Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I'm trying to wrap up two decks and find myself in possession of a couple Darth Vaders I am not playing. Anyone happen to have a Han Solo, a Poe Dameron and a few other things to trade for them? I should probably wait until I open the box I ordered, but thats about a week away. I could maybe also spend some money on these and a few other cards if anyone is looking to get rid of them. Off the top of my head I could maybe use another Launch Bay, maybe an AT-ST. gently caress it, i'll make a list.

Want:
Han Solo 1
Poe Dameron 1
Datapad 1-4
Comlink 1-4
Jetpack 1
Launch Bay 1
Millennium Falcon 1
AT-ST 1

Have:
Darth Vader 1-2
Count Dooku 1-2
Starter Cards (just ask, I have extra Lightsabers and some of the others that only come 1 per starter)
$$$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

The man at my local tournament today who has bought six booster boxes was very upset when he lost to my Kylo+Stormtrooper+Stormtrooper deck made of 3 starters + 3 boosters.

Intimidate is a very good card.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Deviant posted:

The man at my local tournament today who has bought six booster boxes was very upset when he lost to my Kylo+Stormtrooper+Stormtrooper deck made of 3 starters + 3 boosters.

I'm impressed with both that someone was able to buy six booster boxes and there was a place that had a local tournament. I've bought ten packs along with both starters and an extra Rey starter. In all of my packs I only pulled Villain characters and a shitload of yellow Villain cards, so I'm going to use the extra Rey starter to boost my Hero deck and the other cards for my Villain deck.

Unlike every other game, the game doesn't feel watered down when you're playing with just starter cards. There's a lot of strategy just with the premade starter decks. Even with Game of Thrones LCG, which is a very well designed game, you could tell that the introductory decks were an afterthought. These feel more like Magic's duel decks.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
If I get more Stormtroopers I want to do a 4 stormtrooper deck. I'm sure it'll be very bad because it seems like having an elite with two dice is good because of action efficiency to get dice into your pool, but I always liked having lovely decks like that in Decipher CCG with like 15 troopers or whatever.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Deviant posted:

post ye list

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

Finster Dexter posted:

If I get more Stormtroopers I want to do a 4 stormtrooper deck. I'm sure it'll be very bad because it seems like having an elite with two dice is good because of action efficiency to get dice into your pool, but I always liked having lovely decks like that in Decipher CCG with like 15 troopers or whatever.
I don't know... Endless Ranks and Squad Tactics are really good cards. I watched a couple youtube matches where a guy tries out a 4 FO Stormtrooper deck and it looks like it might be doable with the right cards.
Just remember to roll your troopers one at a time so as not to confuse which die goes with which 'trooper.

EDIT: Here it is: www.youtube.com/user/SlingPaintTV/videos

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

KO Derf posted:

I don't know... Endless Ranks and Squad Tactics are really good cards. I watched a couple youtube matches where a guy tries out a 4 FO Stormtrooper deck and it looks like it might be doable with the right cards.
Just remember to roll your troopers one at a time so as not to confuse which die goes with which 'trooper.

EDIT: Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/user/SlingPaintTV/videos

Yeah, those are exactly the cards that made me think "hey, there might be something here."

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

Finster Dexter posted:

Yeah, those are exactly the cards that made me think "hey, there might be something here."

I wish there was a Power of the Dark Side equivalent for mono-Red. Rolling blanks sucks, but rolling blanks and dealing damage is so nice in my Vader/2Trooper deck.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Thing is 4 troopers are 28 points, for 29 points you get 3 Troopers and Nightsister, so that gets you access to blue cards, or go for 2 Troopers, Nightsister and Bala-tik and you get yellow too.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

bowmore posted:

post ye list

eKylo
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order Stormtrooper

Imperial Armory
Power of the Dark Side x2
First Order TIE Fighter

Mind Probe x2
Sith Holocron
Force Throw
Holdout Blaster
immobilize
F-11D Rifle x2
Infantry Grenades
Lightsaber

Use the Force
Disturbance in the Force
Aim
Closing the Net
Take Cover
Firepower x2
Surgical Strike
Close Quarters Assault
Intimidate x2
Enrage x2
Dodge
Block
Nowhere to Run
Occupation

Half-assed at best, worked well enough.

