Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

orcinus posted:

Goons are whatever the ~dreams~ require them be.

REally they should just let goons be the Vanduul. Goons make much better antagonists than any shoddy AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

a cyberpunk goose posted:

You can't just make shifty vague posts all the time padded by 4 paragraphs of ancillary details that we all already know and act like you're bringing anything to the table

Or can you?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Everyone likes to throw out the what-ifs for the completely unlikely event of SC being released as a possible win for people from here but even if it did, would anyone seriously want to give Chris Roberts money? After all this?

I don't think trying to fill a bucket with commando-tears would be worth the price of admission if it meant giving a single dollar to these people.

Eh, if the game is functional it might be worth it for like :20bux: on a steam sale.

Especially they decide to abandon the whales that are already tapped out to attract new money, so they stand by the idea that it's not pay to win and all the stuff that was available to backers for cash is actually easy to get in game. Six months after launch the only difference between a $40 player and a $15,000 player is an embarrassing Rear Admiral title on the forums.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Amarcarts posted:

I'd say it's not worth any amount of money. If you think about it, it's not really worth your limited amount of time on this earth. Games in general are a guilty pleasure, kind of a waste of the gift of life. Nobody is perfect though and games can be incredibly fun, especially if you can socialize with real friends while doing so. To willingly play a bad game though?

The one exception to this would be if you had real life friends or family who played Star Citizen and it is your chance to socialize. The whole thing is tainted though because what kind of friend would force you to play Star Citizen?

edit: I suppose a second exception would be if there is good greifing potential. So the question is: How many $ is it worth giving CIG for the ability to greif Shitizens?

I, uh, I played EVE Online for a few years. In Goonswarm. As a director. I really don't have any high ground to criticize people playing bad games. :blush:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My daughter got one of these for Christmas. She loves the drat thing. Even as we speak she's grabbing her bear and running around it, asking us to push her. It's mom's turn so I get a bit of down time.

I pity those kids.

I think that kid is scamming you. That car clearly uses a flintstone propulsion system and doesn't require a push.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Project sketch:

I like digital synthesizers and want to make my ownish design. This arduino-compatible has some interesting features and has the capabilities needed for some pretty cool processing:

However, I also want to be able to turn knobs and push buttons and stuff to adjust the sound. Making a functional keyboard from tactile switches is absolutely possible but I've thought of a dumber solution: buy one of these cheap chinese toy keyboards and mod the keys into input:

$1.50:

$5:

$10:

Now that's so cheap it almost feels stupid. I've bought one of each of these little plastic miracles, will let you know how it works out

Which keyboard did you get? I hope it was the pink one. :peanut:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Read. It. Again.

Slowly.

The yellow one and pink one are the same model, so I assumed you only bought one or the other. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nicholas posted:

A fact I haven't seen brought up with regards to CIGs plan for infinite scaling using AWS, is that while new servers can be spun up to increase player connections, the database does not scale at all. As soon as you clone a database for a new instance it gets out of sync, and you can't just merge all the new information together in later on. All clients must be communicating to a single database. This is probably the reason why Lumberhard specifically states that it's not suitable for anything persistant across instances (such as an MMO)

I'm not sure how most MMO's handle it; I'm guessing it's probably a combination of sharding servers, having a hard cap on the number of simultanious connections (so definitely not "infinite scaling"), and being really careful about what each client is writing back to the database (so no millions of NPCs doing things that update tables constantly for no reason)

In EVE Online they added Time Dilation (TiDi). If thousands of people wound up on the same server the game clock would slow down to keep everything running smoothly. It was like lag, but not lag, because lag used to affect people unevenly. Before TiDi sometimes a group would jump onto a grid and be stuck paralyzed on a black screen for several minutes, while their opponents who had already loaded the grid would be free to move around and shoot. TiDi could be agonizingly slow, but at least it was fair for everyone in a given system. Once the server got down to 10% or so of normal speed anyone trying to enter the system would get "traffic controlled" and be unable to enter. That let thousands of players participate in a battle together.

The best part was that normally several "star systems" share each server. If you planned a huge battle you could tell them the day before and they would put that system on it's own server for the day. But if plans went awry and a big battle happened without warning, then several nearly empty systems that happened to be on the same server that day could end up TiDi'd for no apparent reason. A flight that would normally take 1 minute could take 10 minutes, and the only escape is to reach a gate and jump out of the system.

