Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

By now it should be pretty clear this is his fetish. "Oh no, pirates! Don't stomp on my ballistic missiles."

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

What we learn here is that despite being a complete clusterfuck, it still caused people to pull out their wallets.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Do spies still sit in this thread? I liked that bit.

I didn't like when DS doxxed me. Please stop doxxing each other.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
lol

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Nothing about the LY thing makes sense. Merging is a nightmare. You fix one thing that was broken by the incoming changes, and that breaks something else and so on. For months. This is for little things. A whole engine? Get hosed. They either haven't done it or spent the whole last year trying and this month is the first time they were able to successfully build.

That, or they haven't actually done any real work on the gameplay and they are still using stock cryengine poo poo to this year. But if that were the case, why is it so broken? Cryengine does FPS and cars and poo poo out of the box. I dunno.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Build three games and then merge them together. It will be more efficient.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Hey, Derrek. Go gently caress yourself. I like when you give good info, but most of it is just rehashed bullshit. Also, don't dox me pls

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

DogonCrook posted:

The posts where you have stated this has probably been skipped over because this thread is filled with an immense amount of unrelated nonsense. Thats why this happens, you have to disclaimer everything. Eightace has been out for almost a year now if i remember correctly and has said so multiple times. Why the hell would he know about ly?

Also on the engine change front, whats the smallest amount of their code you can use before you have to slap ly on there somewhere? I assume its if you use any at all.. Announcing a partnership or whatever doesnt tell you anything at all about what is used and what isnt, its all useless speculation. Imo it will all shake out anyways. This thread is reaching pretty hard right now.

This subforum should be gassed. This is something awful, there are endless opportunities to make fun of spergs here, and there are appropriate threads for that (that are far funnier than this poo poo).

On the subject of sc specifically its more interesting if both sides can discuss this poo poo on a more level playing field like the regular games forum. Probably more productive too.. I say that as someone who believes they are commiting fraud. Im very imterested in making sure the truth comes out about this and that cig is publicly shamed and ridiculed for this absurd and terrible behavior, but this just isnt the place to do it anymore. Its a poo poo show with copious amounts of snobbery on pretty much every subject, and a whole lot of cringe. Im not directing this at anybody cause all of this poo poo has its place but its loving stupid to try and do it all in one thread. I mean if you do give a poo poo about the implications of this, or consumer rights and protections, this is a horrible way to go about it.

Like 90% you are good people, so i want to make clear its not personal, its just that the thread is poo poo. Its the seinfield of threads, but it hasnt been funny for a long rear end time. Imo if its not relevant or funny find another thread. Theres cat threads, and burger threads, and whiskey threads, and im sorry but i just dont give a gently caress about what an ex star citizens has to say about any of those subjects if it's going to carry on for 15 pages. Like there is specifically a thread for akward, ugly, or gross where an sc sperg will slot right in and we can all laugh without having to make it personal and creepy etc.

Im drunk so im just going to say it, this is culty and a lot of you are on the spectrum. Some of you are autistic too.. lol get it?.. haha

get a refund.

This contains much concerned musings and no funny. To shame.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

The Titanic posted:

I believe this too. But the one snag I have is the 64-bit stuff they took apparent months to hack in. I'm not a video game engine writer, but making a switch like that seems, to me, that it needs to go all the way down to the core. Everything on top of it would then need to be fixed to support it as well. Out of all the stuff they talked about doing, I felt like converting a 32-bit engine to support 64-bit scales and sizes would be the most difficult "ground up" sort of thing. It's the kind of change where most people would say "gently caress it" and start writing a new engine from scratch so they didn't forget something or break something else reliant on the wrong number convention.

Am I wrong in this thought? 64-bit is really one thing you can't just sort of build an external dll to handle like some kind of magical mcguffin. If they did convert to 64-bit, that claim of 50% engine modification seems legitimate.

Of course this also means you can't just merge in stuff from another branch of the old engine because literally nothing is compatible outside of maybe error messages or something utterly pointless and disconnected from the actual engine handling.

