Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

his nibs posted:

Meanwhile, one of things that Citizens could previously point to ED and get all :smug: about is being eroded.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/359929/atv-2-6-new-flight-mechanics-are-brilliant

Another guy slowly realizing that the real game they are actually making is not the same game they try to sell. Next he's going to be wanting to see design documents, then he'll be relegated to their concern forum before he's ultimate meltdown. Hopefully he'll get an account here at some point.

Good luck with your battle of logic, friend! It's an uphill war and you have a lot to carry. :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lol

I was thinking this the other day. It was such a gross analogy. :shobon:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I love how easily they can say "CIG lies all the time" and yet also imply how they have faith in them. I wish I could figure out how they get from thought A to thought B without ever stopping and rubbing their chin in a sudden realization of what they're doing. :allears:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Wrecked Angle posted:

The funny thing is the way the backers point at extremely slow progress then eventually delivering terrible, buggy, hacked together versions of the really easy stuff as if that somehow proves CIG can build all the ~DREAMS~ they've been promised.

No-one ever said they can't build a 6v6 arena shooter, no-one ever said they can't build a shoddy 10v10 FPS game. No-one even said they can't build a tech demo featuring 3 stations with FPS, EVA and ship flying combined.

The bit people say can't be done is the 100 star systems with 1000s of players playing together in the same universe with millions of AI controlled NPCs and hundreds of planets that you can land on and explore every square mile of hand-crafted, procedurally generated landscape complete with unique flora and fauna.

I put this to Lazrin in the last thread but got no response...

Point being it's all very well doing all the easy stuff but if you can never find a solution to make all the ridiculously complex stuff work you're not really making progress at all.

I really liked your original analogy and it fit well with exactly what CIG is doing. Making an FPS arena game with 6v6 PvP battled using CryEngine doesn't get them an ounce closer to the fever nightmare of Star Citizen. Good critical think skills and putting complex ideas and concepts into a very simple to understand package. :hfive:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

"Oh neat CIG has new weapon artwork out, I wonder what creative and practical designs they've come up with..."

"Hmm, that's actually not bad looking, aside from being really front-heavy. Something about that seems familiar though, I wonder where I've seen that befo-"

Chris Roberts.jpg, also every page of Star Citizen Design Doc.docx:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Raskolnikov posted:

I'm the constant z-fighting in everything they show. :downsbravo:

trucutru posted:

Hey, it is really difficult to deal with z-fighting after you hack together a 32-into-64 bit coordinate system.

I think they not only hacked it to 64-bit, they also shrunk all of the characters to something inappropriately small. So it's likely a combination of bad decisions that lead to this broken mess.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

tooterfish posted:

Describing yourself as a creative genius gets you to at least an 8 or 9 on the insufferable oval office scale all by itself.

I was thinking much the same. But I'm not sure what kind of resume they've ever written or "about me" blurb that wasn't run through a marketing group first.

I'm looking forward to what a real fan site will look like, and how much legitimate traffic it gets with out somebody like Jake DiMare in the background fluffing things a bit. He may very well have made them feel like creative geniuses because he was ripping them off and making bank while they went on their ignorant little way.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So the new Caterpillar looks interesting:

I wonder if it will carry smaller ships.

So for all you guys and girls who bought this, even if you later refunded it...

Is this what you were envisioning? Like outside of the cost of the ship and it was just free with the game that might come out. Is this the vision you saw and what you hoped it would be?

I personally think it looks a bit silly, but I think this was supposed to be the "space train" everybody was sperging over back in the day? If so I think it looks very train-y.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

peter gabriel posted:

So I went to this nerdfest thing today with the boy and MY WIFE - It was good, because my son is still only 6 and was in his full Dart Vader outfit he gets all the 'awwww' factor stuff off the people there - all the dudes dressed as storm troopers and stuff that were walking around kept bowing and saluting him, all the ones dressed as Han Solo etc ran for cover, it was the most :3: day just for that, nerds have gone way up in my estimations, it was so fun.

There was also some good nerd models there, like this Hull E Battlestar Galactica ship

And this

And it all kicked off in the Squadron 42 demo Cantina

Anyway that was my day thanks for reading

This is a very good and happy thing to do. I'm glad your family and you had a great time. It looks like it was a very cute day. :3:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

It's almost exactly like what I was envisioning

Not really sure what I'm looking at though, is the outer hull invisible? Is it supposed to look like poo poo?

