Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
There have been loads of under-30 leaders of countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_youngest_state_leaders_since_1900

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Doomtalker posted:

A land of race car yahyas...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Corek posted:

There have been loads of under-30 leaders of countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_youngest_state_leaders_since_1900

maybe there should be a separate thread for this because i'm interested in who didn't just inherit the power

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

shiiieeeeeet :dealwithit:

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Man Musk posted:

Alexander the Great conquered the world by 32

Nas recorded illmatic by 21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_srvHOu75vM

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Trump was a billionaire with a cool name by 0

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The new rulers are going to prosecute Jammeh and are preventing him leaving the country

I guess this is just what Gambian rulers wear

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Great opportunity for Senegal to reunite what God never intended to be dissolved.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Jose posted:

The new rulers are going to prosecute Jammeh and are preventing him leaving the country

I guess this is just what Gambian rulers wear

it looks comfy af

is that moroccan wool??

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

did we find out how he managed to lose the election yet

did he forget to pay the vote counters and the army or something

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Peel posted:

quote:

President Jammeh, 51, who took control of the West African country in 1994, said on Tuesday that his victory in the election is all but assured with divine intervention, and warned the opposition against protesting.

"Our election system is fraud-proof, rig-proof, you cannot rig our elections," he said. "There is no reason that anybody should demonstrate."

Demonstrations will not be allowed "because those are the loopholes that are used to destabilise African governments", he said.

Voters will use marbles, placing them into green, silver and purple ballot drums, which will be counted on the spot using wooden tablets.

God's loving with inevitability in 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Peel posted:

he's usually had a load of challengers splitting the vote but things are especially poo poo at the minute and instead all the other parties formed a coalition so it was one guy against him

once he realised he was going to lose he tried to suppress the news and failed

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

he's baaack

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
the polls were rigged!!!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol of course

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

maybe wait until you're actually in power before telling the dictator you're going to prosecute them

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

oh boy that challenger is a property developer. i can't wait for the neoliberal prescriptions to begin, making people have second thoughts about this whole "topple a dictator" thing

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

get that OUT of my face posted:

oh boy that challenger is a property developer. i can't wait for the neoliberal prescriptions to begin, making people have second thoughts about this whole "topple a dictator" thing

Right, if there's one thing developing countries need, it's actually fewer houses and buildings.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

An update. also maybe make this a general africa thread because there is similar poo poo going down elsewhere on the continent atm

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/23/forces-on-standby-to-oust-gambian-president-yahya-jammeh

quote:

West African troops will oust the Gambian president if he does not step down when his term ends in January, the chair of the regional bloc has said.

Marcel de Souza, the head of the Ecowas commission, said that “if he loves his people”, Yahya Jammeh would negotiate a peaceful exit, but if not, Senegal would lead the charge to remove him, according to Radio France Internationale.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

what similar poo poo is going down

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/21/congo-leaders-growing-pressure-death-toll-mounts-president-kabila

the president of the democratic republic of congo can only serve 2 terms but the current guy has had this expire and is saying he'll stay on anyway

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

ECOWAS really wants to be west africa's nato

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

I mean is that bad?

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Atrocious Joe posted:

*smiles globalistly* good

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Jose posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/21/congo-leaders-growing-pressure-death-toll-mounts-president-kabila

the president of the democratic republic of congo can only serve 2 terms but the current guy has had this expire and is saying he'll stay on anyway
Actually "the democratic republic of THE congo." aka the pile of oppression formally known as Mobutu's Zaire.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

On a DRC-related note, the "compromise" Kabila agreed to is with a fake "opposition" and will actually ensure that Kabila can install his designated successor and throw Moise Katumbi in prison on trumped-up charges. Fun times!

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

I mean is that bad?

I have no idea

the abbreviation is kinda badass though

one letter off from ECO-WASP

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
so it looks like Senegal may intervene in The Gambia and sending troops

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

senegambia part deux

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Reminder anything happening in W. Africa is French idiotic intellegence operations bullshit

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Nonsense posted:

Reminder anything happening in W. Africa is French idiotic intellegence operations bullshit

mais occasionally the oil despots and their corporate friends commit atrocities too

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Lastgirl posted:

so it looks like Senegal may intervene in The Gambia and sending troops

Jammeh gonna learn the hard way to never fk with the signares

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
reminder that a civil war has been raging in burundi for about two years now because of the same poo poo. well it's not really a civil war as much as the president's militias just killing people. there are thousands and thousands of refuguees, maybe millions, but no one cares about burundi so :shrug:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

oliwan posted:

reminder that a civil war has been raging in burundi for about two years now because of the same poo poo. well it's not really a civil war as much as the president's militias just killing people. there are thousands and thousands of refuguees, maybe millions, but no one cares about burundi so :shrug:
it's just as small as rwanda and right next door to it. why did burundi's neighbor get so much attention but not burundi?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

it's just as small as rwanda and right next door to it. why did burundi's neighbor get so much attention but not burundi?

Being center stage for one of the worst genocides of the late 20th century will do that for you.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

thanks for the name change FAU i think this will most likely cover it

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The world needs more aviator sunglasses and African dictators know this on a base level.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Jammeh'd dique

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

its not fullscale genocide quite yet just some basic deathsquading, give it time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Seizure Meat posted:

The world needs more aviator sunglasses and African dictators know this on a base level.

biden channeling his inner afrikan diktator

"Dubul' ibhunu"

• Locked thread