Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Any one in Pacific remember the player run village of Paws?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember enjoying belan's stories last time I read them http://www.askcorran.com/belan/

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Stumpus posted:

Never been but definitely remember reading about that ages ago

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
Imanewbie was friendly with our guild and would drop by sometimes. I tried to find a record of a specific instance he dropped by but all I could find was this.

http://www.llts.org/History.php?p=22ImaNewbie

quote:

A "Meet ImaNewbie" event was held and dozens of players turned out to say hi! He has been a guest judge at AD contests and a fresh new face on the Atlantic world and especially at AD events. Currently living in a small house on Arx Draconis, ImaNewbie has added humor and brought a breathe of fresh air to Atlantic shard.

he was a good dude. :unsmith:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Charles Mansion posted:

I liked B0N3D00D and pLaTeDeWd

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stumpus posted:

There were a few Paws on multiple servers, the one on LS was where I would hunt. I think it was near the ruins between Brit and Trinsic, just like where it was in earlier Ultima games.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Siljmonster posted:

There were a few Paws on multiple servers, the one on LS was where I would hunt. I think it was near the ruins between Brit and Trinsic, just like where it was in earlier Ultima games.

Fun run to get there. If I recall that takes you to the x-roads which was basically the Dread Lord Saloon on great lakes.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
I remember there was this player named Dread Lord Hobbes who was being attacked by what seemed like hundreds of players. He was making a stand and killing several of them. Bodies everywhere. Mine too. Game was lagging hard. Guy was my hero.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Stumpus posted:

Tell me about Paws.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
this brought back some memories.. I played this game for 5 years.

Napa Valley Server as Village Idiot/kull

Ran around with two idiots called Lefty/Righty and a guy named Nihm.

Good old days..

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Lizard Wizard posted:

Tell me about Paws.
Paws! Trammel time.

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.
it was because of imanewbie that I was directed to click on a link to something called leet liek jeff!!1 and received my first taste of SA. if only I knew then that I was starting down a path that would transform me into a broken 30 year old sadbrains burden to society...

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Angela Lansburial posted:

it was because of imanewbie that I was directed to click on a link to something called leet liek jeff!!1 and received my first taste of SA. if only I knew then that I was starting down a path that would transform me into a broken 30 year old sadbrains burden to society...
Should have chosen Lunix and Fprotted your tarball. Now yuo =

Oh wait, can't finish that one anymore, apologies

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I never played UO for some reason, but I remember the stories from the griefing thread. Some of those were amazing.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

My fondest memory of UO is doing Felucca champion spawns with my friends and being able to easily outrun all the reds that came to interfere because we had ADSL at a time when everyone else was still on 56k modems. Having broadband was literally a cheat code.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

Stumpus posted:

I do remember that! Although I can't quite remember where it was located. I was on Pacific. Owned a house right next to the Trinsic moongate and stole from people who browsed my vendor.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Ojetor posted:

My fondest memory of UO is doing Felucca champion spawns with my friends and being able to easily outrun all the reds that came to interfere because we had ADSL at a time when everyone else was still on 56k modems. Having broadband was literally a cheat code.

You ain't kidding. My parents opted for cable internet directly out of the gate, so when I played UO I could do things at literally twice or even triple the speed of people on 56k, and by the time people would catch me stealing poo poo out of their bag, I'd be a screen and a half away laughing my way to safety probably running face-first into a bear and getting mauled to death.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

UO was the best game and this thread is hardcore nostalgia thank you

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

pretty much sums up human history in 4 words

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
UO was the perfectly crafted game for a 12 year old. Shoutout to the Napa Valley Brit graveyard crew.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fats posted:

UO was the perfectly crafted game for a 12 year old. Shoutout to the Napa Valley Brit graveyard crew.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Shoutout to the guys who killed my rear end with fireballs that seek you across the whole map the first time I played and for months after

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Shoutout to my fellow Trammel carebears. The lemonade at the stand in Hythloth is delicious!

Still think they should have burned an IDOC every year in memory of Housingberg, when they opened Trammel to plot-dropping and the whole drat thing shat itself.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 10, 2016

Magwai
Aug 16, 2002
Snail Priest

Ojetor posted:

At one point I was fighting a guy at the Graveyard near Delucia, and during our talking poo poo fest.

Him: UOE?
Me: Nah, ADSL
Him: Where can I download that?

