Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Wow, new OP. I guess this means the game shipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Hmm... who do we know that likes to go around accusing men of not having balls... hmm.... hm.... could it be.... SANDI

<churchlady.gif goes here>

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

tooterfish posted:

Yes. Christmas 2117.

Optimist.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Lol, he's the guy that was threatening to kill me over voice chat because I didn't follow eBushido playing Arena Commander. IIRC he got banned from the RSI forums for similar anger outburst.

Reassuring to know he actually knows how to kill, unlike most of the other death threats I get.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Beet Wagon posted:

https://twitter.com/SeanNoonan/status/804835495171817472

Have you tried... making something good? If CIG put out something legitimately good and fun I'd play it in a heartbeat.

I am programmed for more than just hate.

Nice to see all of 4chan is in the double secret closed alpha. Meanwhile 2.6 still isn't even on the PTU yet. Unless of course people are declaring that Star Marine is good without actually playing it yet. But no one would ever do that, right?

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I don't even quite understand why people get up in arms about there being queer characters and characters of color and women characters and etc. Why does this bother them? Why does there need to be some plot-specific reason for all the characters to not be heterosexual, hypertrophied Teutonic demigods in homosocial settings? Do all the characters need to be attractive to the player? ...

Every time Bioware does a homosexual character its always tacked on and doesn't actually add to the character; Like Bioware is going through a multiculturalism checklist before release to keep the angry bloggers happy. But now that I criticized Bioware that makes me a homophobe.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

The Titanic posted:

o7 is a salute. Like a guy's head and arm. All other versions of it are mockery. Apparently it is big in the simulator circles.

I always struggle with that one because you don't salute with the left hand.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

But I still don't get it. What does a character's sexuality add in general? It's probably going to be there, even if there's not a romance subplot, if it's a character at least part of the audience can identify with. So what does being straight or asexual add to a character that other sexualities don't? Why stick to that as a point of critique? I can understand if you say they actually just handle writing queer characters badly. Like instead of making this character a real part of the cast, they have no actual role in the story at all and they're just here to pipe in at bad moments "hello, fellow gays." I've never really felt that way about Bioware's smattering of LGB characters, but perhaps others do. (I've had other issues with Bioware's characters, but not that particular issue.)

Sexuality alone does not add anything to the story, but Bioware likes to tack it on anyway without bothering to introduce the partner as another in-game character or backstory. I'm mostly talking Dragon Age 2 and 3 here. Mass Effect probably had GLB characters too, but I don't remember or didn't notice. The fact that I didn't notice means the writer did their job well.

So the overall impression I get is: "Wow, that sure was a lot of work smashing all those Orc skulls. Sure must be hard being the chosen one and all. Maybe we need to overthrow the king and murder his kids to get things done around here. Also I'm gay." It's jarring and seems out of character. Why bring it up? They want to make sure the Player gets to romance someone. Which is probably the root of the issue.

A lot of these characters are expected to romance the PC (all cringe inducing PC-NPC romance aside), which introduces a lot of practicality problems. But rather that just make the dialog mostly generic and let anyone romance anyone else Bioware chooses to clearly define which NPCs are LGB with a couple throw-away lines.

Scifi/Fantasy works out best slipping social issues as a parable. Where the writer uses a fantasy people to represent a real-world persecuted group. Bioware is overly overt on the topic, which isn't wrong per se, but it seems inconsistent when their medieval setting. I know a lot of people are really happy that Bioware treats being GLBT as interesting as being left-handed, but their execution is sloppy at best.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Samizdata posted:

Actually, I feel the issue is that most people that would actually care about a LGBT option would look at what Bioware was offering and see them throwing something in at the last minute, relatively speaking, just so they can pull a CIG, pat themselves on the back and say "Look how progressive we are!" basically cheapening the thing right down the line.

That's my take as well. I've had two different people tell me (to my face while drinking my booze) I'm a bigot for thinking Witcher 3 is a better game than Dragon Age 3 precisely because DA3 is progressive (and witcher obvious is not) The cynic in me says Bioware does it to prevent internet backlash and get cheap sales.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

actually the original DA had a pretty interesting romance sideplot that i thought really added to the plot, but unfortunately i don't recall it being followed up in a satisfying way during the expansion, and i haven't played the sequels. my (female) PC romanced alistair, then morganna or w/e the witch in black's name was convinced my PC to ask alistair to knock the witch up with his gray warden baby, and poo poo got weird. it was pretty arthurian but i don't know if bioware ever did anything w/r/t a payoff in DA3.