I'm really not sure either. Partly why I was asking. I have no idea.

I guess this is the modular one where you just keep adding modules in the middle and it gets longer and longer?

I hope it still performs like a cig ship and just rotates comically at center mass. It could be like 2010 where they try to re-enter the Discovery but the outer parts are spinning too fast and there's too much gravity there for them to hang on. Except it's Chris-fidelity and the outer parts have normal gravity and everybody inside is not pancaked to the walls.

Even 30-40 year old movies had better science to them than Chris Roberts has, and he's trying to claim the reality card somehow. :confused:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Actually I don't think that is the case. I mean it's the common joke that backers are dumb enough to keep this trash fire going but something to consider is the cost of Squadron 42. It's a shift in consideration for what they are doing since it would be an actual release.

If the leaks are true and SQlude has taken focus with other things being dependent on it that means they don't have enough money to develop Squadron 42 from the backers, and they were never actually developing Star Citizen to begin with.

So if the project is dependent on SQlude and it does terribly that means they can't afford to finish Squadron 42 (since it will be more of the same terribly animated, terribly written, terribly received horse poo poo) and the only way they will ever make Star Citizen is if Squadron 42 generates them enough money to actually start developing it.

I've included a finely crafted jpeg to highlight my point

Basically instead of backers being able to see both products released over enough time, it's independent of backer funds and a series of things have to happen which are dependent instead on Chris Robert's script writing and animation. Sqlude will make the money to finish SQ42 which will make the money to actually develop Star Citizen. If one of those steps fails the entire thing fails, and the SQlude will be the first actual step they have taken in 5 years.

I think another important factor is that Chris Roberts doesn't really care about Star Citizen. He cares about the movie(game). He's already outlined plans for multiple sequels to Sq42 after its mad success.

I'm pretty sure Star Citizen is going to be slowly hobbling along like it is now, milked for everything with next to no development while the movies are made. It's possible that if Sq42 somehow makes enough money to keep going, there will be a Sq42 Part V before there is anything close to the dream of Star Citizen.

This is not necessarily a bad idea from a business standpoint. A single player game with no server overhead that is comprised of animated cutscenes and different gameplay levels between them is hugely more possible and viable than an MMO at even 1/10 of what Star Citizen is promising.

The backers aren't going to like it and eventually there will be more public outcries that people didn't back this game for a crappy single player experience, but so far the blinders are on and in full effect.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Never surrender to enslavement, defeat, or the inevitable consequence of piracy!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
In honor of Chris Roberts and his upcoming epic series, Squadron 42. It's imperative that you prepare yourself for the story you're going to get. The multitude of characters and their many, varied personalities and exciting dialog.

To properly prepare for this moment, here is a screen from the Wing Commander 3 I think of some of the characters. Please try to figure out which one is the bad guy. It will not be easy because they do not exactly make themselves obvious. Their dialog and bodily emotions convey acting and characterizations that haven't been before experienced in a mere video game medium.

Prepare yourself.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Godmode Enabled posted:

I had this ship and refunded it a while ago after we figured out this game prob wasn't going to be a thing. Its about what I was expecting. A space train with lots of Storage to move sex bots to SC bunny mans pleasure emporium space parts to other systems. Its looks pretty close (better) than the original concept.

Edit: I did like the massive gun in the concept though
Edit2: Was also hoping I could hide a massive planet destroyer gun in the hull :allears:

That version actually looks better than the one they have now, but I can see how it's not really modular where you can insert identically sized modules between it and grow/shrink it.

It reminds me back when the CIG designs were pretty neat and the game was still a real possibility to occur. It's too bad they can't recapture that and roll with it. But I guess a game like that would not need 800 hours of motion capture and AAA actors. Just good, fun gameplay. That one of many things CIG doesn't know how to focus effort into.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

It's pretty funny how we've become comic book supervillains to those guys. Part of me feels obligated to correct the narrative, but on the other hand letting people like Cymelion believe that we have some kind of master plan to get all the citizens to refund is probably the funnier option.

It's because Star Citizen can't be at fault. Chris Roberts is infallible. CIG is a team who's only equal maybe Rockstar if they were lucky. Etc etc.

