Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

This is my dream space sim because I want to write the name of my target on a bullet before loading it into my gun and showing them the inevitable consequences of space piracy

"It took a long time to find you" said Ursine Catastrophe, plucking a high fidelity bullet from his pocket and loading it carefully into the chamber. With a click the round was loaded into position at a smooth 10 fps.

"Almost as long as it took to etch this just for you. Piracy always exacts a price. Farewell, xXx_420b0nerHitl3r_xXx."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I know "the best thing about SC is this thread" has been stated before but jesus christ :five:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Chalks posted:

You only do work when things need to be done, and planning never needs to be done.

We call this "Business Agile", in which you ignore almost all of the actual Agile concept and mainly focus solely on the idea that no planning needs to be done and any given manager can have his whims realized without worrying about accountability. It sounds like a perfect fit for Chris.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

trucutru posted:

And this almost always has to do with ships (not with the game itself, the patches, or any promises outside ships).

The ships, or more accurately LTI attached to said ships, represent their superiority through faith. They get to ride around in the grandest of space chariots, immune to attack by the goon peasantry, because they were the true believers who backed early and often. It doesn't matter if the game releases on <insert date here> or what state it's in currently - they are part of the inner circle and will reap the rewards come judgement day. No hilarious ramps or unimplemented ships or clipping through floors can deny this fact. No one cares about the FPS or any other aspect because there is no money faith involved.

CIG has now asked what you did for them lately. New money can have LTI. Goons could have LTI. This is how you turn a $20k fleet made of dreams into a pile of worthless jpegs.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I think I last heard about "gamer ADHD" from the true believers in Elite. The real gamers - the ones companies should build content for - are the ones who replace their lives with the video game and compulsively play it regardless of enjoyment. All the nice pictures of reddit people defending tedium and Chris' stated No Fun vision would be right at home in the Elite forums.

The Titanic posted:

So go play Elite. :)

Buy Elite on deep cut sale and marvel at the great flight model and fun minutia of takeoffs/landings/other things that are interesting the first dozen times. The only things beyond that are headcannon fanfiction and an endless grind.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Agony Aunt posted:

But i play ED and enjoy it... does that mean i'm not a real gamer? :O

I bet if I checked your posts I'd see you playing other games at some point. Typical ADHD kid. You probably actually made money in Elite at some point, which is a verified bug and only terrible people exploit it.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I was waiting for the punchline and while I was begging the whole time for it to be Crobberts' head, this is still :five:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

XK posted:

Why the gently caress did they choose shale for one of their first mining resources?

How quickly you have forgotten...

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Edit: Yikes, wrong thread :v:

Mailer fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 25, 2018

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I'm on the front lines of bashing the now-standard twitch streamer scarecam but that was just beautiful. Hearing about the fidelitious amazing planet of handcraftedness while his face contorts in frustration clicking frantically on a loving door is amazing. I know the cult comparison comes up a lot but hearing that calm voice reassuring this guy that the broken pile of poo poo he's witnessing is actually a good thing is too on the nose.

TheAgent posted:

poo poo in two months we get read dead redemption 2, a game that was conceptualized, built and released in less time than star citizen

Crobberts would have delivered those horse balls in far greater fidelity.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

^^^ Edit: I like this. I like the idea that it'll become part of the conman lexicon.

"See, Bob, we got ourselves a foolproof plan here. We're gonna pull a Star Citizen. The rubes will never suspect it."

Hobold posted:

These people really are starting to act like this is going to become Oasis from Ready Player One.

I mean, ignoring logic and reality, why not? It's exactly what is sold to them. In some freakish alternate dimension where every muttering of the crobbler inexplicably becomes reality this game would be every space-related fantasy you could possibly imagine.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 28, 2018

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Backers will need NPC friends because all the nonbelievers who didn't back SC will be working as hired help and no citizen would associate with the commoners.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Is he melting down? I thought he was just trying some dumb thing where he attempts to provoke people into breaking some rule because he believes the reddit mods are robots incapable of divining intent and will support his rule lawyering over banning him to get rid of the problem.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

The things that cause reddit meltdowns are amazing when you consider how insignificant they are compared to the grand con. $700 for jpegs is fine but $20 for a virtual ticket to the thing you've banked your life on? That's terrible!

