Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will die first?
This poll is closed.
ROH 20 22.47%
America 69 77.53%
Total: 89 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

TRENT!!!!!!!!

e:

https://twitter.com/totaldivaseps/status/1020482551482396672

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.
I will forever mark for the hugmaker shot.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Happy Happyist posted:

I will forever mark for the hugmaker shot.

It was wonderful to watch. :)

Now somehow I’m watching the NWA title being defended ityol 2018. I’m oddly excited for this.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 21, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MazelTovCocktail posted:

It was wonderful to watch. :)

Now somehow I’m watching the NWA title being defended ityol 2018. I’m oddly exited for this.

I've said this before, but I think people are hungry for an organization to be a challenger to Vince. That's not to say I suddenly think the NWA is that organization, exactly (they HAVE done a solid job of trying to create intrigue in their flagship belt, though) . But I do think that the quality of NJPW along with the timing of WWE's product being largely trash despite a strong talent roster along with the internet allowing people easier access to it is significant, and I just wish there was a way for the quality organizations to be under the NWA umbrella in such a way that people would take seriously.

I feel like we're on the brink of a new age in wrestling, I just don't know how it's going to come together. But I hope it makes WWE care about their product again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

:vince:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I want Broken Okada to spin Jay White out for the rainmaker and yank him into the most powerful hug of all. The hug of true friendship.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I can't believe ROH had a show on the 20th and it got like 3 posts.

Is ROH really that cold?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The Best Friends reunion gif (I wasn’t aware they were apart tbqh) made the wrestling twitter rounds but I have not heard a single thing about the show itself, which seems about right.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

The Best Friends reunion gif (I wasn’t aware they were apart tbqh) made the wrestling twitter rounds but I have not heard a single thing about the show itself, which seems about right.

Because the only relevant parts were that moment and Magnus retaining the NWA title against Flip, and even the latter part is stretching some people's definition of the word "relevance"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fart blood posted:

Is ROH really that cold?

Cold as in setting attendance records all the time, they are freezing!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

fart blood posted:

Is ROH really that cold?

ROH is a vessel for New Japan talent to be showcased in America and nothing more

If a ROH show doesn't have New Japan guys...really who gives a poo poo

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

fart blood posted:

Is ROH really that cold?

there is what feels like zero live watchers or online buzz about any of their shows or matches, only people in attendance.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

Cold as in setting attendance records all the time, they are freezing!

Record breaking crowds aren't always a sign of a good product, look at WWE or post mid 98 WCW

As it stands right now the biggest things getting people to watch and pay attention to their shows are a free youtube series and being able to showcase New Japan or CMLL talent.

their ability to kill interest in their world title in just 3 short years is astounding

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

ROH is a vessel for New Japan talent to be showcased in America and nothing more

If a ROH show doesn't have New Japan guys...really who gives a poo poo

Their last PPV was pretty much all ROH contracted guys and did great business.

exploded mummy posted:

Record breaking crowds aren't always a sign of a good product, look at WWE or post mid 98 WCW

As it stands right now the biggest things getting people to watch and pay attention to their shows are a free youtube series and being able to showcase New Japan or CMLL talent.

their ability to kill interest in their world title in just 3 short years is astounding

The company is hotter than it has ever been, the negativity is astounding. Sorry they are putting on a product no one wants to see but that is what makes money in the US right now.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

MassRafTer posted:

The company is hotter than it has ever been, the negativity is astounding. Sorry they are putting on a product no one wants to see but that is what makes money in the US right now.

I uhhh can’t tell if you’re sarcastic or not

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fart blood posted:

I uhhh can’t tell if you’re sarcastic or not

Everything I have said in my last two posts is the unfiltered truth. ROH is doing great business but no one talks about them because no one knows who their product appeals to. It's a group between WWE casuals and hardcore fans. Lots of Bullet Club fans, but lots of like...not obsessed wrestling fans. It's weird.

Roque11
Aug 7, 2016
Let's see what everyone says when ROH sells out the Garden within minutes.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Roque11 posted:

Let's see what everyone says when ROH sells out the Garden within minutes.

that no one is watching or tweeting about it on our timelines over the nxt takeover tweets just like this year

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

that no one is watching or tweeting about it on our timelines over the nxt takeover tweets just like this year

All of those sad people tweeting about the less attended event while ROH does numbers.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

All of those sad people tweeting about the less attended event while ROH does numbers.

I was going to say that ROH is lucky that the NJPW partnership is so strong because of how much they rely on Bullet Club to sell out shows. But even that's not much of a help when ROH's product isn't even hot enough to keep everyone in the building for their main event this year.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

I was going to say that ROH is lucky that the NJPW partnership is so strong because of how much they rely on Bullet Club to sell out shows. But even that's not much of a help when ROH's product isn't even hot enough to keep everyone in the building for their main event this year.

Yes let us just ignore all of the non NJPW shows that are doing big numbers and the big increases every year. Meanwhile NXT can't sell out piggy backing off MITB (problems mounting?) while a card built around ROH talent sold more tickets in seconds. The smarks are sad the farm league NXT is declining while ROH has more momentum than a speeding bullet.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

its cool that ROH is doing great business but they're not doing great art, which is a problem that'll come to a head down the road. They'll find that bit to tug and get people excited about their shows to talk about online. Or they won't and people will stop coming. Such is the way of things.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Yes let us just ignore all of the non NJPW shows that are doing big numbers and the big increases every year. Meanwhile NXT can't sell out piggy backing off MITB (problems mounting?) while a card built around ROH talent sold more tickets in seconds. The smarks are sad the farm league NXT is declining while ROH has more momentum than a speeding bullet.

