Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

*Gurgling noise*

I'm glad that you asked! Dropsy is a point and click game born out of a CYOA thread on this very site, created by Jay Tholen. After popular appeal, Tholen took that idea and with the help of Jesse Bull, David Walton, and Chris Schlarb, created a real adventure game out of the plot. Published by Devolver Digital, it is hailed as an unsung gem of adventure games.

*Bob up and down repeatedly*

You've heard correctly, this is an adventure game with zero dialogue, only pictures and emoticons. There is the rare garbled sentance, but it is intentionally gibberish. Dropsy communicates entirely through body movements, including body flailing and hugs!

*Slightly creepy smile*

Yes, hugs! Because that is the real objective of the game, to hug everyone and every thing possible. People, animals, trees, rocks, everything.

*Wiggly arms*

This will be a blind run with vocal commentary, with a current schedule of a 10-15 minute episode per weekday. I will announce any changes to the schedule on here and on my Twitter, @Dreamshipwreck. Since this is a blind run we are having a strict "no spoilers" rule. Please keep it fun for everyone else.

I am also happy to say that Jay Tholen has expressed interest in this LP and may be dropping in to the thread to provide some backdrop to the adventure. If you have any questions for him, feel free to post!

And with that, let's *slightly damp hug*

Episode 1: Press X To Hug
Episode 2: Wanderlust
Episode 3: Sex, Drops, and Rock and Roll
Episode 4: Vintage Snack Cakes
Episode 5: M.O.U.S.E.
Episode 6: Membership Card
Episode 7: Serendipity
Episode 8: Brotherhood
Episode 9: Cutting Onions
Episode 10: Big Top
Episode 11: Curtains

Completionist: Episode 1(SPOILERS)
Completionist: Episode 2

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Post for space.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
I've had a deep love and interest in the concept of this game since the trailer. I hope you do it justice, and I hope it does itself justice.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
This game looks strangely intense. All the subject matter makes me really uneasy in an interested sort of way.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Dropsy is good, in general.

Dropsy is also pretty good about not having to constantly arbitrarily rub everything on everything else, as I recall.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

This game had the unfortunate timing to come out around the same time as Undertale, but I do REALLY appreciate the communication method in this game as being really inventive.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
Dropsy has one of the best soundtracks. A lot of games have musical scores that you can tell are a bit phoned-in or simply a genre that the person in charge enjoys listening to, but Dropsy's music is pretty diverse and always feels driven by the theme and setting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waCWzyMgTV0

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
Linking to the Fistful Clown Goldmine because why not? http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/dropsy-clown-game/1/ i played a bit of this game and it's currently on sale on Steam!

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
This game is great, I couldn't go 20 minutes without something in it putting a smile on my face. and the soundtrack's one of the best I've heard in years.

There's a big update planned for this game in January that'll unlock an area that's closed off for now. Are you gonna show it off when it comes around?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Flac posted:

This game is great, I couldn't go 20 minutes without something in it putting a smile on my face. and the soundtrack's one of the best I've heard in years.

There's a big update planned for this game in January that'll unlock an area that's closed off for now. Are you gonna show it off when it comes around?

I don't see anything about that on Google, but if it is then sure, I can double back and check it out!

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I don't see anything about that on Google, but if it is then sure, I can double back and check it out!

Cool! Jay should announce when it happens.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Flac posted:

Cool! Jay should announce when it happens.

He already did to Kickstarter backers. But there's also a Twitter update. Dropsy goes to the beach!

https://twitter.com/dropsytheclown/status/773852032813891584

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Awesome! I'm not sure how that will fit into the gameplay or if I will have to restart, but I'll get the update in one way or another.

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

good heck, we'll finally be able to hug that whiny lil shrimp

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I was there for the first Dropsy, I remember it fondly as one of the finest CYOAs conceived by the forums. This game is a drat masterpiece.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Put another one down for this game ruling, because I've never played anything quite like it before. The aesthetic is recognizable and engaging, the presentation is intriguing and works astonishingly well at telling a story without words, and I was surprised at how far into dark, mature territory it ventured without losing the essential core of a heartwarming story about love, forgiveness and community.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
I remember when this game first came out I saw a trailer of it, not knowing a single thing about this game prior to that, and mentioning offhand on twitter how someone should buy it for me because I was broke. Fast forward to later in the same day when The Creator messages me on twitter and gifts me a steam copy of the game!

Spent the rest of the week playing Dropsy and tweeting back and forth with them asking a million questions to make sure I didn't miss anything. I had to hug them all. I HAD TO.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

DreamShipWrecked posted:

*Bob up and down repeatedly*

You've heard correctly, this is an adventure game with zero dialogue, only pictures and emoticons. There is the rare garbled sentance, but it is intentionally gibberish. Dropsy communicates entirely through body movements, including body flailing and hugs!

The game's alphabet is legible, and there are some interesting things to be read (like on the outside of the tent). Are you going to mention them?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

So far, a mixture of adorably sweet and unsettlingly horrifying. I hope things get better for our clown friend - and his many friends and friends-to-be!