Quick thoughts: Needs "Emperor's Throne Room" battlefield, no Enrage, more use the Force, more nowhere to run

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 18, 2016

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Deviant posted:

How did they structure the tournament? We are trying our first event today and have 13 players. We're doing 75min rounds, best 2 out of 3. I feel like we will end up with a lot of draws and I'm interested to see how FFG structures the official rules. I feel like the game can play quickly if people are up to speed, and one-and-done feels bad if you lose to Grievous aggro in 10 minutes.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Dr. Clockwork posted:

How did they structure the tournament? We are trying our first event today and have 13 players. We're doing 75min rounds, best 2 out of 3. I feel like we will end up with a lot of draws and I'm interested to see how FFG structures the official rules. I feel like the game can play quickly if people are up to speed, and one-and-done feels bad if you lose to Grievous aggro in 10 minutes.

it was just 3 quick one and done rounds. nothing fancy.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Did anyone else notice that the Awakenings set includes only characters and events from the first movie of each Star Wars trilogy (plus some generic SW universe art for the fittingly generic cards)? At least that's my impression from two starters and ten packs. If it is that way, it's an inventive way to force themselves to not spread their game's theme too thin too quickly.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

BJPaskoff posted:

Did anyone else notice that the Awakenings set includes only characters and events from the first movie of each Star Wars trilogy (plus some generic SW universe art for the fittingly generic cards)? At least that's my impression from two starters and ten packs. If it is that way, it's an inventive way to force themselves to not spread their game's theme too thin too quickly.

I am pretty sure they are spread around a little in terms of the films. General Veers is from Empire, Count Dooky was in Episode 2 or 3 (I just remember it wasn't Ep. 1), and Jabba was in Jedi (assuming you don't count the added scene to A New Hope).

Someone in my gaming group pointed out something that works for everything but Red Heroes. Each color/side group has a character from each of the trilogies.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BJPaskoff posted:

I've seen stuff from Star Wars Rebels and Clone Wars for the art on several cards, and I'm pretty sure the sith woman on the art for No Mercy is from the Clone Wars series. Assuming they also take from Rogue One, that gives them 8 movies and two TV series to take characters and events from. I think they're good for another couple of sets yet.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I would be surprised if actual characters don't get new cards with different powers. They all have titles, or nicknames, or subtitles or whatever under their names.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I would be surprised if actual characters don't get new cards with different powers. They all have titles, or nicknames, or subtitles or whatever under their names.

FFG does this with AGoT already, right?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Caedar posted:

FFG does this with AGoT already, right?

I don't even know what that is :v: A Game of Thrones? I imagine that would be even more limited on characters.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Yeah aGoT has different versions of named characters. The sub-names are definitely FFG leaving themselves the option of different versions of characters.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
Lord of the Rings LCG has 3 versions of Aragorn without any use of sub-titles. Different art and different special abilities. The rules prevent running more than one at the time naturally.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Chazani posted:

Lord of the Rings LCG has 3 versions of Aragorn without any use of sub-titles. Different art and different special abilities. The rules prevent running more than one at the time naturally.

How do you differentiate them in a list? Dicemasters uses acronyms for heroes, and Warmachine uses something similar.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Admiral Joeslop posted:

How do you differentiate them in a list? Dicemasters uses acronyms for heroes, and Warmachine uses something similar.

In LOTR the implied sub is the sphere (Lore, Leadership, or Fellowship).
In the online deck list creators it's made pretty obvious because the color of the text is different.