Of course not. They forgot all about it and the sequels had you roll a new character. Which is too bad, I'd really like to see an RPG with crazy romance sideplots made worse by the player's choices.

You're better off not playing the sequels. DA2 and DA3 had interesting characters but terrible gameplay.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Sunswipe posted:

How the hell does anyone think that's an appropriate question to ask someone? I think the closest I've got to that is someone asking me which hand I wank with when they found out I'm left-handed, and that doesn't come close to how not ok asking for exact details of how someone fucks is.

Clearly they have no creativity and are boring people.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

no_recall posted:

I'm just going to leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YESNObZJTgQ

Seems like everything Star Citizen isn't.

I wish Elite was 10% as fun as that video makes the game look.

Ironically Elite is the boring carebear hugbox trucking simulator that the SC spergs are demanding SC to be, but they refuse to play Elite.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

MeLKoR posted:

The problem isn't that the interesting/sane parts of "Star Citizen" can't be made, it's that it can't be made by these people. They have gone about it the worst way possible since day one and failed at every single thing since they have attempted ever since, except unscrupulously fleecing sad nerds of their money.

There are a handful of early decisions that I think CIG did better than FDev, but over the last few years CIG consistently hosed up. Either through scope creep, overpromising, or lack of focus.

The early promise of "We're going to do a combat arena, then turn that into a single system, then slowly start adding systems", Seemed like a good plan for making a focused space combat game. But now its 2016, CIG has not shown any SQ42 gameplay, nor shown any capital scale ships, and has not even managed to expand the game past dogfighting. Instead they talk about prodecural planets and an FPS game mode outside of the core universe.

CIG totally fuckedup what was a reasonable goal and have lost all focus on actually making a space game.

The rumor is that CIG is hiring rookies right out of college to get the game done. What he doesn't realize is that 5 rookies contributes less than 1 veteran programmer; and rookies generally cause more damage than solve problems.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

1500 posted:

But that was not the early promise. The early promise was to develop everything in tandem and release it all at once. This was the excuse of why it would take longer to release something, but that something would have way more in it. This adding systems and such come after it became clear CIG was not making progress and could only work on a single thing at a time.

I'm referring to their alpha vertical slices, not the final "release" of the game. But my overall point is that Elite planned on generating thousands of star systems and adding gameplay and content later. CIG's plan was to start from a smaller set of systems then expand outward.

Which results in elite being massive game where you play for hours and never encounter another player, which IMHO is dumb; but some people like it that way.

Eldragon fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 8, 2016

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Sunswipe posted:

Maybe it's because pizza is overpriced cheese on toast for wankers? :shrug:

Just means you don't know how/where to get good pizza. There are of course dark horrible places where good pizza is impossible to get unless you make it yourself. Maybe derek lives in one of those places.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I mean I'm irrationally irritated at how loving stupid that is. 900 years in the future and they need five guys running around doing some bullshit choreography from when giant airplanes were launched with steam off of ships.

Gee, I wonder how other space sims do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15zbowAlZPs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SI1CB4rcf8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLvVqRPVSWI

Yeah it definitely makes more sense to have five guys sit around getting ready to take a face full of plasma exhaust.

You must also really hate Star Wars.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

ShredsYouSay posted:

Wait saying the Holocaust was bad is sjw now?

Like yeah you get some bell ends who are insufferable, but generally those attacked as sjws are good and chill folk.

Also why do games bring out the worst in people?

Its not that games bring out the worst in people; the internet brings out the worst in people. Its easy to be a keyboard warrior flinging poo poo you'd never say to a person's face.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Still holding out on that refund. Partially because I kind of hope some lovely game still comes out of this, but mostly because I enjoy poking them with a stick on the RSI forums.

Course having all my Pixel ships disappear off the RSI forums after I request a refund would be hilarious.

Klyith posted:

the aircraft carrier mocap was awful but it did induce me to go watch youtubes of carrier deck guys doing the real thing which are pretty neat

also the most realistic space fighter launch was, as with pretty much any other thing you could care to name, in babylon 5. in that they just dropped them out of the bottom of the ship.

because their ship was spinning for artificial gravity, so all you have to do is just let go and the fighter "falls" away.

weird how all the future spaceships with some kind of gravity generators need so much more complicated mechanisms.

