Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Juffo-Wup posted:

I think being a murderer is a wrong way to be a human being. That seems pretty obvious.

isn't the definition of murder something like "Illegal killing of another person". Using terms that rely on laws to make absolute moral judgement seems bad.

Do you think killing people is the wrong way to be a human being? Or just unlawful killing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Juffo-Wup posted:

You can think that everyone who kills someone unlawfully has done something wrong without thinking that what made it wrong was that it was illegal. Obviously.

It's pretty silly to think you can read someone's moral theory off of a single asserted moral fact.

To me, killing someone is neither wrong nor right regardless of legality especially if without talking about the circumstances that led to killing someone. The statement "All murderers are bad people" is in my mind somewhat untrue because it places moral responsibility on systems of law that are usually extremely flawed. I also think there are plenty of situations where killing someone is justified, but you might also be convicted of murder and become a murderer.

A really good example with precedence in US law would be if a police officer/s decided to start shooting you before you did anything that directly threatened their life and then you started shooting back.

If you killed a police officer in the firefight in self defense you would probably be a person who murdered someone and in a lot of ways that seems like not an immoral thing. If the cop shot and killed you instead they would just be a cop who killed someone and got some paid vacation.

vv - I'm also against the death penalty, but not because 'killing people is bad' and more that legal systems that impose the death penalty tend to be so absolutely flawed that dishing out the death penalty is just loving stupid.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 4, 2016

• Locked thread