Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Zowie EC-1 Evo has mostly the same shape as the intellimouse explorer

Zowie is good and is what I use for my gaming mice. For work/everyday mice, though, I like the vertical mouse design of Evoluent more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Sunswipe posted:

I still don't understand how this is happening. I was playing games on the PS1 where your character could seamlessly get into a vehicle and drive/fly off. Why is it causing so many problems for CIG now?

Other people's solutions are not good enough for CIG.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Propagandist posted:

this is too much fun

Looks like a Chutes and Ladders board.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

happyhippy posted:

If you are going that route, Goons financed and made swap.avi.
1 out of 2 is still better than 0 out of 2 from CIG.

I hope there are some people who have never heard of swap.avi and are now going to look it up.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

CrazyTolradi posted:

So basically like how RPG's like Daggerfall would create a quest?

Pages ago, but I just went :allears: from the nostalgia this post brought me. Daggerfall was one of the earliest Elder Scrolls games. It was a 3D game released in '96.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yes, it would have localized physics. I could do pulled pork at 225 on one grate and chicken at 325 on another.

Note: You can't see at the top, but there are hooks that they hang the ribs from. So, you have some meat cooking at a 90 degree angle and its juices drip down to the meat on the grate below, which then has juices drip onto the meat on the grate below, etc.

Leatha's BBQ is drat amazing.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

DapperDon posted:

The problem I have with units like these is that the "juices" which is fat that turns rancid due to it not being cleaned.

*shrug* No one seems to have any problems with the food that restaurant serves. Popularly known as one of the best places to eat BBQ in the US.

----

I have a couple friends and a brother that upgraded their computers over a year ago for Star Citizen. They still believe in the dream despite me pointing out that by the time the game is actually playable (lol), they will need to upgrade their machines again.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

DapperDon posted:

Golden Corral seems to run on that same principal as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb4A2IrdV2k

*shudders*

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Goobs posted:

Morrowind expansion for ESO is coming out which includes a new class. Housing is also out next week. Never seen a game turn around from poo poo (at launch) to amazing (present) like this before.

Star Citizen is poo poo.

Warframe, FF 14, and Marvel Heroes are a few that come to my mind.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

So you think this will be the first early access survival crafting game ever to exit early access? I'll take that bet.

Planet Explorers released. :haw:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Hav posted:

That could work as a ride. You're getting thrown around and have to hit targets from the car-mounted gun.

$10 million please, Disney.

There is a haunted house nearby that, as a side attraction, built a town around the premises. They attach a big trailer to a tractor and drive everyone through the fake town. The gimmick is that the town has a bunch of actors playing as zombies shuffling and crawling towards the audience on the trailer and that the trailer is armed with stationary paint ball guns.

The actors will stumble and fall and writhe and stuff as they get hit. It's really cool and fun.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tarquinn posted:

They canned the original Warhammer Fantasy, their longest running franchise, in favour of a simplified system that allowed them to include fantasy space marines (the best selling part of 40k) and to trademark classic fantasy races like Elves and Orks by renaming them Aelfs™ and Orruks™.

This simplified system also included rules for certain legacy units where you would get a bonus for tricking your opponent to kneel irl, or galloping around the room like you were riding an invisible horse, and other such foolishness. It is thought to have been an attempt at discouraging use of the older models to get players to buy the new ones.

It also lost a lot of humor that the original version had and was just all grim-dark all the time.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

XK posted:

Guys, it's pretty obvious the language will be named Tickle.

https://www.tcl.tk/about/language.html

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

XK posted:

Please don't remind me of how I nearly gave up programming after bashing my head against UI development using Tcl/Tk and Qt. I much preferred direct win32 and C++ STL, even if it was technically more obtuse. I realized I'm an algorithm and under-the-hood guy. gently caress UI programming.

I had to learn tcl when working for a hospital. We had an interface engine (a kind of middleware that routes communications between devices and the medical record database) that only used code written in that language when transforming data so that receiving systems could understand it.