I played on Baja, my best memory was was a tamer that barricaded the Britain healer with a ton of tamed pets. So Ghosts would go in, and couldn't leave. And if you tried to fight the animals, you'd get guardkilled. And even if you walked around and found a wandering healer, it would teleport you back to the Britain healer for some reason. We also had a big in person meetup for the Baja shard. Ronald McDonald ( The dude with those flash videos linked earlier ) showed up.

As for UO comics, the one I kinda miss, but can't find was "Lost in UO". The best I could find is the website in the wayback machine saying they're going away. But none of the comic's themselves.
-edit-
Actually found the comics, the link was an image map, over an image that was deleted.
http://lostinuo.tripod.com/comics.htm

Magwai fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 10, 2016

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
98-99 Pacific mining crew and suicide bomb squad. We managed to kill a GM a few times with that trick.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

IDOC frenzies were my drat favorite. Several guys ganking, looting, trying to place a replacement house all at the same time. Utter chaos.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Angela Lansburial posted:

UO truly is the adolescence of the modern failson.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Sonoma had a pretty active RP community, both on the player side and the origin volunteers (troubadours). YMCA Castle near Yew was a magnet for interesting poo poo, that and the melee tournaments. Fun times for a 16 year old with a bevy of free time. And lum the mad, talk about memory lane. That's where I rolled out this nickname.

That era is my video game equivalent for how people think the crappy music from their youth was the best, most magical poo poo ever, never to be topped.

lost my retainer
Oct 28, 2002

Blow me

Ojetor posted:

Cable + a macro tool was great for (unfair) PvP. People on dialup were loot pinatas.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Stumpus posted:

Man, I was in loooooove with Saria.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Magwai posted:

Actually found the comics, the link was an image map, over an image that was deleted.
http://lostinuo.tripod.com/comics.htm

holy poo poo i just went through a star trek like time portal help

captainhowdy
Jan 3, 2014

Now kindly undo these straps.
Haha, wow..

I was GlOriOuS GoNzO and Lard Brutish on Lake Superior. Good times.
Crazy to see Cookie Monster also posted here :)

PraxxisParadoX
Jan 24, 2004
bittah.com
Pillbug

Magwai posted:

Him: UOE?
Me: Nah, ADSL
Him: Where can I download that?

Speaking of UOE, someone has put up the source code to a bunch of UOExtreme/UOAssist-like tools, as well as a couple of clients, if you're into that kind of thing.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
Ardemia on Chesapeake

Whats good, Deceit wall. Bucs den best den

My favorite character was my GM mage/fisherman/alchemist. MiBs were so much fun to do!

On the Trammel housing night I stayed up til dawn and finally managed to place a log cabin. I sold that fucker for like 2 mil later

This game was so much of my free time from like 1999-2005. Faction wars were a shitload of fun!

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I was a bab when Ultima Online came out but I'm sure it was neat

So did Runescape just straight up rip off UO's whole deal?

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Ardemia posted:

Ardemia on Chesapeake

Whats good, Deceit wall. Bucs den best den

My favorite character was my GM mage/fisherman/alchemist. MiBs were so much fun to do!

On the Trammel housing night I stayed up til dawn and finally managed to place a log cabin. I sold that fucker for like 2 mil later

This game was so much of my free time from like 1999-2005. Faction wars were a shitload of fun!

I actually thought the game started getting really lovely when bound weapons became a thing.

Make a dexer, bind a battle axe of vanquishing to him.. do faction warfare with 3 people, own poo poo.

Glory days were after they put in murder/criminal system and before trammel.. it was such a horrible idea to do a non-pvp zone of trammel..

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

vendor buy bank guards recsu recdu

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ostentatious posted:

I was a bab when Ultima Online came out but I'm sure it was neat

So did Runescape just straight up rip off UO's whole deal?

I thought Runescape came out first?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I thought Runescape came out first?

Hello no, Runescape was sometime in the early 2000s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
I think I played on Chesapeake - did anybody else interact with the Blobs (not sure if they were on other shards)? They were all named "Blob", had no hair/beards, wore no armor or clothes, fought/PK'd in big groups, and used spears for paralyzing, so this was after that feature was added in. I also don't think they ever typed messages to other players themselves, but they were really well-coordinated, so I think they used whatever voice chat was available in that era. I think the idea was to drop into a new server as a group and be able to cause some notable disruption and attract some attention before they even had enough gold collectively to accomplish much else.

I briefly tried to copy what they did, but only, like, one friend would do it with me, so it didn't work.

I played UO for several years but I never managed to become a grandmaster in any skill ever. I never learned how to play a mage, either.

• Locked thread