Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Apparently it's possible to have a movie that isn't feeling well, it's sick and smells and has a limp and street kids throw empty bottles at it. But then some guy takes it to the doctor and he gives it some meds and feeds it properly and it gets a haircut and when it goes out of the hospital it turns out it's a freagin' Citizen Kane? This is the place to talk about that.

Alien 3, Watchmen, Waterworld (lol), Kingdom of Heaven etc. you know the drill. What's your favorite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
The Assembly Cut of Alien 3 is practically a different movie from the theatrical. I think out of all the Director's Cuts, my personal favorite is probably Payback. The theatrical version was a passable Mel Gibson crime noir movie and the directors cut took that and just ratcheted up the revenge angle to 11.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
do "unrated" editions count? thank god for those. really made american pie come into its own

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
The director cut is the only real version of blade runner right?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

The director cut is the only real version of blade runner right?

That or Final, depending on who you ask.

I completely forgot how much better the Watchmen director's cut is than the theatrical, lol

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
i didn't watch Blade Runner for the longest time since everyone yelled about which of 3-4 versions to watch first and I didn't know how to pick one without getting heavy spoilers. Now I can't even remember which one I saw first.

Lately, I saw a big improvement on the Batman v. Superman director/extended edition. It's still a bad movie, but it goes from abysmal/incomprehensible to just bad.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
The original cut of Once Upon A Time In America is an hour and a half longer than the theatrical cut (3 hours 49 minutes). I've had it on DVD for more than a decade but I didn't actually sit down and watch it until yesterday.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Even though watching them back to back is something you only do on NyQuil during a severe flu, I did find that the director's cut of the Lord of the Rings trilogy felt a bit more complete. Director's cut of Alien was a fun thing to watch at 11:30 at night when they ran it in theaters back in 2003.

Been wanting to check out Once Upon a Time in America.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

If you watch it in episodic sittings, Gangs of new York is a heady criticism of tradition and modernity. If you just sit through the directors cut,you'll be comfortably asleep an hour in.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Skoll posted:

The Assembly Cut of Alien 3 is practically a different movie from the theatrical.

they both are garbage for the garbage can

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A moment of silence for the eternally lost eight hour cut of Greed

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Once I read that 80% of all the silent films are gone forever, melted down for their silver content.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I dont know about melted down for silver but most silent films were produced on nitrate film which was known for spontaneously combusting so a lot of storage warehouses just went up in a flames after a few years and the originals were all lost. Most silent films that remain in digital format were restored from copies of copies of copies which is why the quality of prints is so spotty beyond a certain year.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In Greed's case, Eric von Stroheim poured years of his life into making the movie and then the studio he was working for got merged into MGM and his new boss was the same guy who fired him from Universal years earlier and to keep up his personal grudge he cut 6 hours from the film and released it. they had to screen the original cut once for contractual obligations so like 20 people saw it and it has a mythical status as an incredibly powerful experience that it is lost to time.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i like ali. the miami vice dc is good too although its marginally worse than the theatrical cut cuz of how it displaces the club scene from a cold open. i still need to see the dc of blackhat.

also heavens gate

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Palpek posted:

Apparently it's possible to have a movie that isn't feeling well, it's sick and smells and has a limp and street kids throw empty bottles at it. But then some guy takes it to the doctor and he gives it some meds and feeds it properly and it gets a haircut and when it goes out of the hospital it turns out it's a freagin' Citizen Kane? This is the place to talk about that.

Alien 3, Watchmen, Waterworld (lol), Kingdom of Heaven etc. you know the drill. What's your favorite?

The Final Cut of Bladerunner is pretty good, though I admit I've never really sat down to watch the movie until I bought that version.

I like the additional scenes they added back into The Good the Bad and the Ugly, but Eli Wallach was so old when they asked him to redo the missing audio dialogue for it, he almost sounds like a completely different person.

I actually prefer the theatrical cut of Legend, simply because I've gotten way too used to the Tangerine Dream score. Jerry Goldsmith's is really good though.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i think the greed thing was probably kind of an exaggeration but yeah it really sucks

apparently mann made a new cut of ali recently that someone was saying good things about and i got interested in that movie for the first time ever

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Terry Jones' son made a "director's" cut of Erik the Viking and it was terrible. Cut out half the jokes in the name of pacing. I don't watch that film for the flow, I watch it because Tim Robbins running around with a towel on his head thinking he's invisible us hilarious.

