Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Wobbuffet! Wobbuffet!! WHERE!?
One of us...

I have yet to play the game and I've opened up something like 80 booster packs (two boxes plus a few). I blame it on being a die-hard Decipher SW:CCG fan back in the day.

I'm planning on going to the learn to play night tomorrow at one of my local FLGSs. Supposedly they are going to start a tournament circuit there in January, so I'm thinking I'll give that a shot too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I grasped the game in one try with the starter deck (with an experienced player showing me) and a week later played two games with someone not much less new than I am and neither of us had a problem. I kept getting extremely lost trying to learn Dicemasters, the main culprit likely being the 10-12 cards that start in the field, potentially affecting the game before their dice are even rolled.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Expect a lot of stuff on Ebay soon. A ton of people that ordered the 3x booster packs through Amazon got shipped 3x booster boxes instead. Expect stuff to start flooding the market, as rather than 10000 people getting 3 booster packs, 1000 people are getting 3 booster boxes and with those extras in the hands of a few there will come more ebay auctions.

Also, if you were one of the lucky people to get 3x booster boxes instead: congrats. I preordered and had a ton of stuff, so didn't bother ordering the packs even though i'm positive i would have gotten 3x booster boxes instead. I was looking at ordering 3 as they went up on Amazon. It looks like it was the first few people to order on Friday, when they went up. People that ordered after that only got the 3 packs they ordered, so at some point they figured out their mistake and started shipping normally.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Just got word from my distributors that starters are back this week but boosters won't be until the 22nd. Great.

At least it's not the Final Fantasy TCG, where starters are probably back this month but boosters won't be available until February. And at least it's not the Final Fantasy TCG because it sucks, unlike what I hear about this game. I mean I wanted Destiny to suck because I don't want to spend money on it, but someone who owns a comic shop came into my LGS today and the game looks fun. The dice look like they're quality, unlike the tiny Dice Masters hunks of plastic. He said he'd save two starters for me so I can hopefully pick it up this week.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ShowTime posted:

Expect a lot of stuff on Ebay soon. A ton of people that ordered the 3x booster packs through Amazon got shipped 3x booster boxes instead. Expect stuff to start flooding the market, as rather than 10000 people getting 3 booster packs, 1000 people are getting 3 booster boxes and with those extras in the hands of a few there will come more ebay auctions.

Also, if you were one of the lucky people to get 3x booster boxes instead: congrats. I preordered and had a ton of stuff, so didn't bother ordering the packs even though i'm positive i would have gotten 3x booster boxes instead. I was looking at ordering 3 as they went up on Amazon. It looks like it was the first few people to order on Friday, when they went up. People that ordered after that only got the 3 packs they ordered, so at some point they figured out their mistake and started shipping normally.
don't they just normally cancel orders like that? that's one hell of a fuckup

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Went and visited my newish and only local game(rural Australia) and it was actually really, really nice. I plan on playing X-wing there and Destiny but talking to the employee there they said that no one really plays it around here. The had plenty of stock but a lot of the CCG crew are die hard MTOG and gently caress me..... Yu-Gi-oh. I remember back in the day when I was still in the US some companies would send out someone to do a Demo Day with new games they wanted to shill. Do those things still happen and who would I contact to try to get one going?

Want to play game bad.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Bought two boosters at my xwing regionals and pulled Vader. Won a few more boosters in a destiny side event and pulled a Launch Bay.

Bought three boosters at my FLGS tonight and pulled Phasma and another Launch Bay.

This is only encouraging bad financial decisions to feed my addiction.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I swore I'd never get into any kind of blind booster collectible game again but fuuuuuck this looks really good. What are the dice like? Are the faces just crappy stickers? I'm trying to save my wallet and make excuses to not start throwing money at this

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I swore I'd never get into any kind of blind booster collectible game again but fuuuuuck this looks really good. What are the dice like? Are the faces just crappy stickers? I'm trying to save my wallet and make excuses to not start throwing money at this

Well... don't read this...

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/7/29/star-wars-destiny/

quote:

What makes the dice different?

Unlike many games, the dice in Star Wars: Destiny do not use stickers. Instead, the dice are plastic-injected like normal dice and rolled in a tumbler to add a fine, smooth polish to every die. The images on each side are then physically heat-pressed onto the dice, essentially printing the artwork directly onto the plastic. Finally, the die is covered in a scratch-resistant coating, allowing you to roll these dice without their quality deteriorating.

The dice are durable af

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Wrong Star Wars thread. How about those dice eh?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The downside of making awesome dice is that FFG way underestimated the manufacturing time. Hopefully they have a handle on it, and future expansions have enough manufacturing lead time to actuallt meet demand.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Well poo poo...guess this means one thing for my disposable income

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

What sleeves ya'll using?

