Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Currently, Australia's looking like possibly the English-speaking nation that hosed up 2016 the least (except maybe Canada, but they speak French too so they basically don't count). That doesn't mean we don't have time to fix that, though.

Our lineup these days is...

The Liberal Party

Led by Malcolm Turnbull (allegedly), The Liberal Party are the majority of the Coalition, the currently ruling group in Australian politics. They're not nearly as strong as they want you to think they are, but a charismatic face is keeping them in the top spot for now.

The National Party

Led by the Liberal Party, the Nationals are the other part of the Coalition. Largely pointless politically due to abandoning all policies catering to the rural communities that they originally stood for, they've still got enough blind following to keep them relevant for a while.

The Labor Party

Led by Bill Shorten, the centrist (or left-wing depending who you ask) Labor Party is pretty good on paper, but hasn't really found a good central point to focus their strategy around.

The Greens

Led by Richard Di Natale, the left-wing Greens are a lot more influential than their relative lack of power would suggest.

Pauline Hansen's One Nation

Oh gently caress, these guys are back, aren't they. These ultra-nationalist types are really only back in the game by racism and name recognition, and are falling apart incredibly quickly.

Nick Xenophon Team

The generally centrist Nick Xenophon Team excelled in the July election by focusing on a community often ignored on the federal stage: South Australians. He's pretty alright, I guess.

Liberal Democrat Party

Led byOnly really represented by David Leyjonhelm, the libertarian (when it benefits him) candidate got elected initially by name recognition he didn't really own, and is mostly known at this point for a legacy of stupidity, incompetence and hatred.

There's even more, but I've run out of metaphors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Somehow I feel an opportunity has been missed.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Actually the Liberal Party is a Super Nintendo and the Nationals are the Super FX chip :v:

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Anidav posted:

Actually the Liberal Party is a Super Nintendo and the Nationals are the Super FX chip :v:

Doesn't check out. Nintendos are cool and good

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

norp posted:

Doesn't check out. Nintendos are cool and good

They are also a ridiculously conservative company that sells its product based on the GOOD OLD DAYS

John Howard was the SNES for most Joe Australians. Face it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The SuperFX was good though.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Graic Gabtar posted:

Somehow I feel an opportunity has been missed.

Not a console or handheld, is it. Doesn't fit the theme.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
If political parties were Super Nintendo enhancement chips:

Liberals: Super FX
Labor: DSP1
Greens: SA1
George Christensen: S-DD1
One Nation: CX4
Democrats: Satellaview (long dead)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Anidav posted:

I appreciate this version of the metaphor, but I preferred the Megadrive/32x shot because it's a funnier mental image.

If I were being REALLY clever I would've tried to characterize the entirety of Australian parliament as part of the Megadrive Add-On Helltower. But then I wouldn't have been able to use a CD-i.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Graic Gabtar posted:

Well, let's assume yes and we missed out on a reasonable PM all things being equal.

However, wind the clock forward and yet here we are judging politicians based on appearance - even though the one in question gives the impression of being a total moronic dickhead.

I could only imagine the stink if someone linked to an article on Greens education policy and I posted it should be disregarded because Sarah Hanson-Young looks like a slut.

Point is, I don't really care what you say but when I feel like I'm somewhat on the track to being the voice of reason then gently caress.

you're insanely loving stupid, dude

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I'd say in this analogy the Nationals are a Game Genie, and Turnbull is the 32X.

While the Game Genie could do some cool things, most of the time it just made the game worse, and the 32X came about with lots of hope and promises of modernising the platform but ended up being the same old thing but more expensive.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Auspol december the goerge that ate christmas

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Worst OP in ages. Suits our government.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

BBJoey posted:

you're insanely loving stupid, dude
How so?

I will kinda accept insane.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Which party is the Commodore 64?

Can the crazed religious right be the cassette drive?

loving 16 bit elitists.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

DancingShade posted:

Alternatively, Doctor Karl's run for the senate as an independent.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Senor Tron posted:

Alternatively, Doctor Karl's run for the senate as an independent.

