Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I'm sure they called it "needless" because these complex transactions don't serve any strictly necessary business purpose. There's 4 reasons I can think of to do this poo poo: masking accounting irregularities, evading taxes, shielding assets from liabilities, and artificially inflating liquidity ratios.

Funny, I said similar in my recent scoop post

http://dereksmart.com/forums/topic/sc-scoop/#post-5064

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sickening posted:

The fact that Derek decided to make his own forum because he can't handle the moderation here will never stop being funny.

The jokes on you. I always had a forum there; except that it was a Wordpress plugin. I just installed a standalone one instead.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

shrach posted:

I'm not sure where you are getting those 75% figures from. You should check the links. Foundry 42 Ltd and Roberts Space Industries UK Ltd are both owned 100% by Cloud Imperium Games UK Ltd. RSI UK Ltd only has one share in issue for example.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08882924/persons-with-significant-control

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08703814/persons-with-significant-control

quote:

I should have been clearer. It's needless to move the money around like this from a neutral or professional point of view. I'm sure there are reasons they WANT to do it this way but it's needless and it's going to end up looking dodgy...especially if there is any "friction" in the money movement. I also think this needless separation of companies is one of the reasons that Foundry 42 Ltd should not be legally entitled to the UK video games tax credit but that's for another day.

It's not supposed to make sense. Just go with it.

quote:

Here is something I am trying to get my head around, because it's going to be the correct way to show it: When the group accounts are filed I'm expecting to see the bottom line figure of ~£15m received for pledges effectively counted twice.

They can't do that, without it reflecting on the books of both IN/OUT entities. Then it becomes a problem. And seeing as they have chartered accountants - third parties - it's highly unlikely that they are inclined to file it improperly.

quote:

With £30m income (£15m in RSI from customers + £15m in CIG UK received from the USA group) and £30m expenses (£15m in RSI to USA group + £15m in F42 for running costs). The £15m income in F42 is netted off with the corresponding expense in CIG UK to prevent them being counted twice as inter-group transactions and this is correct. You can't net off the transactions between the two UK companies and any US companies though because they are not part of the same group. While it doesn't necessarily make a profit difference yet, it does effectively double most of the numbers. It's somehow apt to this project I think. Bookkeeping schmeg.

Yes. That's why they are not likely to show it twice. So it's going to be interesting to see how they show it.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Eldragon posted:

By creating the secret "Avocadi" (or whatever they are called) testers CIG simultaneously:

1- creates the illusion of progress while hiding all the problems under an NDA.
2- Shame all the backers who are not in the secret group, encouraging many to kiss rear end even harder in the hopes that they can get in some day.
3- Create divides among the community between those who are "in the know" and those that are not, e.g. arguments over leaks.

An actual open development game would just create vertical slices of product that focus on stability over features and roll them out as they are ready. None of this big release that needs 4+ months of testing bullshit.

Yeah. And furthermore.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheAgent posted:

quote:
The next-gen development consoles are impressive enough to work with our high standards, but I want to say this: nothing is being taken away here. The net benefit of releasing Star Citizen and Squadron 42 on the future XBOX and PlayStation consoles far outweighs the bad. It allows us a bare minimum overhead that expands to nearly limitless levels on PC.

This was always a PC game first but not only a PC game. Our scope and effort always included other ways to bring in revenue to make the Best drat Space Sim Ever, to bring you and everyone that believes in the project every hope, dream and feature possible.

Myself and everyone here stands by that, just as we hope you continue to stand by us.

You see, this is why Shitizens aren't taking us seriously anymore. This poo poo ain't funny, man.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

shrach posted:

I'm not sure where you are getting those 75% figures from. You should check the links. Foundry 42 Ltd and Roberts Space Industries UK Ltd are both owned 100% by Cloud Imperium Games UK Ltd. RSI UK Ltd only has one share in issue for example.

fuctifino pointed (on my Discord) out that CIG (UK) - the parent company - actually now owns 100% (not 75% as I posted earlier) of both F42 (UK) and RSI (UK). The filing is buried in the 10/15 and 10/13 filings for both companies.

