Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

nice meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

*wakes up and drinks my morning coffee*
I wonder how the Star Citizen stream went:

holy poo poo

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

RIP Bind Culling (1 week anniversary)
Message Ordering is postnatally aborted
Serialised variable relies on Message Ordering?? well RIP that too...

:rip: all of the 2.6 network code

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

*Chris shills their open job positions live on the stream*

CIG is attracting top talent

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

PTU is coming in hotter than any previous patch, and has a deadline that is shorter than any previous testing period...

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

In project management, a death march is a project that the participants feel is destined to fail, or that requires a stretch of unsustainable overwork. The general feel of the project reflects that of an actual death march because project members are forced to continue the project by their superiors against their better judgment.

Software development and software engineering are the fields in which practitioners first applied the term to these project management practices. Other fields have since recognized the same occurrence in their own spheres and have adopted the name.

Death marches of the destined-to-fail type usually are a result of unrealistic or overly optimistic expectations in scheduling, feature scope, or both, and often include lack of appropriate documentation or relevant training and outside expertise that would be needed to accomplish the task successfully. The knowledge of the doomed nature of the project weighs heavily on the psyche of its participants, as if they are helplessly watching themselves and their coworkers being forced to torture themselves and march toward death. Often, the death march will involve desperate attempts to right the course of the project by asking team members to work especially grueling hours (14-hour days, 7-day weeks, etc.) or by attempting to "throw (enough) bodies at the problem", often causing burnout.

Often, the discomfort is heightened by the knowledge that "it didn't have to be this way"; that is, that if the company wanted to achieve the goal of the project, it could have done so in a successful way had it been managed competently (such as by devoting the obviously required resources, including bringing all relevant expertise, technology, or applied science to the task rather than just whatever incomplete knowledge a few employees happened to possess). Patent under-resourcing is especially offensive at a large corporation with sufficiently deep pockets; at least at small companies, a gap between resources and needs is understandable, but at large, profitable, cash-rich companies, under-resourcing is not a necessity and thus feels to most workers like stupidity. Business culture pressures, such as the long-noted phenomenon of corporations pursuing short-term maximization of profits via cost cutting or avoidance that is damaging to long-term best interest, may play a role in addition to mere incompetence.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I can't load the stream :argh:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

CIG pushed out a patch on Sunday afternoon.
Not only did Chris cancel an early Christmas, but also the weekend.

quote:

Star Citizen Patch 2.6.0j Patch Notes

Updates:
- Added Player Animations to the Caterpillar’s pilot seat.
- Optimized a number of ships to fix Cockpit LODs and removed duplicate Physics Proxies.
- Increased Thruster HP to avoid easily losing the ability to Afterburn, Boost, and Maneuver.
- Adjusted Missile Timeouts and Lock Loss delays.
- Adjusted Freelancer Radar Globe position to not obstruct the player’s view.
- Adjusted Afterburner speeds.
- Added additional logging info to track down and squish Error Code 30008 Disconnect bugs.
- Added map location callouts for Echo 11.

Fixes:
- Fixed an issue allowing the use of Grenades in Green Zones.
- Fixed an issue preventing the player from hearing FPS Weapon Sounds.
- Fixed an issue causing the Avenger Warlock’s EMP charge level to display for everyone.
- Fixed an issue resulting in the player returning to the hangar after choosing a different location.
- Fixed an issue causing Item Port interaction points to disappear.
- Fixed an issue causing the spectator camera to snap.
- Fixed an issue causing players to T-Pose while idle.
- Fixed an issue causing performance degradation due to physics related to destroyed ships and debris.

Fixed a number of issues with the new Front End UI:
- Port Category lists should no longer become out of sync.
- Port markers now properly deselect when focus is lost.
- Port Items now honor currently applied filters after being updated.
- Adjusted focus interpolation speeds.
- Made many visual tweaks.
- Fixed a number of client and server crashes.

At least Crusader is open again.

Chunks of the patch are missing, and 2.6 PTU somehow broke 2.5. Spending the weekend on a patch that only addresses minor issues must be demoralising. They have only just introduced additional logging to track down their biggest bug, so I don't have much faith that they will get it done by Christmas. They will likely have to push 2.6 to live, even if it is broken. Otherwise players will be stuck over the holidays with a 2.5 that doesn't even let them spawn ships.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 19, 2016

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

That reminds me, can someone explain what the megamap thing is? You can use wavy hands if needed.

Kim Dotcom made a Star Marine map to pwn n00bs on

it's mega

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Star Citizen Whales: A Tale in Three Acts

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Fargin Icehole posted:

Okay, so how is 2.6?

About as good as a $20 indie multiplayer-only shooter that launches DOA, and never manages a full server.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

a really bad argument...

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Erenthal posted:

Did Pgabz lie????

yes, since atmospheric simulation is in.... a sandboxed tech demo.
They showed it off on an ATV episode recently. When/if it will be in the game? :shrug:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

ArfJason posted:

Wile e coyote: who is he trying to fool? Doesnt he know its obvious its a drawing of a tunnel? Look. *runs straight into wall and cartoonishly accordions into a flat circle* see?