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Thanks all! It's nice to read this stuff. I agree with the Undertale/bad timing thing somewhat, but I also think point-and-clicks have a way smaller potential audience in general. I'm not sure it ever could/would've reached a similar level of success. I am proud of the game though, and I'm excited for the January (might be February now, urgh) update. Most of the content is stuff we wanted to put in the game that we had to cut to make our release date.

Sessile posted:

good heck, we'll finally be able to hug that whiny lil shrimp

Yeah! I'm excited about finally telling a little more of his story. We call him 'Gameboy Kid' internally. His parents show up in one of the nightmares, but beyond that he wasn't expounded upon.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Old Grey Guy posted:

The game's alphabet is legible, and there are some interesting things to be read (like on the outside of the tent). Are you going to mention them?

There are things to be read, yes, and the alphabet has been deciphered, but I am not planning on focusing on it because it is not in the spirit of the game, that kind of stuff is garbled for a reason. That being said, if folks in the thread would like me to cover it then I can.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

DreamShipWrecked posted:

There are things to be read, yes, and the alphabet has been deciphered, but I am not planning on focusing on it because it is not in the spirit of the game, that kind of stuff is garbled for a reason. That being said, if folks in the thread would like me to cover it then I can.

Thanks, and don't sweat it, it's easy enough to read in the videos. :)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I liked that game when it came out. I saw Gaspy Conana post a few times in the adventure games thread, which gave me incentive to buy it. But I bet I missed a few hugs. I hope you are going 100% there.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Ahhhh, Dropsy, the game I was sad I missed the Kickstarter and bought it at launch when it came out. True story: I played Dropsy to the end first before I even touched Undertale!

I really like how the game is basically wordless. It's pretty commendable for that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

But I bet I missed a few hugs. I hope you are going 100% there.

While I am going to try and hit as much as I can, since this is a blind run I cannot guarentee that I will find everything. That said, I am of course striving for MAXIMUM HUG-MAGEDDON.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Cosmic Afro posted:

Ahhhh, Dropsy, the game I was sad I missed the Kickstarter and bought it at launch when it came out. True story: I played Dropsy to the end first before I even touched Undertale!

I really like how the game is basically wordless. It's pretty commendable for that.

I said I liked Dropsy more than Undertale once and was told I was a filthy goddamn hipster for it. Then again, the same person said the same thing when I said I was more excited for Saints Row 4 than GTA V back in the day. People sure are dumb!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I said I liked Dropsy more than Undertale once and was told I was a filthy goddamn hipster for it. Then again, the same person said the same thing when I said I was more excited for Saints Row 4 than GTA V back in the day. People sure are dumb!

Wow. I really hate the way hipster is used as a term, nowadays.

Also, I really like the aesthetics of the game. It's a combination of grotesque and sweet.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Let's explore the town in today's episode!

Episode 2: Wanderlust

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
So, no spoilers. Can we guess or suggest then?

Because it annoys me that you won't acknowledge the middle symbol of the bird's text being an , making the full birdspeak a statement that you can make untrue by utilizing an object we have already seen in game. I have never played or heard of this game before, by the way, so I may be completely wrong.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

While I am going to try and hit as much as I can, since this is a blind run I cannot guarentee that I will find everything. That said, I am of course striving for MAXIMUM HUG-MAGEDDON.

At the very least you should do an informed bonus video with hugs you missed at the end of the LP.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
You've missed enabling a very important feature in the menu.

e: Game is currently 50% off on GOG! https://www.gog.com/game/dropsy

Odysseus S. Grant fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 6, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

At the very least you should do an informed bonus video with hugs you missed at the end of the LP.

That is the plan. Do it blind for the start and then double back with a guide for all the hugs.

kjetting posted:

So, no spoilers. Can we guess or suggest then?

Suggestions are fine, but generally speaking I am recording these a couple days ahead of time so I'll often have a solution before you suggest it. Feel free to speculate though!

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 6, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Chicken accomplished.

Episode 3: Sex, Drops, and Rock and Roll

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Today's episode is like fine wine.

Episode 4: Vintage Snack Cakes

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I love how the dog wiggles his eyebrows when he marks his territory.
He looks like a Spencher or a Milton.

The mouse is a typical Lennie.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That rat's eating animation is kinda :3:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

That rat's eating animation is kinda :3:

Yeah. They tried to make it gross and scary but it's still kinda cute.
That's because it's a rat and most rats are cool and cute. Same for spiders. :colbert:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Your hugging priorities are weird. Dude in a costume? Maybe I shouldn't hug him, he might not like that. Starving rat monster? HUG IT UNTIL IT LOVES ME BACK

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also - Play the Satan Cassette in the church? Maybe something may happen? (Haven't played this so just assuming/hoping for a funny effect)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

bbcisdabomb posted:

Your hugging priorities are weird. Dude in a costume? Maybe I shouldn't hug him, he might not like that. Starving rat monster? HUG IT UNTIL IT LOVES ME BACK

All animals must love me. I swear on my heart, I will make Dropsy into a Disney princess.

• Locked thread