Which means that, just as I had posted awhile back, the execs had sold back their shares to the company, thus taking out a significant amount of wealth from the project. I wrote about this back in my July 2016 blog:

quote:

There are so many holes in this whole thing that the minute I even make public everything I know, I would no doubt have pretty much impeded on-going investigations. So we wait. But while we’re waiting, here’s a nugget. Please ask them if it’s true that: after they founded a studio (Foundry42-UK) to help develop this game, and Chris pulled in his brother and childhood friends in from another company to head it, that less than two years later, another subsidiary (associated with the project) then turned around and bought the company back from those very people. Thus taking out a significant amount of wealth out of the project and putting it into the pockets of those very friends and family. While still paying his brother Erin, what amounts to almost $250K in yearly salary; not including benefits or bonuses – which aren’t disclosed. Aside from this being reported to be almost 3x what he was making at his previous company, it’s also 2x the average for a director in the Manchester region. And in case you forgot, this is a crowd-funded project.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

shrach posted:

Yeah the control is "75% or more". In both those cases it is 100% which is more (To confirm, you can check the annual return filings at the same links).

I think that it's correct to. You have to consider these as the separate legal identities that they are. If you have a number of businesses buying and selling to each other, you wouldn't net any transactions off. The UK parent company (as part of the consolidated accounts) should disclose them as related party transactions though.

I did get a D grade in German at GCSE which I think fails me on both counts.

We'll see how much they paid for the company when they file the parent company accounts. The benefits are included in the accounts, though.

I doubt there are any company cars and such in the UK companies though. That would be an American thing, it's very rare to see in a UK company these days. The correct way to handle travel is for a director to own the car personally and then charge the company per mile used. Check out P11D benefits if you are interested (you're not).

It's curious to me that they filed for the subsidiaries, but not the parent company. Which to me means that they're still pissing around with the numbers, since they have to be reflective of the US parent numbers, seeing as that's the primary and sole source of the income.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/809099349628227584

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Looks like I'm getting it all back.

It's a trap! Don't fall for it! They want you to buy back in!! :grin:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Samizdata posted:

And I hate to toot my own horn, but I can't leave this stuff unarchived.

S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-SELF-OWNED! FATALITY!

Dat Burn.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Called it. All of it. Like since the minute they "released" it.

Where's MoMa? Or is he off enjoying his 12x12 sessions of SM? :grin:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/809457050728198144

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
This is the most hilarious thing to me. So the other day I received a Quora notification about a Star Citizen question someone wanted me to answer. So I answered it. I even tweeted about it. Yet somehow, the tribe on /r/ds are having a fit trying to understand why I would write anything "positive" about the project. That just goes to show how far off left field they are, whereby they can't reconcile the fact that someone can still be truthful and objective, while at the same time having a dissenting opinion. Yet they wonder why we make fun of them incessantly. It beggars belief.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/809473162513629184

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 15, 2016

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Chalks posted:

Hey Derek, you should fix the meta description tags on your site so the preview text for these links isn't so silly.

I know, it's hilarious. I keep forgetting to fix that. :D

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

Derek will never be able to top the Library of Babel troll honestly. That set the gold standard in making the thread melt down.

Yeah; that one was epic :grin:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Galarox posted:

Parpa Claus

:five::five::five::five:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

2.6 doesn't have to be good to come out. The backers clearly don't care about quality, they care about seeing a number go up.

I was looking for that schedule of theirs and couldn't find it, but instead I found something better. Remember that picture of CR in a space suit that used to be on that page? I didn't realize they were so lazy in replacing it that they didn't even bother to change the flesh tone around his neck. I guess it really does model the game.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

CIG update. Disco Lando has been told to log in to the forums.

Probably because....:grin:

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/809533111553892352

Scruffpuff posted:

My guess is that he's not starting a dialogue - he's getting his predictions out there, to the public, with timestamps, because when this collapses and all the poo poo floats to the surface, he'll have a huge archive of material that can be cross-referenced with the newly surfaced facts. They'll either match up with what he's been saying all along, or not. Either way it goes it'll be funny as poo poo, but for very different reasons.

Busted :vince:

Shitizens still don't get how my plan works; even though I tend to use my social media posts as cited links in my blogs and statements. It's uncanny to me that people can be so dumb as to ignore the obvious. Kinda like my Quora response to Star Citizen (over 1300 views to date) which has them in knots over on /r/ds because somehow they can't reconcile why I would even respond, let alone in the manner that I did. Because somehow, they are of the opinion that I want to turn people away from the project, watch it burn etc, this despite the fact that since it's pure and utter shite, my sole purpose is to have people try it for themselves, see that I'm right, then either run far away, or tell their friends to get a refund or run away. And those who do try and like it enough to spend money on it, will be part of the rage machine down the road when the collapse comes.

They're clueless.

