Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Umm I'm going to need some more time before I post this, but hooooooly poo poo I've got some ~emerging information~ regarding the Melbourne One Nation thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nautilus42
Jan 14, 2008
Unrelated sea creature

Recoome posted:

Umm I'm going to need some more time before I post this, but hooooooly poo poo I've got some ~emerging information~ regarding the Melbourne One Nation thing

Can you post this before tomorrow? There's a lot of interested groups rallying together because of this.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Recoome posted:

You can't have more time. post now.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Nautilus42 posted:

Can you post this before tomorrow? There's a lot of interested groups rallying together because of this.
This is the tl;dr from what I have right now, sorry it's not a lot.

Basically, the situation as presented is a sham (and this somehow hasn't been reported in the media). The Independent Jewish Council of Australia in a completely fictional organisation, and has not ever existed in any shape or form beyond potentially some dude's fever dreams. This is completely evident when you check out their About Us page, which lists the supposed exective team. The problem is, "Rabbi Moshe Gold" isn't a person, the .jpg for his name just links to a generic rabbi url and a reverse image search reveals that it is actually Barry Freundel. Hilariously, the front page has "news" correctly attributed to Freudel and uses his picture. It's safe to assume that no-one on this page exists, and a whois search of the domain reveals that the [domain was only registered late November, and the domain is set up through an anonymous host.

The problem here is that in news reports such as this one from Sky News, the Independent Jewish Council of Australia is legitimised as an actual conservative body of Jews, where the site and story doesn't even stand up to 5 minutes of scrutiny. Their Facebook page has only a handful of likes, and has a phrase which I can only surmise is a bastard form of Yiddish, although a person who could speak/write Yiddish would know that although the pronunciation is pseudo German, it is written in the Hebrew. I reckon that the person who wrote this only has a cursory knowledge of Judaism (even I know more about it through my girlfriend, and I'm not even that accultured).

I'm going to be forwarding what I have to Mediawatch or something, because frankly this is bullshit that this has gotten so much airtime with such little scrutiny.

e: The rest of the stuff basically just reinforces the point that this is some bizarro performance art piece by a crazy right wing dude I guess? I'm not sure

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Starshark posted:

My sister in law got fined for not voting in the council election. She lives alone and was sick on the day. Does she need a med cert or will they accept something else eg a stat dec or something?

I got a fine waived by just saying "I was sick that day" with no proof, she should be right. If they do want a medical cert she'll have a chance to provide it later.

Ed: Should note this was for a NSW council election.

ephphatha fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 3, 2016

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Amazing

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I was reading about the One Nation thing on Slackbastard and apparently we have a new flag now? http://tripleflagflags.bigcartel.com/product/triple-flag

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic

open24hours posted:

Spending your career working on and learning about things actually makes you less qualified to talk about them.

I'm not an out of touch latte-sipping elite, you're an out of touch latte-sipping elite!

Stating the opposite of reality and having people accept this as fact has to be the worst political strategy. Gotta keep feeding into the idea that Aboriginal people are all lazy welfare kings/queens who just happen to like living in poverty since it gives them an excuse to get drunk all day every day.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

What's truly amazing is how conservative commentators have used this as a centerpiece of their argument regarding ~free speech~ and ~protesting~.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Ten Becquerels posted:

I'm not an out of touch latte-sipping elite, you're an out of touch latte-sipping elite!

Stating the opposite of reality and having people accept this as fact has to be the worst political strategy. Gotta keep feeding into the idea that Aboriginal people are all lazy welfare kings/queens who just happen to like living in poverty since it gives them an excuse to get drunk all day every day.

Politicians and the media have been doing it for decades, it's a winning strategy.

Case in point: First Contact. For all the show was worth and the talk afterwards it may as well have been called the David Oldfield Show.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Recoome posted:

What's truly amazing is how conservative commentators have used this as a centerpiece of their argument regarding ~free speech~ and ~protesting~.

tbh, conservative commentators latching onto fake news stories to justify their world view isn't all that amazing.
What would be amazing is if any of them acknowledged that it was fake after the story has been debunked.

e. unless that was the joke

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Sorry it's not some amazing mindblowing piece but it's pretty laffo

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Recoome posted:

The problem is, "Rabbi Moshe Gold" isn't a person, the .jpg for his name just links to a generic rabbi url and a reverse image search reveals that it is actually Barry Freundel.

All Jews look the same, so it's an easy mistake to make :v:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

open24hours posted:

I was reading about the One Nation thing on Slackbastard and apparently we have a new flag now? http://tripleflagflags.bigcartel.com/product/triple-flag

That's a parody Facebook page that revs up mobs like UPF by showing that they are more patriot because their flags are better. They were supposed to be doing a flag burning party in Melton, not sure if it went ahead because all those dumb arsed humourless racists took it really personally

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Tokamak posted:

All Jews look the same, so it's an easy mistake to make :v:

What makes it even more :laffo: is that particular Rabbi was involved in the high-profile voyeurism scandal. From the fictitious IJCA page

RUBBISH LMAO posted:

Chief Rabbi Freundel issues urgent statement on tzniut

Chief Rabbi of the Glen Eira region, Rabbi Barry Freundel, has made a statement condemning the modern degradation of values. 'Promiscuity is clearly a product of an increasingly smutty world in which skirts short enough to show privates, or even naked dipping in water has become acceptable! Such abdications of tzniut (modesty) have serious consequences, particularly for the men whom they force to sin.'

