Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiddite
Apr 15, 2001
Loligo vos omnes odet.

i'm the quarter past noon timestamp on a 'just got into the office' tweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiddite
Apr 15, 2001
Loligo vos omnes odet.

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/792080489439866882

i'm the kanban board that's barely changed since its last appearance four months ago

Squiddite
Apr 15, 2001
Loligo vos omnes odet.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Why are all the drinks in the same glass?

Wait, how the gently caress is all of this handle when it comes to gravity? Is everyone weightless or is the ship supposed to have a gravity well/generator?

Actually, has that ever been properly explained in ANY ship design?

This actually has a detailed and incredibly stupid answer in their lore articles: here and here

tl;dr: Artificial gravity is called "Lag" by characters in the 'verse. It consists of gravity goo, which is generated in a box and carried through pipes around your ship until it's blown out of the floor tiles at you. If you break the pipes, all the goo spills out and you have to mop it up. Spaceship walls are specially designed to stop the excess gravity from escaping into space.

edit: my mistake, gravity goo is actually harvested from somewhere called "interspace" and merely reheated inside your ship, you can restock on gravity midflight via yet another gameplay mechanic coming soon.

All of this makes sense because:

Squiddite fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 1, 2017

Squiddite
Apr 15, 2001
Loligo vos omnes odet.
I dared myself to actually watch the AtV to learn about Chris's amazing vision for submarine jpegs but was almost immediately derailed by an earlier Q&A item in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8dwGoqN_zs&t=263s

quote:

Q: "How can ships hover over the surface of a planet in any orientation even when some of them are designed to use VTOL thrusters?"
This was an exciting question to hear, because the first (and only) thing I did during the last free-fly weekend was to steal someone's spaceship, roll it over onto its back five feet above the launchpad, and get out - making it completely inaccessible to anyone because it just sat there like an anti-brick levitating above the scenery while its owner hopped up and down desperately trying to <<USE>> its immersion ladder. Well, the answer may surprise you!

quote:

A: "The VFX for when you're in atmosphere, they're the same VFX on the thrusters you have in space - so in space where it's all dark and you've got a black background, you can see these thrusters firing away keeping you up, whereas in atmosphere where you're in bright daylight you sort of lose them against the ship so it does seem like they're hovering when in fact if you look at them closely the thrusters are on full tilt trying to keep you up."
So there you have it, FUDsters: it's not like you can park upside-down above the terrain because the flight physics are cartoonishly stupid, it's all just because the thrust is the wrong color. If someone would just get around to making that blue thruster green, the physics will just behave normally!

Other fun lessons to learn from this statement are that the thrusters are constantly working to keep you upside-down in space, and that it's always daytime in the atmosphere, so the game is clearly functioning perfectly and nothing is abnormal about a WWI biplane space fighter hovering upside-down above a mountain.

Squiddite
Apr 15, 2001
Loligo vos omnes odet.

Hav posted:

Not just Earths, but _Super Earths_. 1-10 Earth masses, which has a bit of an impact on g, which has a bit of an impact on atmospheric pressure, which has a bit of an impact on temperature.
In fact the centermost and loveliest place in Star Citizen's epic universe is the planet Terra, in the Terra system. It's so earthlike that they named it "Earth" twice! According to the lore it's so fantastic that it's surpassed the old, boring, original Earth as the economic and cultural hub of humanity. It achieved all this despite being listed in their awful starmap as a super-earth and thus probably a thoroughly unpleasant place to live - a fact which puzzled me for a bit.

Then I realized that Chris Roberts probably just thinks "super-earth" means "just like Earth, but better."

Squiddite
Apr 15, 2001
Loligo vos omnes odet.

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Somewhere in the Lore is a half-completed full-sized artificial planet that almost bankrupted the Empire building it. So yeah they have the technology to do it, but I guess at some stage they decided to go back to moving things around in crates by grabbyhand :shrug:
That would be Synthworld, a lost kernel of stupidity in the sea of turds that make up Star Citizen's tragically dumb lore:

Terraforming planets is very easy, according to Chris Roberts - so easy, in fact, that according to their lore timeline his Mary Sue company RSI (the in-universe one, not the real one you sue for a refund) invented terraforming long before humanity had even invented interstellar travel. It's so trivial that there are no domed colonies in the lore of Star Citizen - they just plop down some terraforming gizmos onto a new world whenever they feel like doing a little mining, because it's cheaper to terraform an entire planet than to drill in pressure suits.

So naturally the human empire gets bored of all this terraforming because it's too easy and decides to build a planet from whole cloth instead. The empire's plan was to create a giant secret planet in the backwater of space, build it from mineral donations from private freighters who were all somehow clueless to the big secret, and then force a shitload of people to colonize it so that it suddenly wasn't a backwater anymore. Then they'd cancel all the wars they'd started with literally every other alien species and give them the planetbuilding technology for free - on the basis that the massive resource expenditure from strip-mining real planets to make a fake one would end the need to fight each other for, uh, those very resources.

