Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Where the hell did you buy this stuff Deviant? Preordered CSI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
He might just be deckbuilding and doesn't actually own them. He might also be playing on steam or whatever.

He could also just own the cards. I preordered a bunch and have quite a bit of stuff, though not a complete set.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
My FLGS ordered tons of stock in. I was talking to the owner and apparently he had more preorder demand for stock than any game he had sold previously.

He was saying that despite the demand, even if his suppliers could only get him half of what he ordered, he would have enough to cover all his preorders and then some.

I had 1.5 boxes on preorder but I was just able to walk into the store the other day and buy another box no problem. This is in Australia though so maybe we got more than our fair share.

e: Here is what I have after opening 99 boosters and trading with friends.

I'm only missing 7 legendary cards so far and out of the 10 I do have only 3 are single dice. I do have a third Poe I'm trying to trade though (17/34)

The only rare I have 0 of is the gaffi stick and then there are 8 others I only have 1 die for. (76/86)

I'm missing 4 uncommon cards to have a full play set of uncommons but I have at least one of everything. (80/84)

I have all the commons (116/116)

I only have 1 of each starter so I'm missing one Finn dice, a mind probe and a force throw. (25/28)

So I have 314/348 cards for a full play set of two of each card.

So that Stormtrooper deck is actually pretty doable for me.

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 5, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah stores in the US were getting 1/4th what they ordered or even put on a delayed release schedule apparently going as late as January. Screws them hard when stores down the road got plenty of stock in.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Bottom Liner posted:

Where the hell did you buy this stuff Deviant? Preordered CSI?

I don't have those cards, it's just a test deck. I have like, a starter and two boosters that i got from CCG2`

Which led to a fun conversation:

:geno:: "How much SW:Destiny can you sell me?"

:spergin:: "None, sold out."

:geno:: "Oh ok thanks anw-"

:spergin:: "We have three boxes we're holding for a tournament next week."

:geno:: "Oh...okay."

:spergin:: "We'll have more eventually, though."

:geno:: "So will Cool Stuff, and they have better prices. Bye."

Note: Cool Stuff *IS* my FLGS.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 5, 2016

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010

Deviant posted:

Here's something I'm considering for Red+Yellow Villain
I'm probably going to build something similar, how do you feel about Local Garrison? Seems like it would be a good way to slow your opponent down while you keep up the pace on your end.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Deviant posted:

I don't have those cards, it's just a test deck. I have like, a starter and two boosters that i got from CCG2`

Which led to a fun conversation:

:geno:: "How much SW:Destiny can you sell me?"

:spergin:: "None, sold out."

:geno:: "Oh ok thanks anw-"

:spergin:: "We have three boxes we're holding for a tournament next week."

:geno:: "Oh...okay."

:spergin:: "We'll have more eventually, though."

:geno:: "So will Cool Stuff, and they have better prices. Bye."

Note: Cool Stuff *IS* my FLGS.

This is David doofus I know that

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

This game is a lot more fun than I expected, I thought it would be a real gimmick with the dice. The back and forth of actions and the ability to react to what your opponent is setting up adds a depth I didn't foresee. My only problem is finding people to play with, my local shops are saying the thing is flying off the shelves but I haven't seen anyone sitting down to play.

I opened a Vader, just wanted to make people jealous. Also I want to make an Ackbar mill deck because winning with Ackbar must be done.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm thinking about making a full proxy set for testing/casual play and then just buying singles for the deck I want to play at tournaments, since it looks like the Orlando area will have a healthy scene with 5+ stores doing OP events.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Played this yesterday, good game is good. More complex than I thought it'd be.

My mate bought a couple of boxes and gave me all his spares, got a couple of Qui-Gon's, Padawan, Reys Staff, Jedi Robes and a bunch of commons/uncommons so I think i'll pick up a Rey starter.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I've heard that this game was an attempt by Fantasy Flight to keep the Star Wars license by raking in enough money Disney wouldn't dare mess with it. Apparently there were concerns with Disney wanting full control of the brand or something? Has anyone else heard this?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Bottom Liner posted:

This is David doofus I know that

yeah i know and i dont understand why you asked then im confused

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I've heard that this game was an attempt by Fantasy Flight to keep the Star Wars license by raking in enough money Disney wouldn't dare mess with it. Apparently there were concerns with Disney wanting full control of the brand or something? Has anyone else heard this?
Never heard this but wouldn't surprise me if it was true. Neither do I blame them for doing it because it seems like they are doing it right.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Deviant posted:

yeah i know and i dont understand why you asked then im confused

Just wondering if you were able to preorder from them. It was never available for me then automatically went to "email me when back in stock".

