Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/808873887618318336

A Neurotic Corncob fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/361376/the-one-thing-we-asked-disco-lando-to-do

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

did CIG put a Star Citizen trailer before screenings of Rogue One?

I'm basing this primarily on this somewhat cryptic thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5ibu1d/i_just_saw_rogue_one_and_i_need_this_game_more/

and also an INN podcast from many months ago where they said we would see the beginning of an advertising blitz for SQ42 starting in December. People speculated at the time that it might be a Rogue One trailer.

If so, wow, must have cost a pretty penny.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

Star Citizen: If you are hoping for nothing,then they will deliver

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

just want to quickly point out that antisemitism is bad, and you shouldn't actively support antisemitism.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

:cawg:

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

golf

swing

is

in

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

Light Purges - there's a 3 page one in the concern forum.

Kakarot posted:

Whats happening on Friday?

Holiday stream, last chance for CIG to show off the vaunted SQ42 demo.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7354623/#Comment_7354623

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

Sandi posts sneak peak of the livestream stuff? SQ42 Maybe?

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

No SQ42 in the Livestream "After all the effort we expended for CitizenCon, we didn’t want to spend additional developer time polishing intermediate solutions if it wasn’t going towards the final product."

quote:

Greetings Citizen. This past week has been a very busy one, with everyone across the company heads down with the push to get Star Citizen Alpha 2.6 released to you. The help of the Evocati has been invaluable, identifying bugs for us to smash and giving us critical game balance feedback. We had hoped to able to go to Live today but there are still some final UI elements that need to be finished and we still have a few serious bugs being tracked down and fixed.

We're circling a PTU candidate which will go to the Evocati later today, and, if this is successful, we will be pushing it out to a wider PTU test over the weekend so we aren’t too far off!

If you’re interested in the remaining tasks and how we tracked from last week please visit the project schedule page for a more detailed breakdown.

Today is our Holiday Livestream, where we will dive a bit deeper in what’s in 2.6, including showing the bigger Star Marine map in an epic faceoff between our US and EU studios!

There’s a huge amount of new functionality and content in 2.6. It represents a good portion of the last 4 months of the work that the entire company has been doing in our main development branch and moves us significantly closer towards 3.0.

Star Marine, the dedicated FPS game mode, is the big headline, but we also revamped the whole flight model in Star Citizen. This makes it more accessible for new players, but maintains nuance and complexity for veteran pilots. Eight new ships are flyable in 2.6, including the massive Caterpillar, which is a sight to behold! Arena Commander has been given some love too, with tweaks to the scoring, new pickups and VFX. There is a completely new front-end and UI that improves lobby flow for Arena Commander and Star Marine and introduces the ability to customize loadouts for your character and ships, as well as check out where you stand on the Community leaderboards. Finally, there are quite a few new missions in the mini PU, a ship graveyard to explore and a bar in Grim HEX to hang out in!

In anticipation of today's Live Stream, I did want to address one thing that I have been seeing speculation on in the forums: whether or not today's Live Stream will feature the Squadron 42 Vertical Slice.

After we made the decision before CitizenCon that the Squadron 42 vertical slice wasn’t ready to be shown publically, we spent some time on reviewing how far off we were and what we wanted to achieve in order to be comfortable showing a full chapter of S42 gameplay. After all the effort we expended for CitizenCon, we didn’t want to spend additional developer time polishing intermediate solutions if it wasn’t going towards the final product. A slick demo isn’t that helpful if it pushes back the finished game, so we decided that the priority should be completing full systems over getting the vertical slice into a showable state.

Item 2.0, Subsumption AI, Subsumption Mission System and asynchronous Object Container Streaming are all core systems that will power Squadron 42. In addition, there is some significant low level animation and lighting tech that we need to finish up to realize the goal of real time player interactions and conversations at a level that would previously only be possible with pre-rendered cinematics. We want moving around and talking to the crew to be as fluid and look as good as pre-rendered cut scenes from other games.