I eagerly await the whole rage->cooldown->purge cycle that someone (probably gorf) wrote about back during the LTI meltdown. It's these plot arcs that make SC the best game.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Every space game from now on is legally required to dunk on SC somehow.

bandaid.friend posted:

Looking forward to outlaw but I wonder why they dropped the broadside combat. Privateer style games are all so similar to each other. At least the style's still there

Ignoring the tweets/emails/whatever they got wanting a more traditional spaceflight model, I'd like to think there just wasn't much more to do. You can graft on some new weapons and a new story and make it RG 1.5... or you can keep the style and ditch the perspective. For all the cool space games out there RGO is speaking to an untapped niche for people who want to shoot things in space but not manage all the minutia.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Mne nravitsya posted:

lifesize inflatable sex toy goats

Love Ewes are still the favorite gift-giving idea of douchebags in college.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

G0RF posted:

Quoting myself to make sure this latest addition doesn’t get missed.

Design your custom spaceship, get one printed and mailed to you.

drat they’re just killing it with all these bells and whistles!

RG triggered a space cowboy itch I thought had died with Privateer and this... is pretty much exactly what I want. The only thing I don't immediately love is not going warp speed. I know autopilot is objectively better from a wasting-the-player's-time perspective but I've got a boner for hyperspace. The fact that I don't get to see stars turning into lines or whatever is literally my only nitpick.

Jesus christ how did it take so long to fill this niche? Even if SC wasn't the incredible meta dumpster fire it is, there are so many space games and none of these space games.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Double Damage have secret goon agents that monitor this thread. That's how they figured out they needed to include rubbing.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

You see, memory and disk i/o don't matter because The Cloud. It works by *waves hands*

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Agony Aunt posted:

And why does he list ED players as people who shouldn't respond. There are some ED players who still hold out hope for SC.

If you ever played E:D, you're one of them. You shied away from the glorious vision and sullied yourself with the nonbelievers. May your life forever be lacking fidelity, heretic.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Sillybones posted:

Jesus loving christ. The game is really that horrible? It reads like a parody.

This is why it's too difficult to explain to people on the outside that this is a dumpster fire with less functional "game" than some 30-minute baby's first flash coding attempt thing on Newgrounds. It all sounds like hyperbole because there's no way anyone else would unleash this sort of nightmare while sitting on a funding figure quickly approaching 200 million dollars. If you manage to get through to them the exact state of things then they say "wow, what a scam" but are still not quite grasping that it's also a cult and people keep dropping $27k on jpegs even with all the knowledge of the last eight years. If Crobberts has done one thing on a grand, unprecedented scale it's creating a situation where it's too difficult to explain how lovely it is.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Scruffpuff posted:

We joke about autism in this thread ("autism chariots" etc.) but in reality of course it's a real condition and it's not necessarily funny.

I've always felt the joking has been on the side of excuses for the creepy/greybeard opinions. More making fun of people who self-diagnose aspergers to explain why they need hyper-realistic feet or six inputs to turn a doorknob and less making fun of people who suffer from a condition they can't control.

I don't think the crobbler necessarily suffers from some sort of disorder that demands he has complete control. I think he wants to be the auteur that defines a genre. He wants to be a Kubrick, who's missteps are forgiven due to his genius vision, but he has neither the vision nor the skill to pull it off. He mistakes making the pixel green with creative vision just like any other rear end in a top hat who considers himself a Hollywood director without actually producing anything of value. SC isn't a scam and his constant exploitation to fill the coffers will be forgiven if only he had more time and fidelity.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I genuinely think that might be Starfield. At least in single player.

I'm really trying not to get my hopes up, here. It's obviously years out and could be a space vending machine simulator after it's been refactored a few dozen times, but giant open voids are kind of Bethesda's jam and if anyone has the combination of budget and staff to pull it off it's them. Realistically... nah. You'll get the equivalent of Mass Effect where it's Skyrim-in-space on the ground and a bunch of space transitional screens as the only flight component.

quote:

Personally I just want a great version of Privateer.

Next year, for 30 bucks, you can live your dream!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Do not seek a job in game development unless you want to destroy your life to get a marginal metacritic uptick that nets someone above you a bonus. I doubt the people who survive the initial couple of weeks at CIG are the rational ones. What's left are lifers who will go down with the company.

