Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.
Star Citizer: Complaining about bugs is like harassing your unborn son about chores

e: first post on SA, can anyone spot me taxxe until I figure out how to post a second image in a post?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grubby Hobo fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.
Thank you, O wizard of video goodness.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

A much better way to judge the performance of this MMO is to play it without any other players, and, you know, not as an MMO at all.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

Shadowlyger posted:

For how little content they actually put out, I find it hard to believe they have four hundred people working on this. I mean what the gently caress are all those people doing, twiddling their thumbs in their cubicles all day long?

You've never worked for a really lovely manager, have you?

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

The Titanic posted:

I don't understand what he's tying to do here? :confused:

He is emulating his hero, and making a big wind, to no ultimate purpose.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

Sillybones posted:

I don't mean to be weird, but, isn't 100+ ships maybe too many for a game to have? After a point it is surely a detriment to the overall design and gameplay, especially for a pvp/competitive game.

It would be, but the people working out that combinatorial nightmare of balance are actual college graduates. So no biggie.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

The diehard citizens sound so desperate, so pathetic, these days, that some of the sport has gone out of taunting and vexing them. It's like shooting sharks in a barrel.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

nnnotime posted:

As it stands Sunk Cost Fallacy reigns supreme. With the ongoing churn of the dropping out of jaded old-believers and the acquisition of naive new-believers, this scheme could live on for several more years if nothing drastically changes at House Roberts.

I wonder about that. Things are becoming real now, and there will inevitably be more and more ways for backers to compare the fantasies they've nursed for years, with the real game in front of them.

If you look at it that way, "Mining in Q2," and not part of any future roadmap item, is not just unlikely, it's impossible. Delay it two more quarters and it's still impossible. The minute CIG says "we're done with this feature," then that one thing is no longer an Alpha, but a completed feature. It's either a good enough mechanic for the backers, or it isn't. There's nowhere to hide.

It's a good bet that that's why actual gameplay has been so long delayed. Once a gameplay feature is done, the quantum state of being all things to all collapses into one thing, which can be judged and compared.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

nopantsjack posted:

lol they're still waiting for item 2.0?

what even is item 2.0? its been around the corner for years

The best Star Citizen milestones are vaguely-defined.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

Cashier: Thank you for shopping at Safeway. Did you find everything you need today?

SHACKELTON_ENT: No. You are out of Hamburger Helper. I, the Free Market, am come. Fulfill my dinner fantasy or I will crawl inside you and eat your soul.

Cashier: Let me call my supervisor.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

Bootcha posted:

I'll be here in my corner, crying over what transpired, agonizing over my life choices, to the tune of a NIN cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEuY6-UM8VI

Holy poo poo, that is brilliant, right up through the last line.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

**** There are not multiple types of gas, or even one type of gas, and mechanic is not yet designed

There is argon. There is always argon. There will always be argon. Guaranteed.*

* Not a guarantee

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

phosdex posted:

I hopped in the other guys ship because I knew I'd never figure out how to fly my own. I had problems with horizontal stuff too at the ship retrieval console, if you go too far left/right you stop "using" it. Probably should have waited for that guy to fly around but the low frame rate was driving me nuts.

Also I don't think you can really tell in the video, but when I walked on that guy's ship, the ramp was going up. That vertical movement was transferred to my char and continued until I hit the ceiling even though I was no longer on the ramp.

My favorite part was the door comedy. First you tried to get out of the wank room, and the door closed before you could do it. Overcoming that obstacle, you came upon an NPC standing in front of a closed door, staring at it, and, as you approached, he walked away , as though he was giving up in disgust at the possibility of ever getting that door open.

When they finish the game, I hope the final boss is some kind of huge angry door.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

Wow. These just keep getting better.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

As a coder, I stand aghast at this server meshing business.

CIG: Our servers mesh, and dynamically adjust to focus computing power on smaller areas of space, so that we can have 1,000 multi-crewed high-fidelity ships in a small area.

Me: Dude. Wow, that's impressive technology! How did you make that perform well?

CIG: It's just a marketing idea. But we are confident that our high-turnover crew of cheap recent grads can pull it off.

e: Thanks for the awesome avatar, mysterious stranger!

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

Star Citizen is the purest game there is because you can shoot literal money at other players.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

I cannot stop cracking up over this.

"Don't you understand? They have Crobberts bears! Hundreds of them! They will never give up!"

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

Straightening your intestinal tract works. But you don't need a footstool to do that.

Once had to use an Asian squat toilet. That I did it without soiling my pants will make my "top 5 achievements" list.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

Burning with curiosity about the goings-on at the Whale Dinner

Crowd breaks into spontaneous applause when the first dinner course comes out: procedurally-generated eggs

One lucky whale wins the door prize - 5 minutes of conversation with an actual female

Fun parlor game - how many whales have to be gathered together before they can clip through the floor of the break room?

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

GameStop should follow CIG's example. Give a kid a $60 gift card, he walks into the store and grabs a $60 game, and the cashier says "Sorry kid, fresh cash only. You still owe another $10."