Like this is a serious loving oversight here on the part of any "journalist" who's visited this page.

e: Like read this, it's like a legit Markov chain bot. The journalist "Exxy Saint Laurent" is referring to a brand, etc.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 3, 2016

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

You Am I posted:

That's a parody Facebook page that revs up mobs like UPF by showing that they are more patriot because their flags are better. They were supposed to be doing a flag burning party in Melton, not sure if it went ahead because all those dumb arsed humourless racists took it really personally

They're certainly better artists than the real patriots. https://www.facebook.com/millionflagpatriots/photos/a.703263093146729.1073741828.699420480197657/776484642491240/?type=3&theater

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ten Becquerels posted:

In this case I don't think it's primarily a latte-sipper jab, it's an Abbott-esque ~authentic aborigine~ jab.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

open24hours posted:

Spending your career working on and learning about things actually makes you less qualified to talk about them.

Having theoretical knowledge of a subject is just a tad different to practical knowledge. It's a blatantly disingenuous and dismissive point to make when faced with criticism though.

QUACKTASTIC posted:

tbh, conservative commentators latching onto fake news stories to justify their world view isn't all that amazing.
What would be amazing is if any of them acknowledged that it was fake after the story has been debunked.

e. unless that was the joke

Politicians/people of all beliefs/ideologies are always keen to trumpet something that supports their argument whether the source is real or not, it's not a uniquely conservative thing to do.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Recoome posted:

Cultural war astroturfing, the more things change the more they stay the same. The reason it works is, as we've found, that post-facts are things no one gives a poo poo about. Giving a poo poo about them then marks you as being On The Other Side, and in this way racists and authoritarians hope to muddle the argument their way, cf. the infamous Protocols, which reads today like a neolibertarian laundry list. Who can deliver the resounding blow, is Mediawatch the right vehicle? Do we have nothing better than Snopes these days?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

ewe2 posted:

Cultural war astroturfing, the more things change the more they stay the same. The reason it works is, as we've found, that post-facts are things no one gives a poo poo about. Giving a poo poo about them then marks you as being On The Other Side, and in this way racists and authoritarians hope to muddle the argument their way, cf. the infamous Protocols, which reads today like a neolibertarian laundry list. Who can deliver the resounding blow, is Mediawatch the right vehicle? Do we have nothing better than Snopes these days?

I guess real life me isn't as impactful to disseminate what I've found, it's really just poo poo that no-one really cares. Like for fucks sake like 2 second google would put this to bed

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Yeah you'd think general education would make someone at least double check something for anti-Semitism but apparently not. There's a thread about this sort of thing, of which this is a good demonstration.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Their :airquote:Education Director:airquote: :airquote:Chaim Levy:airquote:

quote:

The wife of a Safed rabbi charged with rape and sexual harassment says she knew about his sexual relations with two other women, a recording played Thursday by Channel 2 television apparently shows.

The wife of Rabbi Ezra Sheinberg is heard telling Safed Chief Rabbi Shmuel Eliyahu that she knew her husband had had sex with the women, but that the sex was part of their therapy.

The wife, whose name was not given, refers to the acts as “relaxation massage” — an apparent euphemism for sex.

Sheinberg, 46, was charged last month in the Nazareth District Court on 13 counts of rape, indecent assault, sexual harassment, fraud and obstruction of justice.

His wife said her husband had only told her about two women, whereas 13 in total have come forward to accuse him. The women said that they had come to the rabbi for consultations, advice and blessings.

After Eliyahu asks the rebbetzin if she knows what the “relaxation massage” is, she tells him: “He told me that it was part of the blessing, and I accepted that too.”

The court ruled last week that Sheinberg will remain in custody until the end of legal proceedings against him.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/wife-of-accused-rabbi-says-she-knew-about-his-relations-with-2-women/

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Recoome posted:

This is the tl;dr from what I have right now, sorry it's not a lot.

Basically, the situation as presented is a sham (and this somehow hasn't been reported in the media). The Independent Jewish Council of Australia in a completely fictional organisation, and has not ever existed in any shape or form beyond potentially some dude's fever dreams. This is completely evident when you check out their About Us page, which lists the supposed exective team. The problem is, "Rabbi Moshe Gold" isn't a person, the .jpg for his name just links to a generic rabbi url and a reverse image search reveals that it is actually Barry Freundel. Hilariously, the front page has "news" correctly attributed to Freudel and uses his picture. It's safe to assume that no-one on this page exists, and a whois search of the domain reveals that the [domain was only registered late November, and the domain is set up through an anonymous host.