There is a more pressing issue, though: we need a gif of crobbear melting down PW style.

his nibs posted:

I don't even like anime

Got you covered.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Blue On Blue posted:

Chris only has the rear end in a top hat part down pat. And a black turtle neck.

People holding up Jobs as a jesus figure says more about average computer competency and human psychology/marketing than anything Apple tech did, but at least Apple was firmly in the right market. Chris isn't in the games business. He's a Hollywood auteur. You just don't know it yet because his star-studded, mocapped Squad 42 cinematic experience has not yet been released. Once that's done studios will be pitching to him and he will finally validate his big movie director lifestyle. The weird space MMO his underlings keep talking about doesn't even register.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

These are great. Airquotes is the perfect gif, for "development" or "absolve" or anything. I was thinking a Sandi image in the cut-off side picture, with "Married" as a caption, but I lack the photoshop skills. :/

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Sarsapariller posted:

Fire your loving UI team, Jesus.

The last time they tried that the Senior Design Lead went home in tears and Chris got a very angry call from his mom.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

If you let a single citizen escape the omnipresent Goon Refundian Brigade then you've clearly lost faith in Supreme Leader Smart. You'll never be able to truly rub again.

BluesShaman posted:

FFX could be completed without any grinding really. It wasn't a difficult game.

FFX was the first one in my (admittedly, full of holes) memory that really went all in on the idea that people were just going to use the internet for secrets. Instead of obscure item placement or whatever it was time for bullshit "challenges" like the goddamn chocobo race and the soul-crushing slog of blitzball. Not strictly required, but those were still very lovely. Also required if you wanted to beat the bosses not included in the Freedom Land release, though I guess the remakes would have added them in.

Now you've made me remember that the FF7 Remake has the same chance of being a released, good game as SC and I'm sad.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Scruffpuff posted:

two solid gold bits of 90s nostalgic songwriting

These were wonderful.

Deadguy2322 posted:

If the world was a just place, said thing would be for all existing copies to self-destruct and the song to be wiped from the memories of all humans and animals, and the band to have their genitals fed to Ben Lesnick.

You just don't get 90s song development.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Morphix posted:

i gave read deads another try and got a few missions into chapter 2

rdr derail!

I made it to Chapter 3 but I honestly have trouble getting up the desire to play more. Someone early on in the RDR2 thread mentioned how "ambitious" this game is and I got an immediate "hurr hurr like Store Citizer" chuckle, but when I actually thought about it there are some parallels. I'm obviously not going to equate the two because for whatever faults and frustrations RDR2 has it's still inherently a released game that is good. One of my mental problems is I like looking at things and wonder how they came up with the final result and RDR2 broke my brain.

Your repeater needs to have you press the trigger a second time to eject the spent shell for extra fidelity. It's bad to be too fat but also too thin and you're probably too thin because you need to eat once every 24 minutes or something and you can't fix it by stuffing your face all at once because that wouldn't be realistic. You need peace and quiet to hunt legendary game, but that immediately gets interrupted if some bounty hunter spawns within a mile of you. The controls try to fit in tons of functionality by having your buttons swap around to different things. There's a whole lot of rules to people witnessing crimes and reporting you. People will treat being knocked over like an assault.

To bring it back to SC - Any of those things, at some point to someone, seemed like a cool idea. The problem is they're all mashed into the game, break frequently in various different ways, and in some cases shortcuts were taken that become blatantly obvious to the player. When one of these issues kicks you in the dick for the fifth time that play session it's very easy to imagine some R* equivalent to Crobbler telling a lone QA peon that they will NOT be changing that thing because FIDELITY.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Bofast posted:

Instead of death by a thousand cuts... near death by a thousand things that should have been cut but were not?