Except that's not how they're working it. No mixes of cash and credit. You want that sweet sweet LTI warranty? All cash or GTFO.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

Try to imagine a real VP of marketing who would roll out a controversial cash grab right before the big whale promotional dinner.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

Amazing Zimmo posted:

The fact that backers all remember CRoberts going on record saying that LTI doesn't matter anymore has got them confused and worried that now it will, this has resulted in some of the more vocal backers finally saying that the 'game' is P2W.

It must be confusing to Crobberts. The backers have no idea what LTI really is, but they want it, badly.

It's kind of telling that they thought "if it was only offered to cash purchasers, it must be really really good." Some part of their brain is catching on.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

I'm the friend who, after a hard day flipping burgers at a Fortune 500 company, unwinds by spending hours as Scanner Peon on some whale's ship.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

Here's what is the most funny about the LTI/warbond dustup this week, to me, at least.

Without intending to, CIG created a game, one involving ship melting and CCU and tokens, and people were playing it and enjoying themselves. Even better, it was a profitable game, because players would toss in a few bucks to reach that new ship they wanted, when the trade-in wasn't quite enough. It was a bona fide CIG success, with actual players of the game, and actual revenue.

So naturally CIG didn't care, and screwed up the game balance so people don't want to play any more.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

Anyone else getting a "Charlie Sheen in full meltdown" vibe off of that?

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

G0RF, you are a treasure. Scanning the thread, I always pause at your posts, knowing I'm in for a time of reading, digesting, and thinking. Now you've got me convinced that there will be a THING, and I can't wait to see it.

But couldn't it just be more of the same stupid crap instead?

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

Say, if I have my B'tak slider set to "leave me alone" aka solipsism, what happens when a Goon Ship crashes into my expensive Chariot? Does it bounce off?

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

The THING will be an RSI branded poopstool for high-fidelity poopers. This will trigger the true ELE: A poopstool lawsuit.

Shrink your ship down, and it could fight tapeworms in the high-fidelity poop. Eat a diamond in the cafeteria, and you could mine that diamond with your tiny ship. Kernels of undigested corn could confer LTI privileges on your bought-with-credit ships.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

Question: If you were CIG, what would you do if you wanted to succeed from this point?

Here's my answer: a card game, based on the only successful game CIG has shipped. It would be called Perfect Fleet. You could buy a card for any ship or tonk or hoverbike or token that you own. It would be very much PTW, but that would not be stated. The cards would be beautiful and ornate, and would have a validation code that you could verify on a page as representing real, current ownership. They could sell carrying cases for the cards, with an exclusive ostrich-leather version for concierge. Maybe they could get a Prada logo on the Grand Admiral version.

The "LTI" cards would have an especially dramatic design, and would say "LTI, motherfucker" in ornate script, engraved with real gold foil.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

That's wonderful.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

Yeah, I think Sandi might veto a free rig for "topless island beach bunny" guy.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

At the risk of boring everyone...there's this argument I've seen on the Reddit cesspool, and it goes like this:

"Of course it's taking a really long time for CIG to implement bind culling. They had to rewrite CryEngine to do what they wanted!"

Words cannot describe how much this jangles me, and all I imagine I know about coding. Do I have to take these people to code Kindergarten?

Lesson 1: If you are REWRITING code, and you know you will need BIND CULLING, then you REWRITE it in such a way that it will be EASY to add BIND CULLING.

Lesson 2: If they did not do that, then they are FUCKUPS. End of story.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

The Titanic posted:

Here's the problem I see with this, and something that always sticks out in all things CIG does.

To implement features like this involves a certain degree of dedication to the project. A dedication that you need to realize that not only is the project hard, but it will also be very time consuming.

This is where good project management steps in place.

When some marketing guys says "oh and I need this too!!!" The project manager says "ok, let's log that and we'll get to it after this project."

The project manager manages to keep a large group of people well organized over a long period of time, helping to break down complex concepts into smaller bits and pieces that people can manageable do within a logical time frame.

They slowly chew through ever smaller pieces until one day the last piece is done, and they now have a completed item, hopefully having been doing good QA along the way so they don't break it as soon as it goes live.

The problem with CIG is that Chris Roberts either is the project manager, or he is the marketing guy; except he doesn't take no for an answer.

So what you end up with is a lot of tiny branches, full of bits of code that keep getting abandoned, and then probably restarted, and then abandoned again, and then restarted except it's all out of date now... and ultimately nothing big gets done.

What you do finish in "mini projects". So the dev team need to take stuff, and figure out how to build it in between Chris coming up with his next idea everybody needs to work on ASAP.

This can be a benefit and a curse though. The benefit is you are releasing a huge array of wildly different things and it looks like you are making non stop progress on a lot of stuff.

The downfall here is everything that is time consuming is never done. This means very low level core stuff remains "broken" or endlessly "buggy". There's no real tie together for all these little mini systems, either. They exist solely for their singular purpose and probably don't play well with the stuff around them.