I'm not sure if there is any other MMO that lets literally thousands of people be in the same 'room' together having a brawl. It's kinda EVE's big thing.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Titanic posted:

There is nothing as invigorating as the feeling of being in a box for 14 hours before jumping out into a shipping center and yelling "freeze!" at all of the stunned shipping people.

It's only until the guy with the forklift license stops, the smell of indoor propane burning fumes filling your nose, and says, "What the gently caress lady?" before you know that you have won. His sweat covered arms debased with 41 year old tattoos he got in a now closed tattoo parlor somewhere in California.

Of course he never expected the end result as he had to face head to head with the unfortunate consequences of surprise piracy.

Victory for the Stimperor, one small postal center at a time. :clint:

Is this game on Steam yet?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ash1138 posted:

it could be controlling a pc that's hooked up to a tv. we have the same setup in our conference room at work

No, that dude is just really good at touch typing. So good that he doesn't need a monitor at all.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Chin posted:

Why would Erin Roberts, head of Foundry 42, the biggest studio focusing primarily on SQ42, need to fly across the Atlantic for a PU discussion?

And why is this taking place in Austin? Surely Chris could more conveniently have the minions fly to him in LA.

Thanks for the confirmations, Sandi.

Why do they need to meet in person at all? Haven't they heard of teleconferencing? :iiam:

It's almost like spreading your dudes across a bunch of studios all over the world isn't a completely good idea.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Justin Tyme posted:

, unless you're some sperg that wants The Sims in space and want to worry about not accidentally making GBS threads your space pants.

Hey now, no need to dis the Sims. They've got that lucrative Mom demographic locked down.

Moms in space? It's more likely than you think.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Have DS and Lowtax been incarcerated yet? This is taking forever.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Star citizen sex robot? More like this:

http://i.imgur.com/VaxIFs6.gifv

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Don't laugh at his worm, it's not a joke and he's very sensitive about it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kosumo posted:

Dude, you cant claim to poo poo post yet also pay tax with such a dream catte.

That catte is totally unshit.

The cat is dreaming of Windows tho. Bit strange.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Iceclaw posted:

Shouldn't we call Derek "Captain Derek", considering he seems to helm an eternal whalehunt?

I prefer 'Derek "Ahab" Smart'.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I thought they were just making expresso in there.

Hey man, making expresso is hard, okay? You just don't understand counter stain development.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

XK posted:

That I've gotten this many responses on blind flailing in VR causing problems, in this thread alone, in 30 minutes, suggests that I'm totally correct in thinking everyone will smash into things while using VR. I don't even understand how you don't stomp on the wires and rip them out.

You're basically blindfolding yourself and throwing your body around. You might as well be sleepwalking while dreaming you're in an MMO fight.

Why hasn't any video game website ever done an article on this? I'd be more worried about punching my stove while in VR than whether my gender was properly represented in an FPS.

Yes, people have written about it. http://www.usgamer.net/articles/will-virtual-reality-kill-us-all

Of course VR blindness was solved 20 years ago, just get someone to build you one of these babies:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jobbo_Fett posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3U123TmDcg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plwBJvrthic

Downloaded both vids as backups incase those two youtube accounts are suddenly hit with "Spam" reports

But why? Why would anyone steal that? Surely a logo artist could whip up a dozen completely original yet generic sale logos to decorate the displays in a couple workdays. And then they'd all have similar style and look like they belonged together in that shop/franchise. I don't want to undervalue the work artists and graphic designers do, but "text in a circle" is not that complex. I'm pretty sure there are apps that will let you choose a color, shape, font and text and generate those for you.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Guy DeBorgore posted:

So I just remembered that they sold a concept "News Van" so people could fulfill their dreams of being a Space Journalist , because of COURSE there'll be mechanics to support that

Does anyone know how much this beauty cost?https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ships/reliant/Reliant-Mako-News-Van

EVE Online has Space Journalists, therefore the best space sim ever will need them too. EVE doesn't even have news vans though (the space journalists just fly around in normal cloaked ships and then broadcast via Twitch or a website like plebs) so clearly SC will be better.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hobold posted:

Race/Class locks are one of the most annoying bullshit things that games can have in them. Thank WoW for that I presume.

Not that I had any inkling of interest in that game, that chart just murdered it.

