Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug
I think being a murderer is a wrong way to be a human being. That seems pretty obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

Doc Hawkins posted:

But you see, it's only murder when it definitely shouldn't be done, according to my personal judgement. Problem solved.

Huh?

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

Doc Hawkins posted:

I made an uncharitable guess as to your response to Bip's objection. You should dispute it with them, and prove me an rear end in a top hat.

More lazy than uncharitable, I think. There's like three better responses than that one off the top of my head. Here's one:

Bip Roberts posted:

Please respect the Troops.

No court on earth thinks killing in war is murder???

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

Doorknob Slobber posted:

isn't the definition of murder something like "Illegal killing of another person". Using terms that rely on laws to make absolute moral judgement seems bad.

Do you think killing people is the wrong way to be a human being? Or just unlawful killing?

You can think that everyone who kills someone unlawfully has done something wrong without thinking that what made it wrong was that it was illegal. Obviously.

It's pretty silly to think you can read someone's moral theory off of a single asserted moral fact.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug
Refusing to acknowledge basic moral facts on the basis of 'but can we ever agree?!' is pretty feeble. Right up there with 'but how can we ever, like, really know anything?' for faux-sophistication. What kind of person ever thought people had to agree to facts in order for them to be true?

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

Doc Hawkins posted:

If I make a moral judgment, it's a fact that i've made it, but the judgment is not a fact.

Is this view one of the sort that you come to on the basis of some reasons, or is it the other kind?

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

Doc Hawkins posted:

I find the distinction useful in practice, and think it could be dangerous to erase it.

I understand the meaning you assign to the word "fact" which allows you to apply it to your judgments on moral matters, but I think doing that is only emotionally helpful, and makes it harder, not easier, to contribute to a safe and happy society.

You think we shouldn't think that we shouldn't do things with bad effects, on the grounds that thinking that would have bad effects? Incredible.

Anyway, I'm not sure what someone could possibly think 'fact' means, other than 'state of affairs that obtains in the actual world.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

Doorknob Slobber posted:

To me, killing someone is neither wrong nor right regardless of legality especially if without talking about the circumstances that led to killing someone. The statement "All murderers are bad people" is in my mind somewhat untrue because it places moral responsibility on systems of law that are usually extremely flawed. I also think there are plenty of situations where killing someone is justified, but you might also be convicted of murder and become a murderer.

A really good example with precedence in US law would be if a police officer/s decided to start shooting you before you did anything that directly threatened their life and then you started shooting back.

If you killed a police officer in the firefight in self defense you would probably be a person who murdered someone and in a lot of ways that seems like not an immoral thing. If the cop shot and killed you instead they would just be a cop who killed someone and got some paid vacation.

This is a lovely argument whose success depends our having some independent way of judging whether or not a killing is morally justified. So I happily accept your conclusion: there are factors other than legal proscription that determine of an action whether or not it is wrong. It should be clear that this is distinct from the conclusion that there are no moral facts, which I reject.

• Locked thread