Finally, we wanted to be able to focus the team on getting 2.6 out the door and knew we didn’t have much time left in the year to do this (as hard as it is to believe CitizenCon was only 9 weeks ago, which isn’t very long in development terms). One of the lessons we learned from the last CitizenCon was that by attempting to show both the VS and Homestead, we overloaded our pipeline. Even with a team of our size, working on two big deliverables for the same release window becomes problematic because things can take longer or turn out more complicated than expected, and when there are tricky-to-solve bugs or performance issues, we need to assign our top developers, which usually ends up being longer than we like and takes them away from core tech development, pushing back the schedule on later releases. Last year’s release of 2.0 and the 3.0 preview at Gamescom worked so well, because there was a clear priority and everyone came together with a singular focus to deliver them on the ascribed dates.

Since CitizenCon we’ve been working towards 2.6 as our priority, with Squadron 42 core tech being second priority, followed by 3.0 development. Almost all Squadron 42 core tech is also needed for 3.0 and the aspects that aren’t, like Networking, have their own team who don’t get distracted by Squadron as it’s a single player game.

So while it may be disappointing not to see something this year on Squadron 42, I believe it’s the best choice for the long term good of both Squadron 42 and Star Citizen. It’s critical that we focus on finishing up the core systems we’ve designed to handle the needs of both games, as without them, other parts of the development team are blocked from finalizing key gameplay.
It is all of your support and patience that allows us to make difficult decisions like this and we greatly appreciate it as it is allowing us to create what we believe will be a very special set of games in Squadron 42 and Star Citizen.

One thing that I think helps to understand the challenges of working on such a big complex project in the open is the visibility into our internal schedules. Sharing the 2.6 schedule was an experiment that a lot of people internally were very worried about but now everyone agrees it was the right move as transparency helps build trust.

As such we will be applying the same visibility to 3.0 and ultimately Squadron 42, although it will take a little time to get them ready for public consumption. We are still in the process of finalizing sub tasks and getting updated bids on the tasks from the appropriate team members, and this in turn has been slowed down by their focus on getting 2.6 finished.

For now, please join us for the live stream to have some fun with the devs and let’s celebrate all the great stuff we have now in Star Citizen 2.6, as there’s a lot of it!

-- Chris Roberts

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

jesus gently caress

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

a snapshot of the r/starcitizen reddit courtesy of friend G0RF

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

Spatial posted:

I crafted a fantastic device. It will open a portal to another world. A world of dreams...

It just needs to mounted on the top of a Christmas tree like so; the power of the pledge will do the rest. Whoa, it's shaking already!

Powering up!!

WHOA IT'S OUT OF CONTROLLLLL

*poof*

awesome.

that stream was art. Somehow they managed to outdo Chris playing 2.0 from last year.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

new thread title please.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

https://clips.twitch.tv/relay_sc/CarefulVultureCougarHunt

fuuuuucckkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

A Neurotic Corncob fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 16, 2016

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

2.6 patch notes

quote:

Star Citizen Patch 2.6.0i
Welcome to Star Citizen Alpha Patch 2.6.0i, Evocati new and old! For the complete 2.6.0 PTU patch notes for the very exciting launch, you can find them this space here
Your launcher should show “2.6.0-488815” as the client version. It is strongly recommended that players delete their USER folder for the Live client after patching, particularly if you start encountering any odd character graphical issues or crash on loading. The USER folder can be found (in default installations) at C:\Program Files\Cloud Imperium Games\StarCitizen\Public.
Please do take full advantage of the PTU Issue Council to report any bugs you encounter, as well as contribute to other players submissions.
Important Issues
New! Crusader is currently disabled so that players can focus testing efforts on Arena Commander and Star Marine. New! Be advised that you will need to restart the client after every Star Marine or Arena Commander match or you will be unable to join a new match. Star Marine Leaderboards are not in-game this build. Our planned Electronic Access improvements for sequential map loading (“mega map”) are not in this build. Scan is not complete, please refrain from using it (“Tab” key on default keybindings). Missile rebalance is ongoing. Flight Balance Changes to include AB, Acceleration, Boost, Fuel Rates, and Jerk are ongoing. Updates[
Fixed a number of issues within the new frontend interface. Fixed a number of collision issues in Echo Eleven and Station Demien. Fixed a number of glitches with various props around Echo Eleven and Station Demien. Fixed a number of client and server crashes. Back to top