Well it made a bajillion dollars so death is probably the wrong call. If you're not a psychotic who's interested in design decisions then you just ignore the dumb controls or whatever and continuing yeehawing. Stuffing so many features into the game invariably led to more bugs, but even if everything was operating correctly it's still a mountain of minutia. When someone mentions the latest fidelitious flavor of the month we all laugh, but RDR2 is a good example of what happens when you say yes to every weird little hyperfocused thing and ignore whether or not it's fun/interesting. The only difference is R* isn't a hilarious scam so all those wonky design decisions just become annoying blips in a generally enjoyable game.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Beet Wagon posted:

e: also, while I too like putting on a podcast and chilling out to space jumps in Elite, I feel like "you have to have netflix/ a huge backlog of Citations Needed for this to be fun" is not a real high standard to set for the BDSSE

It's not really a surprise that the one facet that citizens want to emulate from E:D isn't the stellar flight model, it's the soul-crushing turboautist immersive travel times. Being able to buy your way into less tedium is just par for the course at this point.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

The Titanic posted:

Is X4 the great evil Star Citizen must defeat now, or is it still the old game Elite: Dangerous?

I kinda want to like X4 but even after Elite and playing Paradox games I'm kind of intimidated away from playing it by ALL THE THINGS being presented. RGO is easily a day one purchase because it's a legit Privateer successor but X4 feels like something where 1000 hours is "a game".

Since it effectively does the things SC promises it will be attacked on fidelity, not being an MMO, and every possible transgression (real or imagined) made previously by X games.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Sarsapariller posted:

<suffering so we don't have to>

Thanks again for these. Especially for people relatively new to the spectacle (like me) it's amazing to hear about how insane it was even from the early days.

Rugganovich posted:

The hardest thing for 'rational' people is to understand how an addictive personality doesn't understand they have a problem. Hence the 'rock bottom' part.

That's kind of the biggest problem (and also my source of morbid fascination) with this scenario. If you have an addict who spends the bulk of his time talking in echo chambers with other addicts about how great their addiction is then it's going to be impossible to pull him out. Hitting bottom with no access back into the community might be the only thing that lets him break out. :/

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Guys, I did it! Thanks to some insane switches they bought that apparently now require purchasing Optane drives (RSI/SC branded, btw) I now have codes for TWO Sabre Ravens. I have two ships! That don't exist! In a game that doesn't exist! This is the proud moment of a true Citizen.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

big nipples big life posted:

Would ranch dressinging out your car be putting a midwestern style on it?

Ya'll got a Type B sticker on that Civic because that thing is Baconnaised out.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

He paid his taxes on time. He brought us joy and laughter on reddit. Sure, he may have spent money on Star Citizen, and he only inspired me enough to halfass a google image search, but please people...

Agony Aunt posted:

They really need to stop copying ED.

Clearly Elite knew that they couldn't compete with the BDSSE and decided to make their mining worthless just to copy Roberts!

A lot of thought over RGO, X4, and laughing at SC in the last month or so has brought me to the conclusion that there is a very specific reason people romanticize Privateer (and WC, to a lesser extent) - it's the last time someone made a space game that didn't involve mining and other tedium. SC itself is even weirder because you've got the same sort of brown sea graybeards that Elite has recalling the glory days of space combat games while simultaneously demanding high fidelity space toilets that require them to poo poo in real time.

Edit: Oh poo poo, the taxman cometh. Here is our very good girl.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Dec 18, 2018

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Jokes on him - that horse was an empress. A girl managed to rule Rome. Also as much poo poo as I gave it Monster Hunter World is easily goty 2018 and I will fight you.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

So history and the credits and The Crobbler himself all say the same thing about Freelancer but Shitizens insist it was he, and not the actual credited people, who did all the things in Freelancer. drat, goons... how far back were you guys running deep state false flag ops?!? I bet this conspiracy goes all the way to Derek!

What phase is it in a cult where the indoctrinated are so devout in their worship of the leader that even the words of the leader himself cannot dissuade them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Sarsapariller posted:

MoMa continue buying more, we need the biggest possible fleet when the Verse comes to glorious fruition in TYOOL 2022

It doesn't have to be MoMa, but one of you needs to heavily invest. I need someone to hire me to mop the floors of their flagship when the BDSSE comes out in Q2 2020 and I quit my job because SC is life.

...is what I would say, but I have a fleet of Sabre Ravens. :smugdog:

Agony Aunt posted:

He never changes. Even from the start of the campaign with saving PC gaming, when it didn't need saving, and it still doesn't need saving, and he still hasn't released a product.

PCMR is the best possible segment for funding the game. A group of people for whom buy-in determines status and fidelity is paramount. It doesn't matter if they get mad, because that's old money, but they'll be the most glorious meltdowns when Lord Crobberts betrays them.