Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
google THIS

seems like the only ethical way to move forward with droids is to turn droid manufacturing over to the droids themselves. if their very reason for being brought into existence is to perform a specific duty and they're free to refuse that duty the whole industry is potentially self-defeating, so maybe it would preserve their autonomy better to have them be made by their fellow kind in more of a parent-child kind of way and they can subsequently seek employment

and outlaw restraining bolts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

I still feel bad for the poor rancor keeper

joke_explainer

imagine being a zoologist dedicated to the preservation of that insanely endangered species, this is probably one of the last ones, the only job you can get tending to its special needs the guy requires you to wear a weird bondage outfit, but whatever, you're dedicated, you establish a great bond with this rare creature, then some drops in and kills it, you aren't even certain if there are any left at all

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

I still feel bad for the poor rancor keeper

Android Blues

Even Luke knows this about the rancor. He's not all bad, I guess.

Wookieepedia posted:

"I had to kill a rancor once. It was a shame—they're such fine creatures."
"Even so, they are dangerous to those who are not their friends."
―Luke Skywalker and Tenel Ka Djo, about Jabba's rancor[src]

Android Blues

to be honest though this does support the secretly evil luke theory, that he never canonically expresses regret about all the people dead on the death star but the instant some rancor enthusiast starts a conversation with him hes gushing woeful about the needless death of a huge man eating monster that lives in a pit

Senior Management

To be fair I can understand the remorse over the death or staff being outweighed by the joy of an evil wizard's proven planet destruction machine which has killed many people being destroyed.

:jerry:

joke_explainer

Even if you did something with net good consequences, like kill a million people to save ten billion, probably would not feel to great about it

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

joke_explainer posted:

Even if you did something with net good consequences, like kill a million people to save ten billion, probably would not feel to great about it

blowng up the death star was a dick move
if the rebels had just taken over the control room they could have used it to blow up the weed planet and get the whole galaxy high and chillaxed :weed:

alnilam

with slavery as common as it is, you've got to think they killed a LOT of innocent slaves any time they blew up a big ship. Or if the empire doesn't keep slaves on its ships, at least on Jabba's sail barge. And that's talking about living slaves, not counting the heaps of enslaved droids killed too (sorry if that's considered "non-PC" now but that's the word i grew up with goddammit)

Android Blues

The Death Star explicitly has a prison, in fact it's a plot point in the first movie. Captured wookiees are held there, presumably before they're processed to be shipped back off to Kessel to mine spice - that's the premise of Luke and Han's infiltration plan where they pretend to have captured Chewie. So, in at least one Death Star explosion but probably in both, anywhere between dozens and thousands of political prisoners and escaped slaves were killed as collateral damage in the blast. Grim stuff.

alnilam

Android Blues posted:

The Death Star explicitly has a prison, in fact it's a plot point in the first movie. Captured wookiees are held there, presumably before they're processed to be shipped back off to Kessel to mine spice - that's the premise of Luke and Han's infiltration plan where they pretend to have captured Chewie. So, in at least one Death Star explosion but probably in both, anywhere between dozens and thousands of political prisoners and escaped slaves were killed as collateral damage in the blast. Grim stuff.

Oh right

Brutal

alnilam

Actually one thing i liked a lot about the newest film is they painted the rebellion as very gritty and grim, as we kind of knew it was but it never really was presented that way in 4-6

devil

Hey, just got redirected here from the "what if you could hotbox the death star" thread, just wanted to say, I would totally hot box the death star. Thanks for the thread smoobs

devil

The real question though, is, would anyone else here hot box the death star? Well that's the question from the other thread, just asking it here to help out

devil

And a quick thanks to fluffieduckie for keeping the forum organized, by the way. I know it's a demanding job

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FluffieDuckie

thanks for reminding me to organize it a little more devil

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

smoobles

what if you could hotbox the deathstar?

how much weed would it take?

how would they heat it? i imagine they stuff it in the center and point the laser inward, powered at 1% (or less) and then sort of vape it

let me know if y'all have any thoughts, and god bless

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Piso Mojado

Hell yeah. *rolls up death star windows*

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

joke_explainer

After the emperor died, who technically was in charge of the whole Empire? Or at least, of the forces at Endor?

SHISHKABOB

joke_explainer posted:

After the emperor died, who technically was in charge of the whole Empire? Or at least, of the forces at Endor?

other people in the empire

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

joke_explainer posted:

Vice Emperor Dick Cheney

im cute

joke_explainer posted:

admirals in charge of the navy, imperial governors in charge of their local systems.

comedy option: ur mum, mate

joke_explainer

Okay, that makes sense. I thought it was Vader for a second but you'd have to be a lunatic to put him in any actual position of governmental command without oversight. Because I was thinking he could have just ordered an unconditional surrender / ceasefire the moment he turned on the messed up old guy. But yeah I guess the admirals were determined to fight it out.

joke_explainer

I mean, I guess he could have pretended the Emperor was fine and just say the orders came from him. The Emperor does say "Guards! Leave us!" so there's no witnesses.