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

grenades are IN

the social module

A Neurotic Corncob fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 17, 2016

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5it20l/today_was_an_amazing_day/

quote:

Today was an amazing day. I was home to watch the Holiday Live Stream. Jarred and Tyler's 2.6 gameplay video was amazing. Laugh out Loud funny. CIG gave us an amazing live event. The flaws in the audio were amazing. They poured gasoline on the troll fire burning beneath the bridge. The flaws in the presentation sieved out the rubble leaving only rocks beholden. It left behind believers. The Citizens that know what this project really means. The Citizens with families. The still human beings. Thank you Sandy. Thank you Chris. Thanks you all...for all of this.

has anyone said not a cult yet?

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

ELE

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

I didn't make any livestream predictions, but I'm going to make one for the aftermath:

This is the last time we see or hear from Disco Lando on one of these streams.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

ewe2 posted:

And as always, Derek Smart was right.

bravo

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5ixkl4/an_open_letter_to_cig_from_someone_who_actually/

quote:

If you could some up everything in this letter to a single, concise, point, it would be that. You have lost our trust. Your practices and decisions, NOT the rate of development or the ambition of the project, are the cause of this. Yet you don’t seem to get that. As I said in the beginning, I’m not just some random or self-entitled voice here. Many of you have spoken at great length with me. Many of you and the community know me. I want this project to succeed. I want it to succeed so badly I could cry. But I’m also not a fool. Remember, CIG, that we, the community, your customers, are the watchman that will try to keep you from falling into all the bad business practices that plague this industry. It is your job to listen to us and to take us seriously. Because without us, you…are nothing but yet another failed crowdfunded project. So, I stand here, pleading with tears in my eyes, fix yourselves. Please.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

another shill article to add to the pile - Star Citizen FPS Star Marine Now Live

quote:

Ambitious hybrid game Star Citizen sees the introduction of its highly anticipated FPS segment, called Star Marine, featuring two maps and two game modes.

Fans of Star Citizen will be happy to know that developer Cloud Imperium Games today released the first-person shooter section of the game in early access, ready to be tested by the PC-gaming public. The segment, called Star Marine, was once promised to be “more lethal” than Call of Duty and has had fans of the hybrid game excited for months.

First announced in the patch notes for the latest build of Star Citizen on the game’s official subreddit, the Star Marine section comes with two playable maps for now, as well as two game modes. The first, elimination, is an all-out brawl where it’s every man for himself and the devil take the hindmost. The second mode is called last stand and is more tactical, involving four control points that are fought over by two teams of players.

Not that Star Marine is the entire update – players will be able to play a new game mode called Arena Commander while in their space ship, which involves increasingly powerful waves of pirates coming at the player as they struggle to survive. There are also a large number of cosmetic tweaks, such as enhanced control of the third-person camera as well as a laundry list of new ships to choose from.

The breadth of the patch shows off the ambition that drives the developers of Star Citizen. The team is headed up by Chris Roberts of Wing Commander fame and from the start of its development over five years ago has promised to offer gamers everything they could hope for. If players wanted relief from the thrill of space combat they would be able to trade or explore, once their desire for adrenaline kicked in again they could suit up and fight FPS style. No wonder, then, that Star Citizen shattered all records by raking in over $100 million in Kickstarter donations.

Worries about Star Citizen’s feature creep persist, though the game is likely not going to be another No Man’s Sky. It’s just taking a lot longer than expected: the story mode was delayed recently and the developers have been a cagey about the exact release date, especially since it has been moved up so many times already. One backer even got his Kickstarter donation refunded after he complained to the California authorities claiming that “the product remains unfulfilled and no longer constitutes the product(s) I originally purchased.”