I wouldn't thank WoW, that's been an RPG standard for ages. Heck, it predates vidya games. Just double checked my old books, and it was in the AD&D 2nd ed (1989) that humans sole advantage was that they could be any class. In the original D&D Elf, Dwarf, and Halfling were classes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

kw0134 posted:

Reading over the past few effort posts about what to expect in a space game, I wonder: why is it about space games that attract this need to throw everything into it? You can do all this on Earth, and of course all these activities that are being touted are all real-life analogs. Shrink the scale and there's nothing to stop a game from featuring a flight attendant who jumps into an F-16 on weekends to perform merc work for some PMC and then explore some of the places on Earth which have seen little human contact so you can say you've been there. All the while you can decide to play comex trader on the Chicago Mercantile and direct your fleet of delivery truck drivers (or be one yourself if you like) to spread your goods to all sorts retail outlets, in multiple nations even. There's no game that's Civ plus Capitalism plus MS Flight Sim plus Harpoon plus Desert Bus plus Call of Duty plus Whatever bullshit that reflects being a flight attendant. Even leaving aside how mundane many of these jobs would be since Train Sim is a thing, everyone would acknowledge that this would be an unfeasibly huge mess of a game.

SC is mundane Earth activities...but in SPAAAACCEEEEE!!! How is any of this scope reasonable? Why is it that once you put something in space, you can ask a developer ("developer") to put in an inordinate amount of fine detail on random nonsense that would be utterly out of place in a game set in the world we actually inhabit? I must have missed the mini-game in MS Flight Sim where you get out of the cockpit and ask each passenger whether he or she wants a soda or coffee, then trundle down the aisle with your special drinks cart and you have to serve it correctly or you lose points.

It's not just space. Illfonic's failed lovecraftian RPG Revival had similar things. Which was even more hilarious, because to be lovecraftian it was supposed to be a low magic medieval-ish setting. So people were sperging about things like 'will bathing or not bathing have an in game effect?' so once a week your character would need to go wash to avoid a stinky status effect. Or "if you have a horse and stable, will you have to shovel out the manure to keep your pretty pretty pony happy and healthy?" So that some people could RP being a freelance stable boy or something who would muck out rich people's stalls for them.

https://www.revivalgame.com/blog
https://www.facebook.com/revivalgame/

They learned from CR and were selling virtual houses for the game that didn't exist yet. And then one day one of the subcontractors made a post in the official forums that the project had been canceled and the subcontractors let go. AFAIK that was the only notification their customers ever got. Not so much as an email. The only way to request a refund was to file a ticket in their bug reporting tracker. Very few people received a refund, most got a stock message "we are considering refunds on a case by case basis" and never replied to again.

Edit: If you have archives you can see goons go from hope to crushed dreams and then LOLing at retards who house jpgs in just 18 pages: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3730761&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 21, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Foo Diddley posted:

This is a good post, but I want to point out that absolutely no one appreciates the low-level scrub who's reducing the city's rat population

My experience is mainly with MUDs, so it might be different in your Worlds of Warcraft or your Final Fantasies or whatever

In a roleplay MUD you could be appreciated for performing mundane roles well. For example in the Darksun-themed Armageddon MUD you could get OOC accolades for playing a filthy, diseased scavenger well, even while IC the fancy nobels spit on you.

I doubt RP MMOs will ever happen though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

My god, it's full of dogs.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

no_recall posted:

Could someone explain how all this no-clip is possible?

Star Citizen is the land of dreams if you can dream it you can do it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

XK posted:

I hate all this DLC poo poo going on now. I remember, back in the day, when you'd buy some full game for $50, and it had everything the developers could manage to cram into it. Then, if you were really into it, you'd buy an expansion pack 6 months later for $20. And that expansion pack would have new levels, skins, weapons, etc. A real game expansion that only existed because the base game was popular, so more effort was put into doing more. Nothing in the original release was held back with the thought of selling add-ons later.

All piece-meal DLC is absolute trash, whether it's selling a weapon skin for 99 cents, or a ship for $2,500.

The only company that seems to be doing it right, at the moment, is the Bloodborne/DarkSouls guys. $20 expansion pack gets you new weapons, areas, enemies, and story line.

I'll refuse to play any game that does a-la-carte DLC just on principle alone.