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Did a demo last friday during FNM for my buddy's store. Gave out a random promo for those that tried destiny. All the magic players loved it and started raving to eachother.

Looks like my Thursday night game night will have a lot more players than expected!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I honestly think that is FFG's strategy with this game and why they went with the CCG model. They are directly competing with MtG with the only franchise that can possibly stand against it, and the mechanics and design and inclusion of dice are all super modern and fresh in a way that excites people tired of MtG's outdated mechanics. The CCG model lets them cultivate a second hand market, limited play, and "value" in collections that LCGs lack, all things that foster a community and scene around games. I hope they crush it, Wizards of the Coast is poo poo and MtG is way past it's prime.

Any word on set frequency or competitive rotation of sets down the road?

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008
They've mentioned they plan something like 3 sets a year of equivalent size to Awakenings, but nothing about rotation yet. I wouldn't doubt rotation, though.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Triple-Kan posted:

They've mentioned they plan something like 3 sets a year of equivalent size to Awakenings, but nothing about rotation yet. I wouldn't doubt rotation, though.

Cool, all I need to do now is find a playgroup. Melbourne seems to have no games running (so far).

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bottom Liner posted:

I honestly think that is FFG's strategy with this game and why they went with the CCG model. They are directly competing with MtG with the only franchise that can possibly stand against it, and the mechanics and design and inclusion of dice are all super modern and fresh in a way that excites people tired of MtG's outdated mechanics. The CCG model lets them cultivate a second hand market, limited play, and "value" in collections that LCGs lack, all things that foster a community and scene around games. I hope they crush it, Wizards of the Coast is poo poo and MtG is way past it's prime.
:agreed: I started with SWCCG as a kid and would like to return to a star wars CCG again if this becomes successful. It'll be really funny to see MTG's secondary market tank if this takes off. :3:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
MTG will never die unfortunately

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Phrosphor posted:

Cool, all I need to do now is find a playgroup. Melbourne seems to have no games running (so far).

There area few stores around Melbourne (presuming that you are referring to the Australian Melbourne) that are supporting SWD a lot.

I'm going to be playing at Gatekeeper Games in North Fitzroy on a Thursday night and I'll probably squeeze a few games in on Tuesdays which is X-wing night. There is a good crew there that are pretty keen to play. There is also General Games in Malvern if you are on the other side of the city that I am pretty sure will have a good, regular crowd. A few of the guys I know through X-wing will definitely be playing there.

It's still early days for the game so it will be a while before the scene fully develops.

e: Gatekeeper is running a casual 3 week league starting this Thursday with one of those two player mats for the winner.

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 5, 2016

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Cheers for the info, Thursday's are normally netrunner for me but I'm tempted to come along. I'm in the cbd so it's not too hard tonget out to Fitzroy really.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I imagine Games Lab in the cbd will have a destiny night too. They have a pretty big magic crowd and I'm sure there will be some crossover.

All I know is that destiny has been selling like hotcakes in Melbourne and I'm pretty sure we will have a good scene for it soon.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Triple-Kan posted:

Idk what Awakenings is. Is that 3 expansions a year? or 3 blocks like how MtG does blocks, i.e. an expansion like every month or so.

If they're only doing 3 sets a year, that's a speed I can actually deal with, and any faster than that probably stretches the limits of reasonable playtesting anyway.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Awakenings is this core set. So 3 a year.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

That kind of clinches it for me getting into this game. Core set has 174 cards, so about 525 cards per year? That's a lot more reasonable than Magic... I think they released 1200-1300 cards in 2016, alone.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, and if early markets are anything to go by, even the more expensive decks will be very cheap if bought in singles vs any competitive MtG deck. It does seem pretty manageable and easy to keep up with, especially with trading and the villain/hero stuff leting you get rid of whichever side you're not as interested in to secure more cards for your side.