As a small example, look at the fuss from the modding community over the 64-bit Skyrim Special Edition. And that's a game where it's basically the exact same game and tools. Some stuff works, but anything worth a drat needs to be rebuilt. It's not just a matter of clicking a "convert to 64-bits" check box.

So tell me guys and girls, an I wrong here? Is the conversion to 64-bit not as big a deal as I believe it to be for a game engine?

I will poorly give my layperson explanation:
When we say 64-bit here we mean 64-bit positions of entities in the SC engine. A 64-bit engine, like Skyrim, is referring to move from 32-bit to 64-bit codebase so you can use more ram and such.

https://tomforsyth1000.github.io/blog.wiki.html#%5B%5BA%20matter%20of%20precision%5D%5D stuff. From Derreks blog it looks like he thinks they went with some sort of kinda-fixed-point solution which I think is only natural. It would definitely suck to try move an established engine to use 64-bit positions as it could touch from how you save/load data, to optimisation and packing problems, right down to the rendering side of things. Certainly not impossible and definitely something you would need in a large scale game world. If they did it for real I can't imagine merging with another engine fork is anything but a nightmare.

moveable shape posted:

We have finally arrived at a reasonable explanation. Chris is telling the truth (like-for-like) to conceal the fact that nothing substantial happened. This is a licensing move

Seems the best explanation for everything. They have changed nothing. Maybe the AWS integration completely separate from the whole engine change was the thing that took a year?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Does there even exist a 3.7 or what ever backwards version of the Amazon engine? It seems like they just decided that it exists. Did they download it from some Amazon repo? Is there anyone left from Crytek to sue them?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

DancingShade posted:

The correct answer is to stop and laugh at the goons who "ironically" became redditors in the same way that a crazy person "ironically" climbs through the seat of an open air concert port-a-loo to roll around and wallow in the human excrement in the wheelie bin below.

You may also stop and laugh at the redditors who bought SA accounts to join the :bandwagon:

What if I am just casually doing both these things?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
I can't seem to make it clear to a cultist that CIG do not have an actual partnership with Amazon. It is kind of driving me crazy. That's all. Thanks.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

TheLightPurges posted:

David Swofford clarified to kotaku that cig is just a licensee of the engine.

That is what I told them. They think there is some sort of super secret deal going on or something where CIG is going to benefit Amazon greatly. Like they have some magic tech. Ah, gently caress everything.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Sometimes I think they should have made all the underlying systems first and then implemented all the little details of the visuals. Eh, I am sure my money is in safe hands.

If they just went and released Star Marine as a standalone then what exactly was wrong with the Illfonic version?

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 1, 2017

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
One of the ancient Greek philosophers said that often unhappiness happens when unrealistic expectations crash into unexpected reality. I honesty can't see how it would be possible for them to have more than they do in 4 years from a standing start. It's literally the most ambitious game ever conceived. GTA V took a well established studio with their own engine 5 years and $265 million to make. As far as I'm concerned they're on track and doing quite well considering the set backs (Illfonic's gently caress up) and bullshit controversy (DS and the hit pieces) they've had to deal with. CR said right at the beginning that the scope would expand if the budget did. The public voted with their wallets and now it has $140 million, several studios and over 300 employees earning their living from it.

It's sounds to me like you're just jaded. Maybe you should just step away from it completely and revisit it in a year when it's much closer to release? You're obviously upset and tbh that's partially your own fault for having unrealistic expectations. You had an opportunity to get a refund long ago but presumably didn't take it. They have shown stuff from SQ42 btw and I'm personally glad they're not giving much away about it, I don't want large elements of the campaign exposed before it's released. I don't know what else to say man, I just hope you take a step back. Calling it a scam is very disrespectful to the people currently enjoying it and the men and women making their living from it.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 2, 2017

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

This is bait. It has to be.

Double post. gently caress yeah.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What brilliance is that from? I love this post.

I said that they didn't meet the expectations CIG set up, but missed my even lesser expectations.