Crusader Kings II is the only good a-la-carte DLC I've seen. The original game is a complete game about being a noble lineage in christian medieval europe. You can get hundreds of hours of gameplay out of the base game.

A couple times a year there is a gameplay expansion pack that adds to or expands on that premise, for example muslims, or merchant republics, or india, or the byzantine empire, or an extra 200 years of history, complete with meaningful new mechanics. At the same time as a gameplay expansion pack there will be cosmetic expansion packs that will have portraits for a specific ethnic group, an expansion pack that has new music, and an expansion pack that has new unit skins for some soldiers.

Don't care to play as a muslim kingdom? Don't buy that pack. The new rules for muslims will still be applied to NPC muslims automatically, but you won't be able to play as a muslim yourself.

Are you a grumpy old grognard who only cares about gameplay, and doesn't give a gently caress about music or culturally authentic portraits/unit skins? Buy the gameplay packs and keep using the generic art assets.

Whenever a big new expansion pack comes out, all the packs more than a year old get a deep discount on Steam, so if you are patient/stingy you can get everything for much less than the current $300+ for the whole shebang. http://store.steampowered.com/app/203770/Crusader_Kings_II/

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

XK posted:

Another Star Citizen expert on how things work in space.

It's pretty clear that they aren't even able to begin to pretend they can do any form of docking. They're faking landing on worlds with sandworms, mining, cargo, trade markets, all kinds of poo poo, but docking, nope. No docking.

Shitizen physics expert: "But what if nothing is moving?"

SC Developer: "Nope, sorry."

We should respect the truth spoken by them straight out saying there will be no docking. We should also understand that no docking means their physics are all hosed.

If you think about it, everything in the universe is moving all the time. :2bong:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Okay team, time to pull together. Everyone go buy a $10 outhouse RIGHT NOW.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sappo569 posted:

How can surface outposts be done if they JUST added surface outpost lighting... like

These updates make less sense each time

Remember in Genesis when G*d created the light and the day night cycle on day 1, but the sun wasn't created until day 4? Croberts works the same way.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Obviously in 20 years when this is the best and last video game ever, peeps will be willing to pay top dollar to have first edition merchandise like this.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Where can I get some of this hair?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CaptainBtaksDad posted:

Chris has been on record saying he thinks hes only currently tapped 10% of the market for his game.

lol

Demand is huge, as long as you include people willing to buy it for :10bux: or less during a big Steam sale. Untapped market: "Star Citizen? Oh yeah, I remember hearing about that a few years ago. Does it have Steam trading cards?"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Last time CR released a game you either had to pay full sticker price, or wait like 3 years for it to show up in the bargain bin. Does he know that has changed? Does he realize many gamers expect to see big discounts within the first year? Or does he really expect Squad42 to sell hundreds of thousands of copies at $60 a pop? LOL

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

EmesiS posted:

https://m.imgur.com/a/yQUk6

For science and education purposes.

I don't think that's her. That woman is capable of showing emotion.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TheAgent posted:

guess they are pushing back 3.0 two extra weeks tomorrow

lol

Tick Tock.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Titanic posted:

I can understand the other guys we're trying to role play rabbit aliens and being bad at it.

But I never understood toilet man. I mean, why? Is there really a guy(s?) out there dying to sit on the space toilet? What do they think is going to happen? A push minigame or something?

If you look closely you'll see the spaceman doesn't have pants or underwear around his ankles, as one normally does when pooping. He's cosplaying as a guy who just wanders around the ship in socks and a t-shirt. Sounds like some sort of fetish to me. Especially if that's one of those big multicrew ships.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Beet Wagon posted:

At least my cat has enough dignity to act embarrassed when she accidentally pisses outside her litterbox.

That's never an accident.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gradis posted:

my older catte has started pissing out the box. it sits in the tray but aims out and ends up pissing all over the place. what magic box is this?

Have you heard of the litter robot? It's like $500, but still a better spaceship than anything CR is offering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4PaCFL1js0

I'd like to see a cat try to piss out of that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fatkraken posted:

nope

One of my cats would literally just stand in it, facing inwards, with all 4 feet in the litter, raise it's tail and squirt piss out of it's catbutt directly out of the door. Another would probably be so scared from the motor running between pisses he'd assume it was a monster and wouldn't use it at all.

Dreams. Dreams happen now.