As time goes though this will happen more and more. I still don't understand how they made millions off of their last showing. Logically tonne it seems like "FPS gameplay" is exactly not what the people who play Star Citizen want.

I must be in the minority though, as a potential backer. I'd love to get a Starflight/Freelance type mash up. Even if it's a single player game. I'm not very good at FPS games, and if Star Citizen actually happens the amount of griefing CIG introduced because of this FPS nonsense will be off the chart.

Every big ship will be 100% NPC because the first dozen times Captain Solo is shot in the back of the head and his ship is stolen by a "loyal crew member" will be the end. CIG builds these ideas with seemingly no idea what the obvious ramifications will be.

Ultimately if Star Citizen is ever made, it will not be a fun game. Nobody will trust anybody unless they are friends from outside that game. People will keep tallies of how much they've ruined players who bought ships by stealing or destroying them. It will be a griefing paradise. Star Citizen will just not be fun; unless you play it in a controlled environment or single player. Eventually people may think about the future gameplay instead of buying the next concept sale. But that would require people to demand CIG actually start explaining this poo poo ideas they've promised. "PvP slider" doesn't even make sense. :confused:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Decrepus posted:

Remember that the only 2 things Chris has said "No" to in regards to Star Citizen are cow bacon and the ability to be pulled into and crushed to death in the loading mechanism of a missile launcher as it loads a fully rendered high polygon missile.

I forgot about the highly detailed WW2 torpedo loading mechanics players can engage in.

I wish the backers would ask about this crazy stuff and pin CIG down into giving answers. But deep down inside I know they don't want to ask because they don't want to be told the sickening and heartbreaking truth about these promises. It's like a person who had something horrible happen to them, and instead of face reality they just ignore that event like it didn't happen. :(

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Natron posted:

The idea that people who got their refunds will be incredibly pissed if the game comes out and is good is so loving bizarre.

If you were in for $3000 and got a complete refund, and then two years later the game comes out, CIG will still gladly take your sixty space-bucks. A business isn't going to refuse your money. They're going to want you to pay your money, get into the game, and then spend some more money on other idiotic micro/macro-transactions. And even if they did, all it would take to circumvent their policy is a different credit card and maybe a new e-mail address.

You take your 3 grand out, then pay them 60 bucks once the thing you asked for is done for a net gain of $2940. Why would anyone be mad about that arrangement?

Somehow the "us us us" narrative that CIG employs has really hit home with select people. They feel pride in seeing the numbers go up, like it's some sort of a fund to build a shelter for the needy instead of a video game. They must think they are going on vacation too when Chris or somebody near him posts pictures from his world travels across all the expensive holiday locals for the filthy rich.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sabreseven posted:

Sir, you do realize that means changing the bulb?

*bonus points if you get the reference*

https://youtu.be/Qa_gZ_7sdZg

A show with actual comedic talent with actors who knew how to deliver lines.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

nawledgelambo posted:

I am still convinced the only way this company will be able to survive is by a subscription method.

I believe this to be true. They will never make enough with their products to stay viable, and a publisher will never front them money because they've proven they can't make anything on time or within a reasonable budget. The future is grim, but right now they have millions. Vacations and bonuses for everybody (important)! Have a merry Christmas with the huge bonus (upper management)! :homebrew:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

The Titanic posted:

Somehow the "us us us" narrative that CIG employs has really hit home with select people. They feel pride in seeing the numbers go up, like it's some sort of a fund to build a shelter for the needy instead of a video game. They must think they are going on vacation too when Chris or somebody near him posts pictures from his world travels across all the expensive holiday locals for the filthy rich.

Don't mean to quote myself, but I just wanted to point out the stark contrast of schemes.

CIG, being a scummy multinational corporation who mistreats people employs an "us us us" concept, and it's vastly successful and has pretty good cling with people who otherwise would see through it as a sham.

In stark juxtaposition of that is Derek, on the other side of the fence, who employs a "me me me" concept. It's hard to cling to, and even in places where everybody agrees with him he tends to lose traction because of it.

Just thought I'd like to point that interesting tidbit out. It's not bashing either side, just the difference in how the "sides" portray themselves to the general community of both for and against groups.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Daztek posted:

Star Citizen will also have a PVP SLIDER, they can just set it to NO GOONS

I really hope some day the backers just explode and demand CIG explain this stuff.