This new update is a an exciting step in the right direction for Star Citizen’s backers and should keep them going as the game is finished by its developer.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

I am v hyped about the Quaalude42 date sticking. Gonna be a barn-burner that one.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt3rwd1UGvs

lol

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

"Vanessa making sure you can take a good nap!" [Imgur from Sandi]

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

SC Product Lifecycle chart has been updated

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

https://gfycat.com/EsteemedCarelessDairycow

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

he's referring to the dog and pony show they give all the whales who drop by for a tour.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

Massive Self-Owns 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/5jjxcg/derek_smart_on_twitter_i_heard_that/dbhse3x/

A Neurotic Corncob fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 22, 2016

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

2 more days left until the break, hopefully this latest patch can get rid of the stability issues and they can push it straight to live.

oh.... :/

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/811989438926422016

get. hype.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

CIG dropping exclusives to German magazines again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5jz740/squadron_42_and_star_citizen_alpha_30_sneak_peek/

SQ42 -

3.0 -

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

Press Release: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/hr6txd91ghvyur/source/SC-And-Lumberyard-FINAL.pdf

quote:

“We’ve been working with Amazon for more than a year, as we have been looking for a
technology leader to partner with for the long term future of Star Citizen and Squadron 42,” said Chris
Roberts, CIG’s CEO and creative director.

open development.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

wtfosaurus had alot of confused feelings about the announcement.

https://www.twitch.tv/wtfosaurus/v/109403591?t=04h32m50s

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/lowtax/status/812743990256828416

lol

merry christmas everyone!

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/364217

Chris Roberts posted:

Lumberyard and StarEngine are both forks from the exactly the SAME build of CryEngine.

We stopped taking new builds from Crytek towards the end of 2015. So did Amazon. Because of this the core of the engine that we use is the same one that Amazon use and the switch was painless (I think it took us a day or so of two engineers on the engine team). What runs Star Citizen and Squadron 42 is our heavily modified version of the engine which we have dubbed StarEngine, just now our foundation is Lumberyard not CryEngine. None of our work was thrown away or modified. We switched the like for like parts of the engine from CryEngine to Lumberyard. All of our bespoke work from 64 bit precision, new rendering and planet tech, Item / Entity 2.0, Local Physics Grids, Zone System, Object Containers and so on were unaffected and remain unique to Star Citizen.

Going forward we will utilize the features of Lumberyard that make sense for Star Citizen. We made this choice as Amazon's and our focus is aligned in building massively online games that utilize the power of cloud computing to deliver a richer online experience than would be possible with an old fashioned single server architecture (which is what CryNetwork is).

Looking at Crytek's roadmap and Amazon's we determined that Amazon was investing in the areas we were most interested in. They are a massive company that is making serious investments into Lumberyard and AWS to support next generation online gaming. Crytek doesn't have the resources to compete with this level of investment and have never been focused on the network or online aspects of the engine in the way we or Amazon are. Because of this combined with the fact we weren't taking new builds of CryEngine we decided that Amazon would be the best partner going forward for the future of Star Citizen.

Finally there was no ulterior motive in the timing of the announcement. The deal wasn't fully finalized until after the release of 2.5 and we agreed with Amazon to announce the switch and partnership upon the release of 2.6, which would be the first release on Lumberyard and AWS. If you have been checking out our schedule updates you would know that we originally had hoped to release 2.6 at the beginning of December, not Friday the 23rd!

I hope this clears up some of the speculation I have seen. We are very excited to be partnered with Amazon and feel this move is a big win for Star Citizen and by extension everyone that has backed the project.

p.s. I wont be replying to this as it is Christmas and I am meant to be enjoying a bit of time off with my family (and playing some games - you may see me pop into a Star Marine or AC match or two!)

p.p.s Happy Holidays All!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5k8l1x/im_done_this_project_is_a_joke_and_i_regret/