If only it was a monorail. Now that would get some votes!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Considering Sega do what Nintendon't I'd say the Greens are Sega and Labor and Liberal are two slightly different flavours of the NES :colbert:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Considering Sega do what Nintendon't I'd say the Greens are Sega and Labor and Liberal are two slightly different flavours of the NES :colbert:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The Age just stood down their editor in chief. Friday evening, sounds like something happened today, as you can't really bury this on a Friday night for no one to notice. Something went very wrong at the Staff Christmas Party perhaps?

edit- The Guardian has information- It's alleged he groped a young female reporter at a music awards show.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Dec 2, 2016

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Which one came out in Australia? I thought the middle one was the one released worldwide

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Serrath posted:

Which one came out in Australia? I thought the middle one was the one released worldwide

The PAL one.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Serrath posted:

Japanese - American - Europe / Aus

I'm pretty sure the difference (without checking) is PAL @60Hz / NTSC 60Hz / PAL @50Hz

starkebn fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Dec 2, 2016

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

DancingShade posted:

Can the crazed religious right be the cassette drive?

loving 16 bit elitists.
Amiga 500 or gently caress off. I'll vote for any party that brought me Carrier Command.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

starkebn posted:

I'm pretty sure the difference (without checking) is PAL @60Hz / NTSC 60Hz / PAL @50Hz

Japan still uses/d NTSC. Realistically the only difference between the SFC and the US SNES is the case shape.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
Australia still sucks, but doesn't, but then continues to suck even more.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Graic Gabtar posted:

Amiga 500 or gently caress off. I'll vote for any party that brought me Carrier Command.

gently caress yeah amiga. I had a 1000 that had been upgraded to have 1mb of ram.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Post for the post gods.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

BCR posted:

Post for the post gods.

poo poo for their throne.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Video game console themed OP is perfect, no one will be able to call it an echo chamber once these nerds fire up.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I have the Aussie PAL one. Only cart I have for it is fkn Yoshi's Island :negative:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/dec/02/australia-day-government-could-block-fremantle-from-moving-citizenship-ceremony
Fremantle council’s move to hold citizenship ceremonies on its “culturally inclusive alternative” celebration to Australia Day could be blocked by the federal government.

Ben Morton, the Liberal MP for Tangney, has called on the government to stop the council “politicising” the annual citizenship ceremony.

Alex Hawke, the assistant minister for immigration, said he would write to the council on Friday to advise it that its ability to preside over citizenship ceremonies would be revoked if it was found to breach the Australian Citizenship Ceremonies Code.

But one Fremantle councillor, Dave Hume, told Guardian Australia that such an intervention would be “ludicrous” and “over the top”. Hume, the only councillor to vote against the change, said the council had decided only to stop funding fireworks on Australia Day.

He said the federal government now appeared to be attempting to distract the public from “their great big cock-up of everything else”.

“I think it’s over the top and I think it’s actually sad that something that was designed to actually be an inclusive event has proven to be so divisive,” Hume said. “I think if everyone stood back and took a deep breath, they would realise that things weren’t actually going to collapse and the roof wasn’t going to cave in.”

The council had planned to hold celebrations on 28 January, the new “One Day” celebration intended by the city of Fremantle as a “culturally inclusive alternative” for Australia Day.

But Hawke said citizenship ceremonies should be “non-commercial, apolitical, bipartisan and secular” and he would also ask the council to restore the ceremony to 26 January.

“The government takes a very dim view of Fremantle council’s decision to cancel their Australia Day events on political grounds,” he said. “If Fremantle council is found to be in breach of the code, I have the power to revoke Fremantle council’s ability to preside over citizenship ceremonies, under the Australian Citizenship Act 2007.”

Morton had expressed concern that new Australian citizens would be denied the “honour and privilege” of having their citizenship ceremony held on Australia Day. “Freo council needs to pull its head in, and focus on picking up the rubbish, fixing potholes and providing value to ratepayers,” he said.

“This is political correctness gone mad, I encourage anyone who wants to wear their Aussie flag shorts, green and gold caps and their thongs to head down to Freo on Australia Day and celebrate our national day. Just because the council doesn’t want to, doesn’t mean we can’t.

“Having your citizenship conferred to you on Australia Day is very special. The actions of Freo council will deny that very special occasion to our new citizens – it’s a disgrace.”

The city of Fremantle issued a statement late on Friday saying it had not yet received any letter from the federal government but believed its plans were fully compliant with citizenship laws.

The council had previously contacted the immigration department and was told there was no requirement to hold citizenship ceremonies on 26 January. “Many councils throughout Australia do not hold citizenship ceremonies on 26 January, or any other official events on that day,” the statement said.

When he announced the celebration on 25 November, Brad Pettitt, the mayor of Fremantle , said One Day acknowledged the fact that Australia Day “wasn’t a day of celebration for everybody”.

He said the council had heard “loud and clear” opposition to Australia Day from local Aboriginal communities.

