Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AgentF
May 11, 2009

The Peccadillo posted:

it rules. Australia sucks at sketch so bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDn_1Xa2a_o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

hooman posted:

So recoombe do you want to send mediawatch the tip?

This seems super bizarre, especially when you read their news section and it's disavowing the right wing guy who was lieing about not being able to get security. The whole thing is really weird.

Yeah, you won't see much till Monday I guess

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Micallef Program was excellent

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

This is a story out of the US, but I'd be interested in whether a similar thing happened here.

Female circumcision in the US

quote:

In 1947, when I was just three years old a doctor removed my clitoris. Female genital mutilation is mostly associated with African cultures, and non-Christian religions, but my FGM happened in white, midwest America. It took place in a church clinic that used a scalpel on girls who masturbated.

No sorry guys you see it's the dirty brown people who are evil! We white people are so pure and civilised.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
"Mister Speaker" is my favourite part of Australian politics.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Recoome posted:

This is a story out of the US, but I'd be interested in whether a similar thing happened here.

Female circumcision in the US

No sorry guys you see it's the dirty brown people who are evil! We white people are so pure and civilised.

Given that male circumcision was made hugely popular there for similar reasons, and our male circumcision rates are far lower, I'd guess this wouldn't have happened here.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-04/financial-abortion-men-opt-out-parenthood/8049576

The transparency of financial abortion would also empower women, as they'd be fully aware of the responsibility they'd be taking on.

ABC trying to win back some Breitbart Reddit (?) readers.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

That grates on me. I'm in the camp of thinking that if you're equipped with a penis, you know that sometimes it shoots semen out of itself when handled the right way, and if a lady's present that can sometimes mean that a baby may be on the way. It's not 'punishing' guys to say, "Hey, you're cognizant of how this process works, you're cognizant that contraceptive options aren't 100% effective, and so there is one _guaranteed_ method for not having an unwanted pregnancy that you are entirely capable of committing to, if you feel that strongly about not becoming a father."

That's not punishment, to expect that men know this. I think you'd have to dig really deep to come up with an example of a father who was unaware of any of those steps. Guys literally have the deciding vote in making any pregnancy take place, wanted or unwanted. If it's a punishment to be responsible for the consequences of your actions, there's an overwhelmingly effective method for making yourself completely immune to ever having to deal with that consequence. I just don't see a defensible way to say "Well, I was absolutely dead-set against having kids, I told my partner/s that, and then I continued putting my penis into the place where there was a non-zero probability of ending up with this consequence I was absolutely dead-set against." That simply _isn't_ a punishment, it's a reflection that biology doesn't actually give a poo poo about your stated opinion no matter whether you sign it into some legally binding declaration or not. There is an option out there that you're deliberately refusing to choose, for whatever reason. That's on you. None of us are under any illusions why you're not making that choice, but equally, none of us are under the illusion that contraceptives are a solid 100% guarantee. We're adults, here. If you don't want kids, time to commit to that option, even if you don't really want to.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Vasectomy - Technology that no longer exists.

Yes it isn't 100% effective but even 'abstinence' has resulted in non insertion pregnancy events. Only 100% option? Kill yourself

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Well if students have to take out loans to pay for their education then babies should have to take out loans to pay for their upbringing.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Paging anime dave, where you at the rally in Brisbane today?

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I honestly don't think a biological parent should have to pay for their children if they don't want them. They should be able to disown a child and lose all the rights and responsibilities of being that child's parent.

If you think about it the argument Vindicator used above for making a man pay for a child he didn't want could be used as arguments against a woman from having an abortion. And no it's not at all the same burden, I'm referring purely to the argument. If a woman gets pregnant, well she knew that putting a penis in her vagina could result in this, so she can't complain about being pregnant and not being able to get an abortion because she knew what she was getting into. Don't want to get pregnant? Don't have sex. Simple. Of course this is bullshit because aborting a fetus is not killing a life so there's no reason not to if the woman also sees it that way. But neither is there any reason why a guy can't just walk away. Kids grow up into the life they get, and we as a society have decided they largely get to cop whatever life throws at them. If we genuinely want to secure our children's future then the government should provide for their welfare, not try to ensure the child gets the money they were apportioned by who their parents are. They won't of course because that would require compassion and child support queens are already a meme. Although if you could raise the birth rate with that maybe you could convince the anti-immigrants to back it.

Also this is not something that comes from my fears of having kids, or misogyny, or MRA, or whatever else; it's an opinion I formed from my mother talking about how my biological father never paid child support but she preferred to just never deal with him than to get what was owed to us by judge fiat. I'm pretty glad my mum didn't need that money to raise me after the divorce. Other kids and single mothers should have that same luxury. Chasing down a guy who does not want to be a father to the child to get money he does not want to pay is kinda bullshit for all parties.

EDIT: Should add I only think a financial abortion is cool if the government actually compensates the mother. Just leaving a single parent+kid with no payment is pretty lovely. And if no financial abortion is allowed, the government should pay the single mother, and then charge the father for the money. Expecting 2 people who split up to have to co-ordinate payments is kinda stupid.