TheAgent posted:

yea, most of them are on sa or have seen Derek's Twitter

I've turned down several requests to talk to gaming sites because gently caress me if I'm going to name names and ruin careers over klobbers $140m gently caress up

That's what some of these Shitizen clowns don't get. NONE of us are out to hurt anyone. I don't know about about other leakers, by my sole purpose, since day one, has always been about accountability. Which is why my target remains the project and those heading it. Like anyone is going to risk ruining someone's job and/or livelihood just to score points and lols against some inconsequential rear end-clowns on the Internet. At the end of the day, if CIG sees something that's false, the onus is on them to take the necessary action and prove it to be false. It really is that simple. It's not like they can't afford the legal bills.

Samizdata posted:

Hey, Derek, will you please stop telling people I am one of your alts, already? This is getting really stale.

:grin: They won't care, everyone is my alt.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

1, They're still a couple big blockers that are not ready for prime-time. There's some sort of new system in place that checks obstructions in real-time and relays that to the radar. However, this is a glitch that is bogging-down some clients. I don't expect a live release (or PTU) tomorrow.
2. Ship sale with a possible new concept.
3. Clip from SQ42 demo that was previously unseen.
4. Jared WILL be there.
5. Some technical speak involving the new coding (such as obstruction/radar link) and new flight models that will be released with 2.6

Lame predictions you have there. Playing it safe eh?

My 5 predictions:

1. croberts will recite, then write a cringe-worthy missive asking for money, making excuses, making new promises for 2017
  2. 2.6 will be delayed; and if they are smart, pushed into 2017. the schedule will be updated to reflect this
  3. they will play 2.6 Star Marine on local LAN because doing it across the internet - the environment it was designed for - is shite
  4. no meaningful SQ42 reveal - of any kind
  5. no meaningful 3.0 reveal - of any kind

BOMBSHELL BONUS: They won't mention anything about i) no money to finish the game ii) on-going Federal investigations, iii) the fact that quite a few key team members have either recently left or have put in their notice (Dec being their exit month) to leave, iv) they are going to be down-sizing the studios in 2017

ps:

As of Dec 16th, with 2.6 still MIA and 3.0 still a pipe dream, these are the major releases this year since 2.0

v2.0 (patch notes), Dec 12, 2015
v2.1.0, Jan 15, 2016
v2.2.0, March 4, 2016
v2.3.0, March 26, 2016
v2.4.0, June 9, 2016
v2.5.0, Aug 25, 2016

And during this period, these are ALL the Star Marine updates. Yet, here we are, over a year later, and they still can't get it working.

AUGUST 22ND 2015
AUGUST 29TH 2015
SEPTEMBER 19TH 2015
OCTOBER 23RD 2015

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 16, 2016

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Look! the writer points to the dev's LinkedIn profile. Doxxed!!

http://www.recode.net/2016/12/14/13957478/magic-leap-andy-fouche-andy-rubin

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-12-15-magic-leap-pr-chief-follows-cmo-to-the-exit-door

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

1, They're still a couple big blockers that are not ready for prime-time. There's some sort of new system in place that checks obstructions in real-time and relays that to the radar. However, this is a glitch that is bogging-down some clients. I don't expect a live release (or PTU) tomorrow.
4. Jared WILL be there.
5. Some technical speak involving the new coding (such as obstruction/radar link) and new flight models that will be released with 2.6

1. not a valid prediction. we already knew this
  2. not a valid prediction. this was a given
  3. fail
  4. not a valid prediction. this was a given
  5. fail

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D_Smart posted:

My 5 predictions:

1. croberts will recite, then write a cringe-worthy missive asking for money, making excuses, making new promises for 2017
    CALLED IT! // see latest newsletter
  2. 2.6 will be delayed; and if they are smart, pushed into 2017. the schedule will be updated to reflect this CALLED IT!
  3. they will play 2.6 Star Marine on local LAN because doing it across the internet - the environment it was designed for - is shite it was 8v8 (the max before CE3 falls over) over the Internet. so much for 12v12 <--- lol @ MoMa
  4. no meaningful SQ42 reveal - of any kind CALLED IT!
  5. no meaningful 3.0 reveal - of any kind CALLED IT!

BOMBSHELL BONUS: They won't mention anything about i) no money to finish the game ii) on-going Federal investigations, iii) the fact that quite a few key team members have either recently left or have put in their notice (Dec being their exit month) to leave, iv) they are going to be down-sizing the studios in 2017

ps:

As of Dec 16th, with 2.6 still MIA and 3.0 still a pipe dream, these are the major releases this year since 2.0

v2.1.0, Jan 15, 2016
v2.2.0, March 4, 2016
v2.3.0, March 26, 2016
v2.4.0, June 9, 2016
v2.5.0, Aug 25, 2016

And during this period, these are ALL the Star Marine updates. Yet, here we are, over a year later, and they still can't get it working.

