Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

get that OUT of my face posted:

Teodoro Obiang of Equatorial Guinea is the longest-standing African dictator, even longer than Mugabe. his opponents say he's a cannibal

had a friend who was offered 700k a year to be a head mechanic for his personal car collection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

For that kind of money I'd offer a toe if he was feeling peckish.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

also fuckin rip Yahya

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-gambia-politics-idUSKBN15305Q

quote:

West African troops were poised to intervene in Gambia on Thursday after President Yahya Jammeh's mandate expired and overnight talks to convince him to stand down failed.

Senegal has deployed hundreds of soldiers to its shared border with Gambia and Nigeria has pre-positioned war planes and helicopters after regional bloc ECOWAS said it would remove Jammeh if he did not hand over power to challenger Adama Barrow, who won an election in early December.

Gambia's capital, Banjul, was quiet overnight and on Thursday morning as military helicopters flew overhead and police trucks patrolled largely empty streets.

Mauritanian President Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz led last ditch talks with Jammeh in Banjul on Wednesday before meeting Senegal's President Macky Sall and Barrow in Dakar overnight.

It was unclear what Jammeh's next move would be. The veteran leader faces almost total diplomatic isolation and a government that has all but collapsed from defections. Both ECOWAS and the African Union have said they will recognise Barrow as president from Thursday.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The Mauritanian president won power in a coup the year after slavery became illegal there although its not actually enforced

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Baloogan posted:

um
he looks exactly like james earl jones

well i can assure you that this ia a very real dictator and his name is King Jaffe Joffer of Zamunda

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

how many wars are going on in africa outside of libya and syria and boko haram?

EDIT: christ. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ongoing_armed_conflicts

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

how many wars are going on in africa outside of libya and syria and boko haram?

EDIT: christ. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ongoing_armed_conflicts
Cabinda is still getting hosed over by Angola, i see. I kinda hope they would loving manage to secede with 80% of Angola offshore petrol and be done with being consistently raped by their own countrymen but :effort: also the other congolese nation around would try to gently caress them worse.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Toplowtech posted:

Cabinda is still getting hosed over by Angola, i see. I kinda hope they would loving manage to secede with 80% of Angola offshore petrol and be done with being consistently raped by their own countrymen but :effort: also the other congolese nation around would try to gently caress them worse.

god why is Africa such a war zone. i mean i know a lot of it has to do with imperialism and pitting tribes/ethnic groups against each other and alot of the dictators took over in either revolution or placed there by west or east.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/01/gambia-president-adama-barrow-takes-oath-senegal-170119170745954.html

new guy is president. old guy isnt stepping down.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i support the lion jammaeh

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Darkman Fanpage posted:

i support the lion jammaeh

foreign armies install a property developer as president after a vote accused of major irregularites? say it with me now...

C

I

A

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Peel posted:

foreign armies install a property developer as president after a vote accused of major irregularites? say it with me now...

C

I

A

F

S

B

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

god why is Africa such a war zone. i mean i know a lot of it has to do with imperialism and pitting tribes/ethnic groups against each other and alot of the dictators took over in either revolution or placed there by west or east.
France, Zaire(democratic rep of congo), Belgium, the World League for Freedom and Democracy (formerly known as the world anti communist league, an offshoot of Taiwan anti communist league), and (allegedly) China support (or supported at some point) the many independence movements (including the communist one) because oil&corporatism work better with a smaller state and also a healthy dose of "gently caress the Portugese-speaking Angolan mass rapists". Nothing serious will happen as long as Angola is stable (and they did manage to get their their debt reduction and without spending like crazy again so it may take decades before they run out of money, also oil). My money on Kabila and Congo being tired of Angola troops going through his land to gently caress with the Cabinda exclave/enclave and wanting some safe oil source at some point Edit: Angola oil's revenue is around 64 billion yearly. Half of it always kinda get lost in the obscurity of Angola's "budget".

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 19:39 on Jan 19, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jammeh has been given a midday deadline to gently caress off or troops move in

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Sometimes a place just has lots of wars for a bit!

At times it has been Europe, sometimes the Middle East, the colonization of the American continent was a long rear end string of wars really, and Asia is the home of the highest bodycount from wars in collected history.

You could also paint that image of wikipedia differently, like all of Europe and the USA with at least the yellow brush and in places darker shades since plenty of em are dying in NATO/non-NATO anti-ISIS/Afghan stuff atm.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

jBrereton posted:

Sometimes a place just has lots of wars for a bit!

At times it has been Europe, sometimes the Middle East, the colonization of the American continent was a long rear end string of wars really, and Asia is the home of the highest bodycount from wars in collected history.

You could also paint that image of wikipedia differently, like all of Europe and the USA with at least the yellow brush and in places darker shades since plenty of em are dying in NATO/non-NATO anti-ISIS/Afghan stuff atm.

pretty sure this was attempted once

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

trunko what is the beer like in senegal?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i bet Jammeh is really regretting not rigging that poo poo better

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

just an incredibly embarrassing way to go really

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
over under on suicide in the presidential residence?

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
there comes a point where you just need to give up and restart the game

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/01/gambia-yahya-jammeh-final-deadline-step-170120044922953.html

jammeh is like 'cmon just five more minutes'

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Darkman Fanpage posted:

over under on suicide in the presidential residence?
Billionaire exile in a villa in France/Switzerland is more likely.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-38699119

He went this very minute!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Cool and good

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
I like the link to the article/video explaining why it's The Gambia.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
It's seriously "we don't want to get confused for Zambia".

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

frankenfreak posted:

why thank you for letting us know, BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-38675804

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

frankenfreak posted:

lmao

i hope everyone is enjoying the african cup of nations and the quality of the football

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i don't think there are any american channels that show the Cup of Nations

consumed by normies posted:

had a friend who was offered 700k a year to be a head mechanic for his personal car collection
sounds like a sweet gig

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

he gone

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i googled to see how things are going under the new president and he's made the working week now include friday. hosed up imo

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Jose posted:

i googled to see how things are going under the new president and he's made the working week now include friday. hosed up imo

without a doubt!
however, since when has political leadership in any nation gone against that country's business interests?
it's how the cookie crumbles, and how the sausage is made, friend,
with plenty of mistakes, and quite enough hubris to discourage the common citizen

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jose posted:

if things are so bad politically in your country that you rely on a landlord to make things better, then you deserve what you get. and yes i'm including my own country here

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

frankenfreak posted:

Didn't stop the Republic of the Congo and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Or Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, and Equatorial Guinea.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Dr. Congo best congo

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
If I wanted to become an African Dictator how would I go about it?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Gridlocked posted:

If I wanted to become an African Dictator how would I go about it?

you just need your own mercenary army https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Denard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

you don't even lose your title if you're british and fail in a coup

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Thatcher#2004_Equatorial_Guinea_coup_d.27.C3.A9tat_attempt

• Locked thread