This is assuming that Asmodee can get off their asses and keep up with demand. They really shat the bucket on this. A local shop said today that they were just told by their distributor that the next wave of shipments will be almost entirely starter sets and no boosters. That's garbage.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 5, 2016

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

This is assuming that Asmodee can get off their asses and keep up with demand. They really shat the bucket on this. A local shop said today that they were just told by their distributor that the next wave of shipments will be almost entirely starter sets and no boosters. That's garbage.

This isn't Nintendo-tier supply chain incompetence, though. From the letter they sent to stores, manufacturing the dice is complex enough to slow things down, as well as ridiculous demand, maybe more than they estimated. I don't think anyone is making GBS threads the bucket or anything.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Finster Dexter posted:

This isn't Nintendo-tier supply chain incompetence, though. From the letter they sent to stores, manufacturing the dice is complex enough to slow things down, as well as ridiculous demand, maybe more than they estimated. I don't think anyone is making GBS threads the bucket or anything.

I'm making GBS threads in a bucket right now.

The first wave of Destiny starters at my FLGS vaporized instantly so now I'm on the list for whenever Team Covenant mails me some. My nephew's 11--hopefully he can grok this well enough to play against.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
I missed the preview event, and got tired of waiting for my coolstuff order to get here, so I swung by my LGS during lunch to see if I could grab a few boosters. They were completely sold out, but the store down the road had received their shipment late and just put it on the shelf. I bought 5 packs, figuring that I probably wouldn't get any legendaries, but I didn't really care that much.

First pack was Commanding Presence. Second was Luke's lightsaber. At which point I pulled out my phone to google the rarity colors to make sure I hadn't mixed them up (I hadn't). Then my third pull was Jabba. I haven't even played a game yet and I'm hooked. And I'm pretty sure I've used up all my luck for the rest of the year today - I'll probably open 10 BB-8's when my booster box finally gets here.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

g0del posted:

I missed the preview event, and got tired of waiting for my coolstuff order to get here, so I swung by my LGS during lunch to see if I could grab a few boosters. They were completely sold out, but the store down the road had received their shipment late and just put it on the shelf. I bought 5 packs, figuring that I probably wouldn't get any legendaries, but I didn't really care that much.

First pack was Commanding Presence. Second was Luke's lightsaber. At which point I pulled out my phone to google the rarity colors to make sure I hadn't mixed them up (I hadn't). Then my third pull was Jabba. I haven't even played a game yet and I'm hooked. And I'm pretty sure I've used up all my luck for the rest of the year today - I'll probably open 10 BB-8's when my booster box finally gets here.

Yea, that is insanely lucky. Make sure you only ever buy full boxes after today. I don't imagine you'll ever pull another legendary from loose packs with that kind of luck. Did you fish around or were they 5 that were handed to you/at the front of the box?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

ShowTime posted:

Yea, that is insanely lucky. Make sure you only ever buy full boxes after today. I don't imagine you'll ever pull another legendary from loose packs with that kind of luck. Did you fish around or were they 5 that were handed to you/at the front of the box?
Just the first 5 at the front of the box. It looked like a few had been bought, but the box was still mostly full. Strangely, my first thought was how much that box is going to suck for anyone else who buys boosters from it.

And it's been way too long since I was in school, but if I did the math right that was a 1 in 224 chance :psyduck:

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I had my first proper game last night. I was playing Vader and 2x Stormtrooper vs Phasma and 2x Tuskan Raider.

Turns out Guardian with hunker down is very strong. Vader not rolling any melee damage for a long time is very frustrating, even with Power of the Darkside. I had an endless ranks that really surprised my opponent who focused down one storm trooper after the other. I played an Immobilise on turn one which was very useful throughout the entire game and used an Occupation to lock him out of advancing on turn two.

My opponent didn't have any melee weapons to give his raiders and I think that was the only thing that stopped him steam rolling me, as they had F-11D's and couldn't use the modifiers for more damage.

It came down to Vader and Phasma both having two hp left and Phasma rolling three different damage sources of which I could only disrupt two. Very close and a lot of fun.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Played a few games last weekend here a well, completely underestimated how powerful a Elite Luke + Akbar aggro deck is (unfortunately it was my opponents, not mine). Being able to instantly combo out 5-8 damage with all-in is nuts.

