Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PortalFreak
Oct 29, 2016

God's true gift to mankind is 007 Nightfire for the Nintendo GameCube.
Pretty self explanatory but I was just wondering how other goons thought about the idea. Basically, I agree with this cus no matter how good or bad a person is, I don't think that should be reason to praise them as a special snowflake or kill them for what one thinks is the "greater good." There really is no "right" or "wrong" way to be a human being in the greater scheme of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PortalFreak
Oct 29, 2016

sitchensis posted:

Yep.

Then again, ascribing a lack of "right" or "wrong" to the universe is also imposing a set of values onto it, don't you think?

Well I mean more like, the world itself is absurd because there are no real "rules" for life itself. There's no greater power that says that's it's ok to do this but not ok to do that. Most of what people say is right or wrong is based on something that is based off of the rules of the society they live in. Not to say it's always a bad or a good thing. Example: in most societies, it's illegal to kill people (duh), and I agree with that idea cus I don't see a reason to purposely kill someone, but there might be someone out there who thinks otherwise. They're most likely hosed in the head, but there's technically nothing stopping them from thinking that to begin with. Granted there's stuff like the law that would discourage someone from doing so, but there are no "laws" on life itself.

PortalFreak
Oct 29, 2016

Brainiac Five posted:

On the contrary, existence is a false idea.

Not to say "lol ur rong xddd" but how so? What's your belief/reasoning behind that? Just curious.

PortalFreak
Oct 29, 2016

Oh dear me posted:

When you say they are good, you are praising them. Are you in fact saying that there is zero difference between good and bad things?

I meant to say there's such thing as praising them too much.

PortalFreak
Oct 29, 2016

botany posted:

None of this is self-explanatory and I'd actually like you to explain what you mean by these terms.

"Existence precedes essence" means that the fact that something or someone exists alone is what gives it value, and not what the thing or person "is." I'm not sure if that makes sense, but I'd highly suggest looking it up for a clearer view on it.

PortalFreak
Oct 29, 2016

botany posted:

So your thesis is that human live has inherent value outside of the specific form that human life takes. Is that about right? The obvious follow-ups would be:

(a) Where does this value come from?
(b) Does this mean that the specifics of human individual lives are morally irrelevant or is there an additional layer of moral values attached? To make this clearer: Would you say that a murderer and a philanthropist are morally of equal value since they are both human beings and the specifics of their lives are morally irrelevant, or is your position that they both have moral value qua being human, but the specifics of their lives (murdering people vs. helping people) has an additional moral content?

A. In the greater scheme of things, I don't think there's a real reason for life to continue existing, but at the same time, there's no reason for it to cease to exist. Rather than finding some greater meaning to life as a whole, it makes more sense to find the meaning in one's individual life. Example: if someone wants to become an artist, their life's purpose is to become an artist. It could certainly change along the way, but either way, their own individual life has meaning, even if it doesn't mean anything to the rest of the universe/in the greater scheme of things.

B. I'd have to say the latter. I've always believed that there's a difference between a human being and a person. If one sees an individual as a person, they see them in the context of society. They take into consideration what the person is, what their personality is like, their likes/dislikes, lifestyle, etc. If one sees an individual as a human, however, they're seen in the context of the species they belong to. They're seen as a living being, an animal, if you will, without the other stuff (personality, likes/dislikes, etc.) being considered.

That being said, I do think there are bad "people," but there's no such thing as a bad "human." In fact, I believe that all humans are inherently neutral. Just because someone's a good/bad person doesn't mean they're a good/bad human being, because they weren't born to be good or bad. They just became good or bad because of their upbringing, environment and personal ideologies (among other things of course). If there were such a thing as a "bad" human, that would suggest the idea that the human in question deserves to die and essentially wiped off the face of the Earth. However, I don't think killing even the worst of people is the best way to deal with the issues they cause, because violence doesn't really solve anything, at the risk of sounding somewhat pretentious. I do think that murderers/rapists/etc. deserved to be punished (with the punishment varying depending on the offense, obviously), but I don't think that they should be killed. There's no reason to do so because they're just human beings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PortalFreak
Oct 29, 2016

Phyzzle posted:

So, you appear to be suggesting that legality should exist in a separate sphere from 'biological' matters, like life and death. Would you say that rules & morality apply to living persons, so you're against the death penalty for the same reason that you're against whipping the ocean for causing drownings?

I'm definitely against the death penalty, seeing that it doesn't really get rid of crime of any type, and that it doesn't "scare" other criminals from committing crimes (which seems to be a primary purpose of the death penalty). It's just a retarded idea inherently. So ergo, this is probably obvious but yes I do think rules and morality apply to the living, seeing that the dead can't do much anyway :v:

Somewhat off topic, but I remember in middle school years ago I was doing homework in study hall, when the teacher in the room gave me and some of the kids in there a "Time for Kids" (it's literally a kids' version of Time) that had an article about Billy the Kid being pardoned for what he did (if I remember correctly).

Seeing that he was dead for hundreds of loving years and I had homework that was much more important to do, it was probably the biggest waste of time in my life.

• Locked thread