Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

They shat up the pipelines

well they did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Fat Shat Sings posted:

i am become Marching Powder, Melter of Downs.

that's pretty good

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Daztek posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go1oFvxUoeI

Happy 1 Year Anniversay, Sarsapariller :3:

:toot:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AP posted:

Moma, want to try for a bonus round?

I say someone in the image above recently left CIG.

Is it the ugly guy?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
i'm sure star marine is awesome, can't wait for wtfosaurus to play it non stop with 15 other professional star marine players

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Of all the dumb, ridiculous CIG things Derek could choose to question :rolleyes:

I mean even if it's true it's doesn't matter. The question isn't whether CIG are able to construct a 8v8 fps game, the question is whether they can make any part of it enjoyable after working on it for years and touting it as "as good as anything out there"

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

Remember back in March when Chris said that Craig Grounsell was gonna get docking up and running in short order, and that it was a technically easy thing to do?

https://youtu.be/ciCNkp20O7w?t=10m48s

still no docking. wha happen?????

Maybe he broke his wrist

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I think it's a viable development strategy to have multiple current builds out to your nonprofessional test squad, maybe even one tailored build for each evocatus

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

I.N.R.I posted:

I'll read all these 10000 word long posts later. in the mean time, I want to remind everyone to call or visit their parents wherever possible. They raised you with love and care and would like to hear about the things you're getting up to in life

I called them and daddy said if I can't shut up about that space citizen thing I'm not welcome home for christmas

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Is there a Star Citizen Bitcoin mining ship yet

Just think about how they can leverage Cloud computing, subsumption and their procedural tech to make the ultimate bitcoin miner, also solving hashes could be a fun minigame

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
free Roberts

(dread pirate)

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
The idea that a developer would get the cameras running before having downloaded the client and tested that it works is just baffling, biggest :psyduck: moment in a while, at least for me

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Daztek posted:

Too late :smug:

I can't wait for the big reveal coming in E3 2016 GamesCom 2016 CitCon 2016 probably not E3 2017

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Trammel posted:

I don't think different builds are worth it. It'd be easier to have a single build with multiple feature toggles, and assign users to a bucket of features being tested (say based on the last two digits of their user-id). That way you don't have to worry about compiling xx different versions of the code, but you can still get metrics sent back associated with a user and the set of features being tested.

Identifying horrible leakers is a separate problem. I think Moma mentioned fractional differences in documentation, which might work, but doesn't scale well without automation. You could reasonably easily embed a user's unique ID into documentation during installation (say as variable amounts of whitespace), or perhaps request unique per-player patches during download, but it'd require effort and competence.

:rolleyes:

Look at this dude thinking he knows development better than Chris "Golden Hands" Roberts

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Why? They've repeatedly done live events with builds they were downloading while people were waiting outside. They even did a mini-documentary on how incompetent they were for CitCon this year.

The only thing that would surprise me at this point is if CIG did something right.

Well anytime they choose to do it yet again will baffle me just as much, it doesn't make any sense whatsoever

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Yeah, can we switch to camera 2? Thanks, great. So for beer, you gonna boil your malt and your water. Water water. About four gallons of- yeah, it'll be here in a second, just waiting for the aqueduct to get built

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Hamburger Test posted:

Latest work doesn't give much weight to that voice.

I'm the game designer who doesn't own an ethernet cable

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sandweed posted:

Gay people in video games trigger me so hard.

Not even gay people, just the possibility that somebody could play as a gay dude with the same name and in the same game as my perfectly straight Shepard is literally Hitler stuff

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

D_Smart posted:

Well at least Shitizens can't cry foul when the same overzealous mods they keep ripping on /r/DS pull the same stunt and ban others.

I just got banned for this post (probably deleted) which is quite puzzling to say the least.

Amazing how something like that can get you banned.

Nice photoshop Derpert, every1 knows you're buddies with the mods and did this for plausible deniability purposes/in collusion with big publishers

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TheAgent posted:

a good investment

I'm waiting for the IPO

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Well at least they tried. I didn't really expect to get anything - I know they were shooting for the moon, and really, I feel I got more than my money's worth just from participating in their community - getting a functional product would just have been a nice bonus!!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I once tried to unlock the romance options of a female and now I gotta walk around and tell everyone in my neighborhood about it

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Lots of bad pizza opinions in the thread

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

no_recall posted:

I'm just going to leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YESNObZJTgQ

Seems like everything Star Citizen isn't.

