Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will die first?
This poll is closed.
ROH 20 22.47%
America 69 77.53%
Total: 89 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MassRafTer posted:

Me in reality: Throwdown was in Detroit with KENTA vs Roddy! You are likely thinking of Danielson vs Joe vs KENTA which happened earlier that month in New York City (550 paid, sellout.)

The Shaman of Cum: TRAP SPRUNG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I consider his reign to be the best ROH reign ever. There are a ton of genuinely great ones, but his chase and capture and reign are what got me interested in ROH beyond casually reading results and such.

What chase he was out of the company for 4 months, won it, was gone for 2 months, had some OK defenses (with a couple great ones) for a few months and then things got started.

Morishima's was the best ever.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He left after promising to leave if he couldn't win after having had multiple title shots, came back and won the title in a super emotional win, made convincing challengers out of Cabana, Delirious, and Roderick Strong (who was a nobody at the time), did one of the best sneaky heel turns ever (putting his title match with Joe ahead of helping ROH defeat CZW), had multiple fantastic title matches with Joe, Nigel, and others.

I don't even consider Morishima's run to be 2nd best, that'd be Joe. Followed by Nigel and Morishima. Morishima just didn't hold my interest at all anywhere close to as well as the other 3. Morishima's best match in ROH is the Fight Without Honor....with Danielson.

The first 9 months of Joe's reign are so boring. There's a few good matches here and there but it doesn't really kick off until 2004. ROH in 2003 was just nothing special. As for the explanation for his absence, come on the guy had other commitments, commitments that kept him defending for two months. It's bad storytelling.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Berzerker posted:

I got nostalgic for old ROH, some of the stuff I've been watching:
- Joe defenses
- Morishima defenses
- Danielson anything
- CM Punk's run where he got the title, signed his WWE contract on it, and had an amazing final match
- Cabana/Homicide (lol)
- CZW vs ROH
- Steen/Generico feud

Man I used to love this company

Watch the Black/Danielson vs AMERICAN WOLVES from Tag Title Classic, it's one of the best ROH matches from the last 10 years and a lot of people missed out on it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Joe/Magnus team owned because it led to takes about how the team being good was a sign Magnus was good, and then takes that since their matches against each other weren't so great it was a sign Joe was no longer good.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fart blood posted:

They are helping bankroll it.

Nope.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

coconono posted:

what did ROH do to piss off WWE so badly? It seems like as soon as ROH started doing 2k+ gates WWE started loving with them. The NXT launch, the talent lockouts and now cockblocking MSG(a building that WWE doesn't even love that much other than the McMahon statue).

The Kevin Steen action figure.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Every time I feel like we need a new OP I realize we don't.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
ROH keeps doing record crowds, who are you to doubt Roque?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
There was nothing weird about Jay Lethal bragging in a promo about having sex with AJ Lee before CM Punk did. Nothing at all.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

they're probably gonna run it in a smaller capacity like always

Well yeah that's why it will be easy to outdraw NXT.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fart blood posted:

I can't believe ROH had a show on the 20th and it got like 3 posts.

Is ROH really that cold?

Cold as in setting attendance records all the time, they are freezing!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

ROH is a vessel for New Japan talent to be showcased in America and nothing more

If a ROH show doesn't have New Japan guys...really who gives a poo poo

Their last PPV was pretty much all ROH contracted guys and did great business.

exploded mummy posted:

Record breaking crowds aren't always a sign of a good product, look at WWE or post mid 98 WCW

As it stands right now the biggest things getting people to watch and pay attention to their shows are a free youtube series and being able to showcase New Japan or CMLL talent.

their ability to kill interest in their world title in just 3 short years is astounding

The company is hotter than it has ever been, the negativity is astounding. Sorry they are putting on a product no one wants to see but that is what makes money in the US right now.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fart blood posted:

I uhhh can’t tell if you’re sarcastic or not

Everything I have said in my last two posts is the unfiltered truth. ROH is doing great business but no one talks about them because no one knows who their product appeals to. It's a group between WWE casuals and hardcore fans. Lots of Bullet Club fans, but lots of like...not obsessed wrestling fans. It's weird.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

that no one is watching or tweeting about it on our timelines over the nxt takeover tweets just like this year

All of those sad people tweeting about the less attended event while ROH does numbers.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

I was going to say that ROH is lucky that the NJPW partnership is so strong because of how much they rely on Bullet Club to sell out shows. But even that's not much of a help when ROH's product isn't even hot enough to keep everyone in the building for their main event this year.

Yes let us just ignore all of the non NJPW shows that are doing big numbers and the big increases every year. Meanwhile NXT can't sell out piggy backing off MITB (problems mounting?) while a card built around ROH talent sold more tickets in seconds. The smarks are sad the farm league NXT is declining while ROH has more momentum than a speeding bullet.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

Yes, lets ignore all the non njpw shows, because i honestly am unaware of them even happening from the lack of online buzz around them. I only knew there was a ROH show this weekend because ROH had a big indy name debut. My point isn't that they aren't selling out or whatever, my point is how dead the product is with people in online communities and how this thread is mostly dead unless there's big news like the MSG show. No one talks about upcoming matches in here or title matches. I don't see ROH matches being nominated in the MOTYC thread unlike years pass. You keep banging a drum about their business when I'm not talking about their business, I'm talking about their buzz and the word of mouth about them online being practically nonexistent.

I'm sorry that you are so focused on nebulous concept like "buzz" instead of the fact this company is riding a hot streak like never before.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I threw Ring of Honor into the Buzz O Meter and folks the Buzz is rising.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

exploded mummy posted:

you mean the PPV where the top 3 matches all had Bullet Club heels, the fourth one down (the first with no Bullet Club) had KUSHIDA, and the opener had LIJ

oh and the other two men's matches had Austin Aries and Bully Ray

someone tell Denver Colorado this

they recently booked Austin Aries and have Bully Ray

Ah yes Kushida drew that house and is worth mentioning. I love Kushida but we know who is drawing and why the buzz is charting. The Bullet Club ROH guys are hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It has been a good run but this thread couldn't contain the buzz.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3863989

• Locked thread