Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

Has anyone said 'ManofManyAnuses' yet?

edit: I, for one, am glad of the fresh start.

What human interface devices do you oft elect to use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Erenthal posted:

He only uses human restraint devices though?

if he had human restraint he'd be $10k richer

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

spacetoaster posted:

How about this guy?

what about him

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
CIG found out they did no work this week so they had to refactor the release schedule to ReleaseWeek += ReleaseWeek

it happens all the time when competent companies make promises about content their customers have paid for

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

The Titanic posted:

When you probably insult and berate your employees for having an opinion, he probably did not care what anyone thought. He may have run it by Sandi, who may have added some extra hate, but that's how it goes. Insanity is free. However, we haven't seen anything else from him since so he probably got "advised" to not speak to the plebs again.

I'm pretty sure Ben wrote it

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ewe2 posted:

Oh hey, new thread. As a somewhat musician I have written over the last year some songs and parodies that traced events as they occurred to goons. Just to make it easier to find, here they all are, with lyrics where appropriate.

I also did a remix of your dancey cat

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

cool new Polack jokes posted:

I'm a video game idiot. What's no-clip?

No collision detection, you just point wherever and go there.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Solarin posted:

“That is someone who has their preconceived notions and will settle for something that isn't good enough. The first and the third-person, there were a lot of people on the team who said that you cannot do it. They said it wasn't possible. Illfonic [the contractor building Star Marine] said the same thing. The same with the character stuff: I said we need to do it. And the inventory… it happens right now in [version] 2.4. You can put jackets and trousers on, and caps. There's layering with the armour. So everything that that person told you that couldn't happen, it's all in the game now and it's all at the quality [I asked for]. We've got as good or better than what 1886 has.

“That is an example of people saying 'No, I can't do it' and fighting that corner. They are the people I don't get on with and they are the people who end up not being at the company… If I was going to be clichéd, if it was an American person I'd say I want an Ameri-can, not an Ameri-can't. I want someone who tries [...] because we absolutely can do it. We’re trying to do something that has the fidelity that you see in The Order, or has the fidelity you see in a first-person shooter but has multiplayer online and this huge universe and I absolutely, to the very fibre of my being, know it can happen.

“It's not easy. I think the difference between a great game and an okay game is people that try to do the hard things. It's the JFK speech about going to the moon: We do it because it's hard, not because it's easy. That's what I expect from the team and if the pushback is 'Well, I didn't do this when I was working at this other company', then, well, here we're trying to push it a bit more and if you can't get on board then you're probably not right for the team. I'm sure that I'm not the only game creator who is in that situation occasionally.”

Chris definitely hasn't left the imaginarium to play his broken shitheap of a game since last year

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TheLightPurges posted:

I have returned.

Does this mean d_shart is gone

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TheLightPurges posted:

Well that's the MVP right there. There never will be anything else. Especially if they are going to see how 'lude is received (it wont go well). It will take all of 2017+ to poop that stuff out, they'll limp around for months (collecting pledges) and then they will shut down.

Nothing will shut down until the money stops rolling in, and backers have shown to be almost inconceivably resistent to failure on CIG's part

We'll all be here a year from now, wondering what the hell happened/didn't happen. As long as they can keep the Citizens from playing their broken heap of poo poo they'll be happy

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TheLightPurges posted:

Yea I think they'll make it to 2018 in some form. But they have to release something for SQ42 next year and that will be the end of them when they can't hide behind "alpha" anymore. The dream balloon has to pop at some point.

But yea if theres one thing this thread has been perpetually wrong about (me especially) its the willingness of the backers to be poo poo on then spend.

I would have thought the same about SQ42 a year ago, I really didn't think they'd have another year without major uproar

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Star Citizen - Conservative Expectations

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TheLightPurges posted:

How far do you think the "well you cant judge them on this release they're a rookie dev studio on their first time out" will carry them?

I actually don't think that one will see much use, maybe in a couple bad reviews but the backers mostly use that to defend CIG's business practices and general incompetence, not the game itself

It'll be fun to see if they manage to get sqlude out next year despite their best efforts. I was convinced they'd make it happen this year, at least a couple hours of gameplay with ten hours of cringy mocap cringe. I mean, how loving hard could it be

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TheLightPurges posted:

Star Citizen sucks eggs

Smash Mouth joke

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

I.N.R.I posted:

There aren't any sane people left that still talk about this game on a daily basis except for the people working on it and the people who have money invested in it

You think those people are sane :psyduck:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

D_Smart posted:

In today's episode of "Banter With Ben"

Well this is interesting. Play close attention to Ben's statements re: SM in Evocati. Maybe it's just me, but all his statements lead me to believe that he's trying to tell us something (that I'm right).

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=4857195&viewfull=1#post4857195

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=4857401&viewfull=1#post4857401

Sorry Derek but you're shaking a birch for apples, that guy will tell you nothing

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

mdxi posted:

You guys you guys RELAY.SC is live!

It also appears to be boring and insufferable. Truly, they are the successors of INN.

Join our hosts Neckbeard, Bowtie, that anorexic dude with a British accent and that guy in the wheelchair, for a two-hour crazy ride of non-stop skype action

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Join our hosts Neckbeard, Bowtie, that anorexic dude with a British accent and that guy in the wheelchair, for a two-hour crazy ride of non-stop skype action

It's actually much, much worse

Twelve hour launch party

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 3, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

I.N.R.I posted:

What's wrong with being in a wheelchair?

