Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will die first?
This poll is closed.
ROH 20 22.47%
America 69 77.53%
Total: 89 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Who would the best guys be for ROH to raid from Impact? I know Impact sorta stinks but they do have some talent....

Cage, DJZ (they need midcarders), Evan Bourne, Trevor Lee, am I missing anybody?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

rovert posted:

Aries (yes I know).

Isn't that bridge pretty thoroughly burned?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
She needs a manager called The Captain

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Roque11 posted:

Let's see any company try to top Lethal v. Gresham any time in the next two months

They will.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Grant DaNasty posted:

I'm probably going to get the VIP plan, but how are we supposed to watch it? It says they'll be streaming events on iOS, Android, Roku, etc, but I can't find any apps.

It says on the site that it's only on PC for now, and the gizmo versions will come later

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
You might want to catch the trios title match, heard it was actually really good (hard to believe I know, the Bucks had a fun spotfest)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

OGB posted:

https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/974650259346477056

Best in the World is coming from Baltimore this year on PPV.

The craziest bit to me - the UMBC Event Center, a new building, holds 6000 people.

Who the hell are they bringing in for this?!

Probably the Elite

Also I have on good authority from not-at-all-a kook Roque that Punishment Martinez will draw people in!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That reminds me, is Bushiroad particularly evil? Does anyone know much about them?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Sounds pretty with it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Cameo posted:

Kidani's a smart, humble dude that turned his nerdy interests into two highly successful companies so far.

He also isn't even the actual President of Bushiroad anymore (Yoshimi Hashimoto is now), instead having voluntarily stepped down back in October to be just a member of the board of directors and inserted himself as Head of Content Development (as well as continuing as President of Bushiroad International and Prez/CEO of Bushiroad Music). I don't know if this affects future Observer "Promoter of the Year" awards.

He also lives and works out of Singapore these days, which is probably why he got a little panicked about Brexit there - probably had been planning on that move for a while.

Kinda funny, though, seems like everyone in New Japan still treats him like he's the boss, even though he's officially not.

As for their being yakuza connections for anything anymore, that's all on the skids at the moment unless you're deep in the real estate market or prostitution or sex slaves/human trafficking. Pachinko isn't as lucrative thanks to a bunch of regulations being passed, and they've been just about completely wiped from the idol industry by - funny enough - companies like Bushiroad and Bandai Namco butting in on their turf. I'd imagine they're maybe involved in low-level restaurant deals through the real estate businesses they run, but they're actually somewhat forced these days to operate as legitimate businesses more than as money laundering operations. They're not especially capable of throwing film directors off the top of buildings or stabbing national heroes with a piss-soaked knife in today's Japan.

Isn't Japanese indy wrestling still rife with Yakuza involvement?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

RIP Age of the Fall, always in my heart

At least Age of the Fall actually accomplished stuff, like that insane ending for Man Up and elevating Tyler Black. All the other crews mentioned didn't accomplish dick.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TheCool69 posted:

Julius Smokes!!!! Thats a name i havent heard in a while.

Was he Low Kis manager long time ago? I have this Image in my head of Ki laying in ropes and Smokes giving him a STIFF loving slap to wake Ki up... the crow popped huge for that.

What happened to Smokes? Did he ever "make it?" Or was it just early ROH

Last I heard he was doing music full time

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Strawberry Panda posted:

I'll pay $9.99 for Supercard of Honor. Hell yeah, that's going to be fun as hell.

There's about 4 or 5 matches I actually wanna see! I just don't have the ROH dealie on Roku yet because they're not on there yet

Boy, does Ishii have his work cut out for him carrying Martinez, though

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bard Maddox posted:

Rhett Titus is lame but in a good way. fun lame

My one and only memory of Titus is when his ROH team worked King of Trios and in their pre-match promo, he promised to "milk those goats" since they were wrestling a team of lucha soccer goats called Las Chivas Rayadas. Both of his teammates looked at him all "what in the world, dude?".

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I Before E posted:

Everyone likes Spiritualized more.

:golfclap:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

STONE COLD 64 posted:

also maybe im in the minority and it sure was the wrong time and wrong person to beat nigel but i sure dug jerry lynn's little title run, even if it was only a couple of months.

They put the belt on him for pretty cynical reasons but it's kinda hard to be too upset about it since Jerry was often underpushed and his ECW title run was laughably short. His ROH reign was also short, but it felt a little better to me for some reason; maybe because ECW doing it had a whole "Well, Rob's not around and the next PPV is in your home town, I guess you can be a belt pillow" vibe. I'm a glad a pro's pro like Jerry got to be world champ a couple times.

It helps that Jerry defended the belt 6 times successfully before losing it in 71 days; I think he only got 1 or 2 defences in ECW before losing it to Corino.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 15, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

The match at SCOH where Lynn beats Nigel was absolutely tremendous, about as good as the Aries/Joe match.

Maybe show it as a preshow if it isn't too long?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oatgan posted:

like the semi annual jay briscoe title shot throughout the 00's

I remember him challenging Joe when Joe was the champ and Joe getting on the mic after winning and going "You actually thought I'd lose to him? Man, gently caress you!"