AUGUST 22ND 2015
AUGUST 29TH 2015
SEPTEMBER 19TH 2015
OCTOBER 23RD 2015

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 16, 2016

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Backers will never know

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Foundry42's Phil Mellor stomping on equipment bought and paid for by backers

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 17, 2016

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Here's the diff for the 2.6 status change, showing what they've removed in order to release it

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

nawledgelambo posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5irwlv/evocati_26_screenshot_and_livestream_restrictions/

2.6 going to PTU now.

I can only imagine crobbers said, "Well gently caress it! It can't get any worse at this point!! Send it to the PTU!"

Yes. I called it. That's precisely what my sources told me; in addition to no SQ42, no 3.0, major studio downsizing, key people on their way out etc

quote:

D_Smart posted:

My 5 predictions:

CALLED IT! // see latest newsletter
  2. 2.6 will be delayed; and if they are smart, pushed into 2017. the schedule will be updated to reflect this CALLED IT!
  3. they will play 2.6 Star Marine on local LAN because doing it across the internet - the environment it was designed for - is shite it was 8v8 (the max before CE3 falls over) over the Internet. so much for 12v12 <--- lol @ MoMa

ps:

v2.1.0, Jan 15, 2016
v2.2.0, March 4, 2016
v2.3.0, March 26, 2016
v2.4.0, June 9, 2016
v2.5.0, Aug 25, 2016

AUGUST 22ND 2015
AUGUST 29TH 2015
SEPTEMBER 19TH 2015
OCTOBER 23RD 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

Derek intimated in the live chat today that Chris is terrified to show SQ42 before it's "Ready" because he thinks a bad first reveal will cause overwhelming reputation damage (he's probably right). So there's likely a mountain of buggy, half-finished single player content that they're sitting on but can't release, and instead we get Disco Lando in a clown suit.

It's worse than that. My sources - as of 48hrs ago - told me that SQ42 doesn't even exist as a "game". Just a bunch of bad parts. No vertical slice.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/809970786941435904

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
If this doesn't get me blocked, I'm doing it wrong.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/810127942042996736

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Got a link to both?

Here's one

https://www.twitch.tv/relay_sc/v/107887729?t=01m16s

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
So MoMA is still MIA then? :grin:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ewe2 posted:

And as always, Derek Smart was right.

:five::five::five::five:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Someone show MoMA his score card yet?

MoMA predictions:

ManofManyAliases posted:

4. Jared WILL be there.

MoMA prediction scores:

1. not a valid prediction. we already knew this
  2. not a valid prediction. this was a given
  3. fail
  4. not a valid prediction. this was a given
  5. fail

dsmart prediction:

D_Smart posted:

2. 2.6 will be delayed; and if they are smart, pushed into 2017. the schedule will be updated to reflect this
  3. they will play 2.6 Star Marine on local LAN because doing it across the internet - the environment it was designed for - is shite
  4. no meaningful SQ42 reveal - of any kind
  5. no meaningful 3.0 reveal - of any kind

ps:

v2.1.0, Jan 15, 2016
v2.2.0, March 4, 2016
v2.3.0, March 26, 2016
v2.4.0, June 9, 2016
v2.5.0, Aug 25, 2016

AUGUST 22ND 2015
AUGUST 29TH 2015
SEPTEMBER 19TH 2015
OCTOBER 23RD 2015

dsmart prediction scores:

1. croberts will recite, then write a cringe-worthy missive asking for money, making excuses, making new promises for 2017 CALLED IT! // see latest newsletter
  3. they will play 2.6 Star Marine on local LAN because doing it across the internet - the environment it was designed for - is shite it was 8v8 (the max before CE3 falls over) over the Internet. so much for 12v12

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MeLKoR posted:

Then how could SQ42 ever be close to finished when they haven't even got the AI working you loving idiot?

They are catching up to the fact that even "The Road to Citizencon" was completely staged bullshit, Squadron 42 was never on the table. As I said in my July blog.

:smuggo:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:vince:
:five::five::five:
:lol::lol::lol:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Wrecked Angle posted:

Awww Yisssss!!!!!!

:vince:

ps: You need this DLC http://3000ad.com/games/universal-combat-lyrius-conflict/

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

XK posted:

The anandtech thread could probably use a little

because they had the dumb door defense over in that thread.

The Derek conjuring semi-true myth was already cited over there. Someone could post "derek smart Derek Smart DEREK SMART" and have him jump in right after. lol

I have been following that thread; I just choose not to post. It's not like I post everywhere SC is discussed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:perfect: