Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Finster Dexter posted:

So, are Vader and AT-ST the only chase rares, right now? Maybe Jabba? I see Vader going for about $40, Jabba for $20, and AT-ST for about $15. I'm thinking of getting a box (maybe 2) of boosters and then buying singles of legendaries/rares as needed and I think I'll come out ahead of getting the Team Covenant set.

Han, Jango, Poe, the Falcon, the unique lightsabers, Luke...there are a ton of $10+ rares/legendaries right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The Covenant set is a joke anyways since it only includes 1x each legendary. That's why I decided to just go the proxxy set/singles route.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

The Covenant set is a joke anyways since it only includes 1x each legendary. That's why I decided to just go the proxxy set/singles route.

It actually wasn't and still isn't a joke as its essentially 3 boxes of stuff presorted. If you bought a saga set and parceled it out, you'd make at least $100 off it. All the legendary cards/dice add to up to over $300, even now when prices are starting to drop. Then you have all the rares. You also have 2 starters worth of stuff and some of the starter cards are selling for $6-$8.

Also, proxying seems super easy in this game, which im thankful for. It makes playtesting much easier. Since the die sides are on each card, you can just print the card and use a d6. 1-6 is in order as it appears on the card. If i'm playing Luke Skywalker, I can just roll a d6 for him and if I roll a 3 I get to reroll a die. If I roll a 2 I do 3 melee damage. This game is setup perfectly to proxy.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 9, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm kinda hoping an #mtgfinance scene develops for this game because card barons are always fun.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ShowTime posted:

It actually wasn't and still isn't a joke as its essentially 3 boxes of stuff presorted. If you bought a saga set and parceled it out, you'd make at least $100 off it. All the legendary cards/dice add to up to over $300, even now when prices are starting to drop. Then you have all the rares. You also have 2 starters worth of stuff and some of the starter cards are selling for $6-$8.

The saga sets don't include the starter sets, except for the starter cards that can also be found in packs. Team Covenant has confirmed that on Twitter.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm kinda hoping an #mtgfinance scene develops for this game because card barons are always fun.

There will be a singles market. It's already set up on Crystal Commerce, which is the industry leading web developer more most magic stores (they also suck dick, but thats an entirely separate issue) so every board game store/comic shop has the tools to sell singles. MiniatureMarket is already deep into it. TrollAndToad and CoolStuffInc are set to follow.

There will be a singles market, as its a CCG thats pretty popular. I've personally made quite a bit selling singles, to the tune of having a playset of most things that were paid for off the proceeds of SWD singles. It's going to start dropping as more and more people get on board, but thats only good for the players.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

The saga sets don't include the starter sets, except for the starter cards that can also be found in packs. Team Covenant has confirmed that on Twitter.

I wasn't sure if it did, but I assumed it still. The point still stands. Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo are $100 right there. Thats only 3 of the 17 legendaries sold. The cheapest legendary right now is AT-ST at about $10.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You are saying you can turn the $300 set into $400, which is just not true. Even if you sell every legendary (which will take a lot of time and effort), the rares and comons/uncommons are going to be increasingly hard to move due to the rarity distribution and small card pool.

My point is that buying the saga set is not a great investment since you still have to buy the chase legendaries to get the second set or dice, which are obviously the most expensive parts of this game. In a month or so you'll be able to buy a playset of commons/uncommons for <$25, and I'm betting the second hand prices on legendaries and rares will dive quickly once demand is met. Yes, it's a good deal compared to trying to buy a playset of everything in boosters, but still not the best way to go about building a full set.

Starters x 2 (or 4 if you want 2x singles) - $25/$50

Covenent set - $300

Second playset of legendaries - $170+,

That's a minimum of $495, but once common/uncommon playsets pop up you'll be able to build a complete playset much cheaper, I would guess more in the $200-$250 range.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 9, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ShowTime posted:

There will be a singles market. It's already set up on Crystal Commerce, which is the industry leading web developer more most magic stores (they also suck dick, but thats an entirely separate issue) so every board game store/comic shop has the tools to sell singles. MiniatureMarket is already deep into it. TrollAndToad and CoolStuffInc are set to follow.

There will be a singles market, as its a CCG thats pretty popular. I've personally made quite a bit selling singles, to the tune of having a playset of most things that were paid for off the proceeds of SWD singles. It's going to start dropping as more and more people get on board, but thats only good for the players.

Definitely. I have traded and sold magic cards as a hobby to pay for other hobbies and expenses for some time. But #mtgfinance is really special. These are all people believing themselves to be stock market tycoons but barely grasp the fundamentals of economics. There's a reddit and YT videos and everything.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
How is that not true? I essentially did it. Things have started to drop, yes, but I can show you my Ebay completed sales of rares if you don't believe me. I sold each rare for at least $9, with some going as high as $17. After shipping and fees that is still plenty.

Also, PennyArcade has a comic out about Star Wars Destiny

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2016/12/09/as-father-and-son

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ShowTime posted:

How is that not true? I essentially did it. Things have started to drop, yes, but I can show you my Ebay completed sales of rares if you don't believe me. I sold each rare for at least $9, with some going as high as $17. After shipping and fees that is still plenty.

Also, PennyArcade has a comic out about Star Wars Destiny

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2016/12/09/as-father-and-son

You turned a $300 saga set (before shipping and taxes) into $400? I know you can sell off everything, but my point was that buying the covenant set is not the best way to actually build a full playset since you're still short a lot of expensive cards, it doesn't include starters, and in a few weeks the bulk of the set will be dirt cheap and buying singles will come out cheaper overall, by a lot.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 9, 2016

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

You turned a $300 saga set (before shipping and taxes) into $400?

Not even a saga set, a single box. 5 Legendary cards/dice and the rares, as well as the bulk. Admittedly this was during Launch, so Darth Vader sold for $50, Millennium Falcon for $35 and a DL-44 Pistol for $17. The other 3 legendary cards sold for between $17 and $25. I kept the Poe Dameron out of it. Bala-Tik for $13. General Grievous x2 for $25. Some of the rares didn't sell, which I still have. Then the bulk I didn't want out of it for about $50.

Edit: I agree with you the market is dropping, buts its still steady enough to be able to profit from a saga set. People do not like spending $300 on something, but are fine to spend between $20-$100. So you just have to break things down to sell. The Saga set is all sorted for you so all the time you lose is from listing the auctions, which can be minimized by just using a template.

Also, Christmas is approaching and product isn't going to be available until right around Christmas, and then not much. Hype is still there so prices aren't going to completely crash. They will crash mid to late January when all the waves are out. But thats over a month from now.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 9, 2016

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
You're doing this all on ebay? I tried doing this way back when I was playing/buying L5R and figured I had about $1k in rares I could sell, including chase rares, etc. I put them all up and didn't get single buyer. I kind of gave up on selling cards on ebay after that, but maybe it was just because it was a dead game at that point (this was back in like 2012).

Obviously it's too late to get on the shortage gravy train, but is this something I can get into once supply issues are gone? I feel like there's a "trick" I missed or something the last time I tried it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You probably missed the only time where flipping boosters will be profitable overall, yeah. As demand catches up prices will plummet and with the cheapest boxes being ~86 and averaging 6 legendaries per box it's going to be hard to break even over the long haul. This is good for players, bad for resellers. The game doesn't have enough chase rares at the kind of rarity or card pool size that would create any crazy prices like MtG.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

You probably missed the only time where flipping boosters will be profitable overall, yeah. As demand catches up prices will plummet and with the cheapest boxes being ~86 and averaging 6 legendaries per box it's going to be hard to break even over the long haul. This is good for players, bad for resellers. The game doesn't have enough chase rares at the kind of rarity or card pool size that would create any crazy prices like MtG.

Yeah, that's what I figured, but I'm mainly thinking in terms of just subsidizing my collection, i.e. buying a couple boxes, selling off duplicates I don't need, etc.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
There might not be a time where this happens again, like Bottom Liner is saying. It didn't work for L5R because people weren't excited for L5R. People love Star Wars, love FFG and love CCG. I still stand by the Saga Set being an OK deal overall, but buying singles is probably a safer bet for players. I personally only plan on playing with Force Hero and Commando Hero stuff, so everything else would be stuff i'd just get rid of. Like we both said, people doing this is better for everyone overall, in the long run.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah that would still work well and how most people approach these games. Also, check for local game shops and gaming Facebook groups to find people that are doing buying/selling/trading, if you're in a larger area it should be pretty easy to move stuff without dealing with ebay or shipping.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

:jerkbag:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hahaha I commented on that same post and just said lollll

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

If you rolled the dice, Drudge Work would be in every single list. I don't understand how you could come to that conclusion.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Look, he said he's not getting into a pissing match about it ok :colbert:

Anyways, the Rey/Han list is definitely getting popular, in large part to being easy to build since it uses Rey and it's got an easy to pull off strategy. Any good counters, or any other lists people are really enjoying? I'm trying to figure out who to run with Poe because vehicles seem really fun.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyways, the Rey/Han list is definitely getting popular, in large part to being easy to build since it uses Rey and it's got an easy to pull off strategy. Any good counters, or any other lists people are really enjoying? I'm trying to figure out who to run with Poe because vehicles seem really fun.