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 19, 2016

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So far my wife and I have bought 19 loose boosters, a booster box and one each of the two starters. We've had decent luck with the legendaries, we have 2 Millennium Falcons, a Darth Vader, Han Solo, Phasma, Commanding Presence, Poe Dameron, and Black One. One of the LFGS in the city does Destiny on Wednesdays, and has already ordered prize kits from FFG. I've thrown together a couple of decks I want to try out on Wednesday, should I try them out there before posting the decks here for critique, or :justpost:?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
You can try them out and post them. The game is in such the early stages that people aren't able to recommend too much, just because everyone is pretty limited in both their experience and the product availability. Even if I wanted to recommend something like a second Darth Vader, that might not be possible for you. I guess a list of staple cards might be a good thing to put together though. I've only played with a eLuke/Rey deck, so I could take a look at Force Hero decks and probably tell you things that work/don't work for me. This is my Force Hero deck I have built, and there are some things I want to change but haven't yet. It's basically as good as I can get it with what is currently available:

Luke Skywalker Jedi Knight (20pt)
Rey Force Prodigy (9pt)
Imperial Armory

Luke Skywalker's Lightsaber x2
Lightsaber x2
One With the Force x2
Force Protection x2
Mind Probe x2
Jedi Robes x2
Force Throw x2
Force Training x2
It Binds All Things x2
BB-8 x1
Comlink x1
Datapad x1
Use the Force x1
Force Misdirection x1
Willpower x2
Close Quarters Assault x1
Return of the Jedi x2
The Power of the Force x2

I could probably cut down to 1x Mind Probe and put in another Datapad or Comlink, though it would probably be another Datapad. I generally only play any of the neutral supports on turn 1, and after that I look to just keep playing upgrades and use any neutral supports I draw to reroll or redraw. I would never go below two Return of the Jedi or The Power of the Force, as both of those cards are incredible for 12-15 damage turn 3 and turn 4. The Power of the Force turns any melee damage into a 4-6 damage die, which is great when you combine them with Lukes 3-damage die and the 3-damage options on the lightsabers and One With The Force. OWTF I usually try and get to be a Focus 3, which lets me setup crazy damage turns. The rest of the events are just there for situational needs. I'd probably cut the Willpowers for something different if I could find something different.

Edit: Return of the Jedi and The Power of the Force are so good i'm thinking about scrapping Luke, as incredible as he might be, and going with epic Rey and two Padawan instead. This would allow me to get an additional die, more HP overall and allow me to put out an additional three upgrades. Having 3 characters maxed out on upgrades means The Power of the Force turns any melee damage die into 9 damage. Return of the Jedi just puts it back in your hand to do it again.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 19, 2016

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Here are the two decks I've thrown together so far that still need testing. Many of the cards that are one-of are only because... I only have one copy of it. Is it better to run epic characters or to spread them out? Or is that something that people are still trying to work out? I'm open to suggestions, but I'm missing about 25 cards in general, and another 30-odd that I only have one copy or dice for.

Hero Mill
    Character
    Admiral Ackbar (1 die)
    Qui-Gon Jinn (2 die)

Upgrade
    x2 Jedi Robes
    x2 Lightsaber
    x1 Mind Probe
    x1 Scout
    x2 Survival Gear

Support
    x2 Jedi Council
    x1 Outpost
    x1 Resistance HQ

Event
    x2 Block
    x2 Defensive Position
    x2 Defensive Stance
    x2 Deflect
    x2 Dug in
    x2 Patience
    x2 Riposte
    x2 Strategic Planning
    x2 Take Cover

Battlefield
    Command Center

General idea is to mill them out while using Qui-Gon's ability to deal damage while turtling, and Ackbar's there mostly for the 1/3 chance of resource generation and to punish the opponent if they run out of cards in hand.

Villain beatstick
    Character (3)
    Count Dooku (1 die)
    Kylo Ren (1 die)
    Tusken Raider (1 die)

Upgrade
    x1 Flame Thrower
    x1 Force Throw
    x2 Gaffi Stick
    x2 Immobilize
    x2 Lightsaber
    x1 Mind Probe
    x1 Prized Possession
    x2 Sith Holocron

Support
    x2 Backup Muscle
    x2 Underworld Connections

Event
    x2 Close Quarters Assault
    x2 Deflect
    x2 Enrage
    x2 Nowhere to Run
    x2 Scramble
    x2 Unpredictable
    x2 Use The Force