Sadly, somewhere along the way the project was scrapped because the entire empire was overthrown when a couple people started a riot at a terraforming outpost, which just goes to show that you just can't please everyone.

The only thing CIG really has to show for all this lore-writing effort is a low-resolution jpeg that looks, well, judge for yourself, but I think you can guess which movie Chris Roberts had watched that week:

In any case I'm sure you'll agree that the story of a pointless vanity project with self-defeating and contradictory goals that inevitably overran its budget and survives off a trickle of donations from private citizens bears no ironic relationship to Star Citizen whatsoever.

Squiddite
Apr 15, 2001
Loligo vos omnes odet.

aleksendr posted:

I just showed this to my wife (who sometime read Sonic fanfiction for fun) and she sad "This is just horrible world building"
This one pun is better quality writing than all of CIG's lore put together.

Squiddite
Apr 15, 2001
Loligo vos omnes odet.

Sarsapariller posted:

In the future, a Bloody Mary will cost 30 times more than a beer, and an Old Fashioned will cost the equivalent of an entire drug smuggling run's profit.

Truly these are dark times

Use referral code ST4R-N5WR-C4LL and get 5000 UEC ($5 USD) of in-game money to spend on guns, hyperdrive upgrades, or a single bloody mary! Don't miss out!

edit: or two 24-packs of coke

Squiddite
Apr 15, 2001
Loligo vos omnes odet.

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Wait whoa, Earth and Terra are different planets? This original new spin on a tired sci-fi trope is... dumb. It’s super fuckin’ dumb. So dumb.
To Chris Roberts, student of physics, "super-earth" doesn't mean "crushingly high-gravity rocky hell world" like it does to everyone else, it means "just like Earth, but better!" So naturally, in his unparalleled lore-writing mind it's only natural that the automatic response to seeing such a world on your sensors when charting a new star system is to nickname it something that sounds just like "Earth," but cooler. It follows logically from that that the government would later rename the entire system after the name of the planet once it gets popular enough for colonists to start arriving, like they did with zero other systems in their well thought-out 'verse. Thus you have the planet Terra, in the Terra system, in the United Empire of Earth, upon which dwell Terrans; entirely distinct from the planet Earth and its inhabitants.

A major portion of the setting's dreadful political lore involves a vote to move the capital of the United Empire of Earth from Earth to Terra. Presumably this is part of some idiotic maskirovka campaign to confuse the hell out of any alien force looking to bomb the terran homeworld, like selling them upside-down maps or turning road signs around.

Squiddite
Apr 15, 2001
Loligo vos omnes odet.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The only weird part is the lack of prices on the menu. And what are "seasonal" fries?
They're only available on Fridays.

Squiddite
Apr 15, 2001
Loligo vos omnes odet.

Star Citizen: Hindsight is 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiddite
Apr 15, 2001
Loligo vos omnes odet.

Sarsapariller posted:

* Oh good another stupidly named thing, "Within Proximity Assist," which is a bullshit term that CIG has made up as well. What it actually means is: "Holy poo poo the hover mode we introduced last patch is awful and everyone hates it."
* The "Helicopter aspect" of hover mode has been removed! It wasn't intuitive and wasn't achieving what they wanted! Why did they loving introduce it then! It's like they don't test anything!
* "Softer, more believable, more realistic flying" is the new promise. It was also the old promise. I'm sure they aren't going to gently caress this one up.
* The goal is to decrease the ship's ability to thrust and accelerate when it's... close to the ground? Huh, okay. They are literally going to force you to fly the way they think you should. I wonder if they've actually tested this reduction in agility against all those ground attack missions where you have to shoot like 6 turrets. Two bucks says they forgot those missions existed.
* "This fits better with the lore of the game." It's funny because it kind of sounds like you'd say that about loving anything. It sounds a LOT more like "It fits better with marketing's vision of not upsetting literally every remaining whale by adding flight-sim mechanics to their flight-sim game."
Here's a simple question that any new player trying out this game would ask within five minutes, and thus surely must've been asked and answered a thousand times by the 500+ people developing these flight systems and the systems experts making these videos:

Why is it that the artificial gravity inside the ships' floors is good enough that a commando can walk around (and even jump!) perfectly normally in a ship that's parked on its roof upside-down relative to a planet, but a ship that's right-side-up can't just spray the gravity goo downwards to hover wherever and whenever it wants?

I'm sure this has a crystal-clear and perfectly sensible answer from their crack team of space physicists and I've just missed it.