Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

quote:

Captain Phasma and Count Dooku battle Han Solo and Luke Skywalker in the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. Jango Fett and Jabba the Hutt attack Rey and Finn as they pass through the frozen wastes of Starkiller Base. Play out your own epic, saga-spanning, “what if” battles in Star Wars™: Destiny, a collectible dice and card game for two players!

In every game of Star Wars: Destiny, you’ll gather your small team of iconic characters and battle to defeat your foes, using your dice and the cards in your deck. The last player with characters left standing wins the game, but to successfully outmaneuver your opponent, you’ll need to carefully consider your options and enhance your deck with new dice and cards. If you ever wondered who would win a duel between two teams of heroes and villains from the Star Wars universe, there’s no better way to find out than with Star Wars: Destiny.

Q: What the gently caress is this poo poo?!
A: Star Wars: Destiny is FFG's attempt to collect all the money of Magic: The Gathering, Star Wars, and Dicemasters at the same time. Cards are purchased through starter packs and random boosters, where each booster contains 5 cards and 1 die to match a card in the pack.

Your characters will do battle with enemy characters in an attempt to defeat all of them or run out the opposing player's deck.

Q: How much is it?
A: $15 for a starter and $3 for a booster, give or take.

Q: What does it look like?
A:

Pictured: Decks, characters, upgrades, support cards, dice, etc.

Q: How do I play?
A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gPu9pp2WOM
Players alternate actions to prepare and roll dice into their pools, then use those dice to support themselves, deal damage, etc. Players can also play support cards and upgrade cards which may or may not grant additional dice to be rolled.

Q: What the gently caress do all those symbols mean?
A:

Q: Aren't CCGs soul and wallet draining nightmares?
A: Yes. But this is kept to a minimum by keeping decks small (30 cards) and only allowing two of any given non-unique card.

Links
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-destiny/
Rules, Etc.

Q: Is there any way I can play this without spending a ton of money?
A: Well, no, that would constitute copyright infri-https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=764462825

Deviant fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Helpful Links:

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/e3/76/e376985a-05dc-4622-a651-33e75a39288c/swd_rules_reference_11_good.pdf Rules Reference
Use this space to discuss strategy, trading, your inability to find these drat things in stores and my local store's refusal to sell me an entire loving booster box despite cash in hand.

Card List:

Starter Contents:

Deviant fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 3, 2016

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Is your FLGS averse to money? idgi

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Finster Dexter posted:

Is your FLGS averse to money? idgi

It's a whole "we don't have that many and want everyone to be able to get some" thing.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
So, who's got a second Finn die they don't need?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

OB_Juan posted:

So, who's got a second Finn die they don't need?

I really don't think his die is good enough to pay another 3 points for it, when his ability doesn't rely on them.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My FLGS's manager has burned a lot of distribution bridges due to incompetence so even if there wasn't a shortage, he wouldn't have gotten many in. Luckily one of the other X-wing guys had a second starter that he sold to me for what he paid, $15. Then I went to the other major CCG seller in town; hey had three starters and a box left so I bought a second Rey starter. $12.50 a starter, $2.30 a booster.

I'm surprised there aren't any collection trackers for Android yet.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Did FFG do that bullshit where they put 1 copy of starter-only cards so that if you want 2 for your cool deck idea you have to buy 2 starters?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Also I guess post your Steam things if you want to play there

http://steamcommunity.com/id/sadeviant

Finster Dexter posted:

Did FFG do that bullshit where they put 1 copy of starter-only cards so that if you want 2 for your cool deck idea you have to buy 2 starters?

If you buy both starters, the only cards you don't have a 2x play set of are Finn, Mind Probe, and Force Throw. I'll add starter contents to the 2nd post

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Deviant posted:

I really don't think his die is good enough to pay another 3 points for it, when his ability doesn't rely on them.

That looks like a trap card unless there are a lot of other cards that can use Red Villain weapons besides him.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Deviant posted:

If you buy both starters, the only cards you don't have a 2x play set of are Finn, Mind Probe, and Force Throw. I'll add starter contents to the 2nd post

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Glad it's only three cards, but it's still annoying.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Finster Dexter posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Glad it's only three cards, but it's still annoying.

Finn doesn't seem worth having two of unless you want a full play set. Mind Probe is pretty good though and I'm unsure about Force Throw.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I will note re: a second finn, extra starting dice increases the likelihood that you'll get to go first and choose the battlefield. I have no idea how much impact that has, but you'd probably want to be on your own.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
It also depends on what your other character is. It's entirely possible to have three points left over.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Picked up 2 Kylo Ren starters today at my FLGS, they only got those 2 in because literally nobody asked for it up until the day of release so now they are scrambling to cash in on this new hotness.

I'm a little sad i didn't get Rey but i suppose 2 Kylos is good enough start until we can figure out if this is worth investing mine and my wallets soul into this game.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
A second finn dice isn't really very good. Mind probe and force throw however are both amazing.

So far I've opened ~100 boosters and done some trading. I've got 2 Han, 3 Poe, 2 Falcons, 2 black ones, 2 of each legendary lightsabers, 2 thermal detonators, a Jabba, a one with the force and a commanding presence.

I got destroyed by my mates Luke + Launch Bay deck last night though. God drat Launch Bay is a lot of pressure when it hits the table.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

KongGeorgeVII posted:

A second finn dice isn't really very good. Mind probe and force throw however are both amazing.

So far I've opened ~100 boosters and done some trading. I've got 2 Han, 3 Poe, 2 Falcons, 2 black ones, 2 of each legendary lightsabers, 2 thermal detonators, a Jabba, a one with the force and a commanding presence.

I got destroyed by my mates Luke + Launch Bay deck last night though. God drat Launch Bay is a lot of pressure when it hits the table.

What are the answers to Launch Bay? So far I see AT-ST and Force Throw?

Edit: And Surgical Strike

Deviant fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 2, 2016

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Deviant posted:

What are the answers to Launch Bay? So far I see AT-ST and Force Throw?

Edit: And Surgical Strike

Pretty much. Otherwise your normal mitigation should work as long as you meet the requirements. If they have the battle field and roll it in first though it can be tough to stop.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Pretty much. Otherwise your normal mitigation should work as long as you meet the requirements. If they have the battle field and roll it in first though it can be tough to stop.

My current deck is not super mitigation heavy, but relies on being as angry and fast as possible:

quote:

4x First Order Stormtrooper (28/30 points)

Battlefield: Imperial Armory

Upgrades:
2x F-11D Rifle
2x Promotion
2x Datapad
2x IQA-11 Blaster Rifle

Supports:
2x Supporting Fire
2x First Order TIE Fighter
2x Drudge Work

Events: 2x Block
2x Dodge
2x Flank
2x Endless Ranks
2x Squad Tactics
2x Firepower
2x Logistics
2x Tactical Mastery

I suppose this just tries to get rolling before Launch Bay can set up. Might swap in a Night Sister to get access to blue/power of the dark side to use all the blanks on the stormtroopers OR a Tusken Raider to open yellow.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Anyone interested in trading? I didn't really get any extras, but I have stuff i'm not interested in playing. I haven't gone through all my rares and i'm hoping I have all I need (I opened 3 boxes) so for now i'll just post legendary stuff:

Have:

2x AT-ST
1x Captain Phasma
1x Han Solo
1x Kylo Ren's Lightsaber

Want:

2x Black One
1x Poe Dameron
1x Launch Bay
2x Commanding Presence
1x Darth Vader

I should have enough rares that I could potentially trade "up" for stuff, or at least work out any price differences there may be between stuff. I also have a few Rey promos.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Finster Dexter posted:

Personally, I think putting 7 of the 43 rares in the starter packs is more annoying. Does a card really count as rare if everyone and their dog has a playset from buying the starter packs?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Are there any cards or abilities that get rid of support cards on the field?

EDIT: As soon as I post, I remembered AT-ST :downs:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Are there any cards or abilities that get rid of support cards on the field?

EDIT: As soon as I post, I remembered AT-ST :downs:

Surgical Strike and AT-ST are the only ones that outright remove them.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
This document can be added to the OP if you want. Its a rules reference that came out today. Nothing changed, but it has additional clarifications. It's honestly just a better rulebook.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/e3/76/e376985a-05dc-4622-a651-33e75a39288c/swd_rules_reference_11_good.pdf

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I want to dip into that, but I'm kind of afraid of dumping too much in a ccg. Would a starter and a couple boosters be a good investment?

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Iceclaw posted:

I want to dip into that, but I'm kind of afraid of dumping too much in a ccg. Would a starter and a couple boosters be a good investment?

People are talking a lot about how much easier it is to get into this because you only need 30 cards for a deck and there's a limit of 2 per card, but you have to keep in mind that the card pool is effectively split in half since most cards are either Villain or Hero cards (and a deck can only be one or the other) and there are only 5 cards in a booster pack. Also, the starter decks aren't "complete" decks: they're only about 20 points worth of characters (out of a normal 30) and 20 cards.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
A starter and a few boosters will be fine. Right now, no one is going to be competitive. There might be people with stacked decks, but you should still be fine and it will be incredibly rare. Right now you are gonna get a lot of people that are just like you and just pick up a starter and a few packs.

Edit:

Triple-Kan posted:

People are talking a lot about how much easier it is to get into this because you only need 30 cards for a deck and there's a limit of 2 per card, but you have to keep in mind that the card pool is effectively split in half since most cards are either Villain or Hero cards (and a deck can only be one or the other) and there are only 5 cards in a booster pack. Also, the starter decks aren't "complete" decks: they're only about 20 points worth of characters (out of a normal 30) and 20 cards.

Not to nitpick, only having a villain or a hero team does not mean the card pool is split in half. All of the cards can still be used in a villain or hero deck. I can't think of any cards that are hero or villain only. And because you can mix team colors (reds, yellows and blues) you can basically play with every card available.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 3, 2016

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

ShowTime posted:

A starter and a few boosters will be fine. Right now, no one is going to be competitive. There might be people with stacked decks, but you should still be fine and it will be incredibly rare. Right now you are gonna get a lot of people that are just like you and just pick up a starter and a few packs.

Edit:

Not to nitpick, only having a villain or a hero team does not mean the card pool is split in half. All of the cards can still be used in a villain or hero deck. I can't think of any cards that are hero or villain only. And because you can mix team colors (reds, yellows and blues) you can basically play with every card available.

Um, but from the rules reference:

"• If a team has hero characters, its deck cannot contain villain
cards. If a team has villain characters, its deck cannot contain
hero cards. Neutral cards can be included in any deck. "

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

The Malthusian posted:

Thanks, that's actually news to me. I didn't realize cards had hero or villain on them on the bottom of the card.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

ShowTime posted:

Thanks, that's actually news to me. I didn't realize cards had hero or villain on them on the bottom of the card.

Yeah, it's not that it's bad, I actually like working with the asymmetric card pools, I just don't want anyone to be fooled into thinking that this is going to be the CCG for budget-conscious people. LCG's still fill that niche, as long as you get in early.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope
I finally got around to opening my box today, starting out with a good Villain setup. Got a Vader, Kylo Saber, double Holocron. Now I just need to know who I should pair Vader with. Didn't get a Tuskin, so I'm thinking either Jabba, Jango, or Grievous. Though what I need to do is find a Kylo starter to get my hands on Mind Probes to use with those Holocrons.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

The Malthusian posted:

Yeah, this is why I'm concerned about Launch Bay.

AT-ST is a rare (legendary?). Surgical Strike is a common.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Have any sites gone through the sets and reviewed individual cards? I'm not even sure where to begin.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope
I've been listening to the Knights of Ren podcast and watching TinyGrimes on youtube. Both have gone through a number of cards individually.

EDIT: There is also https://teamcovenant.com/category/star-wars-destiny

KO Derf fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 3, 2016

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

How do you guys store your cards/decks/dice?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

uncle blog posted:

How do you guys store your cards/decks/dice?

Haphazardly.

Iron_Chef
Sep 19, 2003
Chef of Iron
Deck builder
Collection tracker
Community deck sharing
http://swdestinydb.com

There's also
http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/starwarsdestiny/star-wars-destiny-deckbuilder and http://criticalhitgames.uk/destiny/ but I haven't looked at them in any detail

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Iron_Chef posted:

Deck builder
Collection tracker
Community deck sharing
http://swdestinydb.com

This one is running like dank rear end in a top hat. I can't publish decks for 24 hours after making an account and I can't edit a deck once I've saved it, I just get a "Page can't be reached" error.

EDIT:

3 Starters and only 2 boosters really limits what I have on hand.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 3, 2016

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Here's something I'm considering for Red+Yellow Villain

Characters:
1x First Order Stormtrooper
1x Tusken Raider

Battlefield: ?? (Imperial Armory probably)

Upgrades:
2x Holdout Blaster
2x Datapad
2x F-11D Rifle
1x Crime Lord
2x Thermal Detonator
2x Promotion

Supports:
2x Underworld Connections
2x Supporting Fire
2x Black Market

Events:
2x Endless Ranks
1x Nowhere to Run
2x Firepower
2x Logistics
2x Squad Tactics
1x Dodge
1x Flank
2x Reversal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I lost my 4th copy of Awakening already.