This is how I feel CIG works. I could be wrong, but I've experienced it many times before, too.

Sigh. You are, unfortunately, correct. There is no coder so good that his efforts cannot be undermined by a sufficiently bad manager.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

Someone needs to show this passage from Foundation to Chris so we can have more scope creep.

Wienis stared at the king's hunting suit morosely.

"You'll have more important things to tend to than Nyak hunting soon enough."

He turned his back and stumped to his desk. Since he had grown too old for the rush of air, the perilous dive within wing-beat of the Nyak, the roll and climb of the speedster at the motion of a foot, he had soured upon the whole sport. Lepold appreciated his uncle's sour-grapes attitude and it was not without malice that he began enthusiastically,

"But you should have been with us today, uncle. We flushed one in the wilds of Sarnia that was a monster. And game as they come. We had it out for two hours over at least seventy square miles of ground. And then I got to Sunwards -- he was motioning graphically, as though he were once more in his speedster -- and dived torque-wise. Caught him on the rise just under the left wing at quarters. It maddened him and he canted athwart. I took his dare and veered a-left, waiting for the plummet. Sure enough, down he came. He was within wing-beat before I moved and then..."

"Lepold!"

"Well!-- I got him."

e: Price List

Hunting suit: $170 (Warbond, with LTI), $230 (store credit)
Speedster: $1275 (Warbond, with LTI), $1520 (store credit)
Play as a Nyak bird: $12/time (Warbond) $20/time (store credit)
Canting athwart: $3/time (Warbond) $5/time (store credit)

Grubby Hobo fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 12, 2018

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

And if by chance an honest man like yourself should make enemies, they will see the gold trim of your ship, and then they will fear you.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

The Titanic posted:

He's wearing a Wing Commander shirt, and the title is how it all started, so I'm assuming this is Chris at the beginning?

You know back then he probably didn't have millions of dollars to afford the more realistic hair pieces he can adorn now.

A simpler time, a simpler toupee. :trustme:

He could have joined the Monkees with that one, no audition required.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

G0RF posted:

Chris Roberts challenges YOU to a staring contest!

Am I the only one picking up some weird signaling in this ATV?

Ricky’s update makes me wonder if either Mining will get pushed backto 3.3 or 3.2 will miss the target date.

“Implementing feedback from Chris Roberts...” (If this applies to Snoopy Caps, it goes without saying it would apply to the all important visuals associated with the tractor beam...)

(And oh, look, FPS AI bears all the hallmarks of years worth of diligent work. (Next stop, ‘Saurus’s visions of machine learning that will lead to NPCs so realistic we will mistake them for players...)

(Wot’s this? Yet another new set of damage state reworksfor a ship rework!

Zane has an Early Days spin talking about doing the best they could with the time allocated.

And Chris and Sandi look unusually nervous, with Chris including that “it’s a lot of work” line in the abrupt edit wrap-up right before ship shape. And he’s talking about in-game kiosks...

It all feels preparatory for an as yet undisclosed disappointment. Maybe I’m reading too much into it but this one seems pretty skittish. It’s weird. Maybe Mining will be in and be fun, it’ll go to Evocati and 3.2 will hit in June. But this didn’t feel like a confident outing at all...

I agree. They look nervous. The caption I'd put on this is

"Chris Roberts finally engages with the game development process, discovers it's hard."

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

The Titanic posted:

This is no doubt very unfortunate, and if not true, likely will be with enough time. I have no doubt a lot of key people are millionaires, and all the people trying to do the actual work are making peanuts and jellybeans. It will be tough. If they aren't out yet but are afraid, my biggest suggestion is to start looking now. Once they land something hand in a good 2-week notice, then leave amicably and without drama.

This is kind and correct. A good thing about being an engineer is that when you go to the next job, it's all about what you did.

Did you rework a serious piece of code to make it dance, and it did, but the crappy company never shipped it? Yeah, you get credit for that, if you can explain to the technical interviewer exactly what you did.

Did you solve some horrible bug in a doomed project? Yeah, you get credit for that, if you can explain how you found it and what you did about it.

The fate of the middle manager of a failed company is not nearly so happy. It failed, so you suck.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

Hav posted:

Ditto, and i will add to any of them that read this thread that commercial programming is viable and ‘fun’ if you enjoy misery in groups, and that sometimes you have to eat poo poo a couple of times before you hit ‘comfort’.

Dude. Work for smaller companies is not like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

Hav posted:

I wasn’t expressing anything along those lines. I’ve worked at scale from 5 - 10,000 employee companies and it takes a while to find a fit. Games programming isn’t the only thing out there, and sometimes you have to walk from a flaming wreck to get a better gig.

Oh. Sorry for my comprehension failure then. All of what you wrote above is nothing but truth. Especially the flaming wreck part.

e: gotta add: sometimes it is worth sticking around a flaming wreck for far too long, because learning the patterns of late stage failure can be as useful as other things you may learn.

Grubby Hobo fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 19, 2018