Agreed. Its weird how spergy nerds get over "realism". Its an amazing confluence of half-thought out science, misconceptions, and expectations seen in other sci-fi.

Babylon 5 did a great job of mixing realism with sci-fantasy. Only thing I would change about their ships is they should be using counter-rotating sections to offset the in torque induced by the spin.

Eldragon fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 9, 2016

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Propagandist posted:

Can someone explain to me why they need to launch ships from a carrier as if they need to pick up speed and create lift?

It's space. Just kick the thing out.

They mocapped (apparently multiple times, including one karate/hilarity version) a guy on the deck doing some kind of flight check. Why.

Why does the ship need to go fast? Why. What the hell is wrong with these people?

Did no one say "hey um it's in space so"

Anyway, happy Friday everyone.

Rule of cool?

You could maybe argue that tossing ships out of the carrier fast helps prevent the fighters from being a sitting duck by an attacking enemy. But the next logical thought is "Why the gently caress do they have fighters in the first place?"

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

MeLKoR posted:

I don't know what Angelarch is bitching about. This was him a year ago.

He got his money's worth already.

He's been turned. He'll demand a refund and come to our loving embrace soon enough.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

This guy didn't create the font. "League of Orbitron" is the SC font

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Fooma posted:

What prevents them from just releasing 2.6 to live as is? It's pre-pre alpha anyway. SM is it's own module ready for pre alpha alpha testing which is all those testers are there to do anyway. PU not really as affected worse than it already is. It's not like it's being released to a live game with a hostile audience.

By creating the secret "Avocadi" (or whatever they are called) testers CIG simultaneously:

1- creates the illusion of progress while hiding all the problems under an NDA.
2- Shame all the backers who are not in the secret group, encouraging many to kiss rear end even harder in the hopes that they can get in some day.
3- Create divides among the community between those who are "in the know" and those that are not, e.g. arguments over leaks.

An actual open development game would just create vertical slices of product that focus on stability over features and roll them out as they are ready. None of this big release that needs 4+ months of testing bullshit.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

D_Smart posted:

Yeah. And furthermore.

Still waiting on that ELE.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

DapperDon posted:

Considering I have no idea what a vertical slice is, and frankly whenever I try to look it up, I run into different definitions of what that really means. In the case of this game with so many different modules, what does that mean?

Basically you create a minimal set of features that represent the core premise of the game (or any software project), then you do another "slice" that expands on existing features or adds more features. Each slice represents as small of work as possible, generally 2-6 weeks. Over time and enough iterations of slices you have a viable product that is very stable and focused in its goals. The basic idea is that it forces the developer to only work on what the product "must have", not what would be "nice to have".

Example: If you're going to open a lemonade stand, you need cups and lemonade. You drink the lemonade and make sure it tastes good. That's the first slice. For the second slice you get a cooler and ice. Third slice a bigger sign. etc.

Compare that to "visionary" product managers who lose focus on making lemonade and are more interested in sourcing 10,000 organic lemons because they have dreams of putting Starbucks out of business.

Eldragon fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 14, 2016

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

I know some of you are MWO goons. Have you seen the Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries announcement?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz8Y1V8gy1A&list=LLy1GDK2ZYTwvh1h7UashS_g&index=1

Yes, and I'm going to patiently wait and see if :pgi: completely fucks it up.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

And......

http://www.pcgamesn.com/mechwarrior-online-now-has-gold-plated-mechs-they-ll-set-you-back-500

If MW5 is good, it will be like the early days of MWO: They did it on accident, which they soon corrected and turned to poo poo.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

What I don't understand is why this guy (and may others) can make post after post saying "X release is in Y days!" Then Y+2 weeks comes along and he comes up with an excuse and says "X release is just Z days away!" and he does this... forever.

Like seriously what is the breaking point? What kind of hosed up mind just makes up the idea "3.0 is done" and runs with it, and is 100% convinced it is true, we he himself made it up.

What happens to him if the game does not live up to his dreams, let alone CIG sputters out as the backer money runs out.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Does this mean the extinction level even has a date and time? Because My "Derek was right" t-shirts are only going to be worth handing out if we can actually put a date on the tombstone.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

AP posted:

Not finding the exact time stamp but the recent video of 4 talking heads from INN I linked a while back had Erris admitting he hadn't had Star Citizen installed for most of this year. I think most of the most committed Citizens aren't actually that interested in pc games, which helps to explain why they fall for the constant "never been attempted before" poo poo that CIG lies about.

