. i'd like to know who was the subject of the original story.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

i saw father john misty once and he didn't spend half the set being a pretentious oval office which was a shame

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

BgRdMchne posted:

Dylan and Brian Wilson. Wilson's voice was gone and it was sad.

I saw Brian Wilson this summer. He forgot a lot of lyrics, sat at his piano without playing while looking very lost, and occasionally said bizarre poo poo at crowd members. Mental illness and a history of heavy drug use will leave your brain in a pretty bad place.
He had Al Jardine and a really good backing band with him, though, so it was still good poo poo.

Optical Inch
Oct 26, 2002

Soiled Meat
PHISH - worst anything I've ever been to.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

Optical Inch posted:

PHISH - worst anything I've ever been to.

You were drug free, probably.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i was dragged along to a tool show and it was boring as dogshit, just like their albums

Optical Inch
Oct 26, 2002

Soiled Meat

Robokomodo posted:

You were drug free, probably.

Nope - was plenty lit enough to make the best of it by pointing and laughing at the dicks jumping on their little trampolines while "jamming," or whatever the hell you call what the gently caress they were doing.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

Optical Inch posted:

Nope - was plenty lit enough to make the best of it by pointing and laughing at the dicks jumping on their little trampolines while "jamming," or whatever the hell you call what the gently caress they were doing.

I have zero love for jam bands at all but the experience was cool after a bunch of mushrooms. The lights were cool.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
everyone knows a laser Floyd show is the primo destination for jamming on shrooms, come on man

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Weezer. Got free tickets when I worked at a radio station (front row). Left halfway through the show. Most boring poo poo I have ever seen. Could have played their album at home and looked at a photograph of them, because I'll be damned if any of them moved on stage at all.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Weezer. Got free tickets when I worked at a radio station (front row). Left halfway through the show. Most boring poo poo I have ever seen. Could have played their album at home and looked at a photograph of them, because I'll be damned if any of them moved on stage at all.

I saw them at Coachella like ten years ago and they were pretty terrible, they did move but they looked like animatronics

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I saw a free Vanilla Ice concert at the state fair a few years back. Got hit in the face with a bottle of water.

Shiny Toy Guns had their electronic equipment stop working in the middle of a show, they were huge pricks about having to plac acoustic.

Kottonmouth Kings, there was no real barricade, kept getting shoved forward on the stage, Daddy X kept almost stepping on my fingers and Richter had his balls in my boyfriends face the whole time.

Saw Coolio open for ICP, he kept taking all his cloths off and throwing them in the crowd, and his hair was wack as gently caress. Same show, I I got a bunch of Faygo in my sinuses and sneezed a huge loogie on the dude in front of me, spent the next half hour being squeezed up again him in my own mucus. He was none the wiser.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Earwicker posted:

I saw them at Coachella like ten years ago and they were pretty terrible, they did move but they looked like animatronics

Ooh weeee oooooo I move like a paraplegic

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Modest Mouse wasn't that great live. The Black Keys were a huge let down, those dudes have 0 stage presence.

Yeah was also going to say Modest Mouse didn't impress me at all when I saw them, just very low energy/effort, but it was also at the end of a big tour for them and they did do a jam session thing at the end that was night-and-day better than the set that had preceded it

still not nearly as good a show as I had hoped for though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imandyyo
Mar 19, 2012
Green Day came to the Boston Hatch Shell to put on a free concert in the early 90s. They played like one song and then quit or the concert got shut down. Rowdy crowd or some poo poo. I don't even remember.

• Locked thread