Plebian Parasite

I have things to say about the new movie, but i'm not sure if I should, because spoilers.

alnilam

Regulation Size posted:

admirals in charge of the navy, imperial governors in charge of their local systems.

comedy option: ur mum, mate

In fact, in the old extended universe many of these very people kept on fighting afterwards, they were called "remnants" and as Kyle Katarn I've killed many of them

Android Blues

in the scene where admiral motti gets wrecked, one of the moffs mentions that all planets are now under absolute control of their imperial governors since the senate has been dissolved, so that could be the answer. just a bunch of planetary fiefdoms feuding for power? i don't know. the fall of a dictator who rules through fear always leaves a power vacuum and usually involves a subsequent, bloody struggle. i imagine at least one moff declared himself Supreme Lord Protector of the Galaxy or something immediately he heard the news.

i think vader probably could have taken power though, if he'd been interested in it. he may not have had the institutional support of the navy, but he was palpatine's de facto heir and probably could have made a strong power play if he hadn't been dying from lightning zappies. would he have wanted to, though? probably not.

Android Blues

Like, under the ancient laws of the Sith, it's definitely Vader who was next in line for the succession. Palpatine rules his empire as if he's one of the Sith lords of old, so his apprentice usurping their master would just be a natural part of that life cycle. It's complicated by the fact that there's a bunch of bureaucracy built up around the essentially Sith-based philosophy of his government though. He's still using the old Republic skeletal structure, and just sitting on top as a cruel despot.

It's lopsided enough that no matter who steps up, there's no way there's ever going to be a clean transition of power. The essential structure of the whole Imperial project is centred too much around Palpatine's mad philosophy and raw magnetism for it to make any sense once he's no longer actively maintaining it. Civil war is nearly certain as hardcore Palpatinites clash with reformist nationalist bureaucrats and military law-and-order types. Meanwhile, the Rebel Alliance surges in power, and risks becoming the very evil it sought to defeat as a generation of insurgents without proper managerial training attempt to form a functional government. You only need to look at Castro or Robespierre to realise how quickly and how badly this can go wrong.

im cute

Despite the precedent for "One Master, One Apprentice"-style succession in Sith politics, I don't know if those rules apply anymore after the deaths of Palpatine and Vader, who were basically the last of the Sith Lords (at least the last known Sith Lords; the rest may have gone into hiding after realizing how powerful Darth Sidious was becoming). I think most regular joes of the Empire will look to the Imperial Senate to decide who should be emperor next. In the dead gay EU this is basically what happened immediately after Palaptine died: Senate rule in the core worlds while military law-and-order types seized small corners of the Empire and became warlords.

joke_explainer

One thing about Rogue One I would note from the trailer (haven't seen it yet), but the scene with the superlaser being lowered into the Death Star? Unless that's a time lapse shot, that seems vastly too fast. The thing is 140 kilometers in diameter. The circumference would be 439.82 km. The superlaser seems to be about 1/8th of the circumference section long, so about 55 kilometers in diameter.

So this is how thick exactly? Let's just be generous and say it's a shell 1km thick, even though it's clearly bigger than that.

That has a volume of 2375.83 km^3. If that was steel, that'd weigh 54,560,000 times the weight of the Empire State Building. Let's be even more generous and assume it's made of cork. That puts it at 5.7×10^17 grams, which is 7 times the total biomass of Earth, or 5.7 times the estimated mass of all oil produced since 1850 (upper limit). Thanks Wolfram Alpha.

Here I've overlayed the end position of the dish after 24 frames from the start position of the dish and roughly measured them and its trajectory. So a little geometry from that and we end up with a starting distance of about 6.655 km, and by the end of the 24 frames, 5.066 km. This roughly works out with what we'd expect from the visible contraction of the disk, though I didnt' go through fixing the camera's position or anything to get this more accurate, I figure we're just going for a good lower bound. This works out to 1.589 km/sec traveled = 6.356 over 4 seconds total, so about right for what we'd expect, and there's lots of wiggle room in there. So.

570,000,000,000,000 kg moving at 1.589 km/sec = 9.057×10^17 kg m/s in momentum. This would take a single Saturn V 817.7 years to slow down to stationary relative to the Death Star main structure. So you would need 6,451,000,000 Saturn V's to slow it to relatively stationary in 4 seconds. Anything less and that mass is going to strike the superstructure with unimaginable force. Given how easily structures are damaged in this universe, I can't imagine it can survive that kind of hit. And even if you had that kind of robust propulsion structure, how is it not damaging the interior of the Death Star with the engines firing while it slows the mass? There is just no practical reason to do this this quickly. You would want to slowly move the component into place. You cannot move components the size of a dwarf planet at this sort of speed, and nothing in the clip suggests it's a time lapse over weeks.