Erik Jensen, the editor of the Saturday Paper, called for the rest of the country to follow suit with a campaign to #ChangeTheDate.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog:

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I bet 90% of Australians have no idea why January 26 is a relevant date in the first place. But of course they'll squeal like stuck pigs against any change just because the word "Aboriginal" or "Indigenous" is involved.

Just move it to January 27: a symbolic step forward, and there's not a lot of other options because Australia's national day really should be at the height of summer.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

open24hours posted:

quote:

“This is political correctness gone mad, I encourage anyone who wants to wear their Aussie flag shorts, green and gold caps and their thongs to head down to Freo on Australia Day and celebrate our national day. Just because the council doesn’t want to, doesn’t mean we can’t.

lmao

The right-wing idiots losing their minds over this has been ~excellent~. This is almost like a call to arms kind of thing, though

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Does this mean I have to get rid of my Sega Mega Drive II since it is now tainted as being a Liberal Party device?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
My sister in law got fined for not voting in the council election. She lives alone and was sick on the day. Does she need a med cert or will they accept something else eg a stat dec or something?

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

freebooter posted:

I bet 90% of Australians have no idea why January 26 is a relevant date in the first place. But of course they'll squeal like stuck pigs against any change just because the word "Aboriginal" or "Indigenous" is involved.

Just move it to January 27: a symbolic step forward, and there's not a lot of other options because Australia's national day really should be at the height of summer.

I've always been a fan of moving it to 1 January. I know Federation is also pretty problematic, but it's a bit less so than Invasion.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-02/remote-work-for-the-dole-scheme-failling-indigenous-communities/8089004
The Federal Government's remote work-for-the-dole scheme is devastating Indigenous communities, with financial penalties causing insurmountable debt and social division, a report has found.

The Australian National University researchers described Indigenous Affairs Minister Nigel Scullion's Community Development Programme (CDP) as a "policy disaster".

ANU researcher and co-author Dr Kirrily Jordan said financial penalties were being applied unfairly and an example of this could be found in the Ngaanyatjarra Lands in Western Australia.

"The rental arrears across the whole lands, across 12 communities, have gone up from $50,000 to $350,000, in the short space of time since CDP's been introduced," she said.

ANU researcher Dr Inge Kral said she had spent 30 years working in remote communities and the latest scheme had left people struggling to feed themselves.

"People with no money in families, there's no money for food, there's certainly no money for clothes — people are starving, people are begging," she said.

According to the ANU report, the Centrelink-based system is impractical and devised by Canberra bureaucrats who are out-of-touch with remote community life.

Ms Kral also said people in remote areas were not being properly assessed for the disability pension and could be on the phone to Centrelink for "days", with little regard for language barriers.

"We are not kidding. This is not made up. People sit there for days," she said.

"Someone told me a story the other day about a man who really should be on a disability pension.

"They're now without money, they're on an eight-week no-payment penalty, they haven't eaten for three days, they've got no money coming in and they can't effectively engage with Centrelink by themselves."

The scheme applies to about 34,000 people, mostly Indigenous, across Australia and was introduced by Mr Scullion in July last year.

CDP increased the number of work hours required for welfare payments to 25 per week, for at least 46 weeks a year.

The current remote work-for-the-dole scheme is one of several revisions and replacements and can be contrasted with the Community Development Employment Projects (CDEP) scheme, which was scrapped in 2009.

CDEP allowed for the pooling of welfare funds, managed by communities for work on local projects and directed to payments equivalent to the minimum wage.

Senator Scullion has rejected the ANU report's findings and said his office and department did not have any input.

"It is disappointing that public debate is being dominated by urban academics like Dr Jordan whose professional experience is limited to being an academic in east coast universities," he said in a statement.

Senator Scullion said the participation rate had increased under CDP and waiver provisions were in place to ensure penalties do not cause financial hardship.

"More than 90 per cent of eight-week non-payment penalties are waived," he said.

The Northern Land Council's chief executive Joe Morrison also contributed to the ANU report.

"There is no real engagement, serious engagement, with local Aboriginal organisations in the bush when it comes to these things," he said.

"This is all designed out of Canberra and it's designed by bureaucrats, who unfortunately have little to do with Aboriginal people."

Spending your career working on and learning about things actually makes you less qualified to talk about them.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

open24hours posted:

Spending your career working on and learning about things actually makes you less qualified to talk about them.

holy poo poo it's quite the ironicat coming from a ~senator~

• Locked thread