Tommy_Udo
Apr 16, 2017

The Director's Cut of Blade Runner (1982) is the best one to watch, but the Final Cut is also acceptable. Other notable Director's Cuts include: Once Upon a Time in America (1984),To Live and Die in LA (1985), and Nixon (1995). I know there's like three versions of Manhunter(1986), though I've only seen the theatrical version. A super duper final version of Heat (1995) is coming out this May, but I don't know what will be the difference between the cuts.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've heard Troy becomes much better in the directors cut but I'm not sure I care to watch it and find out in the event its not

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Tommy_Udo posted:

The Director's Cut of Blade Runner (1982) is the best one to watch, but the Final Cut is also acceptable.

There is no reason to watch the Director's Cut instead of the Final Cut, though? The Final Cut is 99.9% "the Director's Cut with all the technically broken poo poo fixed" and the other 0.1% is ether unnoticeable or completely inoffensive.

Tommy_Udo
Apr 16, 2017

sean10mm posted:

There is no reason to watch the Director's Cut instead of the Final Cut, though? The Final Cut is 99.9% "the Director's Cut with all the technically broken poo poo fixed" and the other 0.1% is ether unnoticeable or completely inoffensive.

Yea, The Final Cut just added some new music/scenes, but it's essentially the same film. The biggest difference is there is a scene with strippers in ski masks. I just always thought The Final Cut was unnecessary (though I'm thankful for the strippers in ski masks.)

Tommy_Udo
Apr 16, 2017

Speaking of different cuts, does anyone know if the Assembly Cut for Alien 3 been released on its own DVD, outside of the quadrilogy sets?

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
Do any of the Alien 3 cuts make the movie good?

Tommy_Udo
Apr 16, 2017

ROFLburger posted:

Allegedly the Assembly Cut does.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

ROFLburger posted:

It goes from "bad" to "mediocre"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Alien 3 is the third best one

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

The director's cut of True Romance is superior to the R rated version.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Plutonis posted:

Alien 3 is the third best one

true, regretably

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Tommy_Udo posted:

The Director's Cut of Blade Runner (1982) is the best one to watch, but the Final Cut is also acceptable. Other notable Director's Cuts include: Once Upon a Time in America (1984),To Live and Die in LA (1985), and Nixon (1995). I know there's like three versions of Manhunter(1986), though I've only seen the theatrical version. A super duper final version of Heat (1995) is coming out this May, but I don't know what will be the difference between the cuts.

I don't think the Heat release is different as far as scenes/runtime, it's just a 4K source scan with color adjustments, and apparently some different zoom used which people are predictably for or against.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Skoll posted:

The Assembly Cut of Alien 3 is practically a different movie from the theatrical. I think out of all the Director's Cuts, my personal favorite is probably Payback. The theatrical version was a passable Mel Gibson crime noir movie and the directors cut took that and just ratcheted up the revenge angle to 11.

Whata diff in Payback?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Aliens DC has turret scenes while the original doesn't. I liked the turret scenes.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Those turrets were so cool! And I have the director's cut on VHS, which means I would need a VCR in order to see Newt's family visit the alien ship.

My ears still ache from her sonic scream.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
It's a better movie without the scenes of newts family, and the turrets are cool but superfluous and slow down the movie

I was just watching Prince of Thieves last night with the commentary and the director was mad that they added some cut scenes back in. He said that he'd already fought once to keep/lose a scene and doesnt like a studio jockey screwing with the cut for the dvd. Even if you wanted a scene in but had to cut it for pacing or whatever, its probably best left cut. Fight the battle once, win or lose, then move on.

That said, I personally like the 'milius' cut the best of the Conan versions, where it adds in the short dialogue between conan/subotai before the last fight, what Milius called 'the moby dick' speech, where it's one last chance to turn back but the character declines. Also it has the princess help Conan kill Doom.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 15, 2017

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

Not a "directors cut" necessarily but I Am Legend had a cool alternate ending and I think it's the best Will Smith movie

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

dogmother1776 posted:

Not a "directors cut" necessarily but I Am Legend had a cool alternate ending and I think it's the best Will Smith movie

i just looked it up and that ending is even more retarded than the one they put in. just use the goddamn books ending which is perfect :mad:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the will smith superhero movie (the name escapes me at the moment) has a added scene in the home release where he gets his dick sucked and cums so hard it blows the woman's head off and launches his semen into deep orbit

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

the will smith superhero movie (the name escapes me at the moment) has a added scene in the home release where he gets his dick sucked and cums so hard it blows the woman's head off and launches his semen into deep orbit

awesome. the movie was hancock

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

or suicide squad :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

trying to jack off posted:

i just looked it up and that ending is even more retarded than the one they put in. just use the goddamn books ending which is perfect :mad:

Or watch the last man on Earth, http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0058700/?ref=m_nv_sr_2 drat near verbatim the book I am legend.

• Locked thread