Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Alan Smithee posted:

i saw myself in fat polish man's shoes because i too am irrestible to beautiful ladies with magical powers because i do not have magical powers

Same but with magical rhinos because I wear the monster version of Axe instead.

Edit: Wait, you're allowed to post open spoilers in threads in BV right? That's what the spoiler rules thread says? That if the thread is about the movie go crazy? Awesome.

basic hitler posted:

my main question is, if i liked the books and grew up with them, and i pretty much enjoyed the movies starting with azkaban, will i like this? is it good for casual fans? I'm not a weirdo who keeps up with pottermore and remembers all the minute details and canon. it seems kinda cool but im half way wondering if i should just let the series lie

Give me a few buddy. I'm gonna post a synopsis of this movie from memory (it's been a few weeks.) I just want to keep it from getting too long because of the forum rules. But you should be able to read my totally unbiased write up and determine for yourself based on that.

(The TL;DR is it's really dreary and really bad. It felt like it had ADHD, often jumping from thing to thing with little to no lead up. But it does do and introduce some neat stuff and have a bit of exploration into 1920 America's Wizarding world.)

Jenner fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
I can't make the synopsis not very long without doing this movie justice. I'm gonna post it and report my own post around 3am so I can hopefully sleep through the probation. It's gonna be huge.

(They're gonna probate me bigly and wait until around 11 am to do so now that I have revealed my cunning plan and I'll 100% deserve it. Love you mods!)

Anyway, expect a long post that is hopefully funny/entertaining later tonight.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 4, 2016

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Okay so, I've been tinkering with it for awhile and it's just so big. While I do have a bit of a reputation for posting long rear end screeds from time to time I like them to have a point. This long rear end screed does have a point but it's not the intended point. My goal is to make it humorous and entertaining and I'm not sure it's either. So I'm not gonna consume vast swaths of thread with it (sorry!)

For those who are curious you can read the whole thing here. Let me know if you liked it or got anything from it and feel free to talk about it and roast me in this thread.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

im assuming BV is the low effort dgaf posting thread for movies so...sure?

For :words: click here.

If enough people truly want me to poo poo up the thread that much I'll C&P it though. I just wanted to be considerate.

Wizards seem pretty isolated from humans and their, for lack of a better word, cultures seem different. It's a good thing.

The original Harry Potter movies were notoriously white washed (with Lavender Brown being depicted by a black actress until her plot relevant romance with Ron where she magically became white. :discourse:) Fantastic Beasts adds a few more PoC actresses (was there a single black man in this movie? Please let me know because I don't remember seeing one and I refuse to see this movie again.) A woman of color plays the role of the President of the Magical Congress. The added PoC is probably intended to show that America is a more diverse wizarding community but I'm not sure if there were actually a greater number of non-white characters in this movie then in the base HP movies. I think it was roughly the same. Regardless, it implies that American wizards are not racist against black people (while almost the whole of the muggle America totally was*) but still intolerant of the non-magical. (I don't think a British wizard ever treats a non-white character poorly and Kingsley is black so it might be the same there.) It's interesting that to magical people it is ability, not race, that sets them apart. (Oh and country of origin, I recall one character being mocked and bullied for his country of origin.)

I am talking far too sincerely on the poo poo posting and bad opinion forum.

*This is a historical fact but is not depicted in the movie.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

Really got to set the record straight here.. This is not the shitposting forum. Its the forum for me and all my friends to love movies

Oh ok! It's okay if we, your new best friends, don't love every movie though right? Because this movie was bad.

basic hitler posted:

I had forgotten about the lavender brown thing, i remember that more or less by the time you get to the later movies the background characters had changed so much i didn't bother trying to keep up with who they were supposed to be in the books. But when Lavender comes on screen and she's a honky it's probably the first time i ever thought a recast was hosed up

I have to be honest I didn't even notice originally (#Thisiswhiteprivilege) but a black feminist I follow on Twitter pointed it out. She's played by two separate black actresses while she's just a background character but as soon as it's time for smooching nope nope nope gotta be white. We can't have any interracial relationships in our hyper white incestuous wizarding community! What kind of message would that send?

(It was really sad because said black feminist had read the books so in the earlier movies when she spotted Lavender Brown she was like, "Oh boy! Interracial kiss is coming! So excite!" And then, "Never mind they just recast her as white. gently caress everything.")

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

value-brand cereal posted:

Was the Zapdos bird monster supposed to be a native American thunderbird rip off?

Probably.

net cafe scandal posted:

Oh, I actually did probate you for the correct post after all. Apologies for any confusion, and best of luck with the thread.

I was about to say, beyond it being one of my posts there's nothing particularly obnoxious with the post I made before the one you probated me for. I was just talking about how white washed the HP movies are and brought up the Lavender Brown situation because it really highlights the problem. (And discussed how Fantastic Beasts has the same problem.) It was an alright post.

I was a bit confused that you'd probate me for it.

It makes much more sense for me to be probated for talking about how white people tend to rarely notice a lack of racial diversity in media and about a black person's reaction to not just a lack of diversity, but a removal of it. Because our conversation was about "casting issues." When you start talking about things like casting it is often a discussion about representation and racial issues. My post was about casting issues because I was talking about its effect on people but it was too loose of a link.

TL;DR I was too SJW and off topic.

On the topic of casting issues: The HP movies generally had good casting in regards to actor choice (they were just predominantly white people, which is a different kind of casting issue.) When I think of bad casting I think of the studio hiring the wrong actor to play a role. FB has an alright (but mostly white) cast. The exception is Johnny Depp as Grindewald, that's some real bad casting.

• Locked thread