Maybe it's already connected and a mechanical linkage is drawing it into place, but even that, it would be insane to have it operate at this speed. You'd need the mechanical equivalent of 6.5 billion Saturn V's to accelerate and decelerate it. It would be an insane thing to engineer to use exactly once, in the installation, when you could save so much resources, not to mention space within the Death Star itself, if you just gently put it into place over the course of weeks if not months. 4 seconds is loving insane.

devil

What's a saturn v?

joke_explainer

devil posted:

What's a saturn v?

A rocket used by NASA between 1966 and 1973 that is our tallet, heaviest, and most powerful rockets every built on Earth.

im cute

joke_explainer posted:

One thing about Rogue One I would note from the trailer (haven't seen it yet), but the scene with the superlaser being lowered into the Death Star? Unless that's a time lapse shot, that seems vastly too fast. The thing is 140 kilometers in diameter. The circumference would be 439.82 km. The superlaser seems to be about 1/8th of the circumference section long, so about 55 kilometers in diameter.

So this is how thick exactly? Let's just be generous and say it's a shell 1km thick, even though it's clearly bigger than that.

That has a volume of 2375.83 km^3. If that was steel, that'd weigh 54,560,000 times the weight of the Empire State Building. Let's be even more generous and assume it's made of cork. That puts it at 5.7×10^17 grams, which is 7 times the total biomass of Earth, or 5.7 times the estimated mass of all oil produced since 1850 (upper limit). Thanks Wolfram Alpha.

Here I've overlayed the end position of the dish after 24 frames from the start position of the dish and roughly measured them and its trajectory. So a little geometry from that and we end up with a starting distance of about 6.655 km, and by the end of the 24 frames, 5.066 km. This roughly works out with what we'd expect from the visible contraction of the disk, though I didnt' go through fixing the camera's position or anything to get this more accurate, I figure we're just going for a good lower bound. This works out to 1.589 km/sec traveled = 6.356 over 4 seconds total, so about right for what we'd expect, and there's lots of wiggle room in there. So.

570,000,000,000,000 kg moving at 1.589 km/sec = 9.057×10^17 kg m/s in momentum. This would take a single Saturn V 817.7 years to slow down to stationary relative to the Death Star main structure. So you would need 6,451,000,000 Saturn V's to slow it to relatively stationary in 4 seconds. Anything less and that mass is going to strike the superstructure with unimaginable force. Given how easily structures are damaged in this universe, I can't imagine it can survive that kind of hit. And even if you had that kind of robust propulsion structure, how is it not damaging the interior of the Death Star with the engines firing while it slows the mass? There is just no practical reason to do this this quickly. You would want to slowly move the component into place. You cannot move components the size of a dwarf planet at this sort of speed, and nothing in the clip suggests it's a time lapse over weeks.

Maybe it's already connected and a mechanical linkage is drawing it into place, but even that, it would be insane to have it operate at this speed. You'd need the mechanical equivalent of 6.5 billion Saturn V's to accelerate and decelerate it. It would be an insane thing to engineer to use exactly once, in the installation, when you could save so much resources, not to mention space within the Death Star itself, if you just gently put it into place over the course of weeks if not months. 4 seconds is loving insane.

this is truly.. the dardk side.. of the force

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

devil posted:

The real question though, is, would anyone else here hot box the death star? Well that's the question from the other thread, just asking it here to help out

hell yeah pass that poo poo :420:

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

They might have 6.5 billion Saturn fives, you don't know. I already have 500 million of them, and I've only been collecting for about five years.

joke_explainer

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

They might have 6.5 billion Saturn fives, you don't know. I already have 500 million of them, and I've only been collecting for about five years.

But then the issue of the exhaust obliterating death star superstructure comes into play. I mean, we already know that have antigravity technology of various kinds, so inertia is probably not a complete deal breaker. It just seems really weird to slam
it down like that I guess. Presumably inertia-absorbing and gravity-projecting technology takes energy to use? And takes up space in the superlaser thing? Again, that's a ton of machinery and energy they did not have to use. They could have built it in place. Or just gone slowly, slow enough for tiny thrusters to ease it gently into the dock.

I mean, my first thought was they must be using the engine on the death star itself to just move the entire station onto the superlaser. That'd make more sense, as we know the DS itself needs engines and has a crazy amount of power. But the DS doesn't appear to move relative to the camera position. Also, it appears to be rotating? Why are they making this so complicated

Slugnoid

in the bit where han solo climbs down into the crypt to find the grail knights tomb, you can see bits of the torch he's carrying fall into the petrol he's supposed to be knee deep in but it doesn't ignite until the dude in the fez drops a match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles

anyone catch the titular line?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

• Locked thread