Battlefield
    Emperor's Throne Room

All the melee dice! But seriously, all melee all the time. I would love to get Close Quarters Assault to empty their hand. Backup Muscle is there for the cheap, reliable unblockable damage. I just wish I could find some way to return your own support cards to your hand.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 19, 2016

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

It's usually going to depend on your deck setup. If I had a second Jango die and any yellow cards at all, I'd go hard in on him. Free actions are wonderful; I had two lightsabers on him after Kylo died. My opponent activates a character because it's the start of the round and he has nothing else to do. I roll Jango's dice for one melee and two +2 melee from the sabers. Amidala eats five damage and dies before she can do anything.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It's usually going to depend on your deck setup. If I had a second Jango die and any yellow cards at all, I'd go hard in on him. Free actions are wonderful; I had two lightsabers on him after Kylo died. My opponent activates a character because it's the start of the round and he has nothing else to do. I roll Jango's dice for one melee and two +2 melee from the sabers. Amidala eats five damage and dies before she can do anything.

That's sort of why I went with Tusken Raider in my villain deck. Sure, his ability costs you a card to use, but you can do it before the opponent gets a chance to act. He's a bit less consistent than Jango on his dice faces, but taking him lets me take a second force user.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I don't have near enough stuff yet, but how is mono Command Villains doing, presumably with either ePhasma or eVeers and some troopers? Are any mono colored decks feeling viable with just the base set?

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Card pool is small enough and the costs of going dual colour small enough that the only mono builds I've seen are in blue, Kylo/Nightsister builds, Rey and Dual Padawans or Rey and Qui-Gon. It Binds All Things being the best value resource generator in the game just plays into that and the requirements for some blue upgrades seals the deal.

There is probably also Pharasma 2 Troopers, but I prefer 2 Trooper and Jango or 2 Trooper, Nightsister and Bala'tik.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

HidaO-Win posted:

Card pool is small enough and the costs of going dual colour small enough that the only mono builds I've seen are in blue, Kylo/Nightsister builds, Rey and Dual Padawans or Rey and Qui-Gon. It Binds All Things being the best value resource generator in the game just plays into that and the requirements for some blue upgrades seals the deal.

I'm partial to Underworld Connections over It Binds All Things. It costs 1 more to play, but just generates resources instead of reducing the cost of a specific colored card-type.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

BJPaskoff posted:

At least it's not the Final Fantasy TCG, where starters are probably back this month but boosters won't be available until February. And at least it's not the Final Fantasy TCG because it sucks, unlike what I hear about this game. I mean I wanted Destiny to suck because I don't want to spend money on it, but someone who owns a comic shop came into my LGS today and the game looks fun. The dice look like they're quality, unlike the tiny Dice Masters hunks of plastic. He said he'd save two starters for me so I can hopefully pick it up this week.

what made you or anyone else itt think FFTCG sucks? the mechanics look sound. the art is kind of hit or miss but it isnt bad. ive been eyeballing both games and trying to decide which id enjoy more

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Blazing Zero posted:

what made you or anyone else itt think FFTCG sucks? the mechanics look sound. the art is kind of hit or miss but it isnt bad. ive been eyeballing both games and trying to decide which id enjoy more

I've played a few games of it, I don't know if you have. It's the standard rip-off of Magic's mechanics because they wanted to put a card game out there, but didn't want to risk going outside the expected mechanics. You play characters, but in addition to tapping backup characters (lands), you can discard cards from your hand to get "mana". Then you can turn your guys sideways to attack, and your opponent can block with their characters, and you compare numbers to see which character dies. But you can't attack on the first turn. What a novel game mechanic, where did they come up with that? The turn sequence is exactly Magic's, also, it's just lazy. Then there's the awkward translation from Japanese, but at least it doesn't have the tiny text problem that other Japanese import games have.

If you want to play watered down Magic with Final Fantasy characters, it's okay I guess. And the synergy between characters from the same game is neat. From what I've heard it's a balanced game, even in Japan where the game's been out for years, so it's got that over Magic's Standard format at least for the time being.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Wobbuffet! Wobbuffet!! WHERE!?