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

uncle blog posted:

What sleeves ya'll using?

Most the serious MTG players I've met seem to think KMC makes the best sleeves with Dragon Shield up there too. The other benefits to KMC sleeves are that they're reasonably priced (~$10 for 100) and work well for double-sleeving if that's your thing.

I grabbed a couple packs since I can't have both my hero and villain decks in the same color sleeves :spergin:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Cool Stuff had Starters in for about a nanosecond.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Deviant posted:

Cool Stuff had Starters in for about a nanosecond.

Looks like they still do. They are limiting to 1 per customer.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Ordered a Kylo Ren starter pack let my dark decent into booster pack hell begin anew

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

stoko posted:

Most the serious MTG players I've met seem to think KMC makes the best sleeves with Dragon Shield up there too. The other benefits to KMC sleeves are that they're reasonably priced (~$10 for 100) and work well for double-sleeving if that's your thing.

I grabbed a couple packs since I can't have both my hero and villain decks in the same color sleeves :spergin:

If Destiny is my only chance to use the rad FFG art sleeves I don't think I can miss that opportunity

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

People resleeve the cards for every deck they make?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I haven't used FFG art sleeves yet but if you do, you should probably get oversleeves for them because the art tends to rub off.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Yeah, ffg art sleeves are bad quality.

I am double sleeving everything in kmc perfect fits inside dragon shields.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
I've had no issues with FFG art sleeves, FWIW.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

pbpancho posted:

I've had no issues with FFG art sleeves, FWIW.

I use FFG sleeves for most non-standard sized cards and haven't had any issues. That said, KMC was both cheaper and better reviewed, so I decided to go that way the last time I needed regular opaque sleeves.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I'm just gonna dig out all my old L5R decks and use those sleeves. No idea what those are.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
KMC hyper mattes are the best sleeves i've ever used

Ultimate Guard's are decent also

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

uncle blog posted:

People resleeve the cards for every deck they make?

I stand by my netrunner theory:

:btroll:: "You don't sleeve your cards?
:geno:: "Only decks that work get sleeves."

i haven't sleeved a netrunner deck in a year. :(

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
Just run Indexing, best card in the game

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

bowmore posted:

KMC hyper mattes are the best sleeves i've ever used

Ultimate Guard's are decent also

Do the KMC hyper mattes fit snuggly on these Star Wars cards? I hate cards constantly shifting around in sleeves

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
"Spot a Blue character to..." is a really ugly way to template "If you control a Blue character..."

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

"Spot a Blue character to..." is a really ugly way to template "If you control a Blue character..."

Do you control the character if you haven't rolled their dice yet?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

I believe they call it this because later on you may spot non-characters for effects. Spot a vehicle, spot a weapon, etc. It's better to stay away from the word control when you can, so consider them using the word spot as just streamlining the rules.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Is this game playable and fun for two players with one copy of each starter?

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

canyoneer posted:

My wife and I did this for a couple of weeks. She really enjoyed it, as did I. I think it starts to run a little dry after enough games, but that's when I opened the 12 boosters we bought together and it helped get us up to 1 full sized deck each. She compares it to Dominion at this stage, since there are no boosters to buy until next Thursday.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Looks like Cool Stuff has singles on their website.

I wonder when I'll be able to buy a Common/Unc/Whatever play set.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

Yeah it is! I'm hooked now after playing it tonight. My friend and I got the rules down after not even three turns.

I love the action economy with the alternating actions. It's the best application of that kind of thing I've ever seen.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Do the KMC hyper mattes fit snuggly on these Star Wars cards? I hate cards constantly shifting around in sleeves
Not really, the sw cards are slimmer than normal

they don't shift much at all though

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Been playing LCG with FFG sleeves for years and never had any issue with them, but I use a playmat and wash my hands

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I beat an Amidala mill deck the other night with my "Mash two starters together" deck. His was designed to not do any damage. It came down to two cards in hand and two in the deck before I crapped out six damage onto Amidala. One of the keys of facing a mill deck is claiming the battlefield before they do :v:

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I beat an Amidala mill deck the other night with my "Mash two starters together" deck. His was designed to not do any damage. It came down to two cards in hand and two in the deck before I crapped out six damage onto Amidala. One of the keys of facing a mill deck is claiming the battlefield before they do :v:

I've found that playing against those mill builds, you need to have a solid opening hand. If you can drop some upgrades and support early on to put out some damage, they can mill you out all day. Just out-roll them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I've found that playing against those mill builds, you need to have a solid opening hand. If you can drop some upgrades and support early on to put out some damage, they can mill you out all day. Just out-roll them!

I had an Enrage in my opening hand. Mulliganed all four cards, pulled two of the same cards and two other useless openers. Was hoping for a second turn Lightsaber.