I honestly thought by this year of our lord 2017 they would have at least got some of the MMO bit started.

Blaming loving Illfonic. They made a game like you asked. You are the one that thought you could take 3 studios, make three separate games and then stitch them together later. I even called it on my blog when they first said it.

I don't want to talk to them anymore since they brought up the boogie man as if that means anything.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Sedisp posted:

Remember when citizens called people who said there's no way we're seeing release before 2020, trolls?

That is before we gave them extra funding to increase the scope of the game. We at the ones who failed CIG.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

AlmightyPants posted:

I'm not sure if they ever publicly admitted to messing with the scaling of what they're building. Hell, I don't remember where we got the information that Vanduul are 9 feet tall and the ceilings were too low. I doubt it was an official source because that's embarrassingly lovely. So would scaling everything down to fit it all in with the pre-existing Cryengine positioning poo poo or whatever that makes everything jitter and break constantly.

No. There is no reason why them getting the scale wrong would be a major catastrophe. It'd be some work to fix it if it is code side and no real work to fix it art side.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

what happend to the awesome explosions we've seen 2015?
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/365866/what-happend-to-the-awesome-explosions-we-ve-seen-2015
yes.. whatever happened to all that work...

Every post is just chock-full of weirdness.

"Alot more of this game is complete than we currently have" - What does 'complete' mean then?
" in 3.0 with the netcode fix youll see the game massively change" - Didn't they partner with Amazon to share their amazing netcode with them?
"right now the game isn't stable enough for many things like ships breaking into very little pieces as they get shot." - FOUR YEARS and we are still saying the basic systems are not working.
"Most of that relies on the Ship Components and Pipelines functionality - because the 'energy' travels along the pipelines, and it's the components that will cause the KaBooms..." - None of this is real. It is all just fantasy.

"I believe there are two distinct projects being worked. I feel like there is the actual PU & SQ42 game being developed as one project and then there is the hype, funding, marketing, community management and PTU/Alpha work... I think the second team is completely disconnected from the actual development of the game"
You're getting there you just need to...
"I think the spoon feeding of information is the absolute bare minimum and what's coming is 10 leaps forward. I think 2.6 and 3.0 are far behind actual game progress."
No, no, no, no!

There is the Star Citizen we see, the broken mess and Star Citizen as it exists, which is complete and has everything we ever dreamed. We are just not allowed to see the latter. Reasons.

"Maybe they have removed them from testing to help reduce strain on servers."

One post has any sanity: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7422002/#Comment_7422002

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jan 2, 2017

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

cool new Polack jokes posted:

When you think about it, Star Citizen is a labor of love. Chris Roberts is doing all of this- exploiting people's unrealized dreams to raise funds for a fake video game, and spending it instead- as well as his own blood, sweat and tears- directing a mocapped movie for his wife to star in and hiring A-list actors for her to get her big break in Hollywood. Truly romantic.

I kind of forgot they did all that. In hindsight, doing all that mocap was probably a waste of time and money, if you really think about it. They never really got around to putting it into a video game and it probably isn't really relevant to their projects anymore. In hindsight, that is.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

flyboi posted:

It's the same lovely app that people use on other games and unless you like vomiting everywhere it's awful

http://www.vorpx.com/

I used these things once and never again. It doesn't look right and it feels god awful. Like being drunk.

Predictions:
SQ42 will not be in 2017 (obviously)
Something called 3.0 will be released mid year. It will have nothing in it that was said to be in 3.0.
The engine change will not be done before the end of the year. Nothing of value will be gained from Lumberyard and they will just stick with what they got.
Derrek Smart will promise big things that turn out to be reasonably medium things (Yes, console release. No, it will also never be done)
And the big one: A massive change in the direction of the project this year will be openly announced. Think: dropping the MMO side.

You didn't hear this from me. Natch'.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

ManofManyAliases posted:

-We're going to see 3.0 release much earlier than "mid-year."
-SQ42 will, at the very least, have a level (or few levels) drop this year. Though, I'm optimistic for a full release before end-of-year.
-Certain evocati will begin testing 3.0 very, very soon.