Nothing, it's just how people in the thread know him

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
"Will we ever get to see scrapped concepts of the Prowler?
:lesnick: uuhh I dunno

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Saladin Rising posted:

Dumb question, what does "whales" mean specifically?

If you mean the term, it's borrowed from the gambling world and is used for the small number of gambling addicts who contribute a disproportionate amount of your profits

It's used to describe f2p players as well, where a common scenario is that 5% of your players pay anything, and about 5% of those players contribute as much as 90% of total sales

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

grimcreaper posted:

Dragon age 2 was absolutely fantastic. The only lovely thing about it was the constant re-use of the same loving caves and map areas. Beyond that the story was incredible.

glad someone enjoyed it, I certainly didn't

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

peter gabriel posted:

So I went to this nerdfest thing today with the boy and MY WIFE - It was good, because my son is still only 6 and was in his full Dart Vader outfit he gets all the 'awwww' factor stuff off the people there - all the dudes dressed as storm troopers and stuff that were walking around kept bowing and saluting him, all the ones dressed as Han Solo etc ran for cover, it was the most :3: day just for that, nerds have gone way up in my estimations, it was so fun.

There was also some good nerd models there, like this Hull E Battlestar Galactica ship

And this

And it all kicked off in the Squadron 42 demo Cantina

Anyway that was my day thanks for reading

Glad to hear you had an enjoyable evening with your female and heir

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

writing that made me want to wash my hands

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

The Titanic posted:

So for all you guys and girls who bought this, even if you later refunded it...

Is this what you were envisioning? Like outside of the cost of the ship and it was just free with the game that might come out. Is this the vision you saw and what you hoped it would be?

I personally think it looks a bit silly, but I think this was supposed to be the "space train" everybody was sperging over back in the day? If so I think it looks very train-y.

It's almost exactly like what I was envisioning

Not really sure what I'm looking at though, is the outer hull invisible? Is it supposed to look like poo poo?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Raskolnikov posted:

Soooo tickle cash funding Star Citizen? Yes or no?

Tickled is a weird but lovely movie.

I was hoping the tickler in black would show up

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:popeye:

I am greatly humbled and thankful

Thank you kindly :3:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

alphabettitouretti posted:

Yeah that's about it. SLI and Crossfire are for chumps with too much money to waste. I bet he's got RAID 0 SSDs too.

That's pretty dumb and wasteful imo. Better to RAID-1 those disks if you want redundancy, better to buy a newer, faster SSD if you've got a speed fetish.

In any case the perceived real-world performance doesn't differ very much between a good SSD and a very good SSD, you're much more likely to hit another bottleneck

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

MedicineHut posted:

Puzzled that this hasn't made it yet into the RSI forums, SC reddit or even the Evocati leaks reddit thingie.

too embarrassing

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sandweed posted:

Gotta respect the NDA you know.

Oh right, that's what I meant

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Xaerael posted:

No probs. I was never going to ban anyone if I won anyway.

It got rid of Marching Powder. Someone who's primary non- contribution to the thread was unironically whining about how people were not contributing to the thread. The straw that broke the camel's back for me was his "I'm not sexist, but..." post about another poster who has contributed a ton to the thread. He expected the thread to act as his personal army of performing monkeys, while suffering his occasional sexism and homo/transphobia.

He will be remembered by the single post where he contributed the most he could to the thread.

Truly the pinnacle of literary genius. He will be sorely missed. And by sorely missed I mean not at all, because he never loving contributed a thing other than one word reactions and meltdowns about how people were not entertaining him.

I remember when I posted a cap of a bad FYAD post and MP went to the FYAD thread, read it all and then chastised me over half a dozen posts for not including context

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Decrepus posted:

Guys, I think we were wrong, I'm buying back in (under a different name so they don't shame me too bad).

Good luck fellow unleaver, I tried to rebuy but they caught me and force-refunded me again

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

I would rather eat cat cookies than those 2 week old dusted cat turds that Scandinavian idiot posted in the last thread

Seriously, you want me to seal cookies in a container for weeks on end- and only then will they be "just right"? gently caress you.

In all seriousness, that thread was getting big for the sake of being big. Endless contentless posts just to artificially increase the page count. Bad thread mechanics, new refactor fixed everything :evilbuddy:

E: somebody find that post for my daily Two Minutes' Hate :argh:

are fresh cat turds better?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Apparently they have to sit in a dark airless tin for about a fortnight, then the fuckin danes are all over em

You're wrong concerning both fortnight and danes

Maybe you should read the thread again

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
What the gently caress is this poo poo

I mean,

quote:

Recalibration of a misaligned audio processor can be accomplished via pressing a sequence of eight buttons associated with musical notes to match a test melody whose length is dictated by the extent of the failure. Carefully soldering a loose connection – while ensuring that the main circuit board isn’t damaged in the process – can remedy contact failures.

:sterv:

and that was like $70 million ago

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Madcosby posted:

Wow this thread is garbo

Star marine got released. Deal with it

Also keep posting evidence of how retarded redditors are then including pics of goons arguing with people they think are retarded on their forum

lol

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I for one welcome Star Marine and the inevitable wealth of funny pics that'll accompany it

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Trains and caterpillars actually don't at all work the same way, don't try to detach a wagon from a caterpillar

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

peter gabriel posted:

I too am glad Star Marine got released without a single hold up or hitch

It truly signals a new era in Star Citizen's development, one that is absolutely not a dead end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
If they threw away Illfonic's work, does that mean Star Marine's just been in development for a bit over a year? And really, isn't it another full game like SQ42, PU, AC, ArcCorp and the Starmap?