Are you trying to tell me that the people who who joined for or only post in this thread are... bad???

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Update on 2.5:

quote:

Support just got back to me this morning, stating that they understand the live version of the game has been rendered unplayable (invisible players, missing ships, bugged hangars and broken AC). Furthermore, they told me that the development team is fully focused on fixing this issue through to push of patch 2.6 which, according to this email, is "to be released live this week."

Just letting those of you with the current 2.5 bug know that it may be a few days before you can play the alpha. The best thing you can do is contribute to the issue council on the RSI website and post in the forums with your symptoms to give the dev team a good idea of what is needing fixing.

Pretty much what I expected. Broken or not, 2.6 is getting released this week.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

TheLightPurges posted:

If you guys arent careful a great user named FaceFuckerMan365 will come nd tear this thread a new orifice with his trolling.

the taint reaper is banned

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I figured this would be the excuse when 2.6 is released broken as poo poo, although I didn't expect it to happen before it's released...

ITS AN ALPHA

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

:negative:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Today's patch doesn't have any of the missing features, and introduced a couple of game breaking bugs.

:tif:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

revenge of the German graphics drivers

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Wise Learned Man posted:

Their refund guy is seriously named scrilla? :psyduck:

one letter/keyboard space away from 'Mad Scrilla'.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

So, the hottest thread on /r/ds isn't even about derek smart, but about Beer getting a refund. Totally an independent sub that is concerned about the blatant falsehoods of a washed up game developer...

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Today's patch still doesn't add leaderboards, or scanning, and apparently fixes yesterday's crashes (yay!).

- New! Star Marine – Whenever a player respawns, all players will experience a lag spike
- New! Being invited to a Multiplayer Match, then exiting and joining a Multiplayer game will always put you in a Battle Royale on Broken Moon
- New! Combat Visors have a chance of not showing up in some ships.

:tif:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

I think the most commented post ever on r/dereksmart isn't even about derek smart. That is going to make derek very upset.

The best part of the thread is if they get too butthurt by it the mods will close it, or delete it if it goes too poorly.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

*release a patch that crashes on launch*
*release another patch that removes crash*

Wow! the game is butter smooth, stable, and ready to release.

*poo poo is still broke and stuff is missing*

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I can't get over how many citizens are saying that SM is a good FPS. I'm not a huge FPS player, but I have played CS, Quake 3, Halo 2, etc. and still play the occasional single player FPS like Wolfenstein and Doom. It's pretty clear even from video that it is nowhere near any popular game.

It plays like a FFA arena shooter with no consideration given to weapon balance or 'moment to moment' strategic decision making and flow. If you don't ignore the networking or that there is never going to be 'high level play' due to no ranked/private matchmaking, it's trash tier.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

There's still one more day left in the week...

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They are going to crunch even harderer tomorrow and then wave away the delay by saying it was a typo, that they meant the 23rd all along.

24th isn't a public holiday...

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

New PTU patch, still not on live.

- They implemented the new item system for the fish tank, so now you can put fish in it again.
- They removed the 'tab' keybind. It now doesn't do anything.
- No leaderboards (They should just pretend it wasn't supposed to have one).
- Still need to restart client to get a new lobby invite.
- Appears to have fixed the error bugs from two patches ago.

Only one really bad problem? gently caress it, this one's going live tomorrow.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

2.6 to Live
WOW, Who could have possibly seen this coming?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

IMPORTANT ISSUES

in a loving release patch

:downsbravo:

If the patcher doesn't work, try a VPN....

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Wanna bet Amazon gave them a huge loan, and exchange forced them to use lumberjack?
Basically that means CIG is bought by a publisher LOL

Lumberyard has VR support, replaced crynetwork (!), Xbox One/PS4 support (lol), a 'better' cloud architecture, and will likely get Vulkan support. Also the engine is a newer branch of CryEngine that is actively being developed and improved upon. Both CIG and Amazon can spin this as a big win, and I wouldn't be shocked if CIG got a deal on the AWS side of things. But in reality CIG need's all the help it can get and Amazon is desperate to get people using their engine. This is a big technical bailout, but it is still a far cry from everything that's been promised.

Can't wait for Citizen's to start spinning this as the only possible thing CIG could have done, and that the game couldn't have been made if the switch didn't happen. Implying that backers were being strung along by promises that couldn't be kept until this 'opportunity' surfaced six months ago.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Engine Change is peak development hell

Merry Chrismas

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

grimcreaper posted:

Wait.. am I reading this right? They really switched engines

It's from CryEngine to CryEngine, but it still would have involved quite a bit of work. This bit of semantics will keep the backer's heads from exploding.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 24, 2016

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

sorla78 posted:

Still wondering what happens to the guys in Frankfurt.

Still working on all the other pie in the sky promises Chris has made. This move gets them things like VR and console support, stuff that might have otherwise been in the 'too hard' basket. They still got work to do on networking, ai, animation system, physics grids, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

:gary:

It is already starting to happen