E:D is what Star Citizn't

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyWqCew1g-A

lovely crowdfunded closed development obvious hacks Warhorse Studios continue to show "progress" on their "game" that is currently in an "alpha state" where all of the intended games features are "implemented". Notable pieces of information include a dramatic three and a half hours of motion capture for a single player narrative game (it took them a whole month), numerous examples of where ambitious features had to be cut for the interest of gameplay, and artists being tasked with the alien concept of "optimization".

Clearly a scam.

Unlike CIG, those talentless hacks bought themselves a finished game engine so they're pretty much making a mod tbqh

(ask me which engine)

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Eldragon posted:

I'm referring to their alpha vertical slices, not the final "release" of the game. But my overall point is that Elite planned on generating thousands of star systems and adding gameplay and content later. CIG's plan was to start from a smaller set of systems then expand outward.

Which results in elite being massive game where you play for hours and never encounter another player, which IMHO is dumb; but some people like it that way.

Setting a game in space is pretty dumb imo, space is like 100% empty

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:catstare:

That just looks so loving bad.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sarsapariller posted:

Okay so I know it's already been said, but what the hell? Why are they doing catapult procedures for a hovering ship? There's no gravity, you idiots. There's no ocean. You do not need to reach minimum airspeed in order to avoid crashing- you can just float out of the bay. Also I like the part where they order the ship to throttle up while in a hover and somehow the magic air brakes keep it still on the deck.

There's atmosphere and gravity or those Poser models scurrying about in the nude wouldn't make sense

I just love that this is the loving footage they make for their backers, they must truly hate them

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Eldragon posted:

You must also really hate Star Wars.

I do

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

I.N.R.I posted:

Personally if I was going to hate something online for 8 years it would be something like the technology industry's reliance on child slave labour for coltan farming in the DRC or the many and storied transgressions of any one of countless Jewish political and financial institutions instead of a computer game. Anyway, I'd like to use this post to remind everyone to call or visit their parents where possible. maintaining strong family bonds is something that we can use to reaffirm our perspectives regarding what's really important to us all in our short lives

I don't hate Star Citizen, just ask my Star Citizen banker, my Star Citizen doctor, my Star Citizen lawyer... some of my very best friend is Star Citizen

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

darkarchon posted:

is star citizen good yet

It won't be good 'til you can sex the fempilot

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Just wanted to share my experience today. Just came back from USCIS Office. Got my Biometrics picture taken for US Citizenship wearing a Star Citizen polo shirt. Citizenship application picture on great style. Citizenship must be earned :-)

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TheLightPurges posted:

The way normal businesses deal with this is whoever has the goods gets the refund. Its why if someone buys me clothes that don't fit I can go to the store and get a refund for myself. If someone gifts me 100 dollar spaceship I should be able to refund it, not them.

p sure no digital stuff ever worked that way with refunds

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

"His rear end is like this big. And the flesh flaps - it's like a very fat, very greasy caterpillar"

aleksendr posted:

I can already pictre it : Ankward, fully clothed vibrating characters slowly merging into each other untill one spaghettify and get throw out the bedrrom at 200m/s.

I picture a lot of tickling, only this time Sandi's doing her RBF all the while

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sappo569 posted:

Normal companies will have a big disclaimer about using gift cards and when / how you can use them to purchase things

CiG just sells them and makes the rules up after the fact

I bet you :5bux: you can find a Citizen who will swear the cards refer to gifting money to CIG

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Erenthal posted:

Oh wow, a new concept ship????? My interest is certainly piqued!

e: loving el o el at the bar simply named "CONTENT" in their "road map". CONTENT.

Where did CODE go?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AP posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/relay_sc/v/106579662?t=6m40s

INN2 still pissed about not getting paid.

Those Bean Boozled beans are some real Stimpire poo poo imo

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

Never stop being smug.

Have u signed up to be a trailblazer yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo