Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Sarsapariller posted:

If you want to maximize your in-game profits you auto-load because filling up 600+ crates by hand will eat more time than 60 regular cargo runs. I think deep down Citizens know this, they're just so enamored of the shiny tech toy that they have to find some way to cram it into the dream.

What they want, in reality is the same as every other sandbox mmo enthusiasts is for other players to be forced to be a box loader for them. They want to know the immersion exists, but it won't be THEM getting paid basically nothing to load cargo. Nearly every other sandbox MMO is populated with these idiots who wonder why no one wants to be a horse holder in real time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Scruffpuff posted:

They're grasping at the most tenuous straws now. I think Kojima, whether you like his stuff or not, has an established history of delivery. If it takes him 6 years, you know for the entire time that he's making progress, has a plan, knows how to do it, and will get it done.

By contrast Chris Roberts has a documented history of failure (just like now), he's failed to deliver games in the past due to scope creep and ignorance of the subject (just like now), the games he failed to deliver in the past due to scope creep and ignorance of the subject were space games in particular (just like now), and he's been doing a note-perfect imitation of his previous fuckups since the project began. Nothing is planned, nothing is documented, nothing is scoped, nobody knows what the game is supposed to be, and there is no position in any of their multiple studios around the world whose job it is to determine those things, much less enforce them.

To compare these two people is absolutely ludicrous - they're not even both game developers. The only thing Chris Roberts ever developed was an extra chromosome.

This also just basically ignores that Kojima has produced, directed, and/or written a game that has released every year for the past goddamn 20 years.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Also it's illegal and punishable to file meritless law suits in the state of California. I'm sure Skadden knows this, and I seriously doubt they would've filed if they didn't think they could win. Of course "use CryEngine" is vague and who knows what the agreement says or escape hatches it has, but I'm unwilling to just dismiss this out of hand.

Also an injunction is an interesting question. On the one hand they are currently distributing the supposedly breaching work. On the other hand the induction would severely limit CIG's ability to pay a potential suit and damage it's IP greatly, which neither side really wants (probably, since presumably Cry wants paid)

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Just to be clear, it is super common to get the source code for a big-boy graphics / game engine. That doesn't mean you can just do whatever you want with it.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I can see it now:

"Mr. Amazon, please help us save our game and PC gaming. We're using your platform and everything. We'll give you lots of positive press and feature you in game and ever. Now, I know that we're in trouble cause we promised that to the last suc- I mean business partner and we went back on it, but we're good for it this time I swear"

EDIT: Just for shits, games with more viewers than SC right now: Doki Doki Literature Club (a free horror Visual Novel); Okami; Kerbal; Dofus....

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 14, 2017

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

D_Smart posted:

FYI, today was just the tip of the iceberg.

What comes next, and which I've also been sitting on for months, is bigger than this CryTek lawsuit, and even more hilarious.

Why are you captain underpants

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Crazypoops posted:

Until the end of time.

I've just recently watched a mmo go through the death throes and it's final days until shutdown.

The loving fans astroturf and *it's fine.gif* until the last loving second before the servers are shut off.

which one?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

have these people actually read the complaint? Maybe they don't actually read or do anything except post on reddit. maybe that's why the game is good. none of them have played it so to them its as good as they are told.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

XK posted:

Just lol that mspaint scribble is now highly likely to be a critical piece of evidence in a lawsuit.

what

thats not how code works

thats not how anything works

what

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Eldragon posted:

Depends on the company. I've worked under three different software firms that have a "anything you code in your spare time, we own it too" clause as part of the employment contract.

I know this is getting into derail territory; but I was under the impression that much like tech non-competes, these sorts of clauses ended up being basically unenforceable.

Also they can have the sorts of poo poo I code in my spare time.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

shitizen posted:

The dumb thing is that the $35 isn't a lot of money for me. Yesterday I spent $28 on lunch, so you'd THINK I wouldn't care... but I do, for some reason.

Just to be clear, this guy is not a poor. please don't kick him out for being a poor.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

That’s not how Contract law works. If CiG never amended their 2013 contract to the new terms then CIG is still bound by the old licensing agreement.

Not to mention that the CryENGINE standard agreement says you can't remove the logos (and that theirs has to be at least as large as yours). So they still boned.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Amazon lists Star Citizen as "built with Lumberyard" on their Lumberyard page still.

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 16, 2017

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Chalks posted:

Wow. Games have had this technology for decades but CIG claimed it was brand new - and now we know why. They have no idea what they're doing so they've re-engineered the whole concept from scratch and done it in a really stupid way.

Nice work chaps. loving lol

What is supposed to be new about this clip? Engines have been doing everything I see there for at least 5 years, even the fiddly bits. idgi?

EDIT:

Hell, the lighting looks faked, and the texture normal map is obviously hosed up (that's the two pieces on the side that look mis-colored under the flashlight.)

It looks like there's texture missing behind the shadow behind the desk (the checkerboard). Also it looks like it's billboarded cause it follows the camera.

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 16, 2017

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Nyast posted:

Where's this "Crytek is broke" storyline coming from anyways ? Honnest question.

I know they've had financial difficulties a few years ago, but then they got a $70M cash inflow from Amazon, so I'd say right now they should be doing fine, aren't they ?

Because if you admit any fault or failing you are a failure and might as well not exist. Unlike their hero Chris and Star Citizen, which never has faults and is always getting bigger and moving forward; and has never made a mistake.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

D_Smart posted:

LMAO!! I drat near spit my coffee. As proof that CryTek violated their contract, he posts...and opinion video that doesn't have any facts of that?

:laffo:

Not to mention this is classic reddit arguing of "if you can't spend several hours watching lovely videos that may or may not prove my point then get out."

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I assume brietbart would be anti this lawsuit since you know it's holding a business responsible for anything ever.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

PederP posted:

In what bizarro reality does PC gaming need saving? Where does this strange hatred of consoles come from? I much prefer PC gaming, but I've owned a few consoles as well, and I can't really see the conflict. There was a brief period where PC games, especially in the US, were close to disappearing from stores and malls. But that's like 10-20 years ago now, and was a short interlude.

PC gaming need to be saved from the PC police and the modern world, and go back to a time when everyone who gamed was just like CIG fans.

I think this is actually what they believe. (ignore that PC gaming was never really just for pasty white boys)

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Clearly you "launder money" by hiring an expensive law firm to sue someone you are under contract with.

Do they even know what money laundering is?

EDIT: vvv Thanks!

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 20, 2017

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Codezombie posted:

I was around in the 80's, the 80's sucked. I'm glad it's gone.

Why the sudden interest in that lovely decade all of a sudden?

Like most things I think the answer boils down to "because some dumb TV show said so."

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

What does "warbond" mean and why does it save $10?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Soooooo CIG is saving PC gaming by creating (yet another) first person shooter with a single player focus?

EDIT: Why aren't the more sane citizens angry about CIG wasting their money on big name actors for a single player FPS?

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 20, 2017

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

big nipples big life posted:

So why are they all the sudden really pushing the part of the game that no citizen really wants?

Because it's loving dead easy to make a single player FPS.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Given previous experience with poo poo like this, almost assuredly someone (Crobberts?) probably said "fix these two minor things for the stream tomorrow" yesterday, and the devs with basically no sleep, etc. broke like _everything_ instead and there was no time to roll back before the live stream started.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

so it IS prerecorded bullshit? and they're going to stream it on twitch to make it seem like it's live? laffo

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I love the tone too like "no you COMPLETE IDIOTS when we paid for a spot on IGN and said there was a livestream, it didn't mean live stream, it meant a playedback video where we are going to *chat* live at you. If you didn't know that you were stupid."

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Latin Pheonix posted:

One of my first thoughts was that this might be a carrot to attract/retain talent given their abysmal recruiting record, but as you say, why dilute the ordinary shares instead of just creating a new class? Maybe they couldn't be bothered to amend their company articles to create a new class of share? They're based on model articles after all...

Alternatively, maybe the number of shares they were proposing to give to staff was so insignificant that control was a non-issue for Chris, Ortwin and Erin?

I've known small (read 5 employee) business owners to illegally classify their employees as (voting?) share holders in order to not be required pay them overtime. It would take balls to do it at this scale tho.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Can someone explain where the "derek smart totally doxxed people" rallying cry comes from?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

kw0134 posted:

So in the far future we've lost the tech for HUDs? Why is everything on LCDs? Cars nowadays have that tech, holy poo poo I'm getting an aneurysm from how infidelitious this fidelity is.

My question is more "is any of the information on those HUDs affectable in game, and how much of it is actually important to spaceflight?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

you can see the input lad ont eh menus too.. :allears:

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

also the stutter ad the model switches animations is super awesome.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

is that mark hammil?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

haven't we seen all this before?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

they really need to lerp their animation switching jfc.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

the shifting dof is slightly nauseating

Edit: I only started drinking. am I doing it wrong?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

HOT TOILET ACTION

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

big nipples big life posted:

it felt like a 3 hour tour

:eyepop:

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

My favorite part of the stream was where none of the animations were lerped. lerping between animations is like rule -2 of working with 3d animation scripts. (lerping is linear interpolation, where you make sure the model doesn't jitter between animation scripts. It's _built in_ to most engines. )

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

it looks like a game in 1 year of dev. Not 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

XK posted:

It looked pretty ok. I can't particularly criticize the graphical elements, outside of the bugs and inconsistent framerate There was nothing noteworthy about it either. It was just, average? :shrug:

The real problem is that it was boring garbage.

the real problem is that this looks like something that's been worked on for a year,m not 5 years with 400 programmers.