Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mirificus posted:

3-way CrossFire

Yeah it's really weird how developers saw no reason to continue pouring effort into supporting multiple gpu setups as manufacturers made better and better single cards and as games moved increasingly to the single-card consoles.

Almost as if they were interested in staying in business rather than burning cash by pandering to the dozens of people who think the fact that they can barely run Crysis 3 on three loving gpus proves how great Crytek are at engines and games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I had an SLI set up about five years ago because when I got my computer it was cheaper to strap together two x60 whatevers than get a y70. It was a huge loving hassle and I ended up playing most games with it turned off simply because things would consistently go fucky any time I tried to get them to do anything other than dedicated gpu + dedicated physx.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

http://i.imgur.com/aYOrSvG.gifv

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Raskolnikov posted:

Westworld is a good tv show.
It's actually a loving amazing tv show :colbert:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Randarkman posted:

Being lazy here but how do they go about making that a TV show? I mean I've seen the movie West World, and from what I remember it was basically just a theme park with robotic people, there's West World where you go to saloons and gun down a robot version of the dude from Magnificent Seven, and then there's Medieval World which is endless feasting and court stuff and Roman world which is just orgies. Then the whole thing just goes haywire and the robots lose their inhibitions and start murdering people, particularly the West World gunslinger who's kind of like the Terminator of the movie. The heroes have to run away from him and try to fix things or atleast stop the robots.

How is that a series?
It's hard to explain how it is, but it uses the movie heritage very well and subverts it in a few places to good effect. It's just a really rich story about storytelling that manages to build a :lost: level of intricacy while having an actual endgame planned out.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

ManofManyAliases posted:

No. From what was told to me, evocati were testing different builds. In a day, they send out multiple builds. Some are more focused on flight dynamics while others on FPS gameplay. The evocati have their own chat, discord, ptu forums, etc. They're all in one test group, but testing different things. The results are tabulated and they'll use those to streamline the builds so that the can get it out to PTU quicker.
How much money do you lose to shell-game shysters on the regular?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

lol at anyone who is such a sperg they feel the need to forum police derek smart.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

redwalrus posted:

did someone in this forum make this, or is this actually real?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOBXuCYB4jQ
It's really real. It's also really good and a little bit sad.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Fat Shat Sings posted:

when i said the thread needed 60,000 posts about a worthless semantics argument that literally nobody could give a gently caress about i was being sarcastic

Are you using literally literally or figuratively?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Fat Shat Sings posted:

When you say "You" are you referring to my forums name or me as a person? Because *I* never said literally. Let's fight about the technicalities of this for the next 50 pages accomplishing and resolving nothing.
I disagree that we should spend the next 50 pages arguing about that rather than whether or not it is actually possible to accomplish or resolve anything truly in this temporal chaos that we exist within.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

hey something awful, eventually put this in your poorly working archives :fuckthis:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I'm the completely simulated physics of the ship engines.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

MedicineHut posted:

Lol at MoMA/Toast suggesting CIG is managing multiple Evocati test builds when they can't still even make a decent incremental patcher. Just loving lol. Hope the rest of his info is not based on the same poo poo source.
The very fact that they can't manage an incremental patcher is exactly why they could easily manage distributing muliple Evocati test builds - all you'd do is change what launcher build the Evocati invites point to, which itself would be built to point to an entirely different set of files. If they had a decent patch system then they'd be using the same launcher between builds which would need to know what version of what file you needed for which build, but this way you just change the launcher they're installing and bang, they're all running entirely different builds stored separately from each other on the servers.

The idea that there's any value at all to producing multiple alpha builds across multiple tiers of alpha testers under NDAs other than being able to obfuscate how much progress is being made is what's laughable.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

starkebn posted:

yeah, I can't see any reason to have multiple builds. Why not just say "John, Peter and Ahmed - you test FPS, everyone just fly ships"
Oh sure, ban the arab from flying.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Personally I'm a big fan of how every photo of development happening on a computer that's come out since we made fun of crunch-time working outside of hours has carefully cropped the lower right of the display out.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

moveable shape posted:

Everybody stop talking about Star Marine or evocatti patch bullshit and start taking about how much loving money has been wasted producing this embarrassment. Where the gently caress did the money go? Where did it come from? Holy poo poo
Cotton Eye Joe.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