The problem here is that in news reports such as this one from Sky News, the Independent Jewish Council of Australia is legitimised as an actual conservative body of Jews, where the site and story doesn't even stand up to 5 minutes of scrutiny. Their Facebook page has only a handful of likes, and has a phrase which I can only surmise is a bastard form of Yiddish, although a person who could speak/write Yiddish would know that although the pronunciation is pseudo German, it is written in the Hebrew. I reckon that the person who wrote this only has a cursory knowledge of Judaism (even I know more about it through my girlfriend, and I'm not even that accultured).

I'm going to be forwarding what I have to Mediawatch or something, because frankly this is bullshit that this has gotten so much airtime with such little scrutiny.

e: The rest of the stuff basically just reinforces the point that this is some bizarro performance art piece by a crazy right wing dude I guess? I'm not sure

The most fun you can have is reverse image searching everyone on the about us page.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Ephphatha posted:

I got a fine waived by just saying "I was sick that day" with no proof, she should be right. If they do want a medical cert she'll have a chance to provide it later.

Ed: Should note this was for a NSW council election.

It is for a NSW election so thanks! Anyway, worse they can say is 'no'.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Uhh regarding the fake jewish organisation thingy....

Did nobody notice when you go to the location they give for their office on google maps it's the office of MIchael Danby MP?

lol

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

hooman posted:

Uhh regarding the fake jewish organisation thingy....

Did nobody notice when you go to the location they give for their office on google maps it's the office of MIchael Danby MP?

lol

Holy gently caress what is going on there?

Hmm...

https://twitter.com/MichaelDanbyMP/status/804880648770945024

I think something's up guys.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Dec 3, 2016

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

This is fascinating.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ewe2 posted:

I think something's up guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPEvbMqpXYw

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Jesus Gleeson looks so much younger. It's been ages.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Holy cow, skitHOUSE was bad

related videos: Blokeman Meets Metrosexual Man

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 3, 2016

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

The Peccadillo posted:

Holy cow, skitHOUSE was bad

It was like 99% gay, dick or drinking jokes.

And 1% cricket.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
So recoombe do you want to send mediawatch the tip?

This seems super bizarre, especially when you read their news section and it's disavowing the right wing guy who was lieing about not being able to get security. The whole thing is really weird.

hooman fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 3, 2016

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

It's just miserably loving dull

Like, compare an old hosed up kids in the hall bit, with the same premise of 'gay is funny'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuLVv56YGXQ

it rules. Australia sucks at sketch so bad

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

The Peccadillo posted:

It's just miserably loving dull

Like, compare an old hosed up kids in the hall bit, with the same premise of 'gay is funny'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuLVv56YGXQ

it rules. Australia sucks at sketch so bad

When it comes to TV, though, what do we make that is legitimately good? I mean critically acclaimed and well-known. Bonus points if it doesn't go after its ideas and/or politically allegories in an incredibly hamfisted way.

Admittedly, part of it must be because it's so easy to get access to really good US and UK shows and Australia probably can't compete, but it never seems like we want to compete. And, when we do, it always looks like the same half a dozen actors in the same half a dozen shows.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

When it comes to TV, though, what do we make that is legitimately good? I mean critically acclaimed and well-known. Bonus points if it doesn't go after its ideas and/or politically allegories in an incredibly hamfisted way.

Admittedly, part of it must be because it's so easy to get access to really good US and UK shows and Australia probably can't compete, but it never seems like we want to compete. And, when we do, it always looks like the same half a dozen actors in the same half a dozen shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIqqiK4ncfs

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
As a filthy immigrant I enjoy All Aussie Adventures?

If anything that man throws himself bodily into his comedy, christ.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I'll admit this is not a topic I know much about but it's one I've always wondered about.

My extent of my knowledge really comes from a subject during my Masters which involved discussing Australian narratives in stories. To this day, I'm still trying to figure out what an Australian story is. See, the lecturer insisted that Australia had a problem: a lot of our stories tend to be about migrating from another culture or growing up in the country, stories about isolation. But when the lecturer gave us extracts to read, to demonstrate the wider breadth of Australian storytelling, they were from books that were about migrants coming from other countries and learning the Australian language and struggling with the slang and remembering the horrible boat trip but, by God, weren't they glad to be here. They weren't even biographical, they were fictionalized.

When I pointed this out, that these stories were just migrant stories and that were the same stories that my lecturer was critiquing (where were Indigenous stories?), I got one of the harshest marks of my Masters. I still passed but it was the only mark I ever considered appealing.

So, I have a tendency to assume that Australian media exists in a cultural malaise because we don't have much of an idea of what constitutes an Australian story. Or, how to make our Australian-ness into an interesting show that people would want to watch. And then they make something like Sea Patrol or Wizards of Aus or whatever Chris Lilley is working on these days.

It's something I pondered extensively at the start of the year as I started some writing and considered setting it in Australia because I'm not aware of any Australian stories in the genre, but then I realised I couldn't elucidate what an Australian context would actually bring to it.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

meteor9 posted:

As a filthy immigrant I enjoy All Aussie Adventures?

If anything that man throws himself bodily into his comedy, christ.

Glenn Robbins is a national treasure

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Milky Moor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9hZ7kjgFh4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVs20X1XF2E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
As much as I liked All Aussie Adventures, it was a rip off of the Wallaby Jack Late Show skits :colbert:

• Locked thread