That will be the day the curtain rises though, and instead of a game making master with tremendous skill and talent hiding there with answers and design documents of how everything works, the only thing behind the curtain is Chris Roberts. :sweatdrop:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Qwertycoatl posted:

Whatever CIG do to try to make money after the game is hypothetically released, I don't see how they can avoid massively enraging a load of people.

If it's possible to get the big expensive ships through a reasonable amount of gameplay, then poopsockers will get them within a few weeks of release and the whales will be upset that they've wasted their money.

If it's not, then all the non-whales will hate it for being pay2win.

The economy of the game is one of the best things you think people would want to know about.

If you buy a $300 dollar ship but you can earn it in game in a few days of casual play, you probably would not spend $300. Contrary if you did spend that, you're going to be upset that your money was wasted.

This is where that "but you're supporting the game's development" will be an ironic knife in the back. It's very possible that the people who invested <$70 or nothing in pre-sales at all get the most enjoyment out of it if it ever exists. They just spent the cost of a normal game and won't feel shafted.

It's a better than average possibility that today's backers are tomorrow's banned players because they can't contain how pissed off they will be. :ohdear:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Samizdata posted:

Well, apparently I hurt his widdle feelings, as I am now blocked.

Standard Citizen Defense Maneuver Alpha - Stop listening.

You did good, friend. You have my vote for thread IK! :hfive:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Reharakhti posted:

It's still in development, added some ranged stuff last week (not done yet, obviously :P)
https://twitter.com/minionsart/status/804783655717666816

This is so cool and cute. :3:

It may be the best thing to come out of Star Citizen, and actually come out hopefully!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

This is awesome. Great job! Good decision for the usage of your immense power, too! :glomp:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

I huff my own pledges

I put all your predictions into a jar and when I'm feeling down I open it and let the sweet vapors send me to Cloud Imperium 9. :eonwe:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

CIG better find his account and ban him before these leaver ideas spread to other paying whal-- community members. :cop:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheLightPurges posted:

Also if anyone wants to laugh at how broken the Cattepillar is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkmPnG4z4B0

The first 30 seconds kinda sums up the whole vid.

Looks like a good start. Lots of graphics issues. Lots of z-fighting issues. Lots of data loading issues between sections. I'd be very curious to know how this will work in the game itself. Just sitting there stationary by itself in an empty room it appears to have a considerable number of problems. That won't get better when it's plugged into their game world.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

moveable shape posted:

Look at this poo poo. I cannot believe how much money has been wasted by this project.

Here is a polished useless asset we sold you. Oh the game? That isn't made yet but in the mean time please witness our ability to waste money and dev time for the illusion of progress. Thanks and don't forget to pick up that next special ship with fresh cash

I am screaming at the computer game.

Don't scream too hard, friend. In the end, most of the backers deserve what they get. They want to support it with apparent millions of dollars, nothing you can do to stop them. Just smile and watch the show.

The good part will be when they finally realize how screwed they are getting. That may be a few more "non-playable demos" later, but it'll happen eventually. :shobon:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

ripptide posted:

That's it exactly. Just like the layout for the Starfarer, it makes very little practical sense if you were designing the ship for function, but works fairly well as an FPS level. Looks like all the larger ships are in for the flying FPS arena treatment.

This is like office levels in Doom maps.

"Yeah, Jeff. Need you at the meeting room now. It's through the left door, over the radioactive water trap, and through the dark room with the pulsating lights. And for crying out loud, will you please remember your red keycard this time? I can't afford more workers comp cases this year."

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

darkarchon posted:

Usual reflection cubemaps, easiest form of reflection possible. Nothing unusual here. They will never change to screen space reflections due to the heavy impact on performance.

I think in your heart of hearts you know what will happen when Chris Roberts learns that they are not reflecting the real scene, but instead using a non-genuine reflection map. :allears:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

spacetoaster posted:

Remember when CIG just closed all their support tickets because there were so many of them and said that if it was important the person will just make another one?

Good times.

This happened right around the Beer exchange went public. I'm willing to bet this purge took place because it would also make key people at CIG, like Sandi, look like fools. So nuking everything was the only obvious tactic to do to keep the full extent of these email chains from spreading.

I may be wrong, but it feels like something an 8 year old would do to keep themselves out of trouble, and I've learned that's usually the level of maturity CIG takes when dealing with problems. :shrug:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Star Citizen taught me about fremdschämen, and for that I am eternally grateful.

