Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Corek posted:

Didn't stop the Republic of the Congo and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Or Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, and Equatorial Guinea.

papua new guinea "we're not even in africa"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Gridlocked posted:

If I wanted to become an African Dictator how would I go about it?

you need to make a powerful fashion statement first

do you want the

Township Warlord Look

or do you want the

Royal Treatment Look

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i want the Imperial look

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Go for the sapeur look imo

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

i want the Imperial look

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Thats more like it

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

Thats more like it
Central African Empire owned.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

jBrereton posted:

Central African Empire owned.

quote:

Bokassa spent the equivalent of over 20 million United States dollars, a third of the country’s government annual income, on his coronation ceremony. The monarchy was abolished and the name "Central African Republic" was restored on 21 September 1979, when Bokassa was ousted with French support.

Holy poo poo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the central african republic is so hosed up its considered a worse place to live than syria

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bokassa thought of himself as the African Napoleon, but he neglected the liberalizing conqueror part.

Jose posted:

the central african republic is so hosed up its considered a worse place to live than syria

CAR is on the border of multiple Christian and Muslim states, its population is also mixed Christian, Muslim, & Nativist, with further tribal separations. All of the CAR's neighbors' preferred solution for Islamic militants and violent revolutionaries is to just push them into the CAR where they wreak havoc constantly.

Geography matters, kids.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

syria might have been in a civil war for 5 years but was fairly well developed before that. can't blow up whats not there like the CAR

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Aurubin posted:

Holy poo poo.
Yeah. I bet if he hadn't have modelled himself on Napoleon the French wouldn't have bothered lol

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 11 hours!)

get that OUT of my face posted:

Teodoro Obiang of Equatorial Guinea is the longest-standing African dictator, even longer than Mugabe. his opponents say he's a cannibal

Thanks to this article I learned that the demonym for Equatorial Guinea is Equatoguinean.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'd totally go for a "James Earl Jones in Coming to America" look if i were an african dictator

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
British Foreign Secretary: Gambia to Return to Commonwealth

the crown reclaims a colony :britain:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jammeh knew

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
jammeh was trying to protect native sovereignty from the imperialists

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Gambia is $1bn in debt because of Jammeh stealing from the country

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/23/the-gambia-debt-theft-mismanagement-jammeh-allegations

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

a preview of 2020

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i want a game like tropico except you're an african dictator and you have to see how much money you can get into your swiss bank account before being forced out of office

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

ah, surely this will make up for the loss of access to the single market

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

ah, surely this will make up for the loss of access to the single market

That's just until the Commonwealth is absorbed into the Imperial States of Magastan

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Darkman Fanpage posted:

i want a game like tropico except you're an african dictator and you have to see how much money you can get into your swiss bank account before being forced out of office

the first tropico (at least) has a swiss bank account mechanic

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
http://norwaytoday.info/news/somalia-gets-norwegian-prime-minister/

quote:

Somalia gets Norwegian Prime Minister

Hassan Ali Khaire, who is a Norwegian citizen, has been appointed Prime Minister of Somalia.

Khaire (49) was Thursday appointed by the new Somali president Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed.
The new prime minister has dual Norwegian and Somali citizenship.

Previously Khaire has been regional director for the Norwegian Refugees Committee (NRC) for the Horn of Africa. He has also been one of the Executives of Soma Oil & Gas.

Khaire was born in Somalia and came as a refugee to Vestre Slidre, Valdres as a 21-year-old according to VG. Later he studied in Oslo. In 2006 he received the job as Regional Director for NRC.

President Mohamed won the elections in Somalia earlier this month and was sworn in Wednesday. As is the case for Khaire, he has experience from abroad, and has both American and Somali citizenship.

Somalia has been affected by conflict and crises for decades, and no Government has been able to control the country since the early 1990s.

The extremist Islamist group al-Shabaab still constitutes a major threat. In addition, the country is on the brink of a severe famine due to drought and conflict.

21st century neo-colonialism is weird.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

It's more a side effect of both glottalization and decades of Norwegian help toward Muslim migrants than straight up "I AM GONNA GET YOUR RESOURCES" "NEO COLONIALISM" if you ask me but yeah the world is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

AROUND THE NORD

YOU GET SENT TO THE FJORD

• Locked thread