Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Maybe you could swap the Satan Cassette for one of the cassettes in the shop? I'd feel bad for encroaching on the preacher's space by playing inappropriate music, now that she's become a better person.

Also, try hugging not-scientology guy? Try hugging everyone. Have we hugged the dog yet?

I think the newspaper clipping was already there - the vicar who ran the place before had a soup kitchen, and the woman, once Dropsy had got her the keys back to open the shop-front, was reminded of the good works he did and followed in his footsteps.

And for names; Dropsy, Doggsy/Puppsy and Mousey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Is that a rat? I thought it was a possum. Still wanna hugge it.

Anyway, I say Spencer for the dog and Montague for the mouse. No reason why, in case anyone's wondering.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Chicken Head => On, THEN talk to Magic Shop Guy! You should be able to give him the locket.

Man, I remember back when this was just a CYOA - I'm not sure if I ever finished reading it, I think there was a hiatus when Mr. Tholen decided to make it into an actual game. I'm glad it's turned into something so completely charming! Also, the red stuff on the dog is clown makeup. In the CYOA thread, we applied clown makeup just as liberally as we doled out hugs.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I keep waiting for something nightmarish to happen but this has been weirdly pleasant so far (outside of sleeping)

Does Dropsy canonically not have hands, or are his nubs a stylistic choice?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

C-Euro posted:

Does Dropsy canonically not have hands, or are his nubs a stylistic choice?

His stumpy arms prevent him from dialing phone numbers. So I guess it's canon.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

So Dropsy can't even use a dialing wand. :(

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
So far a major theme of this game seems to be things that seem unpleasant or unsavoury but are actually not bad when you get to know them. Dropsy himself is horrifying to behold if you don't know him so the reason fort him being made a scapegoat are understandable, but he's a really nice and sweet guy. Everything that seems ugly or hateful has some level of charm - not just the rat, who is angry and ferocious but when given a twinkie gets the cutest eating animation, but the terrifying bouncer - who when approached is more than happy to fistbump you, or the seemingly unfriendly and unapproachable women, one of whom just wanted a flower, for a few seconds of someone making her feel loved, to open up, or the unpleasant church lady who when confronted with the part of her faith that she had been neglecting, has a crisis of faith, rethinks her worldview and finally starts doing (and like preaching) the parts about doing good works over claiming empty piety.

Pretty cool theme so far.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Operation is a go.

Episode 5: M.O.U.S.E.

There won't be an update tomorrow due to scheduling conflicts. Have a good weekend!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Why do you think this perfectly fine snack company is a cult? Just because they have a medical research lab with security bots and dead people in it?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

TBF I have my suspicions about all snack cake companies. People like Hostess just a little too much.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

*Wiggly arms*
This will be a blind run with vocal commentary, with a current schedule of a 10-15 minute episode per weekday. I will announce any changes to the schedule on here and on my Twitter, @Dreamshipwreck. Since this is a blind run we are having a strict "no spoilers" rule. Please keep it fun for everyone else.

The agonising wait between episodes made me buy the game and play it in an evening. You are in for a treat!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
In the past couple of episodes I've noticed a few fire hydrant-shaped objects around the world, like the little robot in the snack cake lobby and a rock formation on the screen where the plane wreckage gate is. Have you tried pissing on those too?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

In the past couple of episodes I've noticed a few fire hydrant-shaped objects around the world, like the little robot in the snack cake lobby and a rock formation on the screen where the plane wreckage gate is. Have you tried pissing on those too?

One of the cacti, too.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I believe the canonical name for the dog is "Eughh"... named that because that is a sound Dropsy is capable of making. The dog has a huge red nose because Dropsy applied face paint to it in one of the earliest Something Awful CYA threads.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

C-Euro posted:

That is a good idea, I have been focusing on hugs but I need to try the Sacred Marking Ritual on everything too.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

In today's episode, we are return customers.

Episode 6: Membership Card

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
You might want to check your links and make sure they're not starting at weird times in the middle of videos or other arbitrary places.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

In today's episode, we are return customers.

Episode 6: Membership Card

You never even hugged Mr Bird. :(

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
This game is so delightfully weird about its characters and their characterization. I guess BioEnchanted put it best, and I love how that shows in even the grumpiest looking people opening up relatively easily or providing relief and hugs.

Though clown dad really looks messed up :ohdear:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I think a big thing is that Dropsy is hated throughout the town, but incredibly small acts of kindness can completely turn things around. A lot of people hate other people for no real reason, and it's showing how easy it is to shatter those misconceptions just by demonstrating that you aren't a monster.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

You forgot a cassette tape near the door in the CEO's office.

