Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
My favourite is when the dragon tamed him instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
fethers

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I remember seeing a Third Dawn dance emote, and thinking it looked like someone folded a playing card in two places.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Shoutout to my fellow Trammel carebears. The lemonade at the stand in Hythloth is delicious!

Still think they should have burned an IDOC every year in memory of Housingberg, when they opened Trammel to plot-dropping and the whole drat thing shat itself.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 10, 2016

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
My housemate joined the counselors shortly after they canned the Seer programme. I think I quit UO after watching her attend a candlelight funeral for the Seers.

To be honest I did look into applying to be a counselor, but part of the process involved a lot of stupid trivia about the spawn points of various rares, and that felt like a bad sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I think that was just the GMs.

From what I remember, the end of the Seer programme was due to two things. First, and probably lesser, things were... hinky behind the scenes. People abusing their petty power, people literally loving around, the kind of poo poo you'd hear about after a MUD exploded.

More importantly, a massive court judgment had recently come down against AOL. Remember AOL? At the time, and for years prior, they used shittons of unpaid volunteer moderators and helpstaff, until someone sued over it. The courts decided that big, for-profit organizations couldn't legally use for-free labour, AOL gave their volunteers the boot, and the people in charge of the Seers broke into a cold sweat.

Not that the programme was worth saving. Distribution across the servers was pretty lopsided, from what I was told, and what was supposed to be a source of dynamic events and little things to bring the world to life tended to devolve into players swarming events or the Seers acting as dungeon masters for their favourite bands of players. Like that wacky ecosystem they implemented early on, it was an innocent idea that didn't work out anywhere near as well in production than it did in planning.

• Locked thread