So the dude is living in dream land, and does not need to install and actually play the game, it can be an article of faith alone that the game is good. He is going to crash hard.

I still at least install the PTU version with every release. If for no other reason I can actually know what I'm talking about when I poo poo on CIG's fuckups.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

AP posted:

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/809512851085922304

CIG been awful quiet this week moma, I hope everything is ok with the sale.

"Big News" being 2.6 is delayed.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

1- Sandi pretends to get emotional.
2- Chris moves the goalposts.
3- CIG introduces another concept sale.
4- CIG shows a video that doesn't actually represent in-game gameplay.
5- The backers declare it the best presentation ever.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

I actually would have been perfectly happy with the game never having more than 24 players. So its heavily instances or a glorified Coop game, so what? Most of my favorite MP games have fewer players. But now its looking more and more that the "Reduced scope, minimally viable product" won't even happen. LOL.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

his nibs posted:

It's for the best

Everything is for the best, in the best of all possible space sims.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

You know what's more hilarious than blaming you for SC's failure? Someone who thinks Elite is a "fenomenal" game.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Honestly this thread is the best Christmas present I could have ever asked for. I'm learning so much.

I am still waiting for reparations for @Salt4TheSaltGod subjecting my people to the Trail of Tears.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Meridian posted:

Steam sale starting, go get some space games that are actually good.

Serious Post: Which space games are actually good that I should buy?

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

aleksendr posted:

What do you want your space game to do best (exploration ? combat ? trading and crafting ?) and how much are you willing to spend in greenbacks ?

Basically a privateer-like game, but isn't a billion miles wide and 1 inch deep. So more like Rebel Galaxy, and less like Elite Dangerous.

Every couple months I fire up Elite to try and force myself to like it, but I eventually realize I'm not actually having fun and stop.

Meridian posted:

I haven't looked at the sale yet myself, but I would keep an eye out for Rebel Galaxy, Distant Worlds, Battlefleet Gothic: Armada, X3: Terran Conflict and expansion Albion Prelude.

There is also AI War, Space Pirates and Zombies, Endless Space 2 (early access),

Heard Evochron Mercenary is good but haven't played it.

That is a decent spread, covers a few genres.

I haven't played Distant Worlds or Battlefleet Gothic: Armada, I'll look into those. Thanks.

Tippis posted:

Are you willing to accept early access insecurity and jank?

Yes as long as the core gameplay is fun. e.g. "Lost Colony" is amazing even if its janky and ugly as poo poo.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

orcinus posted:

Case in point - my dad's friend, normally the most phlegmatic, stable and benevolent person i can think of, got provoked by a psych evaluator into almost screaming and crying, when he was trying to get his carrying license. Which might seem like a very douchey thing to do to a person, but if just talking to a stranger for 15 minutes can get you to lose your poo poo, maybe you shouldn't be walking around with a gun?

All gun control issues aside, I'm pretty sure a properly trained person can get literally anyone to go into screaming fits after talking to them for 15 minutes. You just got to know what triggers a person, then start pushing that button.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

aleksendr posted:

Your chasing a whale, friend. Some game may scratch the itch but the sweet spot between "being a random cog" in Elite and a "story about me" in Privater has yet to be found.

I would suggest :

https://www.gog.com/game/darkstar_one - Simple, but fun
http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmercenary/index.htm - Complex, maybe too close to Elite for your taste
http://fractalsoftworks.com/ - 2d, need some mods to unleash its full potential
http://store.steampowered.com/app/214730/ - 2d, turn based but plenty of depth.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/2820/ (the superbox is below 10$) - The best "Not Elite" alternative.

The perfect game of this kind does not exist yet, selling the dream is what allowed SC to become such a bloated 140M$ dumpster fire.

Hope you get something fun for christmas ! Myself i will be getting a break from space by shooting tons of weird guns in Defiance http://store.steampowered.com/app/542450/.

Thanks.

There's always the "mod the piss out of the open source privateer" and replay privateer. Which I've been rolling around in my head for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

illectro posted:

And you should go and grab the free Battlestar Galactica Sim : Shattered Armistice
http://diaspora.hard-light.net/

Uses the Freespace II engine, also worth buying.
If you like building stuff then Space Engineers is great, it even does the 'local ship based physics grid' thing.

Yeah, its amazing. My only complaint about it is that its too short.

Also, House of the Dying Sun is also amazing and should by played by anyone who likes star-fighters. It is also too short.