This kind of massaging was necessary because the standard protocol for medical device communication (HL7) had more interpretations than the HTML standard did in the Netscape days. It was rare that we ever encountered a vendor with no custom segments that also followed the protocol to a T.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Erenthal posted:

You know, considering how long the PU has been out, and how frequently this happens, it blows my mind that they don't have a lock system in place yet. Now, I know nothing about game development, but I cannot imagine that a simple flag toggling "ARE DOORS LOCKED Y/N" can be that hard to implement.

Binary outcomes is the opposite of fidelity.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

"Limited number of discount starter packages". For digital goods.

"While supplies last." For digital goods.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

happyhippy posted:

Peon: So AI should take approx 5% per cycle, UI should take 2%, which are the current standards for gam...
Chris: How about!
*collective sigh goes around room. Chris thinks this is an acknowledgment of his brilliance*
Chris: How about we make the UI in the cloud!

FF XIV 1.0 already did this. It was as big of a disaster as you think something Roberts came up with would be.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tippis posted:

A much sillier kickstarter has it beat…

57mm, 3kg. :black101:

Guide to Glorantha was so big they had to split it up into two physical books. Over 5.5kg. :v:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

stingtwo posted:

computer clock time 10/27/16

:lol: It really is.

e: derp, that's from when the tweet was posted. im moron

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

XK posted:

I run Linux on my everyday desktop for the last decade. Let me check.

Oh, none of them. I guess that's why I bought a PS4.

A few have been backported, I think: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?os=linux

e: unless SteamOS just runs them in an emulator or something

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Thronde posted:

I just got stationed in Jax/Mayport so it wasn't entirely my choice. But so far Jacksonville kicks rear end. Like east coast San Diego.

I like going to Rockville, but this looks to be the first year out of the last five that I miss it. :(

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Thronde posted:

110 bones for tickets prevented me from going. Especially since id have had to get the weekend pass to really see everyone I wanted to.

Moving expenses make me :pgabz: :argh:

The only thing that annoys me about it every year is the bands who don't bring their own sound person. The people they have on staff are just terrible at it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

spacetoaster posted:

Well that's in my amazon history now. Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/history

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

I posted that link so you could remove it from your history, in case you didn't know you could.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

TheAgent posted:

also persona 5...good? not sure if anime can be good, but is good maybe

discuss

It is a well-made game that is good at what it does. If you don't like anime jrpg's crossed with Pokémon and dating sims, then you won't like the game.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Titanic posted:

I don't really get it either, but admittedly when I was working on a Doom wad when I was 14 not many of my girlfriends were too interested. I think somewhere in the 90's games and computers had a stigma associated with them that made association with it unfavorable to be a part of. It all became the same sort of dirty underbelly as D&D.

The media was blaming video games for everything bad, etc etc. I don't really think it became mainstream until mid to late 2k.

Though computer science itself is very similar to stuff like engineering, and when I was getting my degree there were very few other women in CS. I'm not saying women aren't getting good educations though, because when I visited chemistry and medical schools there was probably more women than men present.

I think CS will eventually cross over more to women, it's still a fairly new school relatively speaking. It'll just take more brave women to wade into another male dominated avenue, but it'll equal out eventually. Some of the best and smartest professors I had were women, too. Just another hurdle to cross. :)

What's hosed up is that women had made many of the key advances in the field early on and they were well on their way to having 50/50 representation until the mid 80's. Then, many things happened to drive prospective young women away from CS.
http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2014/10/21/357629765/when-women-stopped-coding

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tippis posted:

Nah. They're not clever enough to be lazy.

It takes planning and skill to be effectively lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Mr.Tophat posted:

I've never paid for a season pass in my life. Has there ever been a season path that's been worth it? I'm talking about a judgement based on hindsight. They usually cost the same as a full priced game nowadays and I've always seen it as a bullshit product/service.

Forza Horizons 3.