Yes, lets ignore all the non njpw shows, because i honestly am unaware of them even happening from the lack of online buzz around them. I only knew there was a ROH show this weekend because ROH had a big indy name debut. My point isn't that they aren't selling out or whatever, my point is how dead the product is with people in online communities and how this thread is mostly dead unless there's big news like the MSG show. No one talks about upcoming matches in here or title matches. I don't see ROH matches being nominated in the MOTYC thread unlike years pass. You keep banging a drum about their business when I'm not talking about their business, I'm talking about their buzz and the word of mouth about them online being practically nonexistent.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

last year i only found out a roh ppv and tv taping were in town the day of because a guy in a dalton castle shirt came up to my window at work. then i found out they hit up vegas like 3 times a year but if im not actively searching out when they're here i never know when their shows are.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

Yes, lets ignore all the non njpw shows, because i honestly am unaware of them even happening from the lack of online buzz around them. I only knew there was a ROH show this weekend because ROH had a big indy name debut. My point isn't that they aren't selling out or whatever, my point is how dead the product is with people in online communities and how this thread is mostly dead unless there's big news like the MSG show. No one talks about upcoming matches in here or title matches. I don't see ROH matches being nominated in the MOTYC thread unlike years pass. You keep banging a drum about their business when I'm not talking about their business, I'm talking about their buzz and the word of mouth about them online being practically nonexistent.

See I thought the same lack of buzz and the product itself being cold would cause the WWE troubles and welp they're going to be getting an insane amount of TV money over the next few years. Not to mention having the big Mania events do crazy business.

While I'm not sure it can continue long term it very much looks like the actual quality of the product doesn't matter in the US in terms of being able to make money over the next few years.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

I'm sorry that you are so focused on nebulous concept like "buzz" instead of the fact this company is riding a hot streak like never before.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

but which one's the real roque

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
ROH has successfully branded themselves as "the WWE alternative" and riding a big wave of casual fan interest. There's really nothing more to it than that.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Friday's stream was a glorified House Show, so I wouldn't be concerned that there wasn't that much coverage. Let's see how the PPV goes in late September.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Benne posted:

ROH has successfully branded themselves as "the WWE alternative" and riding a big wave of casual fan interest. There's really nothing more to it than that.

So it's TNA circa 2005?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

So it's TNA circa 2005?

Without the stacked roster

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I threw Ring of Honor into the Buzz O Meter and folks the Buzz is rising.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

you mean the PPV where the top 3 matches all had Bullet Club heels, the fourth one down (the first with no Bullet Club) had KUSHIDA, and the opener had LIJ

oh and the other two men's matches had Austin Aries and Bully Ray

MassRafTer posted:

someone tell Denver Colorado this

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

So it's TNA circa 2005?

they recently booked Austin Aries and have Bully Ray

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 22, 2018

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

"Internet Buzz" mattering more than having people pay to see your shows is extremely WCW 2000.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

To say they aren't doing well right now is pretty ridiculous even if they aren't super hot, and while yeah the Bullet Club stuff is helping a lot, why should ROH be faulted for it? They had the Young Bucks before NJPW did, Adam Page and Cody are based out of ROH while getting NJPW spots, Flip Gordon is a Ring Of Honor grown guy.

To say that ROH's drawing doesn't count because they're using Bullet Club just sounds silly to me. If you have access to something that can draw, why wouldn't you take advantage of it? ROH has always done that, from using guys out of NOAH and Dragon Gate to using former stars of theirs that got bigger with TNA exposure on spot shows. If it draws, it draws. ROH is running a PPV out of the Orleans Arena, which is situated for anywhere between 3,000 and 8,000 for wrestling, and they're probably going to draw into that figure for it. They're presenting a nationally touring alternative to WWE that has more exposure thanks to the NJPW connection, and I don't think that it's a negative. If anything, it's showing that working with other companies and organizations is only a benefit for business as opposed to staying isolationist and pretending other promotions don't exist.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

exploded mummy posted:

you mean the PPV where the top 3 matches all had Bullet Club heels, the fourth one down (the first with no Bullet Club) had KUSHIDA, and the opener had LIJ

oh and the other two men's matches had Austin Aries and Bully Ray

someone tell Denver Colorado this

they recently booked Austin Aries and have Bully Ray

Ah yes Kushida drew that house and is worth mentioning. I love Kushida but we know who is drawing and why the buzz is charting. The Bullet Club ROH guys are hot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I used to love ROH but I basically gave up on it after they had a string of shows where their streaming just completely poo poo the bed and I got to see barely any of the shows I paid for live.

I'm sure they've fixed things since then, but once I stop watching something regularly it's very easy to just stop entirely. Lucha Underground has the same issue for me, though of course ROH is actually doing really good numbers while LU is just lurching towards a slow and drawn out death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It has been a good run but this thread couldn't contain the buzz.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3863989

• Locked thread