Futuresight fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 4, 2016

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

That's covering a lot of ground, and the abortion = killing argument is way off topic, but the child support issue is solvable. It should be pursued in the same way tax evasion is pursued. Women shouldn't have to fight to get it because it should be paid by the government, who should then chase up the father to recover the child support plus any additional costs.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Yeah it's a very loaded and divisive topic so I was trying to cover a lot of arguments I might get.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Milky Moor posted:

When it comes to TV, though, what do we make that is legitimately good? I mean critically acclaimed and well-known. Bonus points if it doesn't go after its ideas and/or politically allegories in an incredibly hamfisted way.
Has Frontline been said yet?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Has Frontline been said yet?

Frontline is timeless art and anyone who hasn't seen it really should. It completely deconstructs the very idea of an impartial and professional media and does so completely politically agnostically.

The only person who could get offended by that show is probably Ray Martin. I hope he had enough of a sense of humor to take it in good spirits though.

Oh another good show - The Games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdXJJ7DYgRU

It's Xmas so go buy the box set for someone https://shop.abc.net.au/products/the-games-the-complete-box-set-4dvd

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Dec 4, 2016

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I only got around to watching Rake this year but it's brilliant.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Katering show.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zenithe posted:

Katering show.

Too good for TV.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

freebooter posted:

I only got around to watching Rake this year but it's brilliant.

Need some cal McGregor avs in here imo

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Zenithe posted:

Kattering show.

Featuring Bob walking backwards for 2 consecutive weeks.

Aesculus fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Dec 4, 2016

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Well guys you can pack it in because the people who are behind the Independent Jewish Council of Australia are very really clearly neo nazis, lol.

Any mainstream news source which has repeated this without verification are now involved in disseminating neo-nazi propaganda

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

So the Danby connection is their idea of a joke, got ya. It's all a bit juvenile.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Best bet for publicising it would probably be to send it to the office of noted shitheel Michael Danby

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

Well guys you can pack it in because the people who are behind the Independent Jewish Council of Australia are very really clearly neo nazis, lol.

Any mainstream news source which has repeated this without verification are now involved in disseminating neo-nazi propaganda

Wow what the gently caress...

Why the gently caress is buzzfeed and somethingawful.com now good sources of loving journalism? Jesus christ.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

Higsian posted:

If you think about it the argument Vindicator used above for making a man pay for a child he didn't want could be used as arguments against a woman from having an abortion. And no it's not at all the same burden, I'm referring purely to the argument. If a woman gets pregnant, well she knew that putting a penis in her vagina could result in this, so she can't complain about being pregnant and not being able to get an abortion because she knew what she was getting into.

The difference is that you have to pretend abortion doesn't exist or isn't available to make your argument that the same could be said for women. That's all very well, except abortion does exist, so women have the capacity to decide to keep or not keep the child, and to act on that decision. I mean, if your position is "Well, what if we suddenly decided as a nation to go all fundie and severely restrict abortion services, then women'd be in the same boat", then you're pretty clearly moved to a theoretical and highly unlikely alternate starting position. It's not the same because women's autonomy gives them the ability to act to end an unwanted pregnancy. Men's autonomy gives them the ability to act to prevent the _possibility_ of an unwanted pregnancy, not the pregnancy that has eventuated from past action.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

abortion can be a pretty traumatic experience

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

break-up breakdown posted:

abortion can be a pretty traumatic experience

Mlyp

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

hooman posted:

Wow what the gently caress...

Why the gently caress is buzzfeed and somethingawful.com now good sources of loving journalism? Jesus christ.

That's how far traditional media have fallen.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Auspol is pretty good on news. Every election some sort of dragon awakens and does crazy investigative journalism.

With such hits as: Tony Abbott's botnet, Bill Glassons sweatshop campaign and all the times the ABC and News.com.ay you! Have screenshot posts from here as actual citations.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Apparently the "green army" is being dumped with savings of $350m with $100m of that paying for the greens landcare funding deal.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

norp posted:

Apparently the "green army" is being dumped with savings of $350m with $100m of that paying for the greens landcare funding deal.

This is like, a better outcome every way isn't it?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

How are kids going to learn the value of a hard day's work now?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

open24hours posted:

WftD.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Zenithe posted:

This is like, a better outcome every way isn't it?

AFR today pointed out that the funding that went to the green army was largely pulled from the Landcare funding. At the 2014 budget Landcare lost about $460m, so restoring $100m back still leaves them down by three quarters of what was originally removed.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Politics 101 is acting like you're kingdom come for giving back money that had been taken away. The Greens are just as entitled as any other party to claim that victory of negotiation.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

open24hours posted:

Violent revolution.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

So this is a slight bleedover from USpol stuff, but looks like protesting is actually good and works. I really important thing here is that the media coverage in the US is generally pretty poo poo and favours the law enforcement perspective.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
One of my sister-in-laws works in managing part of the green army. I hope she doesn't lose her job. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

norp posted:

Les Affaires posted:

AFR today pointed out that the funding that went to the green army was largely pulled from the Landcare funding. At the 2014 budget Landcare lost about $460m, so restoring $100m back still leaves them down by three quarters of what was originally removed.

Hahahah oh loving course it is. :suicide:

• Locked thread