:same:

I hope we get an English word for it some day because it's perfect. I suggest "Robbertsed".

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

nawledgelambo posted:

You think one of the artists is trying to tell the backers something?

Whoa. There is definitely some dissent within the ranks. I hope they have a good Christmas too. It's a good thing Christmas is on a Saturday and Sunday this year so Chris can give them only a 5 day work week with crunch hours instead of maybe miss that extra day or two.

Of course he already has his Hawaii Christmas vacation booked and won't be in the office that week or two.

Set Honesty slider to 0, friend!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

croberts is the skyrim modder who makes a dagger with 128k polygons and an 8k texture.

You're close, except it's butt plugs. And they aren't visible when equipped. Just knowing the fidelity is in him is good enough.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo

I mean,

:sterv:

and that was like $70 million ago

This is why Star Citizens have crazy dreams. :(

But how they think this is ever going to be reality in any timeline of Star Citizen as a game is why we think they are just crazy. It's all big talk, and then it ends up being "uh... grounded in your wank pod for 5 minutes. Yeah... that's LTI!"

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Thoatse posted:

Their inability to make a flight model that doesn't suck or come even remotely close to what was pitched is what let me know this game will never be what it was sold as, and years of crobbling have only solidified that conclusion.

They can't even make the most basic part of a space sim function in a way that doesn't make them a joke or liars, plus as a company are too stupid to realize 'they had one job' and are failing miserably at it. My brain initially shifted into skepticism with cr's first ridiculously long
run of mocapping. That set the tone and stage of everything that has followed, only now there's so much more and it's so much worse.

This is why most of us are here. Waiting for that inevitable phrase some random backer will say that will be the start of the avalanche. Something like:

"What is this cobbled together non-game piece of poo poo I spent $30,000 on over the last 5 years???"

And the ensuing shitstorm. This happened almost once and CIG hastily released their "Road to CitizenCon" or something where they played their pity-us card, and which depicted Chris Roberts as the primary problem of the whole project, which is full of red flags everywhere.

Hell, overworked artists are starting to crack, with adjustable "Honesty" knobs tucked into the ships they build now.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

crisp roberts posted:

In a way CIG really reminds me of a modding team. The starting aspiration, the clunky tech demos, a bastardized version of an already released game, overpromising and internal struggles. Sure, sometimes great mods come out, but much more fail though.

"And it'll be like GTA! Only bigger! And space ships that you walk on! And you can totally look out the window at another guy in another ship and wave to him! And there'll be planets! Oh yeah the planets will have weather, and seasons, and look like Crysis maps!!!! And cars!!! And you can put the cars in your ship and carry it to your new planet and drive it there!!!! And it'll have 1000 players in the same server instance and they can all see each other! And you'll have pets! And there'll be more NPCs than players all of who have their own lives and motivations!!!!"

And all of this and more is Star Citizen. Sound loving stupid like that? Because it is. Its a fever dream of a kid who has no idea how things work. But keep throwing money into the fire. I'm totally sure at some point my above statement will totally come true and Star Citizen will have it all. I just need to be patient with the special group who can't even make a ship fly right, doors work, and a basic FPS game in an FPS engine well.

It's right around the corner for sure. :allears:

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 5, 2016

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

I know this has been said before, but who the gently caress thinks this is a normal thing to do in space?
Talking about the stupid dust lol.

Haven't you ever seen on a surface so clean it literally glows in the light? Don't you remember all the dirt that was kicked up when you blew on it?

It's exactly like that. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Oleyo posted:

This is good.

It legitimately annoys me that everyone points to this when showing stuff that's "never been done before". Its not impressive to walk around in a ship that is moving. It would be impressive to step out and float along gently with the ship, even if you were screaming along at thousands of m/s since your hardly moving wrt the frame of reference of the ship. So it fails to be unnecessary fidelity, and becomes an over-engineered yet prosaic feature, while also being wrong. And the wrongness is the least offensive part. Wrongness is great in scifi if you are doing it to have something fun or interesting.

But no. Step out of the ship and WHOOOOOSH you dead stop with relation to nothing as your ship flies away. uuauauarhg.

All these people think they're getting Kerbal Space Program in the game too. :allears:

Is there any game that Star Citizen isn't going to be yet?