Quote the poo poo out of this if you want.

Sorry. It means 3.0 will be before June but not in a month or two. Like Q2, not Q3. Cheers.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

D_Smart posted:

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/816324854781792256

I wrote this back in Oct before they were dumb enough to switch to Lumberyard, five years into development

http://www.dereksmart.org/forums/topic/star-citizen-musings/#post-4746

I loving beat you with all this news. Look above. Don't rehash poo poo.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

ManofManyAliases posted:

Ok. From what I hear, there will likely be one more 2.6 drop (2.6.1), which should include the first iteration of the "mega-map." That will be the primary test-bed for the Stanton (?) release in 3.0. There will be multiple stations, at least one full system to traverse as well as enhanced quantum travel and flight mechanics. My notes are still pretty vague, but hey: it's more than anyone else with a "source" on this gay thread, right?

Quoting this too.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What do you think of Ben Parry's confession that the Lumberyard "swap" is a superficial joke?

And what do you think of the 'partnership' with Amazon? Don't you feel that entire post from CIG was a bit too grandiose? 'A complete bunch of lies', if you will.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

I straight up don't read your stuff, but I concede. Your move.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
MoMA, answer the loving questions. You might actually learn something about this project and, dare I say, yourself?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Rewind 5 years and borrow some of the people who made Planetside 2 netcode. Roll your own engine instead of using Cryengine. Work on the base systems of an MMO instead of making three singleplayer games and trying to hack them together along with multiplayer support. Or, burn the loving project to the ground, sell the assets and leave the country for some unknown island forever.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I know this is all bullshit because CIG never had design docs to begin with.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Seriously, gently caress the whole Most Open Development Ever, bullshit. This is the most open development ever:

Updates, day to day changes, long and short term plans: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Long term plans that don't change on a whim: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html
Actual, not lying current feature list: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/features.html
Open bug tracking: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/my_view_page.php
Honest and open QA and articles from many sources: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_talk.html
Email actual people: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/contact.html
Even more updates and plans: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=4020854bd26dc70704ae8e9bdb3a2516&board=10.0

And has been doing this for years. Without boasting. And it is crowd funded. And it actually exists and always has.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Sappo569 posted:

FYI

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15056-The-Shipyard-Sharpening-The-Cutlass

Lol they are literally wasting time and money re-doing ANOTHER asset for an incomplete game

When 99% of your workers are artists you tend to run out of things to do eventually.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
How to make an MMO:

Code an arena multiplayer game.
Connect to the cloud and shard a few clusters.
Done.

If you didn't manage to have an MMO by the end of these instructions, try repeat step 1 as many times as you need.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Has DS user name always been formatted like that? I never really noticed otherwise.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its insane that a team of nearly 400 people have accomplished so very little to show for. I dont think its a case that there aren't 400 people working on the game right now, but rather that they have a bunch of people that are incapable of meeting Chris demands. This isn't a slight against the people working at CIG though, you could have the best engineers in there and they'd still struggle to push out Chris's turd.

I thought it was considered that if they paid some company to make something for the game they counted all that companies employees in their total. No?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm afraid.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Arms_Akimbo posted:

This is more of a complete game than SC.

https://youtu.be/-8cA5mU59uI

Which gives me an idea. CIG should just dump all the ships into their tiny little space box, add sliders for all their "physics" values, solidify a 16 player environment, then release the best drat space version of garry's mod. That's really the only way they salvage what little they've accomplished before it all goes tits up.

Edit: Goat Simulator Star Citizen Edition

Half way into the video and it is still boring. How do you make car crashes boring?

EDITED: The whole video was boring. The whole loving thing.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 6, 2017

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
What, why? I bet he fucks like a horse and he weaves beautiful poetry with his every utterance. His Golden Hands are not just magic with a keyboard, you know? His seed can be considered nothing less than perfection. Any woman would be lucky to have him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away