ShowTime posted:

Want:
Poe Dameron 1
Launch Bay 1

Have:
Darth Vader 1
Count Dooku 2

You still looking for a Poe and a Launch Bay? I'd trade the two of them for your extra Vader and two Dookus if that works.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

BJPaskoff posted:

I've played a few games of it, I don't know if you have. It's the standard rip-off of Magic's mechanics because they wanted to put a card game out there, but didn't want to risk going outside the expected mechanics. You play characters, but in addition to tapping backup characters (lands), you can discard cards from your hand to get "mana". Then you can turn your guys sideways to attack, and your opponent can block with their characters, and you compare numbers to see which character dies. But you can't attack on the first turn. What a novel game mechanic, where did they come up with that? The turn sequence is exactly Magic's, also, it's just lazy. Then there's the awkward translation from Japanese, but at least it doesn't have the tiny text problem that other Japanese import games have.

If you want to play watered down Magic with Final Fantasy characters, it's okay I guess. And the synergy between characters from the same game is neat. From what I've heard it's a balanced game, even in Japan where the game's been out for years, so it's got that over Magic's Standard format at least for the time being.

It's clearly in the Magic family, but I don't think you're being fair here. Burning cards for resources is a massive difference in how the actual game plays, even if design-wise it's just a tweak. There's also the quite significant difference that your character's fighting prowess doesn't matter when they hit the opponent, only in combat: each player can take seven hits from individual attacking cards, regardless of power. That changes a lot about how aggression works, as do some more minor changes (gang attacks, not gang blocks). Sure, you can express the design as "magic, but", but that doesn't mean the changes aren't intentional and don't create different and interesting gameplay.

It's impossible to get so I have no idea how the top-level competitive game is, but I got the starters and a few boosters to learn it, and I've enjoyed the dozen or so games I've played so far.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
a lot of card games could be expressed as magic, but ______. sw:d looks kinda like magic commander but with dice

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Blazing Zero posted:

a lot of card games could be expressed as magic, but ______. sw:d looks kinda like magic commander but with dice

Only if you abstract it down a lot or go by strictly table appearance and ignore all mechanics. The FFCCG does look a lot closer to MtG, Destiny is about as radically different as I've seen barring the coop LCGs.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bring back locations from SWCCG. Having just one shared battlefield is the most boring part of MTG. But of course people will just say it's "magic with planechase :rolleyes:"

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Chill la Chill posted:

Bring back locations from SWCCG. Having just one shared battlefield is the most boring part of MTG. But of course people will just say it's "magic with planechase :rolleyes:"

SWCCG System/Site Locations were perhaps my single favorite part about that game. I've wanted to see a game utilize something similar, but have yet to see it (except the generic spin-off of the engine when SW went away). Did Conquest (RIP) do something similar? I know I read it had location cards you fought over, but not sure if it was really the same thing.

Actually on thread topic, anyone hear any word from their FLGS on arrival of the next wave of boosters? Some family claims to have found some locally for Christmas gifts, but I'm assuming anything they found was left over from the first run.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Merauder posted:

SWCCG System/Site Locations were perhaps my single favorite part about that game. I've wanted to see a game utilize something similar, but have yet to see it (except the generic spin-off of the engine when SW went away). Did Conquest (RIP) do something similar? I know I read it had location cards you fought over, but not sure if it was really the same thing.

Actually on thread topic, anyone hear any word from their FLGS on arrival of the next wave of boosters? Some family claims to have found some locally for Christmas gifts, but I'm assuming anything they found was left over from the first run.

Our second wave stuff is trickling in this week, but radically less than we hoped for. Alliance says they only got 100 boxes total for the entire country, for example. We're barely going to be able to cover our advance orders, let alone have any to put on the shelves, sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Ultiville posted:

Our second wave stuff is trickling in this week, but radically less than we hoped for. Alliance says they only got 100 boxes total for the entire country, for example. We're barely going to be able to cover our advance orders, let alone have any to put on the shelves, sigh.

Do you know how Alliance's allocation compared against GTS/ACD/the rest?