Built a shield based Qui-gon + Elite Leia deck which can absorb a heap of damage and let you chip away as them which worked quite well, will definitely need some tweaking though

Going to try a Elite Veers + Elite Jango deck which relies on ramp to drop an early Crime lord or AT-ST since I got these in my booster box and want to find a use for them

Got 3 Stormtroopers as well, so will try some kind of deck involving them next i think

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 6, 2016

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there a general turn by turn strategy? I've played and understand Magic but never got into advanced things. What should I be looking out for, when shouldn't I do this or that action?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there a general turn by turn strategy? I've played and understand Magic but never got into advanced things. What should I be looking out for, when shouldn't I do this or that action?

My general rule of thumb so far has been to endeavour not to run out of actions before my opponent. Whilst I am unsure about the actual value of cards like Take Cover, they do provide you with a delay of sorts, so that you can react before your opponent does something nasty. If possible you want to be rolling and resolving your most powerful dice after your opponent has exhausted their resources and ability to disrupt them.

You can even do things like resolve one dice with a particular symbol, even if you have more than one with that symbol to make the turn last a little longer. Claiming the battlefield can be powerful, but having free reign to setup a perfect attack after your opponent has claimed can be game winning.

Just my 2cents of course.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Are you familiar with the terms card advantage, tempo, and action economy? SWD seems especially focused on the later two, but with 30 card decks card advantage will be big as well, just like it is in Hearthstone.

Card advantage is counting the cards in your hand/deck vs your opponents. If they discard something for a reroll and get bad value out of it, that's positive card advantage for you. If you have a hand full of cards and they only have one or two, you have more options and answers, which is another form of card advantage. Hence, drawing cards, making an opponent discard, or other ways of manipulating the decks (milling their decks before they draw cards) all create card advantage.

Tempo is probably the biggest concept in SWD due to the back and forth design of the game. It very often feels like one person is on the offense and the other person is responding to them, meaning the "attacking" player is in control of the tempo. Playing fast aggressive decks is the most simple way of controlling the tempo, unless they can stabilize and steal it via control type cards or you run out of steam by burning through stuff too quickly (losing card advantage).

Action economy goes hand in hand with tempo since the game is back and forth. Any card that lets you take another action or multiple actions is very powerful because it's basically "take another turn" in this game. That lets you control the tempo and pull off some big combo plays.

So basically, try to be on the attack/executing your deck strategy instead of reacting/defending, keep card advantage in mind, and try to make efficient use of your actions.

A SWD specific tip would be to include lots of ways to alter dice, both your own and your opponent's. And for deck building, try to keep the majority of your cards in the 0-2 cost range, anything 3+ should be one ofs or added very rarely.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 6, 2016

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Bottom Liner posted:

A SWD specific tip would be to include lots of ways to alter dice, both your own and your opponent's. And for deck building, try to keep the majority of your cards in the 0-2 cost range, anything 3+ should be one ofs or added very rarely.

Agree here, except in the case of weapons a couple of 3-4 cost weapons in your deck is usually key since you can replace old upgrades for new ones paying only the difference. Redeploy also gives them value for the whole game

Also keep an eye on the cards in your opponents hand because while they may have rolled crap into their dice pool which you plan around a simple discard and reroll can change the game completely. Goes without saying too make sure all your dice are in the pool before you discard to reroll.

If one of your characters is about to die and you can't do anything about it, make sure you spend as much of their dice as your can (make sure you are tracking this in a 3-4x stormtrooper deck especially if versing it).

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 6, 2016

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
For people who have only purchased a little bit of the game so far, what's been your experience in pulling new Battleground cards from boosters?

I've picked up only 10 packs (super low I realize, and they also weren't all from the same feed), and have only received two Battleground cards- both the same one. :(

Seems like those can shape a deck's strategy some, and not having any to choose from kind of blows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Merauder posted:

For people who have only purchased a little bit of the game so far, what's been your experience in pulling new Battleground cards from boosters?

People will give them away to you for free. I've got a whole bunch (100+) of spare battlegrounds and common/uncommon non dice cards that I've been giving away to my mates and whoever else wants to take them off my hands.