Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

PortalFreak posted:

Pretty self explanatory

None of this is self-explanatory and I'd actually like you to explain what you mean by these terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

PortalFreak posted:

"Existence precedes essence" means that the fact that something or someone exists alone is what gives it value, and not what the thing or person "is." I'm not sure if that makes sense, but I'd highly suggest looking it up for a clearer view on it.

So your thesis is that human live has inherent value outside of the specific form that human life takes. Is that about right? The obvious follow-ups would be:

(a) Where does this value come from?
(b) Does this mean that the specifics of human individual lives are morally irrelevant or is there an additional layer of moral values attached? To make this clearer: Would you say that a murderer and a philanthropist are morally of equal value since they are both human beings and the specifics of their lives are morally irrelevant, or is your position that they both have moral value qua being human, but the specifics of their lives (murdering people vs. helping people) has an additional moral content?

• Locked thread