I think Rey is going to become the signature sidekick character in SDW for awhile. It just clicked with me yesterday that she is a character that costs 12 pts but comes with 2 dice. No other characters do that right now. So any 18pt or less elite character works with her. Not to mention that her ability is really good. I was trying to figure out a Poe/Rey deck with her yesterday, but I don't think Commandos and Force work together with just 1 set available.

Edit: Has anyone had success building with Launch Bay. It seems like a super powerful card and can potentially be combined with Poes ability to resolve it immediately. If you could find a way to draw a bunch of cards on your turn, you could potentially Poe it out for a quick 9-10 damage out of nowhere.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 11, 2016

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Bottom Liner posted:

I keep working on stormtroopers + nightsister or stormtroopers + phasma or stormtroopers + tusken raider.

I like stormtroopers.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

3 Ttormtrooper 1 Tusken? What are you running with them and what's the general idea? I've been surprised by the amount of burst damage that can be setup in this game so far so I've been weary of low hp characters getting gibbed super fast.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

3 Ttormtrooper 1 Tusken? What are you running with them and what's the general idea? I've been surprised by the amount of burst damage that can be setup in this game so far so I've been weary of low hp characters getting gibbed super fast.

It's not my favorite option and I don't have a concrete deck built for it, but it was suggested to me. I'm seeing Go For the Kill, Black Market.

the deck is still mostly red and just leans really hard on ranged damage, plus Endless Ranks to give it an effective 40some hit points

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Can you consistently get Endless Ranks off?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Can you consistently get Endless Ranks off?

I have no idea. These things aren't physically available for purchase anywhere so I have little motivation at the moment.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
This game is fairly easy to proxy play. Its been done in MTG for decades and you can do it in this game. All you need is a printer; there are pictures of the cards out there. All cards with dice are just charts with d6s if you really get down to it. Just make sure each d6 is discernible for when you roll a bunch at once and you can play it like that until you can buy more stuff. Gonna make playtesting for tournaments pretty easy.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Did anyone end up ordering 3x booster packs from Amazon? A bunch of people are reporting that they were sent 3x booster boxes instead. You might have gotten lucky if you did manage to buy a few of them.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ShowTime posted:

This game is fairly easy to proxy play. Its been done in MTG for decades and you can do it in this game. All you need is a printer; there are pictures of the cards out there. All cards with dice are just charts with d6s if you really get down to it. Just make sure each d6 is discernible for when you roll a bunch at once and you can play it like that until you can buy more stuff. Gonna make playtesting for tournaments pretty easy.

I just pulled the images from swdestinydb.com but if anyone knows of any higher res images let me know. I made some pdf templates of 9 cards per page which is near perfect.

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY
Finally got a chance to play this yesterday at game night. I really, really like it. The game play loop is really satisfying and it's highly interactive in a non-interactive way I guess? I didn't encounter any huge blowouts and the game is really all about those incremental advantages instead of getting hosed.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
Pulled a Han Solo and a Black One in my first twelve packs. (Edit: And then a Darth Vader and One with the Force in my next two. I almost feel guilty.) Did I just get really lucky, or are many legendaries just overvalued right now? Is there any reason not to just sell these for ~$70 total and buy twenty-some more boosters?

Caedar fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 12, 2016

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Caedar posted:

Pulled a Han Solo and a Black One in my first twelve packs. Did I just get really lucky, or are many legendaries just overvalued right now? Is there any reason not to just sell these for ~$70 total and buy twenty-some more boosters?

Do it fast before the next shipments of boosters come in on the 15th and 22nd.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Caedar posted:

Pulled a Han Solo and a Black One in my first twelve packs. Did I just get really lucky, or are many legendaries just overvalued right now? Is there any reason not to just sell these for ~$70 total and buy twenty-some more boosters?
Everything's overvalued because the supply is low. With current online prices, you can double your money selling just the rares/legendaries from a box. That's not a stable situation, and will end as soon as people can get enough boxes to open (which might not be until January).

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Caedar posted:

If you can get $70 for them, then sure. Realistically you'll get about $40 for them after shipping and fees. Hans are the second most expensive card right now, with Vader still being on the top, though only slightly. I think in another week they will be on par. Black Ones are only about $10-$15, depending on when you buy them. I just bought 2 for $20 a few days ago.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Where are you all selling your cards? Your FLGS or something like CSI?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

ebay is my go-to

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Price will only drop as supply stabilizes. SELL SELL SELL.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Just got word from my distributors that starters are back this week but boosters won't be until the 22nd. Great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
Knowing full well I'll have no one to play with and this game will be collecting dust beside my 3 core sets of AGoT 2e, I just ordered two starters and a booster box, I hate you goons.