TheAgent posted:

two hot girls going at it: loving amazing

two hot guys going at it: loving disgusting

p much accurate more or less for the last 10,000 years
It's really only been in the last 100 years that it's changed from

two hot girls going at it: what the gently caress are you talking about how do girls have sex with each other they don't even have dicks you idiot

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

TheAgent posted:

lesbians have a 2700 year old island named after them, they gotta be doing something right
Lesbians are named after the island because it was the birthplace of the poet Sappho, the earliest recorded mentions of which are slut-shaming her for boning too many guys, progressing into decrying her having a sexual affection for women as slander, all the way up into last century where scholars were still trying to put forward ideas on how (what survives of) her poetry can be read in a totally heterosexual manner.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The Titanic posted:

This is true though. It's in our book. A big two page spread that unfolds. :monocle:
should've been a pop-up book

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Klyith posted:

He's well known to be a complete grump. "Anime is trash" - H. Miyazaki
While that's not the real quote I'm not sure I understand how being right makes you a grump??

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The entire To Be Or Not To Be speech from Hamlet, but at the end he says "Not to be" and kills himself.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
the something awfuls of outrageous opinion
or to take arms against a smart of troubles

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's a prequel to the Matrix where the protagonist helps the machines kidnap people to be put into the first batch of battery wank pods.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The Life and Opinions of SimYouLater, Redditor.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Are you there God? It's me, SimYouLater, with some information from Wikipedia about the High Middle Ages.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Please stop depressing me by posting this awful prose.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Mirificus posted:

"SimYouLater posted:

All my stories will be written ... to the best of my ability
That's the problem!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

80% technical waffle, 15% ideas, 5% delivery.

Get this man $150 million in crowdfunds, stat.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

beep boop what is nonviolent crime asks the reddit robot

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Star Citizen was released.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

TheAgent posted:

gently caress me star trek used that as well didn't it

didn't loving obrien or whatever have a vr prison thing happen to him
The doctor in next generation got put into a reality bubble in which characters slowly disappeared until she was the only one left and then the real Enterprise crew rescued her.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

oh wait, I just remembered the vr prison. hahaha jesus christ it was literally a virtual prison too.

From memory the episode was less about how cool that idea was and more about how completely hosed up Obrien got from the experience of living several decades in a poo poo-house prison where he murdered his only friend that didn't even exist.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Astroniomix posted:

Sort of, O'brien's thing was they gave him the memories of having been in prison for 20 years. Less VR and more along the lines of Total Recall.
I remember that not being the case being a key part of the episode so I looked it up and it's specifically stated in the episode that it was a real experience - although completely fake - and not implanted memories.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Goobs posted:

thread always does a 360 back to dicks at least once a day.
some might say the thread is 100% dicks 24/7

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Really Sandi is the touchable one.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Das Butterbrot posted:

instead it has valve backing it. you know, a company that actually makes games and owns the biggest digital download platform for games.
knife brony vs klan pepe

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

ArfJason posted:

Alright.
It's cool that av purchases can't be traced thanks to these hack forums code, which allowed whoever found that personal site of mine (which has no links to my username or any of my handles btw, so the only way to find it is to know my real name) to buy IRL pictures of me as an avatar.
You loving weirdos win.
It's been bothering me for a week or so, but are you the rfjason that was around in 2005 when I tricked a whole bunch of livejournal users into posting their real names and addresses just to prove me wrong? Am I Jack Napier to your anti-doxxing Batman?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Such a good bad movie.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Propagandist posted:

Hey thread whats up how are you

I would like someone with a modicum of knowledge/experience in business things to explain to me the possible reasons you might want to have 15 separate companies.

Because I don't know about those kinds of things and I am legit curious.

Curious, but not obsessive, dont call FYAD on me.

Okay maybe a little obsessive.
Limiting of liabilities so that your assets are protected and minimising corporate taxes are the main reasons you would structure a company into multiples, but 15 is almost surely overkill unless you're explicitly just moving cups around to distract people while you slip the ball into your sleeve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Ortwin is a Hollywood lawyer, I bet this stuff is pretty common in the sickening and heartbreaking entertainment industry
Making movies unprofitable is basically a Hollywood accountant's job.