I really am enjoying the weird mash up of cuteness and horror. Looks like with the trio of animal friends you've successfully turned Dropsy in to a Disney princess.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

citybeatnik posted:

Looks like with the trio of animal friends you've successfully turned Dropsy in to a Disney princess.

YESSSSSS

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Hey folks, there will not be an update tonight and possibly tomorrow night due to some IRL stuff for me. Nothing fatal, just some not so good news that isn't the right mindset for huggable Dropsy. Be back shortly, and thank you for your patience!

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Hey folks, there will not be an update tonight and possibly tomorrow night due to some IRL stuff for me. Nothing fatal, just some not so good news that isn't the right mindset for huggable Dropsy. Be back shortly, and thank you for your patience!
Sounds rough, but we're rooting for you. Maybe some snack cakes and damp hugs will cheer you up!
Next time you're back home, you may want to check the bathroom mirror a few times, and the left side of the tent interior.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Also, whenever you can take the birdfriend outside of that screen again, you should see if he can take the shiny from that jungle gym in the playground. And don't forget to hug the big bird.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 14, 2016

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Take your time. I hope everything works out!

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

I just thought that it may be a bit of nice thread interaction if we figured out the alphabet the old fashioned way? The most obvious part that we can translate is the sign for the hospital:

:downs:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

LashLightning posted:

I just thought that it may be a bit of nice thread interaction if we figured out the alphabet the old fashioned way? The most obvious part that we can translate is the sign for the hospital:

:downs:

To be honest, I would prefer not to do that yet. I believe that text is encrypted for a reason. (Dropsy probably can't read.) From a story perspective you aren't supposed to be able to read that stuff unless you put a bit of effort into it.
Figuring out what the text we see along the journey says and learning more about the lore should be bonus content for the end of the LP.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I've never played the game before, but I think the car transition scenes pick a tape at random from your inventory to play, and you only have the metal tape on you.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
The "success" popups for when Dropsy hugs someone/thing and when the doggo pees on something are words, too.

HUGGED!
and CLAIMED!

This game is even hard to watch. I feel justified in not continuing to play it.

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

I just finished the game because Episode 6 was getting into bits I hadn't played before. (I stopped just after the CEO broke into the house.) I completed almost everything but I missed one hug. (I think it is the only missable hug and I hope that the beach DLC in January makes it unmissable.)

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Just wanted to let the thread know, I just found Dropsy on the Google Play and Apple store. Early access, but it looks like Dropsy is going mobile.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

GoingPostal posted:

Just wanted to let the thread know, I just found Dropsy on the Google Play and Apple store. Early access, but it looks like Dropsy is going mobile.

Unless they released it before they announced it on the web/social media, I don't see any mention of it online aside from being on the marketplaces. Hopefully it's legitimate

VVVV :toot:

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 20, 2016

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Unless they released it before they announced it on the web/social media, I don't see any mention of it online aside from being on the marketplaces. Hopefully it's legitimate

We're out for iPad, and there's an 'unreleased' version on Android. Not sure why Android hasn't launched actually, we were supposed to a while ago. Gonna email the necessary folks about that.

Oh, also, Dropsy has a cool shirt now. :3 http://merch.devolverdigital.com/products/577600-dropsy-tee

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Hey folks, drops-ing a quick update

I have not abandoned this LP but I am having to put it on very temporary hiatus because I am closing on a house tomorrow and :screaming:. I expect that I should be able to get back to things middle of next week once everything settles down, and I'll be keeping updates on my Twitter.

Sorry for the slip, I figured I would have more of a backlog by now. I know people are excited to see the next part, which makes me super happy! But life got ahead of me, so to speak. Have a happy holidays, and hopefully see you next week!

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Dec 22, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Happy Holidays, everyone, here's a fresh Dropsy hot from the oven!

Episode 7: Serendipity

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You can actually frighten the lady on the bridge if you have the vampire costume. That causes her to hold out her amulet of Brodin to try and ward you away. Good eye noticing it on her.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think the ID card will let you into the boss's office at night. If I recall there were things he wouldn't let you swipe.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

You can actually frighten the lady on the bridge if you have the vampire costume. That causes her to hold out her amulet of Brodin to try and ward you away. Good eye noticing it on her.

I tried that previously but I just can't seem to get the costume shop owner to let me in. I'll have to do that in the completionist videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

I was much more touched by the little bird's sheer bravery and gumption to follow Dropsy in his entourage, even after the revelation of the death of their mother.

Godspeed, that little bird. Godspeed.

• Locked thread