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 24, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

STONE COLD 64 posted:

danielson's reign was the best though because he made you believe white supremacist delirious could win the championship

I consider his reign to be the best ROH reign ever. There are a bunch of genuinely great ones, but his chase and capture and reign are what got me interested in ROH beyond casually reading results and such.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 24, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

What chase he was out of the company for 4 months, won it, was gone for 2 months, had some OK defenses (with a couple great ones) for a few months and then things got started.

Morishima's was the best ever.

He left after promising to leave if he couldn't win after having had multiple title shots, came back and won the title in a super emotional win, made convincing challengers out of Cabana, Delirious, and Roderick Strong (who was a nobody at the time), did one of the best sneaky heel turns ever (putting his title match with Joe ahead of helping ROH defeat CZW), had multiple fantastic title matches with Joe, Nigel, and others.

I don't even consider Morishima's run to be 2nd best, that'd be Joe. Followed by Nigel and Morishima. Morishima just didn't hold my interest at all anywhere close to as well as the other 3. Morishima's best match in ROH is the Fight Without Honor....with Danielson.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

STONE COLD 64 posted:

if there is any wrestler i cant stand less than bj whitmer its probably nick aldis

At least BJ occasionally takes crazy risks. I can respect being willing to take Psycho Drivers through tables and trying to murder Steve Corino and Jimmy Jacobs.

The gently caress has Aldis ever done that we should care about?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

KungFu Grip posted:

shelley is doing college

Nice to see him making a good decision. I always thought Shelley had big time potential, but dude is snakebitten as gently caress

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

John Dudebro posted:

Flip Gordon did a dumb springboard straight into a dick kick so 10/10

Kind of shocked none of the belts changed hands though, it really felt like time for Dalton to lose

The guy recapping for WO/F4W live had a point: ROH might just be waiting for Cody to lose to Kenny before he wins the title, that way the ROH champ's not jobbing to the IWGP champ again.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mob posted:

because in every case they're the opposite of reality

Also, virulent anti-semitism

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That's pretty hosed up, Jay.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

I’ve never really heard anything bad about jay. I’d be interested to know where that comment is coming from.

Same. Which is not cast doubt, but I'd heard he was a standup dude.

Of course, the last few years have proven that hearing that only means something until it doesn't.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

coconono posted:

Taeler trying to say she's a bigger draw than Martini is some pretty funny poo poo.

Her social media reads like a self insert fanfic. Not sure if she's killing time or what.

As for Jay demanding she sleep with him, that's some poo poo I didn't see coming. He always came off as too boring for that kind of thing. Drink's very sparingly, doesn't have any other bad habits to speak of, and I believe has been married happily for quite some time. Not saying its out of the realm of possibilities because working for ROH drives people insane.

Yeah, as goofy as Truth is, he's 50x more memorable than her. Did she even talk for Jay all that often? Or do anything other than like, occasionally interfere for Jay?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

There was nothing weird about Jay Lethal bragging in a promo about having sex with AJ Lee before CM Punk did. Nothing at all.

The one where hesaid "I don't take other people's scraps, even though others are happy to take mine!", right?

I thought that was a curious thing to say.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

frankenfreak posted:

1000 for a TV taping isn't bad, right? But why run it in a 10,000 seater in the first place?

It's a company with Roque on the payroll so delusion probably factors in

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

Does Daniels have a batman logo on his nazi uniform

Looks like Iron Fists' logo

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

Taeler was apparently heckled by fans at a booking in San Antonio this weekend. Chants obviously included Jay Lethal's name

loving disgusting. Here's the thing: Let's, for a moment, entertain the possibility that Jay is telling the truth, and it never happened. Usually, if someone's making up a coercion accusation, it's a sign that some really hosed up stuff is going on for the accuser mentally. Remember when Amazing Kong made up having a miscarriage? She realized that she had some pretty serious issues that had to be dealt with privately and went and got help.

This whole thing is lose-lose.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 9, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Explosions posted:

(Kong didn't make up a miscarriage, she told people she had had the baby safely when she had really had a miscarriage.)

poo poo, my bad.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

VJeff posted:

This is why I will basically never believe Enzo was innocent, btw.

That, and his peers have flat out stated he lies about his sexual "conquests".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MazelTovCocktail posted:

It was wonderful to watch. :)

Now somehow I’m watching the NWA title being defended ityol 2018. I’m oddly exited for this.

I've said this before, but I think people are hungry for an organization to be a challenger to Vince. That's not to say I suddenly think the NWA is that organization, exactly (they HAVE done a solid job of trying to create intrigue in their flagship belt, though) . But I do think that the quality of NJPW along with the timing of WWE's product being largely trash despite a strong talent roster along with the internet allowing people easier access to it is significant, and I just wish there was a way for the quality organizations to be under the NWA umbrella in such a way that people would take seriously.

I feel like we're on the brink of a new age in wrestling, I just don't know how it's going to come together. But I hope it makes WWE care about their product again.

• Locked thread